House is SOLD

LinziM

Well, we sold the house on the weekend after ten weeks on the market and no offers. We took a hit on the price, but are hoping the good exchange rate at the moment will make up for some of that. Settlement end of May and hoping to be back in the UK by my birthday in June! Just girding my loins for the next fun-filled weeks of organising and co-ordinating everything from booking the shippers, sending hubby to say ta-ra to his (English) folks in Canberra and selling two cars and all the household appliances. Anyone coming to Perth in the next couple of months, we will have a 2006 Ford Escape and a 2009 Ford Focus Coupe Carbriolet - my dead posh hard top - for sale end of May. Really looking forward to getting back to the glorious green Welsh valleys. We haven't seen any rain in Scarborough for six months, that's about to change for sure.........

We can't believe it's only a few months since we made the decision. Flights booked now and can't wait. My sister is beside herself with excitement!

Congratulations x

Hope we have the same luck selling our house. Would love to be home for Oct. Just need the house to sell.

Hope you get some replies for shippers. We are thinking Trans Golbal Kewdale. Anyone who has used these, would be grateful for some feedback.

sunni

Oh you lucky selling your house. I had to come back to Oz after securing a good job last year in the UK as we couldn't sell our house here and the family was spilt.

We have just transformed the house this week, dropped the price and made it into a show home to try and sell. Want to be leaving and getting home later this year, if we don't make it by Sept we will miss the college start for my daughter and then will have to wait till she finishes school.

I spent 4 and half months in England from Sept to Feb and loved it. Have enjoyed my time in Australia but there is no place like home.

Good luck with your move and enjoy those lovely light evenings hopefully it will be us next year.

Well, we sold the house on the weekend after ten weeks on the market and no offers. We took a hit on the price, but are hoping the good exchange rate at the moment will make up for some of that. Settlement end of May and hoping to be back in the UK by my birthday in June! Just girding my loins for the next fun-filled weeks of organising and co-ordinating everything from booking the shippers, sending hubby to say ta-ra to his (English) folks in Canberra and selling two cars and all the household appliances. Anyone coming to Perth in the next couple of months, we will have a 2006 Ford Escape and a 2009 Ford Focus Coupe Carbriolet - my dead posh hard top - for sale end of May. Really looking forward to getting back to the glorious green Welsh valleys. We haven't seen any rain in Scarborough for six months, that's about to change for sure.........

We can't believe it's only a few months since we made the decision. Flights booked now and can't wait. My sister is beside herself with excitement!

Congratulations on the house sale...........................

Like you, our settlement is end of May and hoping to be back in UK around beginning of June.......................hopefully we will get to experience the usual 2 days of summer (blink and miss it scenario):twitcy:

Finally picked the shippers so it is all systems go - just need to get rid of all stuff we are not taking - garage sale on the horizon.

Have not booked the flights yet, but that is next on the list of 'to do'.

Good luck with everything

• 2 weeks later...

We have organised shipping and decided to take OH car, Ford Escape which is owned from new and just paid off. Can't see me doing duels with the Tesco van in the narrow Welsh roads in my convertible though, so we will buy a girl car for me when we get back. We have been told by shippers the only thing we need to do is change the speedo (comments welcome).

Taking the advice of POI users we haven't taken the insurance as recommendation was to approach insurers direct. I can find lots of companies doing the UK to Australia, can someone recommend who to approach from this end for Oz to UK. Thanks to the many and varied posts which have helped us along the way.

I have enjoyed my time in Australia but in a way it's been like an extended holiday and I have always thought of the UK as my home. For anyone who does jigsaws, I feel like the little click a piece makes when it's a perfect fit when I get home. Not very poetic sorry, but I was trying to convey the feeling without offending people who don't get it!

Guest megapixel

Taking the advice of POI users we haven't taken the insurance as recommendation was to approach insurers direct. I can find lots of companies doing the UK to Australia, can someone recommend who to approach from this end for Oz to UK. ....... QUOTE]

I found this company who were recommended on PIO http://www.lettonpercival.co.uk/ offered really good rate for shipment insurance (esp compared to removal companies rates). Ian was very helpful and so far all straightforward. Proof of course will be when shipment arrives and if any claims to be made - will update! Good luck!

Good luck with your move. I am very envious of you! We are going to have to wait a few years before we can move back. We're also from the Welsh Valley's and miss the place so much! We are in a rental at the moment but have some land to sell and we really want to be in a good financial position when we go back so I'm going to have to be a bit more patient. Keep us up to date with everything on here. All the best. x

If Australia is the 2nd best place in the world to live.god only knows what the rest of the world is like.It has to be a mistake.Like the TV and the media here,it's part of the brain washing programe.It wasn't too bad 24 years ago,when you buy a kg of bananas for $1,now they are a $1 each.It's getting so exspensive here to live,the cockroaches are moveing out.

Guest megapixel
Congrats, our house completed today and we fly on Monday :-) not impressed that it takes 48 hours for our funds to clear, is this normal? Both houses that I sold in the UK I got the Money on settlement. Is this another thing that's backward here ;-)

Re time it takes for money clearance, we were told "it depends" (though not what it depends ON). After settlement we found cleared funds immediately in our bank and had it transferred within two hours. We were on a plane within 24 hrs. Buyer was with same Australian bank as us, so maybe that is what made the difference. There was no cheque just a direct transfer. At the bank we checked rate with the Forex company we had lined up to transfer money to GBP, then haggled with the bank and the bank matched the rate. I was surprised as everyone said they wouldn't be able to do this, and this was at a small branch. This was about the only thing that went smoothly so I was very happy :biggrin: Congrats on your house sale and I hope your money lands soon!

Guest chris955

:laugh: Yes those surveys are great aren't they ? It makes some people feel better though :wink:

If Australia is the 2nd best place in the world to live.god only knows what the rest of the world is like.It has to be a mistake.Like the TV and the media here,it's part of the brain washing programe.It wasn't too bad 24 years ago,when you buy a kg of bananas for $1,now they are a $1 each.It's getting so exspensive here to live,the cockroaches are moveing out.

lol that was funny. Surely you dont think brain washing exists in Oz???

This is the cheapest place in the universe. Everythings free!!!!

I think the survey was conducted by Knight Rider.

Re time it takes for money clearance, we were told "it depends" (though not what it depends ON). After settlement we found cleared funds immediately in our bank and had it transferred within two hours. We were on a plane within 24 hrs. Buyer was with same Australian bank as us, so maybe that is what made the difference. There was no cheque just a direct transfer. At the bank we checked rate with the Forex company we had lined up to transfer money to GBP, then haggled with the bank and the bank matched the rate. I was surprised as everyone said they wouldn't be able to do this, and this was at a small branch. This was about the only thing that went smoothly so I was very happy :biggrin: Congrats on your house sale and I hope your money lands soon!

Well some of the funds are in our account but not cleared, and now we are also waiting for the 10% deposit the buyer paid to our estate agent, minus there extortionate fees obviously.

I am a bit annoyed as I wanted to have all the money issues sorted before we fly on Monday but it doesn't look like its going to happen.

But still, musn't grumble, we are very fortunate to have the funds to take advantage of the FX rate and go home!

Congratulations on the house sale...........................

Like you, our settlement is end of May and hoping to be back in UK around beginning of June.......................hopefully we will get to experience the usual 2 days of summer (blink and miss it scenario):twitcy:

Finally picked the shippers so it is all systems go - just need to get rid of all stuff we are not taking - garage sale on the horizon.

Have not booked the flights yet, but that is next on the list of 'to do'.

Good luck with everything

weather gorgeous right now - hope it lasts for you x

Good luck...will be following you as soon as house on Sunshine Coast is sold with lots of other things...and then home to

devon after 6 years in OZ...can't wait...

Good luck we're just coming up to our first year back after living on the Sunshine Coast for 3 years. Devon is a pretty good alternative. Maidenhead not bad where we are but very pricey.

Well some of the funds are in our account but not cleared, and now we are also waiting for the 10% deposit the buyer paid to our estate agent, minus there extortionate fees obviously.

I am a bit annoyed as I wanted to have all the money issues sorted before we fly on Monday but it doesn't look like its going to happen.

But still, musn't grumble, we are very fortunate to have the funds to take advantage of the FX rate and go home!

Hi Chris

Hope you had a good journey back home. Just wondering if you can help with what the average % of fees are for estate agent in OZ. Our house is on the Market @ $500,000 - just wondering what we will have to pay in fees once sold.

Thanks in advance.

sunni

Guest lindar

If its not too late - we used Kent Moving and they were great. Everything arrived OK (even my British passport which was under my copier lid- yes dont ask!)

If you are already sorted - good luck and well done!

Archived