Having a VERY hard time living here, anyone else had this problem?

jonathancowen

After 7 years in Melbourne it's still a lot cooler than up here lol x

Yes we won't suggest he moves up to Cairns :wink: A Melbourne summer is far more uncomfortable than a Brisbane winter. For someone who obviously cannot cope with even mild pleasant heat it would not solve his problem.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Excluding tasmania where is the best place to go if you dont like uncomfortable heat? Dont say nowhere so stay in the uk lol

Depends...all mainline states have hot summers so you will not be immune anywhere so it depends what you prefer. Brisbane has less extreme summer temperatures but a humid summer that can make it feel hotter and then lovely weather the rest of the year with dry sunny pleasant winters, so summer is the worst season but a lot of the rest of the year feels better (not too hot) than a non humid pleasant summer elsewhere, even in winter.....in Melbourne and Adelaide they have non humid summers but miserable long winters by australian standards. Still better than most of the uk though. Perth has a very hot non humid dry summer with in between winters....rainy and cold compared to sunny Brisbane but not as long and miserable as Melbourne. Darwin and Cairns are mostly hot and humid in summer with lovely very warm pleasant winters.

Its quite a hard choice, im keen on going to perth because i like the heat but i hate humidity. I keep wondering if i would get used to the humidity in queensland because i like the sound of their winters plus its such a beautiful state. Anythings got to be better than our miserable winter lol

Its quite a hard choice, im keen on going to perth because i like the heat but i hate humidity. I keep wondering if i would get used to the humidity in queensland because i like the sound of their winters plus its such a beautiful state. Anythings got to be better than our miserable winter lol

It is impossible to say....the humidity varies a lot in queensland as you move up the coast. Brisbane being at the far south gets the least and Cairns gets the most. If you move away from the coastline the humidity drops a lot.

We get a lot of tourists from down south who just come for holidays and mistakenly pick summer (I guess because that is when their best season is so they assume the same here) and then walk around in the midday sun on a humid day and are miserable.

When you live here it is different...the rest of the year is treated like summer because the days are mostly lovely and the actual summer we treat like a winter somewhere else, i.e. change the way we live, travel, embrace the cooler parts of the day and siesta in a/c in the hotter times etc to mitigate the weather. Most people from temperate climates in the rest of Australia don't understand this and compare summer with summer. They don't realise we have our non humid good summer in non summer periods if that makes sense.

When I have seen the question of humidity raised on this and other forums many brits who live here have posted that it is not that bad and it is worth it for the rest of the year, but there are also people for whom it is too humid and not worth it and they go further south. Seems hard to tell what sort of person you will be...I'm fair and no heat worshiper but I think it is well worth skipping winter for....I actually enjoy a lot of summer as it is not always humid and I like the "feel" of it....the languid holiday sights and smells and storms...I also love the green sub tropical feel and some other cities are too formal and parched feeling for my taste but everyone is different obviously and has to find their niche.

How would Adelaide, Victoria, Tasmania be "very different" to Brisbane?

Because the Tasmanian climate is VERY different to Brisbane. I don't imagine there's any road sign 5 km from the Brisbane GPO saying "Caution: This road is subject to Frost, Ice and Snow" as there is just down the road from me in Hobart.

Because the Tasmanian climate is VERY different to Brisbane. I don't imagine there's any road sign 5 km from the Brisbane GPO saying "Caution: This road is subject to Frost, Ice and Snow" as there is just down the road from me in Hobart.

Yes, I know about the climate :wink: The comment I replied to seemed to imply there were other major differences apart from the weather and I was asking whether that was the intention.

Maybe Canberra is an option, slightly cooler winters (but still not that cold in my British opinion) highs of just in the low 40s for a couple of weeks at the height of summer but a very dry heat - definitely not humid. Very much the feeling of a small town even though its a city. Loads of gorgeous countryside and wildlife with masses of bike tracks in the mountains...

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Guest guest30038

There's no signs threatening frost in summer either. I just had to laugh when I saw this at Dove Lake. It's just as well Josh was dressed for the bad weather :goofy: :biglaugh:

ice.jpg

Maybe Canberra is an option, slightly cooler winters (but still not that cold in my British opinion) highs of just in the low 40s for a couple of weeks at the height of summer but a very dry heat - definitely not humid. Very much the feeling of a small town even though its a city. Loads of gorgeous countryside and wildlife with masses of bike tracks in the mountains...

I think the problem is it has been 18c-21c here for months on end and non humid. So if that is unbearable I think a Canberra summer with 30-40c would kill the OP.

"You may get the typical Queensland reaction.."It's too cold!!"" <- It was a joke :biggrin:

Hang on fish.01: it's first thing Saturday morning, haven't finished my first hit of caffeine - how is my brain supposed to register a joke? :huh:

There's no signs threatening frost in summer either. I just had to laugh when I saw this at Dove Lake. It's just as well Josh was dressed for the bad weather :goofy: :biglaugh:

ice.jpg

Yeah....but it probably snowed 3 days later up there! :biggrin:

The signs would be up and down like....(you know what).... it they tried to be climatically correct.

Yes, I know about the climate :wink: The comment I replied to seemed to imply there were other major differences apart from the weather and I was asking whether that was the intention.

Well, he seemed keen on outdoor stuff and good gyms and friendly locals. Just wanted to point out that they were all here. He may never have heard of Tasmania before :wink: or think it is in Africa, like many people do :biggrin:

I think the problem is it has been 18c-21c here for months on end and non humid. So if that is unbearable I think a Canberra summer with 30-40c would kill the OP.

See your point but it only reaches those temperatures for couple weeks a year, average temp across the year here is in the high twenties.

Most other states seem to have prolonged periods of high temps in the summer, plus as we are at high altitude it always cools down at night so no problems sleeping. Winter cools down but not too much -1 over night last night but predicted high of 21 today with clear blue skies (its already 9 degrees outside).

Just thought it was worth throwing ACT into the mix, we seem to get forgotten about up here ;-)

See your point but it only reaches those temperatures for couple weeks a year, average temp across the year here is in the high twenties.

Most other states seem to have prolonged periods of high temps in the summer, plus as we are at high altitude it always cools down at night so no problems sleeping. Winter cools down but not too much -1 over night last night but predicted high of 21 today with clear blue skies (its already 9 degrees outside).

Just thought it was worth throwing ACT into the mix, we seem to get forgotten about up here ;-)

You do sometimes. :) If it was a simple case of can't cope with the high humidity summer like most seem to have assumed then I would agree with you....Melbourne, Tassie or Canberra. I think this is more complicated though as the OP has just been through months of low temp non humid weather and if that is still too hot more drastic measures might be needed. Maybe the isolation of arriving in a quiet beach resort area without a job has unsettled the OP as well and they are feeling out of sorts. I know if I was moved from Brisbane to a quiet sunshine coast suburb, and some of them are really quiet, I would take a fair while to adjust - if at all, specially without a job.

Guest Rustica

Queensland is a state of Australia that is often humid and often gets torrential rain. I am a West Australian and I don't like Queensland and I don't like Brisbane. I live in Perth, Western Australia and just about every day, my husband and I go walking and jogging. Come summer we start early in the morning before the onset of the heat. Make sure you drink a lot of water before going out in the heat and take a bottle of water with you. We have just joined a new 24 hour gym called Jetts, They are small but they are in convenient locations throughout Australis.

There are friendly people around, I always seem to find them and I know you will too.

Best Wishes

Rustica

Perth, Western Australia

Being trapped in a place because of a mixed marriage is absolutely no fun at all I find. I arrived home on Thursday and can honestly say that I have had more casual chats and some awesome customer service in these two days than I had in the prior 2 months in Canberra! I find people here far more approachable and helpful even if it did take me a couple of attempts to get a weak long black (I know, Americano!!!).

Nothing out of the ordinary with Canberra either, it's the same when I go anywhere else in Aus. Today I went to the little supermarket down the road from my parents place and the bloke behind the counter recognized me, talked about my family and was very helpful. I have been shopping at the small local supermarket in my suburb for 28 years and not once has the bloke behind the counter ever indicated that he recognized me as a regular customer (same for the local newsagent!!!!). In Canberra, plenty of acquaintances and maybe a couple of real "friends" - in UK after being away for 32 years, a good half dozen "real" friends.

To the OP, part of the solution is to move somewhere where you BOTH have a feeling of compromise (dont discount Canberra, you can snowboard in reasonably close proximity if you have to stay in Aus). If you have situational depression the best solution is to leave the situation but if that isnt possible then ask your GP for a mental health plan and talk to a CBT or ACT psych for some strategies on how to cope.

Today in Cambridge however was a tad too warm for me - it's the humidity which makes the low 20s a bit unpleasant - my hair is running riot with curls and looks like I have been dragged through a hedge backwards!!!

Do you 'live' in Cambridge, Quoll? Bit too far to venture to the New Forest in that case. Your trips & experiences back to the UK mirror mine in a way. My parents meeting me at Heathrow, driving down the M3, taking in the countryside. We diverted to Dummer? in 1986 to see where 'Fergie' came from. I hated saying goodbye and the last few days were awful. When I got the opportunity to stay longer - losing my job - I took it. Perhaps it was a mistake to come back to OZ after my parents passed away.

Socially, however, my experiences have been different to yours but in the sense that my social life has been just as good in OZ as it was in UK.

I do know the staff and families who run the local shops here in Surry Hills and they know me and it's the same in some of the pubs. It's a bit more difficult in a big city 'burb than in a village but I've done OK.

Perhaps it's just luck? Have a good holiday anyway - I always liked September in UK.

Guest Been there
I think my niche is morzine, 2500m up a mountain, 1 hour drive from geneva. 20c in summer and -5 to -15c in winter with tonnes and tonnes of snow to board, snow shoe and sledge on. Bliss

Move to Jindabyne, winter and summer fun!

Queensland is 'different' to the other states. Everyone knows that. I like it, personally, but it has a different culture. ' Only in Queensland'...surely you must have heard the phrase?

Country Queensland can be very different and Queensland is very large and diverse, but Brisbane is the 3rd biggest city and despite the bag of Queensland cliches Melburnians seem to learn at school now has mostly the same mix of people you will find in the other cities scaled down to match the population and the cities maturation level. In fact many of the people are originally from Melbourne, Hobart and Adelaide :wink:

Archived