What's life like for a guy in construction on a FIFO mine?

Hi all, I'm currently considering a FIFO in WA. Having never worked FIFO before I'd really appreciate it if some of you could share your experiences. The rota is 3 on 1 off.

I'm a married guy, late 20s no kids.

How do the wives cope? Do any of them live near to the mines?

Thanks in advance. :biggrin:

Guest siamsusie

Hi,

I lived in Karratha for 5 years (OH 25 years) and it is now inundated with FIFO camps.

My husband now FIFO's... you are exceptionally well looked after, the food is great, some camps are dry, some have bars . Of course you are basically there to work, but the accomodation is clean, TV's etc.

We used to go to the camps for dinner on many occasions, the food was better than any restaurant lol and as cheap as ....

Some wives find it hard, some get into a routine ... I personally like the FIFO life, its variable.

Drawbacks are not being around to see the children 24/7, emergency home situations dependent on where you are can pose a problem.

Which camp are you thinking of FIFO'ing into?

Susie x

Hi susie, thank you for your prompt reply and sharing your experience!

They're around Perth area, I'm being told it is one of three (sorry I don't remember the names!)

So you lived in or around the mine camp? We were thinking that my wife would stay in perth and I'd see her every three weeks?

Guest siamsusie
Hi susie, thank you for your prompt reply and sharing your experience!

They're around Perth area, I'm being told it is one of three (sorry I don't remember the names!)

So you lived in or around the mine camp? We were thinking that my wife would stay in perth and I'd see her every three weeks?

I lived in the town (small town).... my husband brought his home in the 80's when property was $40,000, houses fetch in the region of $800,000 now.

Land release is scarce and properties retain their value!

Most of my husband's collegues FIFO bar about 10 I think, and they work 8 days on 6 off. which is pretty good and not too stressful for the wives.

My husband is doing 2 + 2 which is bearable.

The "pro" for you it is a foot in the door with an excellent salary but you are working for it on 12 hr shifts.

The "con" 3 + 1... you are going to be pretty exhausted when you reach home...

if you are near Perth, then you wont be having the 2 hr flights which is a bonus, mind you the air miles come in handy:wink:.

Susie x

Guest bowow2011

Hi My soon to be husband (27) will be doing FIFO as a soon to be wife (23) I am so scared about him going and will miss him so much the scariest part was being on the other side of the world and being away from him but I am lucky to have friends and family in oz to keep me busy but also thinking about the benefit's the money is fantastic and we will have the best start in life. There are also mining oppertunities within the perth district so you may not be too far from your wife in the future.

Hope it all works out for you both :smile:

It will be hard 3 and 1, especially for my wife. We know a couple living in perth and my sister lives in Perth so she will know at least two people there to begin with.

We are looking at it purely from a financial point of view, we could save more in a year than we could in three or four years in the UK.

I'm assuming, maybe naively, that there will be internet in the rooms on site or wireless? We could talk every night etc?

Do wives work part time? It would be difficult to get time off for ther husband's week off i would imagine if they worked full time?

Guest bowow2011

Hi that's what we're thinking of the money..... it is just too good an oppertunity to say no to, that's good that your wife has some friends and family out there it will make it easier when do you move over ?

Guest bowow2011

Also yes from what we have heard there are alot of on site facilities internet ect My Oh has promised to ring me every night! I will be working part time and finishing a nursing Degree whilst out there which will also keep me busy.

Guest siamsusie

Well I work full time usually ... and your wife could find casual work which might work out ok for you guys.

Yes internet access is available (dongles) or WiFi.

Most of our friends on FIFO have brought land and built the most amazing houses in Perth all within a few years, thats one of the advantages amongst the cons lol.

The most important aspect is that you are having "Australian" experience, getting your tickets etc therefore increasing your marketability.

Susie x

Guest bowow2011

Hi SiamSuzie that is very true our friends both work at the mines long shift's ect and they managed to build and pay off the most beautiful house in margaret river in 4 years the oppertunities are fab xxx

Absolutely loving the idea of building my own house! I heard that available land was rarely released for domestic development? I must have got it wrong.

Susie how do you manage to get time to see your guy when he's off if you are working fulltime?

I've dreamed of doing it in the UK and that's all it will remain here. The wife would be well up for it I reckon.

Is there anything to consider about FIFO that may not be obvious to us now?

I heard that as the sites are male dominated then there is a lot of ego amongst the guys there, anyone had experience of this?

Guest bowow2011

Lol that's what is keeping my positive a beautiful home, there will be some con's .... we've yet to find these out too.... are you moving out soon?

Guest siamsusie
Absolutely loving the idea of building my own house! I heard that available land was rarely released for domestic development? I must have got it wrong.

Susie how do you manage to get time to see your guy when he's off if you are working fulltime?

I work FIFO 2 on 2 off which works well for us. It is like a perpetual honeymoon:biglaugh: x

Guest siamsusie
I've dreamed of doing it in the UK and that's all it will remain here. The wife would be well up for it I reckon.

Is there anything to consider about FIFO that may not be obvious to us now?

I heard that as the sites are male dominated then there is a lot of ego amongst the guys there, anyone had experience of this?

I dont know which area you will be working in, so of course it varies ...

My husband is an electrician/signals technician which involves usually working solo up bush.

The temperatures by the railway lines on the ballast have been up to 55C so its very hot! The heat is a huge factor in WA, my husband is a native so he is pretty acclimatised to it., but that can be exceptionally draining.

I think a concentrated effort also has to be made to ensure you have plenty of YOU times together rather than the mundane otherwise life is pretty boring!

I have just asked my husband re "ego" amongst the guys!... I believe its, get the job done , and get out.:wideeyed:.

Susie x

I dont know which area you will be working in, so of course it varies ...

My husband is an electrician/signals technician which involves usually working solo up bush.

The temperatures by the railway lines on the ballast have been up to 55C so its very hot! The heat is a huge factor in WA, my husband is a native so he is pretty acclimatised to it., but that can be exceptionally draining.

I think a concentrated effort also has to be made to ensure you have plenty of YOU times together rather than the mundane otherwise life is pretty boring!

I have just asked my husband re "ego" amongst the guys!... I believe its, get the job done , and get out.:wideeyed:.

Susie x

Hi Susie

We will be arriving in Perth 24th June to start our new lives, we cant wait but a little anxious too. My OH is an electrician too and hoping to work on the mines. Do you perhaps know the best agencies to contact for work. He has to attend college for the first 2 weeks that we arrive in order to obtain his A grade, but will be free to apply for jobs after that, Just wondered if you knew the best places to try.

Thanks so much

Tina and Scott

Guest bowow2011

I know :0) it will be we have our med's wednesday and then the long wait will finally be over fingers crossed, where is Perth are you looking at moving, we went for a year in 2009 and been itching to go back ever since xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Guest siamsusie

Hi Tina & Scott,

Have you gone through the Electricians threads to see what it entails, because my husband trained over here. There are bound to be Electricians to assist you also on this.

Some of the guys require the following... if you are working for Contractors.

• Western Australian A-Grade Electrical Licence
  • Western Australian Electrical Contractors Licence
  • Sound experience with domestic and commercial electrical works
  • WA Construction Safety Awareness Card (Blue Card or national White Card)
  • Current WA drivers licence
  • A senior first aid and/or CPR certificate

It depends who you are working for of course.

Try people like Rio Tinto, BHP Biliton, FMG... I will pull up a few links for you tomorrow , I hope that is ok.

Susie x

Thanks Susie, that would be really helpful.

We are aware of all the other things that are required, but thanks again.

Scott has pretty much all that is required thank goodness, although i think he will have to still do the first aid, but we will worry about that once there.

The only hurdle we really have is the fact he will have to attend balcatta college for 2 weeks full time, but that has all been arranged. And he starts soon after we arrive.

Thankyou for the info, and yes the electricians thread has been very helpful for us over the couple of years.

We will start applying to all the companies you have suggested soon, but would be grateful for any other info you have regarding work as a contractor.

Tina