Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

Alan Collett

Guest Helaine

I understand what you are saying but its not fair on those tradesmen that are genuine, my husband is a brilliant painter & decorator and has been in the trade for over 8 years he did a 2 year apprentership on the job but has no formal qualifications....if hes good enough for a company to employ and send to peoples house to do a job then hes flipping well good enough to get his trades assessed:arghh:

he shouldnt have to be penalised because the TRA dont check people out correctly....thats what it seems anyway, what about all those trades that dont have qualifications, locksmiths, plasteres etc....people that have been in the job for years are being stopped because of those who have to bu**s**t !!

it is our dream to get to australia to give our children a better life and at the moment this dream has been shattered...i dont mean to get at you but we have been left with no explanation and no idea what to do next.....

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest maxxangel

This is quite a blow and I'm sitting here giving thanks that my husband has got his TRA done already. His was an assessment of work experience, but he did have some certificates to help back up part of his training. I curious if this would allow him to now get assessed under this new ruling though as the certificates don't fully amount to the complete job that he got assessed in.

Just a thought if this new ruling does stick; for those who have yet to be assessed, could you maybe look into doing a part time course that would give you the certificates needed. I know that it means more time going by, but if it gets you where you need to be going... I was going to look into doing something like nursing if my husband didn't pass the TRA and hubby was going to do his degree with Open University.

Fingers crossed for everyone that things will work out.

Cara

I understand what you are saying but its not fair on those tradesmen that are genuine, my husband is a brilliant painter & decorator and has been in the trade for over 8 years he did a 2 year apprentership on the job but has no formal qualifications....if hes good enough for a company to employ and send to peoples house to do a job then hes flipping well good enough to get his trades assessed:arghh:

he shouldnt have to be penalised because the TRA dont check people out correctly....thats what it seems anyway, what about all those trades that dont have qualifications, locksmiths, plasteres etc....people that have been in the job for years are being stopped because of those who have to bu**s**t !!

it is our dream to get to australia to give our children a better life and at the moment this dream has been shattered...i dont mean to get at you but we have been left with no explanation and no idea what to do next.....

Yes! it does seem tough. Both of my brothers did their apprenticeships in painting and decorating (working for the old man) and neither of them completed their City in Guilds so would be in the same boat as you? I hope you find a way through this.

Guest tracy hunt

I'm a little confused. My husband did the City and Guilds, but Australia don't recognise these as formal qualifications.......or do they?? Just don't know if we should be worried or not!

Tracy

Guest silverstargazer38
I'm a little confused. My husband did the City and Guilds, but Australia don't recognise these as formal qualifications.......or do they?? Just don't know if we should be worried or not!

Tracy

We got city and guilds but no certificate, had to do a statutory declaration, due to city and guilds unable to supply copy of lost certs, apparantly found out it was useless anyway, unless you had all the mark sheets that went with it, we did it before computers even existed when everything was in folders! back in the early 80s.

My OH Tony has been a plasterer for 20 years, have just got references and currently we are self employed.

Just sent off tra and we never saw anything that said pathway a, b, whatever

we haven't received ack yet on tra! maybe its been sent back:swoon:

Did Australian government read about exodus from Britain?

and thought hell better make it harder?? I don't know. :arghh:

julia XX thinking of you all

Guest Helaine

apparently the TRA dont even know which pathway they assess you by until they have looked at all your details, its a nightmare, my hubbie got an email from VETTASSESS who said that they may be able to help got to call her to night,hoe they test and examine a painter & decorator i'll never know.... we have looked to see if there is any other way of going to oz and it looks really grim, cant even get sponsored by a regional government as you have to send your trade skills letter so with out that we are absolutly stuffed:cry::arghh::realmad:

Guest silverstargazer38

All we can do really is wait and see what happens?

Just wait and see if anything else happens within the next day or two!

The STRESS is emense i know:arghh:

Having a couple of kalm tablets.................

I havent told OH Tony about this yet...... poor tony its been his dream for years

JULIA XX

Well having a bad day already then this comes I've been in my job 21 years with the same firm no offical qaulifications tra was posted on the 6th of august,had an email from my agent yesterday to send me a a attachment sent from tra to say they had received my application thought any time now and this just hope they have already passed me and my letter is in the post

just going to find someone small and spotty who wears glasses to punch!

Guest traybears

hi tracy,my o/h passed tra recently as painter & decorator with city and guild.:smile:city and guild is reconised in oz as a qualification.so you should be fine.just want to say to everyone else that i really hope you do all find a way in,im sure you will.if not it will be australia's loss:sad:!tracy.

Tracy

We were in a panic this morning after reading about the TRA announcement, after receiving acknowledgement of application on the 27th August we couldn't beleive it. I spoke to our agent today and he has informed us that as OH has City and Guilds qualification + certificates he should be ok and it is recognised in Oz. So fingers crossed. Thinking of you all.

:arghh:

Emma + Paul

xx

Guest tracy hunt

Thanks for reassuring me everyone.

I did have an after-thought though, seen as TRA will not be dealing with Plumbers after 1st Sept it probably doesn't apply to us anyway (it is now VETTASSES). Luckily Bradley has his City and Guilds certs anyway so hopefully ok. To all of you worried..........thinking of you and good luck.

Tracy

Guest The Boultons

In total panic!:arghh:

Have spoken to agent - she says NOT to worry too much - that they won't be able to keep this up and if our tra didn't get there in time there are other options.

I suppose the options are:

1. Wait n see wot happens

2. Pay for the skills interview/assessment

To be honest i feel sick with worry. You just feel you are getting somewhere n then a nice kick in the teeth!

Fingers crossed to all of you who are in the same boat - hope u all get good news soon!

Guest Helaine

Hi all

god i dont think i could feel any more upset, angry confussed....:arghh::cry::sad::wacko:

we are seeing if there is another way to get out to oz.....wont be holding my breath though.

mind you i did speak to an agent in QL who has also advised to "sit tight" as the statement does say until further notice, may be they have had such a huge influx of trade assesments that they need to clear what they have before we all send ours over, i think that will be wishfull thinking.

The migration agent said they are all up in arms about it have have gone to the top peeps to see if can be changed back and they are all doing what they can to get the pathway put back in, what i want to know is why they did it in the first place, i just dont get it, so will do as they say and sit tight get everything ready for the tra just in case.......

Guest Liz and Paul

Hi

Our TRA was approved in March and we are nearly at the end of the process just waiting on meds and PC to be done - Will this affect us??

Liz

Guest Liz and Paul

Hi Helaine,

Thanks for that.

Good Luck to you - there seems to be a few different routes to getting to Oz so I'm sure you'll make it!

Liz

Guest silverstargazer38

Been on another site found people are getting this email, I think they are setting up a sort of skill test like vetessases

:swoon:Thank you for your enquiry to Trades Recognition Australia (TRA).

If you have not completed a formal or informal apprenticeship, a vocational traineeship or an Australian Qualification, TRA is unable to assess you in accordance with the new changes to the UAC.

Over the next few months TRA will be considering options for recognising the skills of potential migrants who do not meet the requirements outlined in the amended UAC.

Guest Helaine

Thanks for that......we have been onto vettassess and they seem to think they maybe able to help, so going down that route to start with.

Changes also go against all principles developed in Oz via education and training system in AQF that "theoretically" guarantees that experience is assessed as equal to formal study and qualifications.

Not to forget employers, internationally, complaining that formally qualified candidates often do not match those without quals but have very good experience....thus perform better in workplace, and can formally study anytime.....

I'm a self employed printer engineer and thought I was dead clever getting my TRA away yesterday with all my supporting docs from suppliers and customers and letters from previous employers about my training with them and manufacturers (not totalling anywhere near 900 hours).

Not going to look so clever now am I? I just hope there may be some light with me doing it for myself for the last 15 months after working for others in the business for 6 years before that.

Just found out that although my TRA will probably come back, we can use my wife's , hers is going through Vetassess and as we are going sponsored route hers is enough.

On top of that they've knocked down the points for sponsored route to 100 instead of 115.

To those still affected, I hope it all turns out ok.

Guest silverstargazer38

with my tra i sent statutory declaration about city and guilds not having my certificate. But i did send 3 certified copys of certificates which were nvq 3 Gyprock plastering. So i haven't a clue what pathway they are going to do?? :wacko: Took ages to do the thing!!

Hi Alan, sorry to pick your brains on this but I am really confused. We have had our applicaiton back today claiming it falls under pathway D. The application was stamped before Sept 4th (22nd Aug) for a start - how can they do that!

My question is my husband does have a formal qualification! He has completed 3 years + of city & guilds training and then went self-employed straight after, now very successful. He has put his current contacts at risk in asking for references hopeing they won't ask what it's for, and now this. The only thing he doesn't have is a. Never been employed just self employed and b. no formal apprentiship as he was 31 when he completed his training and went stright into work.

I can't make sense of this. Is it an oversight of his qualifications. As he is an electrician from 1st Sept he can't apply to TRA anyway.

I would be so grateful if someone could help as this is so gutting after working for months on this applications - I am so mad.....

Bernie

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Bernie & Everyone

Bernie, I'm not following you round the forum, honest!! However I thought I had mentioned the British Epats thread on this thread. Not because I want to promote the Rival Concern but because anybody in this TRA predicament needs all the help they can get at this time.

The British Expats thread is here:

Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications : British Expat Discussion Forum

On a more general note, now that TRA Pathway D stuff is starting to come back, I would imagine that the Agents might be inundated with work for the next few weeks, trying to find altrnative routes for their clients and so on.

If Alan does have time to read this (and has time to reply) I have a question, please: I understand that the MIA is doing some pretty serious lobbying about this development. (Quite rightly.) Do you know whether it includes trying to push the Government into agreeing to refund Agents' fees where the money spent on the Agent or TRA expert has effectively been wasted through no fault of the client or the Agent/TRA expert?

Cheers all

Gill

Archived