Shipping Cost from Top 8 Companies (Hope it helps)

Guest gem and si

Blimey that is cut throat from them!! fair play to you, and thank you for the heads up as well.We had elected for Pickfords but the chase for cheapest quote is back on!! ;-)

Cheers!! Good luck

Fluxsta - quick update!

Pickfords started at 1166 cubic feet and £7400. Having told them they were out of the running they have agreed to match the cheapest quote and ship a 20 ft comtainer and the rest as groupage (if there is any) free of charge. They are also providing 2 crates they had not included and have reduced the cost of their insurnace - I know I can get it cheaper elsewhere but I wanted an all in one, same person both ends quote. They have moved £1600 and secured my business. Haggle hard, they want your business. As an aside however, I have been very honest with them and my requirements from the start. I don't agree with playing them off against each other, but sometimes total transparency is a good thing.

All the best. x :smile:

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome, many thanks! Honesty and transparency, totally agree. We have been upfront with them as well and obviously times are tough for people with money etc and we have stated that we are doing this move on a shoestring, and if they want the business then they will fight for it.

;-)

Cheers!!

Guest gem and si
Hi Si,

Thought I'd let you know how I got on. Had 6 companies from yr list out and the range in cubic footage was within 300 cubic feet of each other but infortunately on either side of a 20ft container. I emailed the 3 I liked under a 20 ft container and 2 agreed that if what was on the inventory did not fit in a 20ft container they would ship the rest free of charge. I then got them all to agree a base rate of 2.5% marine insurance and have now emailed them each others quotes (told them I was doing this at the start) and asked them for the best price by Monday morning so we shall see. Interestingly, the one that was the highest that I didn't contact, just emailed me taking £1000 of his quote. Think I will email him the others' prices.

My cheapest quotes are from Anglo Pacific, John Mason and Crown. Any experience anyone has had of them would be gratefully received.

Elizabeth x

Hi Elizabeth,

Sounds like your doing well....it is amazing at how much they can just knock of there price...they must expect it and thats why the price so high in the first place....its also funny that when they have given you their final price if you hold of and dont contact you they seem to lower it a little more :biggrin:

All the best with your haggling:biggrin:

Si

Hi,

Great thread and loads of useful info! Thanks all.

Are there any specific charges or taxes when you arrive/collect your shipment? I've heard some horror stories about import taxes......... There is no way that I have receipts for most of our stuff to show that we've owned it for a bit.

We cant decide whether to take stuff or buy again - but some of the above quotes make you think taking maybe cheaper.

Cheers.

Steve.

The cost you get quoted and the cost you end up paying are 2 very different figures

Unfortunately that's not a very helpful statement if you don't qualify it by giving details - if you have a written cost given, and everything listed that you are paying for etc, then they cannot charge you a different price. If they haven't included x y and z in the quote, then of course it won't be the final price you pay - you have to play the game...

Guest Kels07

so you want detail - because access to our house was difficult they didnt include the cost of moving product from the house on a van to the container. They didnt accuratly give costs of storage in oz by their partner business - $150 for a month quoted - actually $60 a week. They didnt explain or quote the cost of putting our good into and taking out of storage - $260 for each part. They said shipping was 8 weeks. The goods got therewithin 5 so we had additional storage costs having prepared for 8.

The cost of delivery of the goods once in oz is included in the cost - unless you want it done on a saturday which wasn't mentioned - $330

I hope this explains why i would suggest not using that organisation.

A friend of mine used PSS and all of the above was explained and put into the quote and was very transparent

Guest gem and si
Hi,

Great thread and loads of useful info! Thanks all.

Are there any specific charges or taxes when you arrive/collect your shipment? I've heard some horror stories about import taxes......... There is no way that I have receipts for most of our stuff to show that we've owned it for a bit.

We cant decide whether to take stuff or buy again - but some of the above quotes make you think taking maybe cheaper.

Cheers.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

We thought the same as you at first...do we ship or buy new...but its really surprising how much stuff you would have to buy again to start from scratch...money soon vanishes..lol:biggrin:

Thats why we decided to ship...the only things I would watch out for is that they are all close on cubic feet as I would worry if someone was really low...as they can bump up the price once they start loading the container....Also make sure you really make the effort to clean the items that cutoms will look out...ie Garden stuff, bikes & Hoovers..lol..if they see that you have really made an effort they are less likely to go through everything..and dont forget they charge!!!!!!:wink:

Hope this helps mate!!

Si:biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MatandTam

Si

Coud I trouble you for the top 4 companies and details via PM too.

Many thanks

Mat

Guest thesalmons

Hi Si, can you please PM us your removal details and the 4 best companies that you dealt with.

We are at the stage of getting them round for quotes and would like to have an idea of what is included and a ball park cost.

We are also in Essex (Chafford Hundred) but off to WA.

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Guest mikewheble

Hi Si,

Great post. Can you send me details of the final four companies that you used please.

We were going to WA on a 475 visa next Feb however, am now going to Sydney in Sept (this year) on 121 and so need to get cracking.

We arent taking much with us just sofa's, bits of kitchen stuff's, surf board, 3 x mountain bikes, no beds or bedroom stuff however taking my Raging Bull pick up, my Vespa scooter and my wifes Mini Cooper. I guess because of the cars, we'll have to have a full container?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Guest daydream believer

thanks for posting this info...such a great help to someone trying to get her head around a move to Sydney if we get 457! c xxx

Guest tgeorge

Hi,this thread is great and I wish I'd looked at it a few weeks ago! I'm off to Hobart at the end of the month, just myself and my daughter. I've been in touch with 4 companies and only 1 came out to give an exact quote and that was Britannia. Cubic Feet is 363 but the quote was over £3500. Contacted other companies to give them the correct cubic feet. Also had a bit of a rethink and tried to knock a few things off the list.....double bed and bunk bed.....less 40 cubic feet. Over all Doree Boner has given me the best quote of £2680 for 363 and £2400 for 323 cubic feet. I've been told by one of these companies that its more expensive to go to Tas as its off the mainland and my goods will either go via sidney or melbourne. Is it worth me trying to haggle?? Also I was informed that If I pack things myself, then my property will be scrutinised at the other end. Is this the case?? Apart from the beds (if I take them) everything else is personnal

effects....books/dvd's/cd's/computer/kitchen bits and bobs/clothes/shoes. I don't mind doing part packing but just thought it'd be easier for them to do the lot.

I'd be greatfull for any tips/advice as I feel like I'm pulling my hair out!!

Cheers

Trace

Guest jackie Macdonald

I haggled with PSS and managed to lower the cost by £700.00!! just so you know they will budge

jxx

Guest bakercrew

Hi Si,

We are currently getting quotes for 20ft container, we are flat packing what we can, but they are packing and doing everything else. Cambridge to Perth.

What was the best price you got from John Mason and Crown. These are the guys who I have found the best so far with the info. Have you moved over yet and if so what was your overall exp with the shipping co.

Thanks Helen

I managed to get an FCL 40ft Hicube for @ £7k (including car + house contents).

I haggled and got the initial quote down by about £500 but I reckoned there was no much scope to go much further and I needed to get the slot booked.

Just need to fit it all in now :eek:

Guest jackie Macdonald
I managed to get an FCL 40ft Hicube for @ £7k (including car + house contents).

I haggled and got the initial quote down by about £500 but I reckoned there was no much scope to go much further and I needed to get the slot booked.

Just need to fit it all in now :eek:

Hi Joker,

have you paid a deposit yet? mine is being shipped for £6,085 for a 40ft container including the car (they initially quoted £6,800). They are also doing all the packing. Try PSS. I know it is only a little saving, but it all helps. It appears that more immigrants are taking as much furniture as they can because it is blooming expensive to replace it out there.

jxx

Jackie,

Just out of interest, what part of Oz are you heading for; my quote is for Geelong (quoted as 100mls ex Melbourne), all packed and unpacked with PSS.

What cubic ft did you end up with. The difference might be the fact that my container is a hi-cube (9ft 6 tall rather than 8ft 6).

Your right about taking everything - I'm in buying mode at the moment because of the prices in Oz.

Joker

Guest jackie Macdonald
Jackie,

Just out of interest, what part of Oz are you heading for; my quote is for Geelong (quoted as 100mls ex Melbourne), all packed and unpacked with PSS.

What cubic ft did you end up with. The difference might be the fact that my container is a hi-cube (9ft 6 tall rather than 8ft 6).

Your right about taking everything - I'm in buying mode at the moment because of the prices in Oz.

Joker

Hi joker,

We're heading to Perth. All furniture will be packed and unpacked. The container is 40ft 1450 cubic feet plus vehicle. I'm not sure of the height of the container though so you might be right with the cost difference there!

I too am buying (well replacing really) so far I've bought a new table and chairs/bed linen/crockery/kitchen equipment,lamps etc., and new bedside tables. All in all the whole thing is a bloody expensive business! I have already decided though, if we ever come back I'm dumping the lot!!

All the best of luck with your move.

Jxx

I wish I had seen your post about three months back when we booked Britannia movers, our container (20ft) arrived at our door here in Mandurah WA, yesterday Thursday 09 june, it cost us £4500:00 plus an aqis charge of $450 at this end......but I have to say the service from Britannia was absolutely brilliant from start to finish so maybe it was worth the extra pennies :cute:

Guest jackie Macdonald
I wish I had seen your post about three months back when we booked Britannia movers, our container (20ft) arrived at our door here in Mandurah WA, yesterday Thursday 09 june, it cost us £4500:00 plus an aqis charge of $450 at this end......but I have to say the service from Britannia was absolutely brilliant from start to finish so maybe it was worth the extra pennies :cute:

Ah,

Well I wish you all the best in your new life anyway! you are right , as long as you are happy and your furniture is safe and sound, and all went smoothly that's what matters!

jXXX:smile:

Guest janeubu
Hi Joker,

have you paid a deposit yet? mine is being shipped for £6,085 for a 40ft container including the car (they initially quoted £6,800). They are also doing all the packing. Try PSS. I know it is only a little saving, but it all helps. It appears that more immigrants are taking as much furniture as they can because it is blooming expensive to replace it out there.

jxx

hi thats a good price with the car ,may take my car know so thanks for the info,have you been to perth yet?we land on jan 1st and have never been before but cant wait:jiggy:jane

Guest jackie Macdonald
hi thats a good price with the car ,may take my car know so thanks for the info,have you been to perth yet?we land on jan 1st and have never been before but cant wait:jiggy:jane

Yes I was there 2 years ago, I am a returnee. There are certain rules and regulations but If you have owned the car a year then you should be fine. We're taking ours as it's worth a lot more in Oz and the cost of buying a new one is very expensive in Perth despite the costs involved in transportation.

Good luck with your forthcoming move. January will be here before you know it.

Out of interest, what is everyone paying for contents insurance?

Jxx

Archived