is camping good or dangerous in oz

hogan

hi, we have recently bought a tent and camping gear to camp arouind norfolk, we have our visa but are waiting to sell our house, what i would like to know is is it safe to camp in oz we are looking to move to the central coast nsw and would only want to camp on a purpose built camp ie not in the outback, but just didn't know if there are too many dangerous little things, or is camping a big thing in oz ?

Guest MADTOM

We went camping for 10 nights in SA over Easter with our 2 little ones.

Not dangerous at all. Obviously keep your wits about you i.e. shake your sleeping bag out, don't go traipsing in the undergrowth for a pee in the middle of the night (snakes) and bring the mosquito repellent. We were eaten alive on our first morning!

hi, we have recently bought a tent and camping gear to camp arouind norfolk, we have our visa but are waiting to sell our house, what i would like to know is is it safe to camp in oz we are looking to move to the central coast nsw and would only want to camp on a purpose built camp ie not in the outback, but just didn't know if there are too many dangerous little things, or is camping a big thing in oz ?

Camping has to be a big thing in Oz: you should see how many camping equipment stores there are here! :biggrin:

Guest alison and Simon

Reminds me of something I read somewhere that said ' in USA they call it survivor,,,,in Aus they call it camping':tongue:

True maybe of NT?? We have camped in Vic and love it xx Same advice as given - lots of mossie repellant and pee in a potty!!:biglaugh:

Guest Sir Les Patterson
but just didn't know if there are too many dangerous little things, or is camping a big thing in oz ?

Whatever you do just be very mindful of Drop Bears. They can be very vicious.

Guest guest37336

Hi Hogan.

Go for your life matey,:jiggy::jiggy:, can't honestly think of anywhere else that truly brings about a sense of freedom, especially in Australia.

Have camped everywhere and glad I did, few basic rules (dependent on where you are) mozzie repellant, plenty of access to fresh water, don't leave food out in the open, check bedding and clothing on a regular basis, if going truly 'outback', let someone know where you will be and an itinerary, and so on.

I honestly can't think of a better way to spend a few weeks/months/years,:yes:. Hope you have a great time matey.

Cheers Tony.:yes:

Well it took 4 years of the hubby and kids pestering me to go,lol,, but im happy to say i have just arrived back from my maiden camping trip intact and happy,lol.

It is brilliant, we went to a place with no ammenities close by (other than a compost toilet) so i was chucked in at the deep end for a first time, but jeez what a fab time we had !!

Go for it, you will love it ,theres definately nothing like sitting around a campfire with a few friends watching the stars and listening to the waves come crashing in. Even the rain held off for us most of the time,lol.

Cal x

Guest guest37336
Just back from a weekend camping in Katherine N.T no problem.

Camped all over Oz just Tassie and W.A to do.Apart from the odd spider,cockie and stick insects never had anything dangerous.

Tell you what though Janine, some of those stick insects can be a bugger. The amount of times I have mistaken them for tent rigging,:shocked:.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

stick insectNew-Species-of-Borneo-stick-insect.jpg

stick insectNew-Species-of-Borneo-stick-insect.jpg

Its a good few years ago when we were in Oz, but my favourite memory was

camping on Frazer Island, closest thing to HEAVEN!!!! Lake McKenzie amazing.

I remember saying, "Now I feel as Im in Australia"!!!!!!

Just check sleeping bags etc, and dont leave food hanging about.

There is loads of serviced campsites throughout Oz too.

On one occasion we had a campervan, you just drove in, and you got a choice

of non-powered or powered plot (so you could power up and recharge).

I never camped before I camped in Oz, and I survived!!!!! without the hairstraighteners!!!!

HAVE FUN!!!

cazmayo

thanks guys, still sounds a little scary to keep checking your sleeping bag, at the moment till i get alot braver i will go to a site wilth electric, and one with a sign on the door" no creepy crawlies please" xxx

Why? this is an honest query, I m curious...

Every year, some idiot parks their tent under a big gum tree - probably thinking they are going to be in the shade or sheltered from the rain or such - and ends up being killed. Those big trees drop their branches with no warning - even when it is quite calm and still - and tents provide very little protection from a few tonnes of wood landing on your head. Sadly we have had a few in recent past where kids on school trips have been squashed.

Every year, some idiot parks their tent under a big gum tree - probably thinking they are going to be in the shade or sheltered from the rain or such - and ends up being killed. Those big trees drop their branches with no warning - even when it is quite calm and still - and tents provide very little protection from a few tonnes of wood landing on your head. Sadly we have had a few in recent past where kids on school trips have been squashed.

gotcha, won't be doing that then

to be honest i think a tent is a tent but just be aware that they're very strict at the airport and if you take your tent from the uk it has to be cleaned to practically brand new or they'll take it off you and disinfect it - not sure if they charge for this or not. I had them take walking boots off me and dip them in something without getting charged, just had them handed back to me dripping wet!

UK tents are generally more weatherproof than OZ tents, because they're designed to cope with the wind and rain of the Scotish Highlands. Provided they have good ventilation, then I'd bring your own rather than buy here. Many Australian Tents seem to just be designed for fair weather camping, with the fly sheets only coming halfway down the tent, resulting in many unhappy campers if there's any strong wind or rain.

Provided you never have food in the tent at any time (either keep it in the car or in the dedicated food cages), and keep the mesh doors shut, you shouldn't have any issues with creepy crawlies seeking shelter or larger wildlife tearing the tent down to get at the food smell.

As with any camping equipment, just make sure it's been cleaned, and is at the top of your luggage so you can pull it out easily to show customs.

The most dangerous part of your camping trip will be the drive to the camp site.

As Quoll said, don't camp under a tree - you don't want to be speared by a falling branch in the night, or sprayed with shrapnel if it gets struck by lightning.

Most snakes will do a runner well before you see them.

Watch out for ticks, particularly with kids.

Guest Scotinaus

Camping is amazing over here and one of the things I love most about it... I would give bush camping a go.. The silence is fantastic and camp sites are full of other, loud people! And there aren't even any brick Walls to separate you...:) just my humble opinion!

Love that camping lark. Lived for 2 years in tents in the Kimberlies of WA and the worst thing that happened, a six inch scorpion was in my bedroll. Nowadays, Jo and I just lay a groundsheet out, put up a mossie net and watch the magnificence of the night sky and look out for any satellites, or meteor streaks. Done that all over this majestic land. Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Guest 47403

We love camping already planned our first trip, as soon as we're settled in Perth we'll be exploring the South West around Walpole and Denmark can't wait.

We'll be selling our tent before leaving and just buying one more suited to the Oz climate, we'll ship all the other camping gear though.

Guest siamsusie

We have the tents etc.. but we basically use our double swag , lying there looking at the stars is amazing.

I forgot, that my first experience of camping in Tasmania was when I was babysitting some children, so took them to a Big4 camp site.

Woke up to one hell of a din in the fore tent, and 2 possums were sitting in my chairs eating the marshmallows.. pink foam gushing from their mouths... it was like a teddy bear's picnic...!

Archived