ACS Skills and Education

danievh

I really hope someone can help me.

I've finally got my ACS letter back and was very happy so have been successful, however I noticed that the work experience and the the education are completely separate on the new points system. I'm not sure which of these the ACS qualification pertains to.

As far as I can tell, based on the ACS they recognised 5 of my 8 years experience and put in Group A as a Developer/Programmer. So I assume this gives me 10 points under Overseas and Australian Skilled Employment.

However the ACS letter says nothing to indicate my degree that was submitted with the application is Australian equivalent standard. I do have a Bsc Bachelors degree in IT which was part of my ACS application.

Does this mean my degree is equivalent or not? And if not, who do I need to approach to get this verified?

Any helpful hints would be fantastic!!!

Hi Danievh,

I had a similar sort of dilemma when I had my ACS done. I have been working in IT for 11 years but the ACS comfirmation showed I only have 5 as a Developer Programmer as a previous role was more support, spoke to my agent and they advised that DIAC dont look at the experience on the ACS letter for how many years you have been working. They look at the evidence you provide from your employer(s)

Also, when you log your application with DIAC you will need to upload copies of your degree certificate and transcript, I assume they verify it at that stage for Australian equivalent standard..

Hope that helps

Guest NeilEB

I don't think ACS are in a position to verify your degree - they are there to see if you meet the experience in your chosen field.

Where's your degree from and what is it? A BSc or a BA from a British uni will be fine I'm sure.

I don't think ACS are in a position to verify your degree - they are there to see if you meet the experience in your chosen field.

Where's your degree from and what is it? A BSc or a BA from a British uni will be fine I'm sure.

I have a South African Bsc IT degree, however I already had it deemed as a UK equivalent Bachelours degree. Who does the degree validation?

Thanks for the posts so far! Really helped me loads! So am I correct in assuming then that all I need to submit with my 175 visa application for the Education category is my degree papers and score sheet. And obviously ACS docs but not sure that actually pertains to the Education category.

Yes thats right, you will need to upload letters from your employers comfirming duties, hours, dates worked etc too....

Thanks for the posts so far! Really helped me loads! So am I correct in assuming then that all I need to submit with my 175 visa application for the Education category is my degree papers and score sheet. And obviously ACS docs but not sure that actually pertains to the Education category.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest angelforyou1986

Hi Could you please share new skill assessment result sheet format. I got my positive assessment on June 2011. in my letter all it says. this"You have satisfied the requirements on March 2008 ACS PIM3 Group A and then calculated experience Date/Position/Employer... then suitable candidate under software Eng" I can't see my qualification listed.

• 2 months later...

I found this:

To claim points for a qualification obtained overseas, it will need to be recognised as being of a standard comparable to the relevant Australian level qualification. Generally, you will be able to request an opinion on your qualification claims from the relevant assessing authority when you seek your skills assessment.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/175/eligibility-qualification-aust.htm

Also the PASA guidlines talk about the rcognition letter:

Applicants with a Bachelor Degree or higher with an ICT major and ICT skilled employment need to provide documented evidence that they have a qualification comparable to the educational level of an Australian qualification in line with the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) standards.

Qualifications include -

 Bachelor (undergraduate) Degree

 Graduate Diploma

 Higher Degree level qualification

The qualification must be a major in ICT, and the predominant objective of the course should be to educate individuals to be professionals in ICT.

The course should be in a highly relevant field to the nominated occupation ANZSCO code. Course units will be assessed according to the ICT content and whether units are highly relevant to the nominated occupation ANZSCO code.

Please refer to ANZSCO Code for current occupation codes and to ANZSCO Code Descriptions for occupation descriptions.

Also required for Group A, is a minimum of two (2) years full time professional ICT skilled employment in a field closely related to the nominated occupation ANZSCO Code.

http://www.acs.org.au/public/ska/docs/PASAGuidelinesforApplicants_July%202011%20v4.0.pdf

When I did my skills assessment i did not see this option to recognise the degree I thought that was the point of the skills assessment?

Do you need this letter from the ACS prior to lodging ur visa application?!

My Skills Assessment letter says that "You degree in -------- from ----- university awarded in the year ------ has been assessed as comparable to an Australian Masters degree with a major in computing". Since I am using an agent I am not sure exactly what needs to be done to get he ACS to assess your ICT degree.

My ACS letter states I am suitable for PIM 3 group A as a Systems Analyst. It was done before the 15th of August. I read elsewhere that before this date they didn't include the qualification on the skills assessment letter for some reason.

My ACS letter states I am suitable for PIM 3 group A as a Systems Analyst. It was done before the 15th of August. I read elsewhere that before this date they didn't include the qualification on the skills assessment letter for some reason.

Your problem is very easy to solve:

All you have to do is email ACS with your reference number, and just tell them to redo the letter to include the comparability of your university to Australian standards. If you are in "group A" you should have absolutely no problem with them doing this.

Your problem is very easy to solve:

All you have to do is email ACS with your reference number, and just tell them to redo the letter to include the comparability of your university to Australian standards. If you are in "group A" you should have absolutely no problem with them doing this.

I emailed them this:

"I took another look into this and I think that when I applied for the skills assessment it was in the old format? I believe my case was finalized before 15th august and thus education qualifications were not mentioned on my result letter. What do I do in these circumstances? Is it even necessary to have recognition letter in these circumstances?"

They responded if I wanted to have my qualifications on the letter I would need to do a review.

To be honest I am tempted just to proceed with the application to the DIAC while waiting on the review as I have wasted a lot of time with this. It is a group A which stipulates that the degree has to be comparable and also the work experience was less than 4 years, so it stands to reason I am eligble.

Thanks for the responses.

I emailed them this:

"I took another look into this and I think that when I applied for the skills assessment it was in the old format? I believe my case was finalized before 15th august and thus education qualifications were not mentioned on my result letter. What do I do in these circumstances? Is it even necessary to have recognition letter in these circumstances?"

They responded if I wanted to have my qualifications on the letter I would need to do a review.

To be honest I am tempted just to proceed with the application to the DIAC while waiting on the review as I have wasted a lot of time with this. It is a group A which stipulates that the degree has to be comparable and also the work experience was less than 4 years, so it stands to reason I am eligble.

What is your degree and which institution awarded it? With this information any RMA could tell you.

Anyway I contacted a migration agent that gave me the required information and they advised if you need qualification points to obtain the 65 points pass mark then I should get the ASC provide an opinion on the qualification.

• 1 month later...
Guest Mahsamr

Hello ,

I got my ACS in Analyst Developer in Dec 2011 and my degree is equaled to AQF Bachelor degree . and all my 8 years and 11 month work experience has been calculated , but my issue is:

I saw in many Assessment letter that wrote some lines like :

For the purpose of your application you have as of month / year satisfied the requirements of the ACS as stated in the PIM 3 policy manual for Group A

but this lines is completely omitted in my letter, what it is means and will be effected on Work/ degree point from DIAC?

Guest Mahsamr
Hello ,

I got my ACS in Analyst Developer in Dec 2011 and my degree is equaled to AQF Bachelor degree . and all my 8 years and 11 month work experience has been calculated , but my issue is:

I saw in many Assessment letter that wrote some lines like :

For the purpose of your application you have as of month / year satisfied the requirements of the ACS as stated in the PIM 3 policy manual for Group A

but this lines is completely omitted in my letter, what it is means and will be effected on Work/ degree point from DIAC?

I found my Answer ;) The format is changed :

ACS replied Email :

We are currently updating our skills assessment process to benefit applicants - a new format for skills assessment result letters became effective from 15th August 2011, whereby the result letter no longer states the Group type. The absence of this information is unlikely to affect your migration visa application with the Department of Immigration.

I guess that means ur Qualification is recognised as comparable to AQF stndrds...

#####################

MY version of query..

My main query was if my Edu Qualification is B.COM with insufficient ICT content(I have done certification courses though: RHCE, MCP, ORacle) and my RPL project Report will give me a Positive Skill Assessment Letter. I have total of 6Yrs W.Exp in the nominated category..

I learnt from my lawyer that they may take away some Yrs from your W.Exp to set off against the insufficient ICT category to award me the Skill commensurate..

P.S.I applied for ACS skill assessment some time back by ACS and the assessment recognised my Bachelors of commerce as comparable to Aus Bachelors degree with insufficient ICT content and therefore doesnt meet requirements for a qualification as prescribed in PIM3.

ACS however recognised my Work Experience.

Any help here.....

• 2 months later...
I emailed them this:

Hi Jove,

My assessment was done on Aug 17 and also did not have the qualification line. Did you have it reviewed by ACS in the end? If yes, was the process complicated or slow?

Thanks.

Originally I asked them to add the information but they would not do that. They said I would need to pay for a recognition letter and they asked me to email them if I wanted them to send me one(I had to pay for that). The process was much quicker than the original letter as they already had all my information there. I think it took 3 to 4 weeks.

To be honest though since doing all that I am not 100% sure if it is necessary. I am not a migration agent but the DIAC ask for the same documents that you send to the ACS for their assessment, it could be that you can leave it to the DIAC to make their own assessment of your qualifications as they make the final decision anyway. Though, if you did your degree in a country where forgery is a problem then the ACS letter could be required - I just don't know.

In the end I just paid for the recognition letter as the migration agent I asked(they emailed me some free advice) said if you needed the additional points for education it is 'better' to have it. I didn't want to leave anything to any risk - in the end I got my visa from the DIAC and have PR status , so I am happy about that.

Good luck with the ACS.

Originally I asked them to add the information but they would not do that. They said I would need to pay for a recognition letter and they asked me to email them if I wanted them to send me one(I had to pay for that). The process was much quicker than the original letter as they already had all my information there. I think it took 3 to 4 weeks.

To be honest though since doing all that I am not 100% sure if it is necessary. I am not a migration agent but the DIAC ask for the same documents that you send to the ACS for their assessment, it could be that you can leave it to the DIAC to make their own assessment of your qualifications as they make the final decision anyway. Though, if you did your degree in a country where forgery is a problem then the ACS letter could be required - I just don't know.

In the end I just paid for the recognition letter as the migration agent I asked(they emailed me some free advice) said if you needed the additional points for education it is 'better' to have it. I didn't want to leave anything to any risk - in the end I got my visa from the DIAC and have PR status , so I am happy about that.

Good luck with the ACS.

Thanks Jive. ACS really shouldn't force us to pay the additional for their inconsistency. But I am happy to know that you had the visa in the end. Cheers.

• 3 months later...
Guest Younes

Hello,

I assessed my qualifications as a ‘software engineer’ with the Australian Computer Society and they issued me the results letter that states that I am suitable to apply under this profession based on my ICT Masters degree and my years of experience. On DIAC website it is mentioned that: "Points for qualifications at Masters level can only be awarded where you have also completed a Bachelors degree recognized by the relevant assessing authority as being of a comparable Australian standard"; now I do have a Bachelors degree in Civil Engineering but the ACS did not mention it in the results letter since it is not an ICT major, although they requested the Bachelors certificate in the assessment process because it underpins my Masters degree according to their instructions. My question is: will I be able to obtain the points awarded for my qualifications if I lodge an application based on the results letter of the ACS or would you need an extra assessment for my Bachelors degree of Civil Engineering? and who should provide this assessment in case it is needed?

Thanks

Archived