What to take to oz? - everything!!!

Guest Parentinwaiting

Guest Parentinwaiting

This is a bit of a rant and I'm sure it won't stop anyone wanting to come to Oz, but you really do need to be aware of how cripplingly expensive it is out here. Having been in Oz since October 2010 I can give you proof of this and why I suggeset you bring everything and the kitchen sink with you in your container.

The most important thing to bring (if not the whole bed) is to bring your English mattress. What is it with Ozzie mattresses? They are useless yet cost a fortune. In the Uk mattresses are made to be turned over and if you do so regularly with a good mattress they can last 20+ years. In Oz the mattresses - and believe me I hunted high and low - are a made in way that is obviously about saving money on the manufacture - but that saving will not be passed on to you! It is a nasty, inferior product at an inflated price. Their mattresses cannot be turned over, only around like a clock dial. All mattresses ar made with an integral topper. The deeper and more lush the topper the more you pay - and pay - and pay. I paid $1800 for a Queensize bed from Myer and that was 40% off as it was floor stock. I assumed at that price it would be a decent mid-range bed. No so - every morning when I first wake up I have back ache which only wears off when I walk around. Yet when I am back in UK (as now on a visit) and on my Vi-Spring - Oh Bliss. I wake up refreshed every day and never have back ache.

Other things? Bring as much as you possibly can from bikes (especially quality mountain or road bikes) to Wet Suits and swimming costumes, trainers - sports equipment generally. Yes you can pay a lot for items in the Uk too, but the difference is you can shop around at places like, say, TK Maxx (or M&S during their sales) and pick up incredible bargains. The price of a my surf life saving swimming cossie was $55 which I thought was really expensive for a plain costume, but you need it to be on duty.

Don't get me wrong, I love the climate, the place and the people.But I HATE the cost of living. Everything - and I do mean that - is just so expensive. Clothes can be cheap but when they are they will be cheaply made too with horrible material. Nearly all 'knitted' type tops are made with 100% Acyrlic. If you want wool anything you'd have to go to Myer or David Jones and pay a small fortune. And it's odd that it's so hard to find nice fine wool clothes as the one thing Oz is not short of is sheep. Other examples. In the Uk you can pick up a pack of four Crunchies, Mars Bars, Marathons etc for £1 which is 25p each - so lets say at exchange of $1.50 to the £1 that is about 38/40cents. Go into Coles or Woolies or Target - ONE of those bars is all but $2. A litre of Ribena in UK on offer can be bought at £1.24 so call that $2. On offers in Coles - $6+ . And Mozarella cheese which here (UK) works our at 65 cents for 125 gms is $4.99 in Coles or $3.99 in Aldi for 125 gms. Bananas. Well OK there were problems in Oz with the floods etc. But in Morrisons the other day a Kilo of bananas was 68p, so about a $1 a kilo. At the point I flew out of Sydney the price everywhere was between $12.99 - $14.99 a kilo. What can I say - I'm eating bananas like a monkey here as I can't afford them when I get back.

For women - buy stocks of all your make-up. 3 for 2 Maybelline mascaras here work out at £5 each - so $7.50 and they are 10ml. Exactly the same product in Oz is not only $17 for one - but it is a 20% smaller size at 8ml !!!

Finally, in UK I was signed up to a local authority for a direct debit of £21 per month which gave me Monday to Friday 8-5pm access to swim, use classes and the gym as much as I wanted. Normally I used the pool 3 times a week and did two classes - all that for $8/9 a week. I can find nothing even remotely like that in Sydney. One exercise class is $15 minimum and a swim $5. So I don't do classes anymore and buy a block of tickets to make swims a little cheaper.

I don't know why the Ozzies don't protest at the prices they have to pay. But no one seems to care. When I do my whinging Pom bit my daughters (both Citizens and both earning natch) just say to me "Mum, build a bridge and get over it"! So I have to bite my lip and try not to talk about it, but all joking aside I really do find the prices and cost of living my biggest head ache and a genuine worry.

Here in UK they are moaning about prices. Me on the other hand I find it so cheap it's as if they're giving stuff away. I'm returning next week to Sydney and I've bought as much as I can carry to bring back in my suitcase because it is soooo much cheaper.

Bottom line everything is so much dearer in Oz even given the cost of a container you will save on what you would pay in Oz for often quite inferior goods.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paid $70 for a pair of trackie pants for my son - similar on a uk website 17 GBP, so had them delivered to my dad who'll post them over. Books are also expensive, I use book depository all the time and even some of my aussie colleagues are using it now.

Our shippers are packing us up at the end of August, we have about 1500 cu ft of belongings. We have found it will be cheaper to bring everything over in a 40ft container than to sell a load of stuff for a 20ft container and then re-buying in Oz.

We have a super king bed, do they do bedding in that size? Would you recommend we buy a few new beddings sets in the UK and ship them over?

Cheers

Claire

My mum and sister both live in oz and recently came over for a visit, they left last week. Everywhere we went it was "Oh my god! look how cheap that is!" literally everywhere! They were buying loads of stuff to take back with them, they could have easily come here with an empty suitcase and filled it.

If you can order stuff from UK amazon and have it shipped then that solves the problem doesn't it? We'll prob buy stuff, get it sent to the inlaws and get them to post it over. I suppose the only concern is that if you do it reguarly will the customs and excise start charging duty on stuff?

Our 457 visa application was lodged last week, we hope to be there by the beginning of september. We too have a super king size bed, we're going buy the bedding here. Its hugely expensive here so i dread to think what its like over there.

I understand that earning more dollars offsets some of higher prices but I want to save as much as possible and if i can do it by buying stuff from the UK, i'm going to.

I might take your advice on the wet suit and other sports equipment and get it here. We want to have more of an outdoor lifestyle over there so will grab the gear here.

Guest DaneD
It is expensive there is no doubt. However the current exchange rate makes it seem incredibly worse than it is.

i was in melbourne in 2008/2009 and prices seemed resonable when i did a currency conversion everytime i bought something. then when i went back last christmas prices seemed to have shot up, but then i realised, it was because the £ was weak. prices hadnt really changed at all, a pint was still about $7!

Guest guest36187

Prices have gone up massively here since I arrived in 2005. Now I have my iPad I get all my books on kindle e books. Half the price of print editions! Less room on my shelf too!!! Lol

I recently ruined a good pair of Gant jeans, which I'd bought in the UK on a trip a few years ago. The price in DJs was about $180. Solution: went online, found a UK mens shop with a reasonable online presence and bought a pair that were on sale (order placed on Sat the 18th). Total cost with shipping = $120! The package arrived today (29th).

I now make a point of telling staff in stores when I plan to buy stuff online, in the hope that the message gets back to store management.

Having said this, I note that Wi-Fi iPads are priced between £399 and £559 whereas the price range in Oz is $579 and $799. A good buy here even at the current exchange rate.

Our shippers are packing us up at the end of August, we have about 1500 cu ft of belongings. We have found it will be cheaper to bring everything over in a 40ft container than to sell a load of stuff for a 20ft container and then re-buying in Oz.

We have a super king bed, do they do bedding in that size? Would you recommend we buy a few new beddings sets in the UK and ship them over?

Cheers

Claire

As a super-king size bed user I would recommend you bring some over, you will probably have found there aren't many outlets for this size in the UK anyway. Debenhams and John Lewis are good, I would imagine M&S do that size as well. Debenhams alraady ship to Aus for a reasonable fee, but you will find a lot of bed linen on their website says this size not available, when you can get it off the shelf in their shops. John Lewis has plans to ship to Aus later this year. So stock up a few year's worth in the meantime. I would also consider putting in a couple of good quality mattress protectors from John Lewis.

The most important thing to bring (if not the whole bed) is to bring your English mattress. What is it with Ozzie mattresses? They are useless yet cost a fortune. In the Uk mattresses are made to be turned over and if you do so regularly with a good mattress they can last 20+ years. In Oz the mattresses - and believe me I hunted high and low - are a made in way that is obviously about saving money on the manufacture - but that saving will not be passed on to you! It is a nasty, inferior product at an inflated price. Their mattresses cannot be turned over, only around like a clock dial. All mattresses are made with an integral topper. The deeper and more lush the topper the more you pay - and pay - and pay.

:err: Sorry, but this isn't true. We bought a new mattress in April and it doesn't have a pillowtop. Nor did most of the mattresses we tried at the store and any pillowtops they did have were removable for washing and because they tell you to both flip and rotate your mattress for even wear. We got ours from Makin' Mattresses and we're really happy with it.

Was also going to say that my brother (lives in Perth) buys sports stuff for him and my nephew online from UK stores and gets the delivered to my mum's. My mum then posts them over and he pays her the postage. Much cheaper than buying in Perth apparently.

Guest RichB

The price of everything here is exhorbitant and its all cheap crap quality made in China..I bought the missus a pair of UGG boots from Amazon US, for $ 225 AUD, which included postage..The exact same pair in Australia were $ 300 AUD...We went to the shop tried them on to make sure the size was right and then ordered online..Will always buy online now if possible..The sooner more australian retailers start going under the better...Ripping us off big time..

Guest Parentinwaiting

Hi All

Those of you pointing out about the exchange rate are of course correct. If you can earn a decent amount in Oz you will soon adapt to the prices and it won't be a big deal. It really is those living on savings who are so badly hit at the current time - miniscule interest rates on any savings held in UK plus the all time low exchange rate for the Oz $ makes you notice every cent.

SHEETS! Firstly, plenty of super king size availabe in Oz. I've bought from Target and also a shop in one of the Malls called House something or other. In both cases after a couple of washes those sheets looked shabby and old. To get decent sheets/bedding suggest using places such as Myer or David Jones which sell with prices from average to costly - but then that will be for quality, top of the range, very high thread counts. So I'd strongly advise that if you decide to buy in Oz to wait until the sales are on. But for what it's worth, I'd buy M&S everytime. I took M&S sheets (some not even new) with me. They were just Marks normal sheets, nothing fancy and not even thread count mentioned. Yeet they wash and wash and still look fresh. Look out for when M&S do 30% of homewares or snap some up in their sales - the SuperKings are often available then.

FYI I did bring over an empty suitcase and I've got so much can't take it all back!!

Guest Parentinwaiting

Well said Rich, I do wish there would be some kind of rebellion(!) to bring the retailers and food sellers up with a start and realise they can't charging as they do. Trouble is, when bananas are all but $15 a kilo and people still buy them - those selling will keep charging top dollar.

Guest Parentinwaiting
:err: Sorry, but this isn't true. We bought a new mattress in April and it doesn't have a pillowtop. Nor did most of the mattresses we tried at the store and any pillowtops they did have were removable for washing and because they tell you to both flip and rotate your mattress for even wear. We got ours from Makin' Mattresses and we're really happy with it.

Jurls it is true where I am - Sydney. Why would I make it up?! I hate the things and tried everywhere (and practically had a row with the saleman in one bed shop) yet I was told they do not make/sell the convential mattresses that we know in the UK. Which part of Oz are you in? I ask this as I've never heard or seem a Makin' Mattress but if you are right I so wish I had known before spending so much on a hollow piece of rubbish. I wanted a mattress I could flip as well as turn and well done you to find them.

Guest Parentinwaiting
The price of everything here is exhorbitant and its all cheap crap quality made in China..I bought the missus a pair of UGG boots from Amazon US, for $ 225 AUD, which included postage..The exact same pair in Australia were $ 300 AUD...We went to the shop tried them on to make sure the size was right and then ordered online..Will always buy online now if possible..The sooner more australian retailers start going under the better...Ripping us off big time..

Again right on! How is it when Oz is relatively so close to China it still costs so much?

Guest Parentinwaiting

Cheers

Claire

Hi Claire, see my reply futher down:-)

Guest Parentinwaiting
Paid $70 for a pair of trackie pants for my son - similar on a uk website 17 GBP, so had them delivered to my dad who'll post them over. Books are also expensive, I use book depository all the time and even some of my aussie colleagues are using it now.

Just be aware that postage of items from UK to Oz is huge if anything has much of a weight so you can lose any gains - or maybe only your dad is the loser!!!!:jiggy:

Guest Parentinwaiting
It is expensive there is no doubt. However the current exchange rate makes it seem incredibly worse than it is.

Of course you're right. If I was getting 2.60ish $ to the pound as my brother was when he went to Oz nearly 6 years ago I don't suppose I'd be moaning. Got to take the rough with the smooth. Having said that, I still think the quality of the goods (especially clothes) is poor for the prices that people seem happy to pay.

Jurls it is true where I am - Sydney. Why would I make it up?! I hate the things and tried everywhere (and practically had a row with the saleman in one bed shop) yet I was told they do not make/sell the convential mattresses that we know in the UK. Which part of Oz are you in? I ask this as I've never heard or seem a Makin' Mattress but if you are right I so wish I had known before spending so much on a hollow piece of rubbish. I wanted a mattress I could flip as well as turn and well done you to find them.

I'm not saying you made it up, I just think that you have been given totally incorrect information!! I'd never buy a mattress from Myer though.:eek: Anyhow, I'm in Canberra and you're right Makin' Mattresses are in Canberra, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Brisbane and Newcastle which is why you won't have come across them.

In Sydney, I'd probably be contacting http://www.rockdalemattressfactory.com.au/index.php. I'd be very surprised if they couldn't supply a mattress without a pillowtop. Did you talk to these guys?

Again right on! How is it when Oz is relatively so close to China it still costs so much?

I've seen Chinese made clothing available in M&S but better quality and cheaper than Chinese made clothing on sale in Oz.

So the conclusion I draw is either buyers for Australian stores seeks out the cheapest and nastiest stuff and sell it at a ridiculously high margin (i.e. ripping peole off) or Australian stores are porly managed and need the high margins to stay in business.

As I said in a different post, best to live a hybrid life here: enjoy the weather, better quality food (even if some is more expensive), open spaces and friendly people and eschew the TV/radio (watch stuff online), crappy daily newspapers (with articles ripped off the Times, Independent and Guardian) and buy your books/CDs/DVDs/clothing online.

Guest Parentinwaiting
I'm not saying you made it up, I just think that you have been given totally incorrect information!! I'd never buy a mattress from Myer though.:eek: Anyhow, I'm in Canberra and you're right Makin' Mattresses are in Canberra, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Brisbane and Newcastle which is why you won't have come across them.

In Sydney, I'd probably be contacting http://www.rockdalemattressfactory.com.au/index.php. I'd be very surprised if they couldn't supply a mattress without a pillowtop. Did you talk to these guys?

Hi again Jurls. Thanks for the link above, I will contact them on my return and see what they can offer. It's not a pillowtop I take exception to of itself. But where they are made integral to a mattress it telegraphs loud and clear it's hiding an inferior product underneath. So I reiterate to anyone who cares, (probably slashing wrists with boredom by now) if you are coming to Sydney or NSW bring your own mattress! Who knew a person could get so obsessed with mattresses?!:jiggy: