What's life like for a guy in construction on a FIFO mine?

I know :0) it will be we have our med's wednesday and then the long wait will finally be over fingers crossed, where is Perth are you looking at moving, we went for a year in 2009 and been itching to go back ever since xxxxxxxxxxxxx

We are initially staying in Northern suburbs, but all depends on our work situation really. We went last year for a month, and cant wait to get back too.

Good luck with your medicals, im sure you will be fine. They are nothing to worry about at all. All very straight forward. Tina

Did a lot of that sorta stuff in the 70s and 80s; 240 mile drive to work and back each fortnight for the weekend with the family. The hardest part is for the wife, maybe holding down a job to help with finances and looking after the kid(s) while the bloke does his 12 on, 12 off.

The bloke gets 'all found' while the wife has to do the lot.

Make no mistake, the wife has the most difficult job and does it well. icon14.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest siamsusie
Thanks Susie, that would be really helpful.

We are aware of all the other things that are required, but thanks again.

Scott has pretty much all that is required thank goodness, although i think he will have to still do the first aid, but we will worry about that once there.

The only hurdle we really have is the fact he will have to attend balcatta college for 2 weeks full time, but that has all been arranged. And he starts soon after we arrive.

Thankyou for the info, and yes the electricians thread has been very helpful for us over the couple of years.

We will start applying to all the companies you have suggested soon, but would be grateful for any other info you have regarding work as a contractor.

Tina

Hi Tina,

As promised...

Electricians Focused Recruitment Tue 07 Jun Port Hedland, Karratha & Pilbara We are currently looking for WA "A" Grade Electricians for our Karratha based client who are conducting Annual RCD Testing. 3/1 Roster for 3 months.

(This might get a foot through the door)

Electrician BHP Billiton Group Tue 07 Jun Port Hedland, Karratha & Pilbara We are currently seeking an experienced and qualified Electrician to join our Nelson Point maintenance team.

FIFO Electricians Nilsen Resources Pty Ltd Sun 05 Jun Port Hedland, Karratha & Pilbara

• NEW OPPORTUNITIES

• EXCELLENT RATES

• 4+1 FIFO

Following the award of additional works, Nilsen is again recruiting Electricians for ongoing 4+1 FIFO work

Electricians (Camp Maintenance) Focused Recruitment Fri 03 Jun Port Hedland, Karratha & Pilbara

• Immieidate starts available

• BHP and RIO Tinto Inductions highly desirable

• Good opportunity to enter the FIFO industry

Our client an industry leader in remote facilities maintenance, currently require experienced Electricians for camp/village maint project

http://www.seek.com.au/JobSearch?Page=3&location=5054&industry=1225&Refinement=Location&SearchType=Paging

With best wishes

Susie x

Guest siamsusie

Hi Guys, I am putting up a thread under WA regarding FIFO.

Might be of interest to some.

Susie x

hi we are hoping to be in oz later this year. have now got our visa and are just trying to sell the house and then were off.

my oh is a boilermaker and has been informed that majority of the work is in WA on a FIFO basis.

we are initially looking to go to NSW due to my family being there. we have been informed that some companies fly from Sydney - Perth - campsite and back again. oh has a friend who is over in oz at min and is putting some feelers out for him on the job front. not looking forward to being on my own for 3 wks but needs must and im used to it as oh has worked away lots before.

• 1 month later...
Guest uktoWA
I dont know which area you will be working in, so of course it varies ...

My husband is an electrician/signals technician which involves usually working solo up bush.

The temperatures by the railway lines on the ballast have been up to 55C so its very hot! The heat is a huge factor in WA, my husband is a native so he is pretty acclimatised to it., but that can be exceptionally draining.

I think a concentrated effort also has to be made to ensure you have plenty of YOU times together rather than the mundane otherwise life is pretty boring!

I have just asked my husband re "ego" amongst the guys!... I believe its, get the job done , and get out.:wideeyed:.

Susie x

Hi Susie

I have seen from your previous post that your Husband works as a signals technician. Do you mind me asking if you or your husband would have any information for someone like myself who currently works on the railway within in the signals in the UK. And trying to get a job preferably with a visa sponsorship. As we have only just started to try and get the information together to apply for visa.

Thanks in advance

• 3 months later...

Archived