Having a VERY hard time living here, anyone else had this problem?

jonathancowen

Guest Sir Les Patterson
hi jonathon.

well let me first start by saying..I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!

Me and my husband and my son moved here nearly 4 years ago...and i still hate it...

we currently live in melbourne, i find the people so rude, arrogant, and most of all RACIST!

I am so over living here with the long boring days...the expensive supermarkets and the terrible driving standards.

the country is so empty, dusty and boring..

We are in the proscess now of moving back to the uk..( the land of life )..yes it may be rougher in some areas..and it has its downfalls..but by god i cant wait to get back...i reckon BIG THUMBS UP to the uk..

the aussies think there's nothing outside of australia..also they think thy are the only people who done anything...and its so NOT TRUE!

They are a bunch of inbred neanderthal's...

I say pack up and get the hell out of here before you die of bordem..

yours truly....:hug:

Ah ha.......I now know why I have prominent eyebrow ridges and my knuckles keep bleeding from dragging on the ground...........and my brother is actually my father as well.

Racist...hell yes.........can't cop whinging poms at all.

Don't let the door of the departure lounge at Sydney Airport hit you in the arse.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Been there
Ah ha.......I now know why I have prominent eyebrow ridges and my knuckles keep bleeding from dragging on the ground...........and my brother is actually my father as well.

Racist...hell yes.........can't cop whinging poms at all.

Don't let the door of the departure lounge at Sydney Airport hit you in the arse.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Well done sir!

One thing I've always maintained is that moving to another country solely because your partner/spouse wishes to is often the worst reason to go. It very rarely works out well.

To move anywhere is a step, to move overseas is a huge step, be it moving to Germany, Italy, Australia or the US. If you don't like where you will be living there, don't like the country, don't like the town, you will always struggle. You need to have other reasons other than because your partner wants to be there. You need to like it, love it, want to move there also because its what feels best for you both, as a couple and as a future.

I've lived in a number of countries overseas and know only too well how it can come undone for people moving because their partner wants to go.

Your headaches could well be stress related, not only hydration.

Personally I'd have a sit down with your wife and assess the situation based on what you both want as a couple and as individuals. If you are not on the same page, then you both need to work to get there, be it a move elsewhere in Aus or another country. If you compromise for the both of you, not just one of you, you should be able to find somewhere you can both be happy within Aus I am sure.

Good luck

I'm not the most outgoing of people but i reckon that if I moved to Buderim, started going to a cafe every day for coffee, to the pub in the evening, I'd become a 'face' to the staff within a few days. Then maybe get to know some of the regulars too. It's only a matter of catching someone's eye, smiling, saying 'gidday', taking a bit of an interest in the local area.

My brother Mick, who IS outgoing, amazes me how he gets in with the locals - does not matter which country - UK, USA, Australia, he is in the coffee shop or the pub chatting up everyone.

Not sure if I've been to Buderim. Definitely been to Gympie as I stayed the night, got talking to some people in one of the pubs too.

You know I would move down to one of the Southern States quicksmart if I were you. Victoria, Tasmania or even Adelaide would be very different and you certainly wouldn't be dripping in sweat in Melbourne( more rugged up against the cool weather) Heaps of cyclists in Melbourne and no village mentality.

You know I would move down to one of the Southern States quicksmart if I were you. Victoria, Tasmania or even Adelaide would be very different and you certainly wouldn't be dripping in sweat in Melbourne( more rugged up against the cool weather) Heaps of cyclists in Melbourne and no village mentality.

'no village mentality'? That has been my problem in Australia all along, and not just

ANY village but a Midsomer Murder mindset.

Huh? So your saying one or two travel shows make everyone want to move to australia?

Just showing the best bits of Oz with the sun always shining and houses that are out of reach for most newbies, never show what LIFE IS REALLY LIKE, when you have to get up at 5 in the morning and come home in the dark, don't get me wrong it is the same in the UK but these shows just show the positive side, this in turn is a reality shock FOR SOME when they get there.

Yeah fair enough i understand what you mean but its upto the individual to research the bad points of moving, if you jump on a plane without looking into things like cost of living, dangerous weather and wildlife, houseprices etc then thats just dumb. Dave gets up at 5 in the morning and back at dark so no change for him lol

Before moving here I spent alot of time cycling, running going to gym and surfing. Since being here I hardly do anything, the surf is always flat or packed with people who are blind or arrogant, am fed up of people dropping in or trying to stare me out of the water, the gyms are under equipped and tiny and I'm finding cycling hard as I am constantly dripping in sweat if I so much as walk in the sunlight.

I hate the weather, boiling hot and burning sun or boiling hot and biblical rain!

You sound as though you should try Tasmania - the best place in Oz for doing physical activity without dissolving into a pool of sweat and looking like a boiled beetroot.

We do get "climate refugees" from Queensland :yes:

We moved here because my English mother couldn't stand the heat and humidity on the north coast of NSW - but she loved it here.

And we here in Hobart have one third the rainfall of southern Queensland :biggrin:

Running and cycling (both road and mountainbiking) are very big here and the surf is not always packed as only the really committed ones surf through the cooler months (in wetsuits).

I'm not an expert on gyms but there are a lot of gyms around and the one attached to the Aquatic Centre where I swim regularly seems well equipped:

http://www.hobartcity.com.au/Recreation/The_Hobart_Aquatic_Centre/Fitness_Domain

Other outdoor activities like orienteering, rowing, kayaking, rock climbing etc. are also very accessible here - there's water and mountains wherever you go.

The new arrivals here seem to find the locals very friendly and chatty.

But of course it may be out of the question for your wife :sad:

You may get the typical Queensland reaction.."It's too cold!!"

Hi My Wife wanted to move back to Qld and I have come.......................................th "its so wonderful here, I wish I'd moved earlier' Am sure lots of people like it even more than I hate it, but not finding those comments to helpful at the mo.

Cheers J

After reading your posts I suspect that you never wanted to go to OZ in the first place. I think that you might want to have a little talk with yourself to find out whether OZ is really the problem. If you go into a situation expecting the worst it is more than likely going to turn out bad for you. Like one of the other poster said, people are probably feeling the your hostility towards them and reflecting it back to you.

Somebody also mentioned "Culture Shock", it is a very real problem, Google it, if you know it is going to happen you can understand why you feel like you do and you can combat it. Try an experiment, next time you go out try a "Hi " and a smile to the next person you meet. Even if they don't reciprocate you will feel better and I'm sure in time things will change.

I hope things work out for you!

Just got back from my local pub - the doorman knows my name, the barstaff do too, pleased to see me, as I was to see them. Couple of schooners, one free because I had to wait a couple of moments but really the barmaid was just being kind to me. She gave me a mug of soup too before I came home.

On the way down there I stopped at a 7-11 to get The Australian and started talking to the bloke in there - from Jordan. I asked him about Ramadan.

On the way back I nodded 'gidday' to another bloke outside the pub.

Is it really so hard to fit in and have a decent life?

Just got back from my local pub - the doorman knows my name, the barstaff do too, pleased to see me, as I was to see them. Couple of schooners, one free because I had to wait a couple of moments but really the barmaid was just being kind to me. She gave me a mug of soup too before I came home.

On the way down there I stopped at a 7-11 to get The Australian and started talking to the bloke in there - from Jordan. I asked him about Ramadan.

On the way back I nodded 'gidday' to another bloke outside the pub.

Is it really so hard to fit in and have a decent life?

No, but I bet they all thought you were a nutter :laugh: