The problem with the UK is this.......

tracy123

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest37175
Theres good and bad in both countries and to me i want nice weather so i can go to places like Cottesloe beach for free, i spend over £10,000 a year on holidays abroad, just so i can have some sun and gorgeous beach life, i know there are some nice beaches in the south of the uk, but your not guaranteed the weather, in fact it will probabaly piddle it down in july or August as much as it is sunny. No a big part of emigrating for me is the guaranteed fantastic hot weather we had when we were there in january the hottest month, it wasn't too hot for us, we were in the pool, the jacuzzi, the sea, out and about every day, having barbies at night and sitting out, it was fantastic and............. cost hardly anything.

1399px-CottesloeBeach_gobeirne.jpg

That's a nice pic of Bridlington you've put on there Jim. Looks a fair treat in the spring sunshine.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

It doesn't have to be like that, Geoff might be saying some see the uk in a negative way and others in a positive way, me i don't like the weather, the last time it was warm enough to sit out or have a barbie was last August, thats over 6 months ago and the weather is still really cold. Some don't mind this, its each to there own, i repeat the uk is great for scenery and walks, we don't do this, we should and i have told the wife i want to do this more, but i like the sun and i know it gets too hot and oppressive month after month, but after 50 years of the cold, i fancy giving it a go, the same as someone who has had it hot, they fancy the cold.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
That's a nice pic of Bridlington you've put on there Jim. Looks a fair treat in the spring sunshine.

We were once on the beach at Bridlington and.............. it was sunny and warm. OMG. i was running on the beach in my speedos and the wifes cousin who is now in Cairns, said........... i looked like David Hasselhoff and the wife laughed and said more like a Ropey version. lol

It was great that day, running about playing footy with my lad swimming in the sea, but the next day it was raining and cold.

I think Britain would be the best country in the world if only we had someone running it who put the workforce and well being of those who toil first and started treating those that cant be bothered with the contempt they deserve. You can put as many quaint pictures of chocolate box cottages and leafy lanes on as you like but thats not the reality for most, the reality for most is hard work for sod all and then being raped by the government.

We were once on the beach at Bridlington and.............. it was sunny and warm. OMG. i was running on the beach in my speedos and the wifes cousin who is now in Cairns, said........... i looked like David Hasselhoff and the wife laughed and said more like a Ropey version. lol

It was great that day, running about playing footy with my lad swimming in the sea, but the next day it was raining and cold.

lol, that is the down side of the uk summer, You never know whats happening from one day to the next, like we all say, you can never really plan a day out in advance, its more a case of get up in the morning and see what its like! Think we take it as the norm now! :wub:

lol, that is the down side of the uk summer, You never know whats happening from one day to the next, like we all say, you can never really plan a day out in advance, its more a case of get up in the morning and see what its like! Think we take it as the norm now! :wub:

There are lots of places in Oz like that - particularly Melbourne which we considered moving to before returning back but having spent a fair bit of time there the weather while not quite as cold as Uk is pretty changeable - it whipped up a gale in no time when we were out for the day and has hailstones as big as golf balls and then in the summer the dry heat can be literally unbearable. That dry heat is also not good for the skin - on a vain note many women look much older because skin is drier. Queensland as you know has had a dreadful summer with more rain that anyone would want.

As for classless I have to disagree - Melbourne and Sydney are very establishment - everyone vying for position and what you own, etc a big deal. Whether you go to state or private school etc.. I used to laugh over there as the private school families used to have school bumper stickers - I had two kids in private school so wondered if I should have two stickers just to show I could afford two!!! That's how shallow it can be.

Guest MaybeOz

There are good and bad places whichever country or area you live in.

Those wanting to move to Aus sometimes find it hard to (or simply wont) listen to the negatives as well as the positives about their chosen destination.

The link below is a post I made asking for clarification on some views a friend of mine had about areas in Melbourne; some of her comments make areas sound horrendous! The interesting thing is that replies to my post aren't that scathing of her observations either, which did take the rose-tint off my glasses ... just a little :cute: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/victoria/105441-help-those-living-melbourne-pls.html

At the end of the day, one persons heaven is another persons hell.

Kari :wubclub:

There are good and bad places whichever country or area you live in.

Those wanting to move to Aus sometimes find it hard to (or simply wont) listen to the negatives as well as the positives about their chosen destination.

The link below is a post I made asking for clarification on some views a friend of mine had about areas in Melbourne; some of her comments make areas sound horrendous! The interesting thing is that replies to my post aren't that scathing of her observations either, which did take the rose-tint off my glasses ... just a little :cute: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/victoria/105441-help-those-living-melbourne-pls.html

At the end of the day, one persons heaven is another persons hell.

Kari :wubclub:

I think your friends opinion was discredited sufficiently on that thread. The only place she liked was one that reminded her of England :rolleyes:

I think your friends opinion was discredited sufficiently on that thread. The only place she liked was one that reminded her of England :rolleyes:

I think it is all about perception - I returned to Uk in July expecting terrible customer service and people to be generally doom and gloom - however I found customer service to be good, people helpful ad everyone pretty cheerful and chatty. (obviously what I wanted to see to validate our decision to return). My English friend came back on holiday and saw nothing but traffic, noise and miserable people - again what she wanted to see to validate her position to stay in Oz. The mind is a weird and wonderful thing and we always want what we haven't got - when we get it - we often find we want something else. The human condition!!

I think it is all about perception - I returned to Uk in July expecting terrible customer service and people to be generally doom and gloom - however I found customer service to be good, people helpful ad everyone pretty cheerful and chatty. (obviously what I wanted to see to validate our decision to return). My English friend came back on holiday and saw nothing but traffic, noise and miserable people - again what she wanted to see to validate her position to stay in Oz. The mind is a weird and wonderful thing and we always want what we haven't got - when we get it - we often find we want something else. The human condition!!

You have hit the nail on the head there. We see what we want to see & our perception is based on that. If you need to be reassured you have made the right decision, you see & hear things that provide that & are generally oblivious to contradictory evidence.

Guest Guest37175

In slow-motion right Jim, with hair carefully bouffanted, to admiring glances from that coach-party of pensioners from Skegness?!

While some see this as their England

692839-english-country-cottages-tractor.jpeg

top_dog.jpg

englishcottage.jpg

group061007_468x311.jpg

Others see this

chavs.jpg

79054899.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892155F29F61288AC1CA6DE3B137140D02EE19B1389FAD4F4B285F232A23917BC4AA

95803D1B0CA000005DC368_468x312-vi.jpg

stp021.jpg

Now who is right and who is wrong???

To me all those images are English, I guess you choose what you want to see. I think the biggest problem is the class system, that seems to stop the 2 from meeting. 1 class lives in one part of the town and the other in the other :wacko: and it seems never the 2 will meet. Well that is unless on PIO :tongue:

Geoffrey , can i ask you a simple question.....you always wanted to return to Australia ...you are back there now , get on with your life.

England is recent history ......move on

Makes me laugh when Brits look for the worst in their home land.... I honestly read it as though they have to convince themselves they are doing/have done the right thing in moving. As if they have to point out why they are leaving/have left and have this need to try to convert people into thinking like them. The frustration in knowing that some people love the UK must really upset some people for them to take time in justifying their choice in where to live. Then I read comments on how the Aussies are great, easy going and never slag off their country, they are proud to be Aussies. I am proud to be British and will never turn my back on my roots. There is good and bad all over the world, I try to look for the good wherever I am.

Makes me laugh when Brits look for the worst in their home land.... I honestly read it as though they have to convince themselves they are doing/have done the right thing in moving. As if they have to point out why they are leaving/have left and have this need to try to convert people into thinking like them. The frustration in knowing that some people love the UK must really upset some people for them to take time in justifying their choice in where to live. Then I read comments on how the Aussies are great, easy going and never slag off their country, they are proud to be Aussies. I am proud to be British and will never turn my back on my roots. There is good and bad all over the world, I try to look for the good wherever I am.

I agree, however it works in the reverse a lot on these threads, people seem to have to justify why they have or are returning and I think the same about them.

I agree, however it works in the reverse a lot on these threads, people seem to have to justify why they have or are returning and I think the same about them.

Would be nice if a little Aussie pride would rub off on the negative Brits! So silly always comparing and pushing the subject of 'the life I've chosen is better than the other persons', we are all individual and enjoy different things.

Would be nice if a little Aussie pride would rub off on the negative Brits! So silly always comparing and pushing the subject of 'the life I've chosen is better than the other persons', we are all individual and enjoy different things.

Oi, im not negative, im a very positive brit!!! :biggrin:

Also i think it is daft to post pictures that obviously stem from 60s 70s 80s britain and expect that to be a reflection of Uk today. Yes there are some pretty grim towns in Uk and I realise that after living somewhere as clean as Oz the Uk has some way to go, but where it is beautiful it is astounding and also the vibrancy and life everywhere does make up for some of its failings. I grew up in the 70s and 80s during riots, miners strikes, blackouts, dreadful litter, glue sniffers, punks and racist comedy - the Uk today is a far cry from this - like many who have posted here the blight of drugs seems to have engulfed most "developed" countries where poverty and gang culture have impacted on people's lives - but my reality is my daughter and sons doing really well at school and uni in Uk, lots of choice in shops, lots of entertainment options , beautiful seasons, fantastic sense of humour, kind and compassionate people, comic relief (where else?), brilliant music and film industry (check out the oscars) compared with Oz where I had clean streets, big house and swimming pool, beautiful oceans, informal and pleasant social life - you know all is good - choose where suits you and enjoy :)

Guest MADTOM

Perhaps Uk was more like the picturesque pretty pictures at the top in the 1950's with nice Enid Blyton type children running around! Indeed it is still beautiful but has just more of a Yob culture.

Everywhere has its problems Australia is not a Utopia! There is crime, prejudice, druguse, alcoholism, yobs as much as everywhere else. Only in a sunnier climate.

The class system still exists here only on a different level. Have you seen the women walking around displaying their Prada bags! Here you have the people who like to think they are Middle class and therefore dress and act like Yuppies, Working class (who are really the middle class and the norm) and the bogans!

:wideeyed:

Geoffrey , can i ask you a simple question.....you always wanted to return to Australia ...you are back there now , get on with your life.

England is recent history ......move on

Go on ask away.

Or was that statement your question?

Spot of light trolling before bedtime this evening Geoffrey? :wink:

How do you work that out? :wacko:

My point is, what most seemed to of missed, is

Some people, remember, live in, quiet little country towns, see children as children, see a British spirit alive and on a whole enjoy their life there. While others seem to live on the other side of town where under age binge drinking is a problem, immigration is a problem, and in council estates.

Who is right who is wrong? BOTH sides are right both see Britain/England through their own eyes and it's something the other person can not or will not see or believe!

I do believe the class system does play a huge part in why there is such a huge divide. How often do you see a country cottage mixed in a council estate? Never! People seem happy living with their own kind (no offence)

Now if you see that as trolling? Go for it! Personally I think you have read into this thread something that wasn't there (ON my part anyway)

If people feel that this post is attacking England I'm sorry you're way off the mark! :wubclub:

Also i think it is daft to post pictures that obviously stem from 60s 70s 80s britain and expect that to be a reflection of Uk today. :)

Do things in your childhood play a part of who you are today? For example the principals your parents, teachers taught you. Lifes lessons you have picked up along the way! Do they not play a part of who you are?

Think i must be one of the lucky ones, living in what use to be tuckton village! Far enough away from busy Bournemouth town center, close enough to the new forest, Devon, Weymouth, Dorchester, Wimborne etc, Right on the river stour, fishing boating etc, Think Tuckton just about shows on the Bournemouth map :wacko:Bournemouth Boating Services - Home Page :wubclub:

Perhaps Uk was more like the picturesque pretty pictures at the top in the 1950's with nice Enid Blyton type children running around! Indeed it is still beautiful but has just more of a Yob culture.

Everywhere has its problems Australia is not a Utopia! There is crime, prejudice, druguse, alcoholism, yobs as much as everywhere else. Only in a sunnier climate.

The class system still exists here only on a different level. Have you seen the women walking around displaying their Prada bags! Here you have the people who like to think they are Middle class and therefore dress and act like Yuppies, Working class (who are really the middle class and the norm) and the bogans!

:wideeyed:

Have you not got it yet, all people in Australia are middle class, no class system, as for the Prada bags most people have knock offs and they tell people, its a laugh, having a laugh at people who pay loads of money to advertise people's goods.

I worked with a solicitor once and he removed every lable off his clothes said they were not paying hiim to advertise, I agree totally.

Archived