Think long and hard before coming home

Bod

Guest guest30038
How about a "think long and hard before moving to Oz" thread in the welcome forum?

I think the length of time that poor folk wait for a visa, current house prices in both Isles and the exchange rate, should have given 'em plenty of time to think long and hard.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Pom Queen

I have just deleted 15 posts from this thread, please can i remind you all to read the sticky at the top of the page, thank you x

Guest zambezi15

You get debate there, thats wonderful. You obviously have found a niche, enjoy, I found everyone so correct and PC whereas here they are so delightfully outspoken.

Guest The Pom Queen
How many people see stickys though.

I never go into individual forums I always just look at latest posts across all forums.

Usually I have not idea what forum a thread was in.

Well there you go Parley i bet you have seen it now:biggrin::wubclub:

Guest The Pom Queen
Yes I will certainly 2nd that sentiment. Thanks Kate.

Well please take note:wub:

I've just booked a girls weekend in London to see a concert at the O2 (1.5 hours by train from Yorkshire).

Wow u must be on a supersonic train especially as it takes approx 1 hour to get from kings cross to Greenwich!!

Hoping for a move to oz in the coming year or two.......hoping not three!

As I said before check the trains (before you think I'm talking rubbish)...none stop from Yorkshire to Kings Cross 1 .5 hours done it loads of times. Incidentally my husband used to get the train from Rosewood, which is just outside Brisbane into the city...32 stops and an hour.....

My point is accessibility in this country.

Yes mate but you may want to take a look at how far O2 is from KX...........

Wow u must be on a supersonic train especially as it takes approx 1 hour to get from kings cross to Greenwich!!

As I said before check the trains (before you think I'm talking rubbish)...none stop from Yorkshire to Kings Cross 1 .5 hours done it loads of times. Incidentally my husband used to get the train from Rosewood, which is just outside Brisbane into the city...32 stops and an hour.....

My point is accessibility in this country.

Yes mate but you may want to take a look at how far O2 is from KX...........

For Goodness sake I know exactly how far it is....my point is that I can be in London from Yorkshire in an hour and a half...you cannot get that in Australia:arghh: 'Mate'

We are going to Menorca on Friday....we can fly there quicker than it took my husband to get to work in Australia....because of the none existent train service between Toowoomba and Brisbane which is only 90 miles away. Tell me where here in the UK 2 cities that close together that wouldn't have a train service!

We are going to Menorca on Friday....we can fly there quicker than it took my husband to get to work in Australia....because of the none existent train service between Toowoomba and Brisbane which is only 90 miles away. Tell me where here in the UK 2 cities that close together that wouldn't have a train service!

Apologies for taking this off track - but have a nice time in Menorca

Guest The Pom Queen
Apologies for taking this off track - but have a nice time in Menorca

Its one place ive never been, have fun :wubclub:

Connie I think it's unfair to compare the rail travel system from Toowoomba to cities in the UK. Rail travel like any other business is a numbers game and profits have to be made. In NZ a few years ago the passenger rail system was suspended in the South Island because the entire population was only about 1 million people and rail services couldn't be supported. I don't think a Brisbane Toowoomba line would be all that profitable. Also in the UK, public transport appears to be used much more between cities, whereas people seem more inclined to drive here in Australia. Good luck with the holiday in Spain. One of the reasons I'm looking forward to living in the UK again is the close proximity of Europe, so handy...Syd.

Guest Scotinaus

On a side note, I am shocked how expensive train tickets are in the UK! Special deals aside on trains at crap times, the regular fares you can get even 3 months in advance are ridiculous. Over £100 return London to Edinburgh... I was a student when I lived thereast and didnt realise how much cheaper we got it... Have they increased a lot? It makes me think I won't be able to see my family as much as I want to when we live in London again. Even to Peterborough to see the in-laws is extortionate...

Guest siamsusie
On a side note, I am shocked how expensive train tickets are in the UK! Special deals aside on trains at crap times, the regular fares you can get even 3 months in advance are ridiculous. Over £100 return London to Edinburgh... I was a student when I lived thereast and didnt realise how much cheaper we got it... Have they increased a lot? It makes me think I won't be able to see my family as much as I want to when we live in London again. Even to Peterborough to see the in-laws is extortionate...

:laugh: And for some very strange reason the fares differ if you are doing Edinburgh to London. The reason they give is that London's salaries are greater!:mad:.

I used the the line from Scotland to London on a frequent basis... Virgin... there isnt any room for the luggage, plain and simple, whoever designed that train needs their head testing.

Toilets constantly out of order... Train timetables are call centres in India.. I found GNER the best out of the two!

On the upside:biggrin: they used to have special deals where you could travel first class for a very low price off peak, but overall I loathed the trip!

I dont think privatisation did the railways any favours in the UK!

I'd keep an eye out for cheap flights.

Presumably Ryanair or Easyjet fly to Edinburgh. You would get a ticket for a lot less than £100.

I wouldn't trouble a rail journey from Edinburgh to London...it's much cheaper to fly. When back home, I fly Edinburgh to Bristol to visit the in laws and it's cheap and easy. Obviously, booking in advance gives you the cheapest flight price.

why would you live in toowoomba if you work in brisbane

Guest Unha99Y

why would you live in toowoomba if you work in brisbane

I guess for example why people commute from Birmingham to London

Guest Scotinaus
I'd keep an eye out for cheap flights.

Presumably Ryanair or Easyjet fly to Edinburgh. You would get a ticket for a lot less than £100.

Definitely will do - its such a shame as I avoid airports whereever possible. By the time you factor in the cost to and from the airport, and the time you spend at the airport, waiting for luggage, etc its usually not worth it. Except in this one probably! :wink:

Definitely will do - its such a shame as I avoid airports whereever possible. By the time you factor in the cost to and from the airport, and the time you spend at the airport, waiting for luggage, etc its usually not worth it. Except in this one probably! :wink:

Hate Heathrow with a passion! Why not try a flight to Frankfurt and a connecting one direct to Edinburgh? Sorry didn't read the thread, only the last page - I thought that you were travelling from Australia to Edinburgh!

Guest Scotinaus
Hate Heathrow with a passion! Why not try a flight to Frankfurt and a connecting one direct to Edinburgh? Sorry didn't read the thread, only the last page - I thought that you were travelling from Australia to Edinburgh!

You are so right! I am going back to Edinburgh in July for 2 weeks and am flying with KLM to Amsterdam and then onto Edinburgh. I refuse to go to Heathrow if I can ever avoid it. Same with LAX!

Depends when you go I guess....I've just paid Selby in Yorks to London KX return £46.00 which is on a weekend and nice times. I do agree that the trains were cheaper in Oz just extremely limited. It's like the TV I will never moan about the licence fee again for the quality of the beeb.

Archived