The problem with the UK is this.......

tracy123

Guest MADTOM
Have you not got it yet, all people in Australia are middle class, no class system, as for the Prada bags most people have knock offs and they tell people, its a laugh, having a laugh at people who pay loads of money to advertise people's goods.

I worked with a solicitor once and he removed every lable off his clothes said they were not paying hiim to advertise, I agree totally.

Rubbish! What about the Lexus car brigade, the sporting clubs, the private schools there is a class sytem though not as highly pronounced as the UK it still exists! :cute:

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do things in your childhood play a part of who you are today? For example the principals your parents, teachers taught you. Lifes lessons you have picked up along the way! Do they not play a part of who you are?

Yes they do but to present them as a comparison of life in Uk today is not realistic. I recently watched Alan Davies's teenage revolution which documented growing up in the 70s and 80s and god I was shocked to remember how basic and raw my upbringing was - by comparison with today - apart from the shocking drugs problem that blights every developed country - life in Uk is far better than then - posting pics that reflect that past life is a bit shonky to say the least.

The truth is Uk is fine - got its problems like any other culture - Oz is also fine - bright sunny but lacking life and vibrancy (IMO) and also has its social problems (actually saw real chavs in melbourne last year), let's use this forum constructively to help people make decisions about their lives that are far reaching and meaningful rather than point scoring against each other or using some anomalous scale to comment of benefits of life in Oz Vs Uk. We are all different and want different things, hopefully some of our post resonate with with others which will help with decisions.

Guest homewardbound

Geoff, as I understand it you are living in Australia so wouldn't it be more appropriate to do the same thread relating to this country as exactly the same applies here ? Of course it could be true that you didn't in fact do it just to try and put down the UK :wink:

As for no class system here some people are having a laugh :biggrin: I assume the comment about everyone being middle class was a joke but seriously there is an obvious class system it is just different.

Why are people so quick to state or cling to the belief that there is 'no class' system within Australia................................

Quote....." in the mid-nineteenth century, a powerful Australian actually sought to create an Australian aristocracy - an extraordinary episode passed over rather lightly in the standard histories.

William Charles Wentworth 1790 - 1872 was not some insignificant crackpot: to contemporary opinion he was 'Australia's greatest native son'.

When he died, he was honoured with Australia's first state funeral...........public holiday.....a massive sarcophagus............." Unquote

This is only the beginning in the 'Myth of Australian Classlessness'. Why is it all these years later, Australians appear to be embarassed (if that is the correct word to use) by the fact that classes actually do exist in Australia?

Guest homewardbound

I don't honestly think anyone seriously believes there is no class system here, I think it comes down to not wanting there to be one ?

Rubbish! What about the Lexus car brigade, the sporting clubs, the private schools there is a class sytem though not as highly pronounced as the UK it still exists! :cute:

Class system has nothing to do with money its all about lineage just like race horses and it does not exist here, if people think it does then its their attitudes to life and not everyone else who lives here.

Geoff, as I understand it you are living in Australia so wouldn't it be more appropriate to do the same thread relating to this country as exactly the same applies here ? Of course it could be true that you didn't in fact do it just to try and put down the UK :wink:

As for no class system here some people are having a laugh :biggrin: I assume the comment about everyone being middle class was a joke but seriously there is an obvious class system it is just different.

You don't read what I write! :wacko:

I am not attacking England, what I am trying to point out is there is 2 sides to England, 2 sides that most/some don't see! If that is putting the UK down well so be it

Yes they do but to present them as a comparison of life in Uk today is not realistic. I recently watched Alan Davies's teenage revolution which documented growing up in the 70s and 80s and god I was shocked to remember how basic and raw my upbringing was - by comparison with today - apart from the shocking drugs problem that blights every developed country - life in Uk is far better than then - posting pics that reflect that past life is a bit shonky to say the least.

The truth is Uk is fine - got its problems like any other culture - Oz is also fine - bright sunny but lacking life and vibrancy (IMO) and also has its social problems (actually saw real chavs in melbourne last year), let's use this forum constructively to help people make decisions about their lives that are far reaching and meaningful rather than point scoring against each other or using some anomalous scale to comment of benefits of life in Oz Vs Uk. We are all different and want different things, hopefully some of our post resonate with with others which will help with decisions.

It is realistic.

Read enough posts. Your hung up with the date of the pictures. Forget the dates, it's the life some people portray.

I am not attacking, having a go, putting down anyone or the country. Where have I said the UK has got problems? Every country has problems however some see them as everyday normal problems others see them as huge problems. Same goes for Australia, I'm not the one point scoring or trying to turn this into an Oz vs UK thread. :swoon:

It's great to see the chavs are buying airline tickets rather than spending their money on gold! Australia doesn't have chavs :wacko: we have bogans :wacko:

Why are people so quick to state or cling to the belief that there is 'no class' system within Australia................................

Quote....." in the mid-nineteenth century, a powerful Australian actually sought to create an Australian aristocracy - an extraordinary episode passed over rather lightly in the standard histories.

William Charles Wentworth 1790 - 1872 was not some insignificant crackpot: to contemporary opinion he was 'Australia's greatest native son'.

When he died, he was honoured with Australia's first state funeral...........public holiday.....a massive sarcophagus............." Unquote

This is only the beginning in the 'Myth of Australian Classlessness'. Why is it all these years later, Australians appear to be embarassed (if that is the correct word to use) by the fact that classes actually do exist in Australia?

According to mrsindecision the past has no relevance on today :policeman:

Why would you want to even do that anyway???

Seems a completely pointless thing to do to be honest and (probably more to what you initially wanted to do) just got people bickering.

Well done :nah:

Hang on..:idea: Why don't you show the 2 sides of Aussie?? Oh yeah there ís only one isn't there, silly me I forgot.

I don't honestly think anyone seriously believes there is no class system here, I think it comes down to not wanting there to be one ?

I do.

You're right I don't want there to be one in Australia, not after living in the UK and seeing how it works!

Why would you want to even do that anyway???

Seems a completely pointless thing to do to be honest and (probably more to what you initially wanted to do) just got people bickering.

Well done :nah:

Hang on..:idea: Why don't you show the 2 sides of Aussie?? Oh yeah there ís only one isn't there, silly me I forgot.

Onya mate, watch out you don't fall out the tree :SLEEP:

The problem with the UK is this......

Sorry, Geoff, but I see it from a different perspective.

The area, country, whatever, is a beautiful set of islands to the NW of Europe... Unfortunately, it is the people who have made the problem, NOT the landmass per se.

Now, There was an Act Of Parliament called the "British Nationality Act of 1948", whereby the govt. of the day saw fit to state that all citizens of the Commonwealth were British citizens and that as a war had just finished, the govt. needed skilled workers to build the country up again...

British nationality law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And the problem got bigger and bigger...

Cheers, Bobj.

As much as I love Australia, Perth and the suburb we live in, it would be fairly easy to go and look for pictures of riots in Cronulla or, unfortunately, our local beach park on Australia day a couple of years ago.

There are also places (Kalgoorlie, Kwinana for a couple) that don't look too picture postcard.

I know where i want to be and like to live and avoid the other places. Used to try and do the same thing in England too and liked where we lived there (Gee Cross).

The wifes sister lives in Tolpuddle, as picture perfect as can be, but to me it was boring with not much to do. Even the local pub had 2 people in the night we went and looked like being on the verge of closure. Their kids couldn't wait to "escape" to University as they put it and are both in Manchester and loving it. Where they live now might look more like the last picture, with the pipes and bridge over the river, but they are young and wanted a bit of life.

Pictures of either country don't prove anything.

Guest guest36762
The problem with the UK is this......

Sorry, Geoff, but I see it from a different perspective.

The area, country, whatever, is a beautiful set of islands to the NW of Europe... Unfortunately, it is the people who have made the problem, NOT the landmass per se.

Now, There was an Act Of Parliament called the "British Nationality Act of 1948", whereby the govt. of the day saw fit to state that all citizens of the Commonwealth were British citizens and that as a war had just finished, the govt. needed skilled workers to build the country up again...

British nationality law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And the problem got bigger and bigger...

Cheers, Bobj.

yeah, multiculturalism, what a crazy idea. It would never catch on in Oz, especially Qld

Guest Guest37175
How do you work that out? :wacko:

My point is, what most seemed to of missed, is

Some people, remember, live in, quiet little country towns, see children as children, see a British spirit alive and on a whole enjoy their life there. While others seem to live on the other side of town where under age binge drinking is a problem, immigration is a problem, and in council estates.

Who is right who is wrong? BOTH sides are right both see Britain/England through their own eyes and it's something the other person can not or will not see or believe!

I do believe the class system does play a huge part in why there is such a huge divide. How often do you see a country cottage mixed in a council estate? Never! People seem happy living with their own kind (no offence)

Now if you see that as trolling? Go for it! Personally I think you have read into this thread something that wasn't there (ON my part anyway)

If people feel that this post is attacking England I'm sorry you're way off the mark! :wubclub:

My apologies Geoffrey, I presumed you were being mischievous as usual :wink:

In the UK you do get hugely affluent and highly deprived communities living cheek by jowl. North Kensington in London is a good example. It's one of the most deprived wards in the UK, but it merges into Holland Park which is one of the most expensive places to live in europe. Geographically the two communities are close, but that's were the similarities end. The life chances for the affluent Jonathans and Jemima's in Holland Park far outstrip those of their near neighbours and that is all about class and the opportunities it either provides or denies.

Guest Guest37175

Is that do you think a deliberate attempt to distance itself further from the UK, and to try and see itself as being rather more like the USA?

Is that do you think a deliberate attempt to distance itself further from the UK, and to try and see itself as being rather more like the USA?

No I think because there isn't one in the accepted formal sense of the word. The phrase is being misused. There is the usual social strata that every country in the world has but not a formal class system like the UK. If we are going to label the normal social climbing/strata as a "class system" then I think we will need to think up a new word for the obviously real "class system" that exists in the UK.

Oh BTW, I admit it...we have meetings about distancing ourselves from the UK and becoming more american....ssshhh, it is an underlying secret directive we have all been given....we meet 2nd tuesday of the month....all welcome....wear your hat backwards please :biggrin:

i have lived in australia for almost 2 years, it is a slightly better place than the uk in my eyes, not as big gap as i first thought when i was migrating here. You see you really start to realise there is no utopia at all anywhere once you get into the daily grinds of life. Australia still though is better for my kids and us as a family in the grand scheme of things but i do have my days i tell yer. For example england is far far more advanced in basically everything, we have evolved further than aussies in every single way which is understandable australia being a relative young country. The malls here are filled with pure white people, where as uk it is mixed which i feel is better as kids grow up intergrated and not racist, and judge a person for a person so to speak. Uk has alot of trouble but for the 22 million that live in australia i would guess the stats per person is far worse here in australia, there is so much stupid crime here in perth it annoys me, graffeati, robbery, bashing people, knife crimes etc. Don't tell me there is no class sytem here please, i have been to barbecues where people basically show off what they have, most people here are racist too which is understandable to some degree as they see the influx of migrants to the uk and think they don't want it here so to speak but the problem with this is it creates a small mind mentality which cannot evolve beyond underlining issues, and if i was to be honest (im generalizing here) they don't seem to like us poms much but i love winding them up with that one. I think uk people are better than aussies, just my view. Im proud to be british.

I have been around australia and basically abit disapointed, there is no vibe or action. For example i used to love my cornwall, southend, clacton on sea, great yarmouth, alton towers days out, here you don't have the same, if you stay on a campsite here there is no entertainment for the kids, its dull unless you are old and love scenery. This in my opinion and it seems to explain the massive suicide and mental illness here, even i feel some times im going crazy and have to snap myself out of it, uk has action something i took for granted and like most i slagged the uk off big time whilst living there.

Everything here is franchised and americanised, they do not like free enterprise or encourage it. I tried to start my own business and basically i was shut down by my competitors and told i had to buy into a franchise if i was to continue, they basically made it so hard for me, i tried to exploit the internet seeing what it had created in the uk i thought i could see into the future with the way things could go in australia, again big disapoinment, every thing is protected, even harvey normal is complaining about internet dealers and will eventually get his way, which stops again the evolving and adapting to new things.

What about the heat?, people say all poms moan about the heat but seriously is 40 degrees comfortable tio any human person?, mosquitos sucking your blood spreading infections, dont get me started on the flys...........Also ive noticed big time that everyone looks old very quickly, poms definately look younger and that is down to the sun. Also what about the drugs here, it seems every other house is a drug house.

Im lucky as i can live in either country because i have permanent residentcy and i know many many aussies i have met that would love to come to the uk so it works both ways.

I know personally many poms here that will not admit it but hate it here and feel trapped as they cannot get back now due to children, family or finacially, they are seriosuly living a lie basically and it shows through when you talk to them, they are in denial.

Right now im going through my own homesickness which i will get over as i know what it is and i was expecting it. I will get though it but you will all mostly experience this feeling at some point.

Australia is better for sports and outdoor living, oppotunities here for our children it seems will be better in the future years but

Uk is not that bad trust me on this.

O and come on, australian politics is a farce, they love to suck america's ass big style, cracks me up when i see that english prime minister julia on the tele.

Guest Guest37175
No I think because there isn't one in the accepted formal sense of the word. The phrase is being misused. There is the usual social strata that every country in the world has but not a formal class system like the UK. If we are going to label the normal social climbing/strata as a "class system" then I think we will need to think up a new word for the obviously real "class system" that exists in the UK.

Oh BTW, I admit it...we have meetings about distancing ourselves from the UK and becoming more american....ssshhh, it is an underlying secret directive we have all been given....we meet 2nd tuesday of the month....all welcome....wear your hat backwards please :biggrin:

I knew it!!, and my missus tried to tell me that all that traffic was headed to the Harvey Norman Sale!

i have lived in australia for almost 2 years, it is a slightly better place than the uk in my eyes, not as big gap as i first thought when i was migrating here. You see you really start to realise there is no utopia at all anywhere once you get into the daily grinds of life. Australia still though is better for my kids and us as a family in the grand scheme of things but i do have my days i tell yer. For example england is far far more advanced in basically everything, we have evolved further than aussies in every single way which is understandable australia being a relative young country. The malls here are filled with pure white people, where as uk it is mixed which i feel is better as kids grow up intergrated and not racist, and judge a person for a person so to speak. Uk has alot of trouble but for the 22 million that live in australia i would guess the stats per person is far worse here in australia, there is so much stupid crime here in perth it annoys me, graffeati, robbery, bashing people, knife crimes etc. Don't tell me there is no class sytem here please, i have been to barbecues where people basically show off what they have, most people here are racist too which is understandable to some degree as they see the influx of migrants to the uk and think they don't want it here so to speak but the problem with this is it creates a small mind mentality which cannot evolve beyond underlining issues, and if i was to be honest (im generalizing here) they don't seem to like us poms much but i love winding them up with that one. I think uk people are better than aussies, just my view. Im proud to be british.

I have been around australia and basically abit disapointed, there is no vibe or action. For example i used to love my cornwall, southend, clacton on sea, great yarmouth, alton towers days out, here you don't have the same, if you stay on a campsite here there is no entertainment for the kids, its dull unless you are old and love scenery. This in my opinion and it seems to explain the massive suicide and mental illness here, even i feel some times im going crazy and have to snap myself out of it, uk has action something i took for granted and like most i slagged the uk off big time whilst living there.

Everything here is franchised and americanised, they do not like free enterprise or encourage it. I tried to start my own business and basically i was shut down by my competitors and told i had to buy into a franchise if i was to continue, they basically made it so hard for me, i tried to exploit the internet seeing what it had created in the uk i thought i could see into the future with the way things could go in australia, again big disapoinment, every thing is protected, even harvey normal is complaining about internet dealers and will eventually get his way, which stops again the evolving and adapting to new things.

What about the heat?, people say all poms moan about the heat but seriously is 40 degrees comfortable tio any human person?, mosquitos sucking your blood spreading infections, dont get me started on the flys...........Also ive noticed big time that everyone looks old very quickly, poms definately look younger and that is down to the sun. Also what about the drugs here, it seems every other house is a drug house.

Im lucky as i can live in either country because i have permanent residentcy and i know many many aussies i have met that would love to come to the uk so it works both ways.

I know personally many poms here that will not admit it but hate it here and feel trapped as they cannot get back now due to children, family or finacially, they are seriosuly living a lie basically and it shows through when you talk to them, they are in denial.

Right now im going through my own homesickness which i will get over as i know what it is and i was expecting it. I will get though it but you will all mostly experience this feeling at some point.

Australia is better for sports and outdoor living, oppotunities here for our children it seems will be better in the future years but

Uk is not that bad trust me on this.

O and come on, australian politics is a farce, they love to suck america's ass big style, cracks me up when i see that english prime minister julia on the tele.

I would hate to see what you would write if you didn't like that place :rolleyes:

Could you possibly find anything else to whine about?

I would hate to see what you would write if you didn't like that place :rolleyes:

Could you possibly find anything else to whine about?

there you go with the 'whining' slogan we hear so much from you aussie lovers. Im a normal person, these are normal feelings. I am just encouraging people to hear it from both sides thats all.

By the way aussies are bigger whiners than us for sure.

No, i think Australians have their own identity and are very proud of it. A lot of them are also proud to be part of the commonwealth and are very happy to still have the Queen as their head of state.

IMO they wouldn't be too pleased to be classed as being like US citizens and Aus like the USA. I'm sure they would rather be more like laid back English, with no class barriers, living in a nice climate. They seem to be doing a decent job of that.

there you go with the 'whining' slogan we hear so much from you aussie lovers. Im a normal person, these are normal feelings. I am just encouraging people to hear it from both sides thats all.

By the way aussies are bigger whiners than us for sure.

Your rant sounds like one long whine to me. Complaining about everything & everyone.

Archived