What to take to oz? - everything!!!

Guest Parentinwaiting

Guest littlesarah

Newcastle is in NSW (it's about 3 hours North of Sydney). Not that I wish to get embroiled in the mattress or cost of living debates - I have no problems sleeping on almost any surface (thank goodness)!!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest daisysmith
Hi daisy, we are paying £8k for our 40ft but £2k of that is getting off the isle of man, so I would say if you are already in mainland uk then expect to be quoted around £6k.I think for the 20ft the total was around £6k.

Cheers

Claire

Thanks Claire! IOM is dear to my heart as I used to live there for 2 years 2007/2008 :)

We're still thinking what to take as we don't have loads of furniture anyway... we have to investigate for 1/2 a container or even less. Funny enough we have super king size bed which we absolutely adore, but as you can imagine is massive and the question is is it worth to take it?

Thanks for the info, I can't wait to get to Canberra!

Regards,

Daisy

Thanks Claire! IOM is dear to my heart as I used to live there for 2 years 2007/2008 :)

We're still thinking what to take as we don't have loads of furniture anyway... we have to investigate for 1/2 a container or even less. Funny enough we have super king size bed which we absolutely adore, but as you can imagine is massive and the question is is it worth to take it?

Thanks for the info, I can't wait to get to Canberra!

Regards,

Daisy

You are the only person I have met on PIO who has lived on the IOM! I have been here since 1978. When you going to canberra? we leave in September and get to Canberra early October.

Guest daisysmith
You are the only person I have met on PIO who has lived on the IOM! I have been here since 1978. When you going to canberra? we leave in September and get to Canberra early October.

We're trying to sell the house at the moment and as you know the timing is not brilliant...so it's very anoying not to know when we going to go. And when we sell the house we have to send the dogs before we fly... We are hoping September latest though.

Did you find accomodation already?

We're trying to sell the house at the moment and as you know the timing is not brilliant...so it's very anoying not to know when we going to go. And when we sell the house we have to send the dogs before we fly... We are hoping September latest though.

Did you find accomodation already?

We have had to decide to rent our house as not managed to sell, bit of a pain but it may work out for the best if we sell in a few years.

We have got short term accommodation for the first 4 weeks. We seem to be arriving at the busiest time of year for short term rentals as the Floriade festival is on mid sept to mid October. We found it difficult to find anything for us in ACT which was reasonably priced so we are staying in Googong just over the border in NSW.

We hope this gives us enough time to find a long term rental in ACT.

• 2 weeks later...
Our shippers are packing us up at the end of August, we have about 1500 cu ft of belongings. We have found it will be cheaper to bring everything over in a 40ft container than to sell a load of stuff for a 20ft container and then re-buying in Oz.

We have a super king bed, do they do bedding in that size? Would you recommend we buy a few new beddings sets in the UK and ship them over?

Cheers

Claire

We are looking to move to Oz in about 12 months can you recommend shipping company. have to start getting quotes. cheers Bella

Hi Claire

Bedding really expensive in Aus, we are moving to Melbourne this year and are buying everything here to ship over. I spent a week there in may/june and OMG was it expensive! Try places like King of Cotton as we have a superking bed and have just bought another one to take with us as a guest bed and if amazingly comfortable and all we paid for this was £512.00 so it makes more sense to buy the bedding for it too.

Hope this helps

PS I have a list of things which does keep growing by the day and it ranges from bedding to make-up, toiletries (v exp in Aus), clothes which on sale now will be great for Dec when we arrive for their summer and loads of books as we are all very avid readers and I have heard they are expensive over there.

deb

We are looking to move to Oz in about 12 months can you recommend shipping company. have to start getting quotes. cheers Bella

Hi Bella

We are using John Masons. Found them the best really to deal with so far and they come highly recommended on here too.

Our stuff is being shipped in about 4 weeks.

Regards

Claire

• 2 years later...

If you are spending your exchanged pounds in Aus then everything is really expensive. Once you are earning dollars then in my opinion prices are not much different to the Uk. Obviously some things that cost more, some are less - it tends to balance out. Buy fresh and in season and you will eat well. There are cheap clothes that are questionable quality. There are quality clothes that cost more. You take your choice. We've only been here for a few weeks but I can say that we are no worse off here than in the UK. Bananas are really not that expensive! Go to Spud Shed and the veg is dirt cheap! Shop around! Rentals however are scary expensive in comparison to buying!

Funny the OP mentioned mattresses, I love my aussie mattresses never had any issues and didn't find the uk ones any better or worse, maybe it is the type of mattress you are buying that is causing the back aches perhaps. I certainly wouldn't be shopping in Myer or David Jones either for those kinds of things, overpriced!

You are all so right about postage. Small items are do-able but anything else don't bother!

We stopped sending things back to the UK, after the first couple of times, of being charged stupid money, which was very often more than the goods cost!!!!!

We look out for M&S doing free post to Australia though, which they do quite often now, and stock up on bedding.I have just got a new Duvet, for 29pounds(King bed), and its fantastic,,,,would of cost me a fortune if I had bought the same quality in Aus(if they sold the same quality that is,,haha),an d I have stocked up on Duvet covers

Even though we are heading home to the UK soon, for good,,,,I just had to get some new bedding, as the offers M&S were doing, were just too good to miss:)

I wish we had not got rid of so many of our things when we first came out here,we were astounded by the inferior qaulity of goods here and the cost.It cost a small fortune to replace items, we had got rid of in the UK.

I would bring everything I could and more, if I was coming out to Aus.

Some of the above posts about the price not being to bad here are from those i think that may have been here for 10 years or more when they arrived and bought everything when it was cheap.

When moving here you have to start again which is expensive anywhere but yes especially Perth i would say it is close to double for almost anything. buying in the UK though isnt always a good idea. how do you know your sofa will fit in the new place etc....

Best thing is to still bring exsisting stuff, you may weigh up that its old and maybe not worth taking but when faced buying new in perth, it is then worth it.

What 90% of posters on here seem to rattle on about is the wages are higher but that is just due to the high dollar at present, it is falling and when it does prices will rise to make up for that. also what most dont realise is that they will in effect earn the same as you are taxed at a much higher rate and will also pay a months rent (UK) in 2 weeks here for a lower quality house.

The grass isnt always greener!

We have been retired here for over 10 years, yes the exchange rate certainly isn't in our favour these days, but whose fault is that?? The pound weaker and the dollar stronger, but you really can't blame the cost of living in Australia for that, if like us your income comes from UK. It's life, you wouldn't be complaining if it had gone the other way. Possibly Sydney is the problem, but we have access to farmers markets in QLD and places like that certainly keep the costs down. There are plenty of cheaper shops here that you can buy your basic clothes from. I buy my t-shirts from Rockmans and they are far better than any from M&S.

Any way there is no point comparing, if you chose to live here you either adjust, do without or move back. Perhaps because I haven't lived in UK for 20 years it doesn't bother me as much, especially having lived in Borneo previously where you definitely had do do without or make do.

M&S deliver here for free a lot of the time, so you can still buy clothes from there if that's what you miss, and if you buy in their sales then you certainly can't or shouldn't complain about the cost.

As for all the talk about mattresses!! we bought our new bed from Myers a few years ago and it's the most comfortable bed I have slept on, (and I've had years of experience) and have never had back ache or any hip problems since. So each to their own.

It really is best to stop comparing pounds to dollars, just hope though that the exchange rate improves in our favour.

We get more help with utility bills here than UK as pensioners, 10% discount in some shops here on cheap tuesday or thursday, and council tax much cheaper in QLD than UK.

Any way the sun is shining, the sky is blue and it's cheaper to run the air conditioning when needed than it was to heat the house in UK all winter.

Guest littlesarah

At the time of the first post in this thread, bananas were very expensive because of the floods that destroyed many of the plantations; so that was never really a valid comparison, in my view. I do find some things to be more expensive, but I also shop around, and usually find a bargain or two!

Personally, I never found M&S bedlinen particularly good value for money & used to buy mine in a local dept store. Here, I buy bedlinen from Spotlight, usually when it's on sale. Not that I've needed to buy any since I got the first lot 4 years ago, it seems to wash and wear pretty well.

For me, I'm not that fussed about material things anyway - clothes don't fit wherever I am, and if I can only afford cheap that's what I'll have & be grateful I don't have to work in a sweatshop. At least we all have the luxury of choice!

Archived