gr8leo87

Guest rupani
Hi, rebejes3

If I heart you I apologies for that, also like other people I want to know is DIAC open in Easter Holiday's or not still I havn't get any confirmation on that.

Regard's

jackd.:notworthy:

Hi,

If you are gonna visit them during easter holidays than I would suggest you to plan your visit for some other day.

Regards

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bilaln30

I was asked by my CO to ammend Form 80 in first week of Feb, 2010, which I did in a day. No questions/queries were raised after that. In May, 2010 I inquired IGIS about my application & I was given the following feedback:

"Dear Mr *****

Thank you for your inquiry concerning the time taken to process the security assessment associated with this visa application.

As a result of your inquiry I have made an administrative inquiry of the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO), the agency responsible for processing security assessments.

My inquiry has revealed that ASIO has received a referral in this matter and there is no indication of delay or any other error by ASIO in its processing.

To ensure that all applications are treated fairly, ASIO processes these cases in the order in which they are received, unless they are allocated priority by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC). I have been advised that this case is being considered in accordance with the priority allocated to it by DIAC.

My office has no role in determining the priority of a case. If you believe that this visa application requires a higher priority due to personal circumstances, I suggest you discuss the matter with the DIAC case officer. The case officer can prioritise the matter on compelling or compassionate grounds if the case officer assesses that to be appropriate.

Even if the case is given a high priority, the time taken to process a security assessment can still vary based on individual and other circumstances, and is not necessarily quick.

It is not possible for me to predict how long this assessment will take.

I trust this information is useful to you. Thank you for raising the matter with me."

I again asked IGIS in Nov, 2010, for which I got the following reply:

"Dear Mr *****

I refer to your inquiry concerning any security assessment that may be required for this visa application.

The Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) is the agency responsible for conducting security assessments. I have contacted ASIO for information about this visa application to check ASIO’s handling of any security assessment associated with the application.

This office can check whether or not ASIO is acting unreasonably or has made a processing error but we are not able to direct ASIO to change the priority of a case, or make the process quicker for a particular applicant.

Where we identify an issue requiring resolution, we liaise with the relevant agencies about the issue.

We will contact you if we require any further information about the case but will not provide any other feedback.

I suggest you maintain contact with the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) for information about the status of the visa application."

My feedback of CO reply on 9 March, 2011 suggests the following:

"Dear M*******

Thank you for your email regarding the above Skilled Migration application.

At this time, I am still awaiting the finalisation of the routine external checking. I am hopeful that this will be finalised within the next few months, however I cannot advise a timeframe as it is not within my control.

I understand that the delay is causing frustration for the applicant and his family. I can only assure you that I have taken all the possible followup action to have the matter finalised as soon as possible.

Further to this, the only other advice I can give is that the applicants make a formal complaint with the IGIS regarding the processing timeframe taken thus far, which can be done at http://www.igis.gov.au/complaints/make_complaint.cfm

Regards,"

Its been 14 months since start of my checks

Could anyone suggest how much more time my application would take?

Should I make another complaint with IGIS or not?

Actually it's not 14 months since the 'start' of your checks. It's been fourteen months since you have case has been referred. It will be processed/is processed/was processed according to the order in which it was received or according to the priority set by DIAC.

We don't know when your checks were started.

Actually it's not 14 months since the 'start' of your checks. It's been fourteen months since you have case has been referred. It will be processed/is processed/was processed according to the order in which it was received or according to the priority set by DIAC.

We don't know when your checks were started.

so It means Priority would be set according to processing Category or Occupation. (just my opinion)

Guest guest41018

You wait and wait and wait and then.....BANG

We got our visa today, the long wait is over and we are over the moon.

Good luck to everyone.

Guest rupani

Good luck to everyone.

Congratulations.

From which country are you and when the case officer was assigned to you?

Best regards

Good luck to everyone.

Congrats mate !!! I guess you have been waiting since the beginning of 2010.When was a CO assigned to you ?

Guest guest41018

Thanks everybody, it's much appreciated.

Details are:

Applied July 2009 - Pharmacist (former CSL, but not on SOL now) - Current (special) Category 4, like Computer Professionals (NEC)

CO Allocated: November 2009

Form 80: Final submission January 2010 (needed extra info)

Medicals/PCC at CO request: PCC done in January 2010, medicals finalised early February 2010.

Long wait, IGIS complaint and others.

Told of security clearance a couple of weeks ago by agent, CO asked for new PCC, but not medicals - submitted PCC yesterday and visa grant today with first entry date by early August.

Both UK citizens, but wife was born in Pakistan and classed as Pakistani despite not having been resident there for 30 years.

Hope that helps.

Details are:

Applied July 2009 - Pharmacist (former CSL, but not on SOL now) - Current (special) Category 4, like Computer Professionals (NEC)

Medicals/PCC at CO request: PCC done in January 2010, medicals finalised early February 2010.

Told of security clearance a couple of weeks ago by agent, CO asked for new PCC, but not medicals - submitted PCC yesterday and visa grant today with first entry date by early August.

Both UK citizens, but wife was born in Pakistan and classed as Pakistani despite not having been resident there for 30 years.

Hope that helps.

Wow!!! I'm so happy for you man!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Details are:

Hope that helps.

I think the Category or priority does not matter once you are assigned a CO specially for pre 1 July 2010 applicants who had a CO assigned.From your timeline it appears that security checks take approx 14 months after final submission of Form 80.Did you undergo a security check as well or was your form 80 and 1221 Met without any hassle unlike that of your wife.Similarly , I think it also depends where a person is born in Pakistan.Urban cities like Islamabad , Lahore and Karachi might have quicker checks than rural or tribal villages , cities etc.

I think the Category or priority does not matter once you are assigned a CO specially for pre 1 July 2010 applicants who had a CO assigned.From your timeline it appears that security checks take approx 14 months after final submission of Form 80.Did you undergo a security check as well or was your form 80 and 1221 Met without any hassle unlike that of your wife.Similarly , I think it also depends where a person is born in Pakistan.Urban cities like Islamabad , Lahore and Karachi might have quicker checks than rural or tribal villages , cities etc.

Actually it is not that as soon your case if referred you security checks start. They get started when they (ASIO) get round to it (according to the order in which it was received or according to the priority).. the whole process of security check is not more than 3-4 months in my opinion. But the time it takes for ASIO to get round your file is pretty long.

Guest guest41018

I agree with you to a point, once you are assigned a case officer, and you are not to be deassigned, but for Category 1 the priority shouldn't make much difference in the overall scheme of things, the security clearance is the issue. That said, as was the case from September 2009 onwards, if you were assigned a case officer, but were not on the CSL, you were deassigned your case officer and shunted to the back of the queue and the process put on indefinate hold. I suspect for moral/PR/adminstrative reasons and given the negative publicity for all the changes, the ministers in charge decided that those who were assigned a case officer by July 2010 should not be deassigned and that those like us and the computer professionals (nec) should be processed to completion even though were were previously on the CSL, but not now on the new SOL, hence his special mention of these occupations in the last processing directive - had the minister not made special mention of these occupations, we would have had our case officer removed.

As for me, I filled in a Form 80 when lodging the application (not again later) at the suggestion of our MA, but my particulars were cleared very early, but even though my wife had done her PCCs, it still stated that she had 'character particulars outstanding' all the way through which suggested security checks - my entry didn't say that. My wife is the lead applicant, and I don't recall the 1221 to be honest. My wife's Form 80 would obviously mention my name, date of birth etc.., but I rather suspect that she was the subject of the in-depth check as all the information available points to those who have either lived for a year or more in a HR country or have citizenship of it being liable for security check and I didn't fit into any of those. Whilst she was born in Karachi, she was five when she left and that was over 30 years ago - I suspect which city you were born in might make a slight difference, but then again it may just be a matter of complete luck. Given the record keeping I have seen in that part of the world, I very much doubt they even knew who my wife was and just pretended they had done an exhaustive search for the benefit of the Australian authorities.

Guest guest41018
Actually it is not that as soon your case if referred you security checks start. They get started when they (ASIO) get round to it (according to the order in which it was received or according to the priority).. the whole process of security check is not more than 3-4 months in my opinion. But the time it takes for ASIO to get round your file is pretty long.

Thanks for your kind words.

And you are right, the ASIO checks start when they receive the final Form 80 from the CO and when the internal checks have been completed. The process probably doesn't take that long, but getting replies from other countries and the logjam from the refugees who are given top priority even though they are the least sought after category, are probably the main reasons why it takes so long. I should also point out that it is stated somewhere that those who will require a security assessment should have their matters finalised a maximum of 12-18 months after CO allocation, so if anyone has gone over that, they have cause for complaint. It used to be the case that the security checks used to take a maximum of 9-12 months even for Iran, say, but the recent deluge of asylum seekers has sent the average time shooting up.

Guest koko1

Dear Roundomus,

pls can you give me an idea whether internal checking includes security checks as my CO told me my application is pending internal checking and it will take about 3 months to conclude?

I get a bit worried if only to confirm documents from 3rd parties can take that long. I am a cat 2 applicant. my boss told me the Australian high commission in Pretoria called him to confirm whether I was working for his company but the embassy didnt call me. my boss made an error in the info he gave about his board of directors but later sent an email for the correction. I don't know what effect this will have on me?

And you are right, the ASIO checks start when they receive the final Form 80 from the CO and when the internal checks have been completed. The process probably doesn't take that long, but getting replies from other countries and the logjam from the refugees who are given top priority even though they are the least sought after category, are probably the main reasons why it takes so long. I should also point out that it is stated somewhere that those who will require a security assessment should have their matters finalised a maximum of 12-18 months after CO allocation, so if anyone has gone over that, they have cause for complaint. It used to be the case that the security checks used to take a maximum of 9-12 months even for Iran, say, but the recent deluge of asylum seekers has sent the average time shooting up.

Guest guest41018
Dear Roundomus,

pls can you give me an idea whether internal checking includes security checks as my CO told me my application is pending internal checking and it will take about 3 months to conclude?

I get a bit worried if only to confirm documents from 3rd parties can take that long. I am a cat 2 applicant. my boss told me the Australian high commission in Pretoria called him to confirm whether I was working for his company but the embassy didnt call me. my boss made an error in the info he gave about his board of directors but later sent an email for the correction. I don't know what effect this will have on me?

Generally speaking, internal checks refers to anything within the jurisdiction of DIAC and external generally refers to ASIO. Sometimes, however, some case officers term anything within Australia, like ASIO, to be internal and anything done outside Australia such as checks by the Australian Embassy in your home country as external even though these are done within the jurisdiction of DIAC - routine processing can mean either.

The discriminating factor is whether they give some sort of expected time horizon; if they do, there are unlikely to be any security checks and if it is left open or they are unable to say, it is almost invariably security checks. As they have mentioned 3 months to you and I assume that you are from South Africa you probably will not have to undergo, or be undergoing, a security check.

I wouldn't worry about the basic document/integrity checks, they take time and, in fact, verifying identity can take an extraordinarily long time; you should be aware that those who work in government institutions tend to be on the slow side, both in terms of their work rate and cognitive performance whatever country they belong to, those in the UK public sector are a joke, so expect a bit of time to be taken. I wouldn't worry about your employer check, it will sort itself out - they almost always call the employer, but not the employee.

Guest bilaln30

I must acknowledge that this is an excellent post.

I was assigned CO in Aug, 2009 only to be de-assigned on 23 Sep, 2009 (due to priority changes). In between I did medicals, PCC & Form 80 submissions etc on the request of CO. My case remained suspended from Sep, 2009 till Dec 2009.

In Dec, 2009 the Minister decided that small number of Cat 5 applicants who were asked to do medicals by CO would be processed. I was asked to amend Form 80 in first week of Feb, 2010 which I promptly did. Since then I am stuck with these Character checks. On Page 41 of this forum I have written the latest reply of my CO (Mar, 2011). I desperately need a few likely timelines at this point cos of my domestics & children admission in Universities.

In light of your post above Could you please suggest me when this timeline of CO allocation of 12-18 months would finish in my case?

what is the average time frame for security checks for Iranian applicants at present ?

I have been under security checks since Dec 2010.

Does living in Kuwait delay the finalization of security checks ?

Regards

Guest bilaln30
what is the average time frame for security checks for Iranian applicants at present ?

I have been under security checks since Dec 2010.

Does living in Kuwait delay the finalization of security checks ?

Regards

My CO was reallocated in Dec, 2009. If they consider Iran & Pakistan same very HR country then I think U will have to wait for at least a year.

My CO was reallocated in Dec, 2009. If they consider Iran & Pakistan same very HR country then I think U will have to wait for at least a year.

It will depend on the priority of his case. If he is 176 his checks would be faster.

It's not like they actual checks are 'carried' for whole 12 months. There's huge queue and backlog. And it takes time for the agency to come round the file to check them. But once they do get round to it checks are usually 3-5 months (may be, speculation!)..

And they will get round to 176 earlier than they will get round to 175.

Checks for not-so-higher risk countries can be anywhere between 2 days to 1 month.. but its all about when they get round to it.

Guest ART

Anyone with any positive news.Its too quiet here.This thread is usually quite active :wink:

Guest ART

Bilal when did you submit the final version of your Form 80 to the CO after rellocation ?

Guest ART
I must acknowledge that this is an excellent post.

I was assigned CO in Aug, 2009 only to be de-assigned on 23 Sep, 2009 (due to priority changes). In between I did medicals, PCC & Form 80 submissions etc on the request of CO. My case remained suspended from Sep, 2009 till Dec 2009.

In Dec, 2009 the Minister decided that small number of Cat 5 applicants who were asked to do medicals by CO would be processed. I was asked to amend Form 80 in first week of Feb, 2010 which I promptly did. Since then I am stuck with these Character checks. On Page 41 of this forum I have written the latest reply of my CO (Mar, 2011). I desperately need a few likely timelines at this point cos of my domestics & children admission in Universities.

In light of your post above Could you please suggest me when this timeline of CO allocation of 12-18 months would finish in my case?

The children universities part seems as if you are quite old and you have grown up kids.Large families and a lot of travelling to HR countries can impact the check process timewise.

Archived