Expo in Birmingham 4th June - anyone going or been?

eweasel

Guest cdphobe

12:15 session on Saturday for us - going to be very interested to see what information is available,

Al

Guest cdphobe

Hmm, so how do we spot each other? Carnation on the lapel :laugh: or just a wide eyed and lost look?!?! :wideeyed:

Hope everyone has a safe journey and finds the event useful tomorrow,

Al

Hmm, so how do we spot each other? Carnation on the lapel :laugh: or just a wide eyed and lost look?!?! :wideeyed:

Hope everyone has a safe journey and finds the event useful tomorrow,

Al

Like it - I'll be the one with their eye lids glued open :eek:- was at Take That last night - didn't get home til 2 and was up to baby at 4!!!

See ya there

Guest jaffas1

I agree with Goochie. We were there for the first session. OH and myself left after half an hour. Not much info that we didn't know already. Very disappointing. :sad:

Guest cdphobe

Well, I'm a complete newbie at this, and this was the first event we'd been to so certainly can't compare with others. Have to say though that the presentation provided me with little information that I hadn't already gleaned from websites, although the chat 1:1 with a DIAC representative about the new process was useful, confirming that the new scores and ratings will definitely be in during July.

As for jobs, I spoke to three of the representatives offering jobs that match my current post (and career history for the last 15 years). Unfortunately the response tended to be "you're not from the right sector" (i.e. mining or construction) even though the skill transfers easily, as I have done previously. Plenty of references to medical positions, and quite a few State and Territory government reps were there as well if you fell into the relevant occupation list for sponsorship.

All in all I'm glad we went, and we've come away with some documents, but little more knowledge and not really any closer to identifying specific employment opportunities. One organisation looked interested in my CV, although probably not for the specific jobs that they had with them, so here's hoping,

Al

Guest biomedical scientist

We went to the 12.30pm slot - found it a dissappointingly waste of time. I have gathered more info off the internet than I got at the expo. Don't know what I expected - there were loads of nurses there looking for positions but I was told just to look on internet for jobs for my profession! And I thought no kids were allowed....! Anyway, still waiting to hear about a job I applied for a few weeks ago for employer sponsorship ...

Not impressed, didnt need the visa stuff (got one) :biggrin:then there was only one company i could speak too. Too many people there and i thought children were not allowed, pity the people who wanted to hear about the visa stuff over the noisy children!!! Big let down for us :sad::sad:

We had a positive expereince today. Yep we didn't need to hear the visa talk at the beginning as we are 2 thirds of the way through process, and it was a packed out room. But we got to see the three stands we had thought would be of most use to us and got some useful feedback. We also got contacts for potential employers and the DIAC were able to answer a few questions we had on our visa application.

I suppose its down to expectation and perhaps your occupation as it was geared towards either medical professionals, the automotive and industrial skilled trades.

They were really pushing the 457 visa route and on the Queensland and WA stands we were given the encouragement that there was the work for OH in the metro area.

All in all not a bad couple of hour spent for peace on mind on 176 Visa and for a few contacts for employers. :-D

yes we found it good aswell got some good feedback from wa stand

glad you had a good afternoon - sorry we missed you the afternoon - our 9 month old was running my mum ragged :jimlad:

let us know how you get on with your WA SS

Est

Guest HighPeakJulie
will do woman on the wa stall said we should hear this week there getting them through fast,ive filled in 176 form ready

How long is the WA sponsorship taking at the moment?

Thanks

Julie

Archived