gr8leo87

Guest greenhope
I hope they expedite external checks for CAT2. based on what my CO says my application has been under security checks for 4 months. I am an Iranian and usually this process takes 6 to 12 months for Iranians

Regards

Dear Reza,

I'm also an Iranian and stock for more than 14 month in security check . I really wish you more luck on security check.

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest greenhope

Yes it is. My occupation is Urban and regional planner that was on csl and also is on WA SMP. I have an overall point of 7.5 in Ielts . I'm just 0.5 point short on writing skill which makes me doubtful about being on smp but my agent believes it's OK.

Yes it is. My occupation is Urban and regional planner that was on csl and also is on WA SMP. I have an overall point of 7.5 in Ielts . I'm just 0.5 point short on writing skill which makes me doubtful about being on smp but my agent believes it's OK.

If this is the case then you are on Cat2 fore sure. I had the same situation and promoted to Cat2 once QLD SMP was announced.

So consider your application in Cat2

Then Why is your case taking this much time ? I believe security checks for Iranians must be something between 6 to 10 months.

What was your category before releasing SMP ? Have you ever been abroad or been only in Iran?

Regards

Guest greenhope
If this is the case then you are on Cat2 fore sure. I had the same situation and promoted to Cat2 once QLD SMP was announced.

So consider your application in Cat2

Then Why is your case taking this much time ? I believe security checks for Iranians must be something between 6 to 10 months.

What was your category before releasing SMP ? Have you ever been abroad or been only in Iran?

Regards

nothing so special. no criminal record and no traveling abroad.I just wanted to warn you that security check could take much more time than you expected. the most bothering thing is that the sending inquiries is quite useless. you just get answers like "routine check" and that's all. there is no way to make security check quicker. this process is absolutely a "Black Box".I have a simple suggestion that you relax , enjoy your life and don't let waiting ruin your life:wink:.

Reza! Look at this link Post September 07 PR Visas there is an applicant from Iran who got his visa in around 6 months from the date of being allocating a CO..Look at the bottom of the page (A may 2008 applicant)...Still hope but I guess it won't be less than 6 months :mad:

Thanks for giving hope . I am expecting to have my security checks finalized in 6 to 8 months. 4 bloody months have already passed

Regards

nothing so special. no criminal record and no traveling abroad.I just wanted to warn you that security check could take much more time than you expected. the most bothering thing is that the sending inquiries is quite useless. you just get answers like "routine check" and that's all. there is no way to make security check quicker. this process is absolutely a "Black Box".I have a simple suggestion that you relax , enjoy your life and don't let waiting ruin your life:wink:.

How did you find out that your application been sent for security checks ?

I mean were you requested to submit form 80 or do you have any other evidence showing when your application been sent for security checks?

Mine was sent in Dec2010 based on what my CO says. Probably you have inquired the same from your CO or have sent an inquiry to IGIS haven't you ?

Regards

Guest greenhope
How did you find out that your application been sent for security checks ?

I mean were you requested to submit form 80 or do you have any other evidence showing when your application been sent for security checks?

Mine was sent in Dec2010 based on what my CO says. Probably you have inquired the same from your CO or have sent an inquiry to IGIS haven't you ?

Regards

Dear Reza,

Before anything else I would like to apologize if my post brought you any disappointment. I really didn't mean that. actually I know many Iranians who got their visa nearly one year after their lodgement. So please don't give up hope. secondly my form 80 was met exactly on the day i got CO.According to my agent based on numerous inquiries my case is in security check now.

happy Nowruz (persian new year) and wish you all happiness and good news from OZ!

Is anyone aware of any Pakistani or someone from Pakistani origin who was a March / April or May 2010 applicant and who has received a grant or at least has had his/her security checks finalised ?

Thats an absolute joke really. I haven't heard of people from any other country that gets put through these crap. They pretty much treat Bangladeshis like they are came from Guantanamo or something.

Not from Guantanamo but he worked Afganistan for 2/3 years. Thats could be the reason he guessed. His CO assigned on Nov 09. Internal and External checking is going on and on..... He is 175 & P3 applicant.

Its done by ASIO so its impossible to lobby them to hurry up like you can with DIAC. They are AUstralias equivalent of CIA or Mossad.

This could be of interest.

http://www.asio.gov.au/img/files/ASIOs-Security-Assessment-Function.pdf

The key bits to note are:

1) Most ASIO Security Assessments are made at the request of another department or agency. In other words DIAC

2) Security Assessments can range from a simple check of personal details against ASIO’s intelligence holdings, to an in-depth intelligence investigation to determine the nature and extent of an identified threat to Australia’s national security. LR probably goes for simple checks while selected HR are sent for in-depth assessment

3) Any person applying for a visa to travel to, or remain in, Australia may have the application referred by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship to ASIO for a Security Assessment.

4) Given the large volume of visa applications, it is not practicable for each one to be assessed by ASIO. A risk-managed referral framework has, therefore, been developed so that applications more likely to be of concern are drawn to ASIO’s attention. In simple english, send all those with Muslim names or from countries with troubled background for the in-depth ones and just pass the rest with simple checks.

My guess is that majority of the LR countries go for the simple "check" while those from Muslim countries (specifically Bangladesh, Pakistan, Afghanistan) and all those applying for PPV (refugee PR) go through the "in-depth" assessment.

Which is probably why all LR (and majority of HR) gets their visas in 5 minutes to few weeks while those from the selected few countries. go through the in-depth assessment which can take from 6 months to 1+ year.

Lastly since it goes by CO's discretion, it doesn't mean that everyone from Bangladesh or Pakistan will have to go through this, its whatever that raises CO's sense of insecurity whether its your name, or your hometown or any particular info you put in your application.

Guest umairghias
Is anyone aware of any Pakistani or someone from Pakistani origin who was a March / April or May 2010 applicant and who has received a grant or at least has had his/her security checks finalised ?

I have not seen ..... I have seen indians and srilankans getting grants quickly ... not from Pakistan ...........

Which is probably why all LR (and majority of HR) gets their visas in 5 minutes to few weeks while those from the selected few countries. go through the in-depth assessment which can take from 6 months to 1+ year.

Mate, if you check the first page of the CAT3 OR CAT2 thread of this forum, you would see that on average it takes about a month between allocation of a CO and visa grant for applicants from LR countries.

It has been 2 weeks since you got your CO, you need to be a bit patient.

Regards,

MOTO

Mate, if you check the first page of the CAT3 OR CAT2 thread of this forum, you would see that on average it takes about a month between allocation of a CO and visa grant for applicants from LR countries.

It has been 2 weeks since you got your CO, you need to be a bit patient.

Regards,

MOTO

Mate, people from my country are waiting from 8 months to year and half already with CO.

Its no longer about LR/HR, cat 2/3 which matters before you get a CO, after that its a different ball game.

This could be of interest.

http://www.asio.gov.au/img/files/ASIOs-Security-Assessment-Function.pdf

The key bits to note are:

1) Most ASIO Security Assessments are made at the request of another department or agency. In other words DIAC

2) Security Assessments can range from a simple check of personal details against ASIO’s intelligence holdings, to an in-depth intelligence investigation to determine the nature and extent of an identified threat to Australia’s national security. LR probably goes for simple checks while selected HR are sent for in-depth assessment

3) Any person applying for a visa to travel to, or remain in, Australia may have the application referred by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship to ASIO for a Security Assessment.

4) Given the large volume of visa applications, it is not practicable for each one to be assessed by ASIO. A risk-managed referral framework has, therefore, been developed so that applications more likely to be of concern are drawn to ASIO’s attention. In simple english, send all those with Muslim names or from countries with troubled background for the in-depth ones and just pass the rest with simple checks.

My guess is that majority of the LR countries go for the simple "check" while those from Muslim countries (specifically Bangladesh, Pakistan, Afghanistan) and all those applying for PPV (refugee PR) go through the "in-depth" assessment.

Lastly since it goes by CO's discretion, it doesn't mean that everyone from Bangladesh or Pakistan will have to go through this, its whatever that raises CO's sense of insecurity whether its your name, or your hometown or any particular info you put in your application.

Very useful information and good analysis.

Regards

Mate, people from my country are waiting from 8 months to year and half already with CO.

Its no longer about LR/HR, cat 2/3 which matters before you get a CO, after that its a different ball game.

If it takes 8-12 months for Bangladeshi applicants, then that is what it takes. There is nothing you can do to speed up the process.

PS.

I understand your frustration.

Regards,

MOTO

If it takes 8-12 months for Bangladeshi applicants, then that is what it takes. There is nothing you can do to speed up the process.

PS.

Regards,

MOTO

It used to take 8-12 months. But if you are in Cat2 then it my take less I suppose.

Even I read some where that they are gonna speed up security checks

Regards

PS.

Regards,

MOTO

There are other factors that can affect LR processing like meds/PCC renewals or simply CO dealing with too many of them in one go, not just security checks.

I know there is nothing we can do now but there isn't much info regarding this issue of "security check" anywhere. Till I came across that PDF, read it, and gave my 5 cents worth on it.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't complaining but rather trying to tell people stuck in this limbo what's most likely the real cause.

Theres lot of unanswered questions like what are the different types of checks? Why does some HR applicant get it so quickly than others even though they are both HR? etc. I just attempted to answer those in light of that PDF.

Reza,Where exactly have you read that security checks are affected by priorities.I don't think thats true , I think priorities only affect processing before CO allocation.I agree with User_name's statement regarding :-

"Its no longer about LR/HR, cat 2/3 which matters before you get a CO, after that its a different ball game".

I think that might be true.Similarly I think that pegging a range say 8 - 12 months against a particular country is not right.All cases are different and depend on individual circumstances.Similary it also depends on the external agency's resource availibility to cater cases.The bottom line is that people should follow the client service charter provided by the official website and follow the timelines that they have stated.

Hala Habibi Reza:laugh:

My agent said that he called DIAC who replied that the application is under security checks he said also that he sent them an e-mail and not yet had an answer:goofy:

In my opinion because the internal checks are already completed by the high commision and ASIO has not received a referral from DIAC then it will be most problably that they are waiting an assessment report about my identity from agencies in my country. Remember Identity is a key issue in the visa application

Regards,

Archived