is camping good or dangerous in oz

hogan

We love camping already planned our first trip, as soon as we're settled in Perth we'll be exploring the South West around Walpole and Denmark can't wait.

We'll be selling our tent before leaving and just buying one more suited to the Oz climate, we'll ship all the other camping gear though.

:jiggy:......i await my invitation ..........:wink:.......we loved the camping , still getting our gear together ect......but we have the basics .......

thanks guys, still sounds a little scary to keep checking your sleeping bag, at the moment till i get alot braver i will go to a site wilth electric, and one with a sign on the door" no creepy crawlies please" xxx

if you want to start off as a novice and have it easy then there are some with en-suite bathrooms .......:yes: shower ,toilet and sink right next to your tent ..........i know thats not 'proper camping' but we had 3month old twins and 3 girls along with another family so for us at the time it was bliss as they were still having a night feed.....we still had two tents and a kitchen tent ...we even had two bar fridges and microwave :laugh:.....there was also some guy who use to deliver fridge freezers ........was fantastic......so if we go to that one again we dont need to take our bar fridge ,just hire one $60 a week.......:yes:

Guest DaneD

camping in oz is amazing. i visited some lovely places on the coastline around the vic/nsw border. at one particular campsite in nsw i was enjoying a morning cuppa and a budgie landed on my shoulder and just sat there. later on i fed some kangaroos and then i chased a lyre bird through the bush, but he got away!

Guest Guest 47403
:jiggy:......i await my invitation ..........:wink:.......we loved the camping , still getting our gear together ect......but we have the basics .......

Sounds good to me pal, box of vin rouge round the camp fire while the women gas and the kids play.

Sounds good to me pal, box of vin rouge round the camp fire while the women gas and the kids play.

i look forward to it ....i will order some vintage Berri Estate 5 ltr cask traditional dry red claret asap as its hard to come by , you need to get in there quick as the Tasmanians/ Scots/Dutch buy in bulk .............:yes:

Hiya

We love camping and manage to do it in Yorkshire with our lovely weather. We too are going to buy a new tent when we arrive. We are hoping that we will need one with less living space, and it may be possible to eat outside...... ratherr than shelter from rain reading a book!

Sarah

Guest littlesarah

We shipped our tents (having cleaned them thoroughly), and find them just as good for camping over here as in UK. It's good to have some living space included - it does rain sometimes - and having guaranteed shade is sometimes a bonus.

If you're planning a weekend trip, some of the National Park camping spots are great - many have toilets, and a solar shower is fine for a quick hose-down.

There will always be a few bugs, wherever you camp. Most of them are completely harmless, and in my experience it's mozzies that are the biggest nuisance. In my experience, making sure your flyscreen is always shut, burning sandalwood sticks and wearing repellent all help to reduce your likelihood of going home covered in bites. Alternatively, take someone like me with you, and the mozzies will be so busy munching on them you'll be bite-free!!

Hi Sarah

Not sure about that, the Mozzies love me too.

Glad to hear you got your tent through customs, we weren't even going to bother!

Sarah

hi, we have recently bought a tent and camping gear to camp arouind norfolk, we have our visa but are waiting to sell our house, what i would like to know is is it safe to camp in oz we are looking to move to the central coast nsw and would only want to camp on a purpose built camp ie not in the outback, but just didn't know if there are too many dangerous little things, or is camping a big thing in oz ?

you be right .........:wink:

hopper-7.jpg

hopper-7.jpg

We bought a tent in the sales last year, but haven't had time to go yet. I am a little reluctant, our last camping experience was when we were students, camping in The Gower area of Wales. The campsite was awful, some little sod had done a poo in the sinks in the shower block. We went and found a hotel, and then our car (a little MG midget) broke down so we had to find a garage with the right parts. Not a good holiday.

I am sure the kids would love it, but of course now it is winter. I am thinking that September isn't so far away, so maybe we can take biggie out of school for a week for a camping holiday. If anyone has any lists of what you need to take camping, especially with two small kiddies, I would be most appreciative!

Guest Guest 47403
We bought a tent in the sales last year, but haven't had time to go yet. I am a little reluctant, our last camping experience was when we were students, camping in The Gower area of Wales. The campsite was awful, some little sod had done a poo in the sinks in the shower block. We went and found a hotel, and then our car (a little MG midget) broke down so we had to find a garage with the right parts. Not a good holiday.

I am sure the kids would love it, but of course now it is winter. I am thinking that September isn't so far away, so maybe we can take biggie out of school for a week for a camping holiday. If anyone has any lists of what you need to take camping, especially with two small kiddies, I would be most appreciative!

Register on here http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/ and do a search for camping lists it's a good site for info about UK camping but the basics are pretty much the same where ever you camp.

Guest DaneD
I absolutely love camping and was a bit scared myself that it wouldn't be quite so big in Australia. We are so used to no harmful bugs in the UK though. Need to really be careful out there! Not sure my wife will be so pleased :)

i find that im more fascinated by all the bugs in oz, not scared. i was really excited when i saw a tree frog or a mantis etc, or when i saw a huge earthworm! i worked on a farm in cooroy, qld for 3 months and i never saw one snake or dodgy looking spider. i did get bit by some green ants, but thats because i accidently stood on a nest.

i understand why people are worried; its the picture of oz that the media paints, but its totally overblown. camping in oz is amazing, i love it.

Guest littlesarah
Hi Sarah

Not sure about that, the Mozzies love me too.

Glad to hear you got your tent through customs, we weren't even going to bother!

Sarah

I figure I must be pretty damn tasty!!

We had the dilemma when we bought the tents - do we buy cheap and get rid, or better and keep? So I did a bit of research and we decided to get decent tents with the intention of shipping them. Cleaning them wasn't too bad - we did it after we'd taken apart our furniture so had lots of room. But if you have kids, I'm sure you'll have a million other things to sort out instead!

Funnily enough, we lived in Norfolk for a long while before we moved to the Central Coast. We camped a few times at the Camping Club site at West Runton - it's lovely, and there are some nice walks round there. Much as I love it here (especially now the rain has finally stopped and the sun's out), I do miss my old home sometimes.

Good luck with it all.

S

If anyone has any lists of what you need to take camping, especially with two small kiddies, I would be most appreciative!

I'm just down the road (or rather over the bridge) from you in Gymea.

I'll PM you with some info on a really good local site that is ideal for small children and the perfect place to get you into camping Aussie style. The owners don't really want the world to know about it so I'll respect that and not put up the info on the interwebs!

Archived