Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

Alan Collett

Hi g, there is a light. Since Phil is an electrician the TRA no longer process applications for him, as from the 1st Sept it is Vetassess (or whatever it's called) who carry out an assesement! TRA has returned our cheque so at the end of the day we have only incurred fedex fee and bank draft The money spent on certified copies and all the other evidence can still be used. We have looked on the Vetasses site and we can start a fresh application BUT it costs alot more around £1K as opposed to £120! The systems is so much easier to understand than TRA and it does require going to London for an assesment but I can see why electricians have been moved over to them as it does make sense. At the end of it you are the equivalent of an Australian electrican and have a liscence to work so in the long run have a better chance of a job. It all takes longer.

Although we feel justice should be done with the TRA, we are thinking stuff them and start again. Of course this will only apply to electricians and other trades who have moved over to V.

Thanks for all the info, I did read it and now I can go to bed soon feeling a little better and not so stressed just skint! :SLEEP:.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a disaster for me, I am a time served roofer, 7 years and just heard the news.

Also to add to my slowly sinking depression like state, this does not come under the VETASSESS. Is my future life in Queensland been cancelled due to the fact that I dont have a certificate? I can give endless contacts from people who are more than happy with my work, supply picture evidence even. Also a member of the FMB which is a trade organisation which actually assesses your work onsite and contacts previous clients to check on satisfaction of work etc. All this before even considering your for member status.

All of this is pointless, yet if i had a NVQ I could get in?

I am, to say, feeling suicidle.

I wasnt sure on a state, but after looking into Queensland and surrounding areas this drew me to the area, we where getting our heads around what we where about to embark on and about to employ a migration agent.

Made the call, and told the above. Please, people with expert knowledge, is there any way around my dilema? Cant bear the thought of the only beach within 30 miles is Blackpool for my family. Got a 1 year old daughter and wife and wanna get the hell out of here.

:arghh:

Hi Bernie & Everyone

Bernie, I'm not following you round the forum, honest!! However I thought I had mentioned the British Epats thread on this thread. Not because I want to promote the Rival Concern but because anybody in this TRA predicament needs all the help they can get at this time.

The British Expats thread is here:

Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications : British Expat Discussion Forum

On a more general note, now that TRA Pathway D stuff is starting to come back, I would imagine that the Agents might be inundated with work for the next few weeks, trying to find altrnative routes for their clients and so on.

If Alan does have time to read this (and has time to reply) I have a question, please: I understand that the MIA is doing some pretty serious lobbying about this development. (Quite rightly.) Do you know whether it includes trying to push the Government into agreeing to refund Agents' fees where the money spent on the Agent or TRA expert has effectively been wasted through no fault of the client or the Agent/TRA expert?

Cheers all

Gill

I think the MIA's stance is that TRA should be compelled to assess all applications lodged up to the date the change was announced.

Best regards.

This is a disaster for me, I am a time served roofer, 7 years and just heard the news.

Also to add to my slowly sinking depression like state, this does not come under the VETASSESS. Is my future life in Queensland been cancelled due to the fact that I dont have a certificate? I can give endless contacts from people who are more than happy with my work, supply picture evidence even. Also a member of the FMB which is a trade organisation which actually assesses your work onsite and contacts previous clients to check on satisfaction of work etc. All this before even considering your for member status.

All of this is pointless, yet if i had a NVQ I could get in?

I am, to say, feeling suicidle.

I wasnt sure on a state, but after looking into Queensland and surrounding areas this drew me to the area, we where getting our heads around what we where about to embark on and about to employ a migration agent.

Made the call, and told the above. Please, people with expert knowledge, is there any way around my dilema? Cant bear the thought of the only beach within 30 miles is Blackpool for my family. Got a 1 year old daughter and wife and wanna get the hell out of here.

:arghh:

Feel able to email me your CV, which I can then circulate to prospective employers in an effort to secure a permanent employer sponsored visa (under the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme, which doesn't require a skills assessment classification),

Best regards.

Guest Gollywobbler
I think the MIA's stance is that TRA should be compelled to assess all applications lodged up to the date the change was announced.

Best regards.

Mmm.

Yep - I can see the sense in the MIA's argument now that you have pointed it out. I support their stance on this (not that it is any of my business but your/their logic about how to tackle this does stack up, without doubt.)

Many Thanks, Alan

Cheers

Gill

By way of background there was a legal challenge 3 years ago when the Federal Government sought to introduce the "SSASSL", which is the more restricted Skilled Occupations List pertaining to subclass 138 visa applicants (Skilled Australian Sponsored) where the sponsor lives in Sydney (or a Surrounding Area).

This was introduced by way of a Gazette Notice rather than the usual legislative change and took place in the lead up to the last Federal election as a sop to the then NSW Premier, Bob Carr.

Applications for subclass 138 visas were then returned by the Department of Immigration where the nominated occupation was not on the SSASSL.

The validity of this change by way of Gazette Notice was challenged - and the challenge was successful. Consequence: all 138 visa applications that were returned by the Department were capable of being re-lodged - many were, and proceeded to visa grant.

Of course this was a different scenario, but I think is an interesting example of what can happen if persons who should know better overstep what is right and proper in implementing changes.

Best regards.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Alan

Thank you very much indeed for all your continuing help with this issue (and I am grateful to the MIA too.)

I have just seen the first really serious (in my opinion) piece of inequity that I have seen myself with the Pathway D business. No doubt the MIA is already on top of this aspect of the fiasco, but still.....

Bernie's TRA application was received on 22 August, she tells us. It has been thrown out because of Pathway D being blocked since then.

The Brammies' application was received on 23 August and they got their TRA approval today, it would seem. Please see this thread:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-gossip-chat/24310-yeeeeeeeeeeeeeessss-you-beauty-tra-came-back-positive.html

So - this farce has now been turned into a complete Lottery, has it? I cannot see the Court standing for it myself.

Of course I am thrilled and relieved for the Brammies but this is NOT right for Bernie as well. Unless the system is even-handed with both couples then I do not see how DIAC can maintain their present position about this.

The MIA is absolutely right. EVERY application received prior to 4th Sept should be decided in accordance with the rules in operation at the time. It is totally wrong to have a situation where success or failure seems to depend on whether or not somebody decided upon a whim to deal with an application or not..... It is unjust and unacceptable in my view.

I am keenly aware that the whole "forum world" is shouting at you at the minute, all of us demanding that you alone should sort this mess out. However, you know that this is only because you broke the news and you are also the only conduit most of us have for telling the Australian Government that this current malarkey is simply not on.

I am FRUSTRATED!!!

Gill

Hi Gill

Many thanks for your continued support on the forum!! :spinny:

I am the husband of Bernie, the sparky that has been blocked by Pathway D. I think it's great having others on this forum that are going through similar experiences, and being able to share them.

I cannot tell you how frustrated and upset I am about this whole TRA mess. The fact that the Brammies have got through under pathway D when the TRA recieved my application PRIOR to theirs I feel is totally unfair.

I am not sure what to do at the moment (apart from perhaps 'letting go' with some beers!). I wander if it is worth appealing and contacting the TRA, or should I go through Vetassess??

I think I have taken this personally -my/our hopes and dreams possibly dashed because of this new regulation which came into effect after my aplication?? I only want to input into Oz, and it's economy!

If only they could see how busy I am as a electrical sole trader, how much good feedback I get etc from customers, and how competent I think I am. If only they saw the assesment processs I go through every year under new part p regulations, showing my work to an assesor, my qualifications, my insurance, my guarantees in order to be recognised by this UK government to carry out electrical work. I could go on and on and on............ but I don't want to bore you!!

Like I say, I am not sure where to go from here, if you can help I would be extremely grateful!!!:sad:

Thanks again for your support.

Phil Byrne

Guest silverstargazer38
Hi Gill

I am the husband of Bernie, the sparky that has been blocked by Pathway D. I think it's great having others on this forum that are going through similar experiences, and being able to share them.

I cannot tell you how frustrated and upset I am about this whole TRA mess. The fact that the Brammies have got through under pathway D when the TRA recieved my application PRIOR to theirs I feel is totally unfair.

I am not sure what to do at the moment (apart from perhaps 'letting go' with some beers!). I wander if it is worth appealing and contacting the TRA, or should I go through Vetassess??

I think I have taken this personally -my/our hopes and dreams possibly dashed because of this new regulation which came into effect after my aplication?? I only want to input into Oz, and it's economy!

If only they could see how busy I am as a electrical sole trader, how much good feedback I get etc from customers, and how competent I think I am. If only they saw the assesment processs I go through every year under new part p regulations, showing my work to an assesor, my qualifications, my insurance, my guarantees in order to be recognised by this UK government to carry out electrical work. I could go on and on and on............ but I don't want to bore you!!

Like I say, I am not sure where to go from here, if you can help I would be extremely grateful!!!:sad:

Phil Byrne

yes think you have been treated totally unfair, it seems because you are electrician, nothing to do with us now fob him off to vetasses.

Your application was there in time and its not your fault. Like you say part p, you have to pay for it every year, and is not a qualification that anyone can get. Don't blame you for voicing your concerns and having loads to drink. Would be the same myself!!

Hi Gill

Phil Byrne

Phil,

I see your options (given that you remain keen to move to Australia) as being:

1. Write off the TRA application to experience and apply to VETASSESS under the new skills assessment regime.

2. Sit tight and await news as to whether TRA will be compelled to assess applications lodged up to the time of the announcement of Skill Pathway D - this could easily be a matter of months not weeks, with no certainty of the outcome you would want.

3. Start circulating your CV to employers in an effort to secure an employer sponsorship, leading to a visa application that doesn't necessitate a migration skills assessment.

Best regards.

Hi Alan

Thanks for your advice; it's much appreciated.

I am going for VETASSESS. I should have no problems with this as I have all the City and Guilds qualifications as well as the experience. The draw back- I understand that there is a practical assesment in London in December, and we won't have the outcome till then!!

Doh!!

Wish the immigration system in this country was as tight as yours!! We wouldn't have all the crap here. The UK has gone to pot, and doesn't matter where you are in the UK, we are foreigners in our own land!!!

Aussies watch out, here we come!!! Bernies' on his way!!!

Regards, Phil

I'm really sorry about your application phil i believe it they had received your application before they announced the change that they should process it i do know how you feel because i total expected my to be returned unprocessed but my trade isn't on the VETASSESS so i thought i was really screwed but have you thought what advantage you may have in australia if you take a recognize exam over here when you get in australia which i hope you do you may get the edge on the job you want because a lot of sparkys that have already gone out there through path D won't have the same qaulifications as you your will be recognize by austrailian employers i know this won't help how you feel very much but i hope it does help a little.

Hi Brammies

Many thanks for your encouragement. Yes, at least going through the VETASSESS I will be looked upon as an Australian licensed electrician!! I will just have to work on my accent, expose my legs, and try and down cans of Fosters in front of them (only joking -apparently the Ozzies cant stand the stuff)!!

The only downsides are that I won't know the result until late December, and the cost is about £1200; but hey if you have the strong urge to get out of the rat run here as I do, then this is a small sacrifice to make.

When I get to Oz, I intend to kick some butt and I am definately going to make some impact in my new home country!!

I hope all goes well for you guys, and wish you all the best in Oz. Keep focussed on your dreams, make them reality.

Good evening, Phil

Guest Ozzyforus

We are also effected by the TRA pathway D fiasco, my hubby works as a Duct Installer (to do with heating/ventalilation) mainly on construction sites, he has 18 years exp but no qualifactions. We signed up with an agent and sent off our retainer at the end of August and then a week later we found out by accident that the TRA had removed pathway D. The problem we have now is that we have a standing order set up for £240 p/m unitl March do we cancel standing order? Our agent has contacted us on 6th and told us to hang on & see what happens. Do you think he is stalling?

My questions are: Do you think there is any other way of getting to Oz, e.g sponsorship, or should we ask for our money back and then wait and see if TRA change their tact.

cheers

Guest Ozzyforus

Hi Overseas emigration based in Edinburgh, as I say we are so new all they have had off us is a CV, signed contract and standing order paperwork, their skills team requested our passports, birth/marriage certs and DDC info on the 4th Sept, and I emailed them on the 5th when I read news about pathway D, and how it affected us, the skills team got our agent to call us, and apart from that call and a further email to my hubby, thats all we've heard from them

Hi Ozzyforus,

I am not using an agent, but from all other stuff I have been reading at that time, many agents were apparently tearing their hair out as they were unaware just as much as we were and that 50% of their work loads were dealing with this problem of pathway D. It is their job to be in the know, and I think they should have found out before you. If your application has already been sent it probably is a case of waiting to see what happends, you may be one of the lucky ones! Think people like us that are electricians, plumbers etc who now go through Vetasses may be fore likely to have applications returned, who knows. Hope that helps a little. Bernie.

Guest Ozzyforus

Hi Bernie,

We haven't applied for TRA as only just starting out, we contacted an agent that was recommended to us, they went thru the initial assessment and said yes we would be able to apply for visa subclass 175, so on 4th September we started gathering our stuff birth/marriage certs, passports, and started writing out info required for DDC - then TRA pulled their plug on pathway D.

I have emailed our agent today, so should get a reposnse from them tomorrow, they may find an alternative method to get into Oz for us, (hoping)

Hi Bernie,

We haven't applied for TRA as only just starting out, we contacted an agent that was recommended to us, they went thru the initial assessment and said yes we would be able to apply for visa subclass 175, so on 4th September we started gathering our stuff birth/marriage certs, passports, and started writing out info required for DDC - then TRA pulled their plug on pathway D.

I have emailed our agent today, so should get a reposnse from them tomorrow, they may find an alternative method to get into Oz for us, (hoping)

Hi we are using overseas in Edinburgh my OH works in heating/ventilation as "mechanical services and air conditionig" overseas have been fantastic with us I would say hang in there with them. I think they will see you right I know of plenty of people who have used the branch in Edinburgh and have all got their visas hopefully its us next.

Keep the faith

Kaye

Archived