gr8leo87

The way they assess an application for security is so strange. We have been discussing the issue on Iranian forums and never came to a conclusion as to why they refuse applications and what their criteria is. What I have understood they refuse application based on their judgment which is usually wrong.

For an Iranian applicant, if applicant has traveled to Syria or Lebanon her or his applicant will be subjected to refusal fore sure.

A friend of mine was refused due to his travel to Syria, He never been involved in any sort of terrorist action or groups.

Regards

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Wiggles

So guys, where do you think DIAC will place a country like Maldives, high risk, moderate risk, low risk or very low risk? I know no one can tell for sure but some sort of input would be good based on your opinions.

If all the documents including form 80, PCC and medicals have been submitted, and assuming the CO decides not to go through with the ASIO external checks, how long would it take for the CO to arrive at a decision regarding your visa? How does the CO check the validity of things like PCCs, identity documents, academic transcripts... etc? Is the verification of these documents a lenghty and time consuming process? Could the CO do all these checks in one day and grant your visa the same day or is that an unrealistic expectation?

The way they assess an application for security is so strange. We have been discussing the issue on Iranian forums and never came to a conclusion as to why they refuse applications and what their criteria is. What I have understood they refuse application based on their judgment which is usually wrong.

For an Iranian applicant, if applicant has traveled to Syria or Lebanon her or his applicant will be subjected to refusal fore sure.

A friend of mine was refused due to his travel to Syria, He never been involved in any sort of terrorist action or groups.

Regards

Well Australia is not the only country that does it. Pretty much all Arab countries (except Egypt and Jordan) wont let you in if they see you travelled to Israel. Other muslim countries will give you a hard time at least.

In US they discriminate heavily on muslims after 9/11 which was heavily documented in media. So compared to all that, I think Australia's checks are pretty lenient. Not everyone faces 6-12 month wait. Few Pakistanis here I saw got their visa only after a week of getting CO.

Also you have to realise that its impossible (and DIAC guys know it) to ascertain a person's past. Best they can do is guess on past activity and as with your friends case, they probably took a (wrong) guess that "since this person is Iranian and when to Syria, must be some Hezbollah guy trying to get in".

As far as DIAC is concerned, they wont let anyone in just for the sake of fairness. They'd rather reject or make a whole bunch wait a long time than let the wrong person in, after all they got nothing to lose.

In conclusion, if a country has issues with certain groups whether it be muslim, Israelis, Hezbollah, Colombian drug dealers or even liberal westerners they will discriminate to either:

1) reject you outright

2) check you in every way possible to make sure you don't pose any kind of threat

Its a given fact and has been for a while.

So guys, where do you think DIAC will place a country like Maldives, high risk, moderate risk, low risk or very low risk? I know no one can tell for sure but some sort of input would be good based on your opinions.

Maldives is a HR country. If your country is not listed below, its HR automatically.

Andorra

Austria

Belgium

Brunei

Canada

Denmark

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Hong Kong SAR

Iceland

Ireland

Italy

Japan

Liechtenstein

Luxembourg

Malaysia

Malta

Monaco

Netherlands

Norway

Portugal

San Marino

Singapore

South Korea

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

United Kingdom

United States Of America

Vatican City

SOURCE: http://www.gettingdownunder.com/2008/09/17/high-risk-or-low-risk-country-which-are-you/

Hi There , I am new to this post and my external checks have taken approx 11 months now.Has anyone over here who has submitted his/her form 80 / 1221 since 11 - 12 months contacted his/her CO and have they received the same message that a definitive timeframe cannot be provided after a second or third enquiry ?

Hi There , I am new to this post and my external checks have taken approx 11 months now.Has anyone over here who has submitted his/her form 80 / 1221 since 11 - 12 months contacted his/her CO and have they received the same message that a definitive timeframe cannot be provided after a second or third enquiry ?

I have been waiting for more than 11 months as you. Where are you from ?

Enet , I am from Pakistan.Where are you from ? Have you contacted your CO lately ? When is the last time you contacted your CO and what was his/her response.How much longer do you anticipate.I hope priorities dont effect people who launched an application before 1st july 2010 and had a CO before 1st July 2010 as well ?

Guest guest41018

Once again, HR status has nothing, in itself, to do with security checks, it relates to the likely risks regarding validity of particulars. Security assessments relate to the obvious issue of security alone.

Guest guest41018
Well Australia is not the only country that does it. Pretty much all Arab countries (except Egypt and Jordan) wont let you in if they see you travelled to Israel. Other muslim countries will give you a hard time at least.

In US they discriminate heavily on muslims after 9/11 which was heavily documented in media. So compared to all that, I think Australia's checks are pretty lenient. Not everyone faces 6-12 month wait. Few Pakistanis here I saw got their visa only after a week of getting CO.

Also you have to realise that its impossible (and DIAC guys know it) to ascertain a person's past. Best they can do is guess on past activity and as with your friends case, they probably took a (wrong) guess that "since this person is Iranian and when to Syria, must be some Hezbollah guy trying to get in".

As far as DIAC is concerned, they wont let anyone in just for the sake of fairness. They'd rather reject or make a whole bunch wait a long time than let the wrong person in, after all they got nothing to lose.

Australia is probably the only country to do dedicated security checks. Many Arab countries will not let you in if you have been to Israel as a matter of policy - it's a political issue, not a security issue and they do not bother with a security check, it's automatic. Of the 10-15K visa security assessments ASIO do every year, the numbers being issued adverse assessments are in single figures. The situation in the US is well known, but they do not conduct the same type of assessment as Australia and they certainly don't take anywhere near as long - Australia certainly isn't lenient in this regard, their checks are amongst the most rigorous in the world. In the US, you are just more likely to be rejected or hassled at the airport. I don't know who these Pakistanis are who have received a visa a week after CO allocation, that's impossible and probably a lie, they'd have to obtain PCCs and do medicals which will take some time. The only ones who have been granted a visa in relatively short time after CO allocation are those who were granted a CO after the security assessment had been done.

Again, DIAC have nothing to do with security themselves.

What is amazing is that none of the other most developed countries (US, UK, Canada) take this long for security assessments. For Canada its about 3 months for America probably same and they call it administrative processing and in the case of UK its extremely fast and they probably don't even mention it :/

Anyway back to topic, I think not all HR countries get treated the same. According to my agent, Pakistan and Bangladesh takes quite long time.

I can understand Pakistan taking long given the security issues there, but Bangladesh I don't get why.

Guest guest41018
What is amazing is that none of the other most developed countries (US, UK, Canada) take this long for security assessments. For Canada its about 3 months for America probably same and they call it administrative processing and in the case of UK its extremely fast and they probably don't even mention it :/

Indeed. I know of someone who came from Pakistan to the UK, if there was an assessment, it was very quick. It would appear that the UK, as I am sure the US and Canada too, do not want potential migrants to feel different in any way, prior to arrival, as a result of where they applied from - I daresay it helps in terms of social integration and perception.

Guest guest41018
Anyway back to topic, I think not all HR countries get treated the same. According to my agent, Pakistan and Bangladesh takes quite long time.

I can understand Pakistan taking long given the security issues there, but Bangladesh I don't get why.

Bangladesh has had its fair share of security issues in recent years, any internet search should make that clear. The bottom line is that there should be no correspondence between level of risk and time taken for assessment.

Ok guys let's cool it off before this thread comes under the lock hammer.

Everybody has had his respective say and made his bests to defend his view points.

What matters is that DIAC takes significantly longer to process applications from HR countries and it does really piss us off. They should streamline their processes and recruit more people to deal with this efficiently.

Secondly the way they scrutinize every HR applicant is irrational (so it seems because it takes so long, it has to be irrational, other countries don't take this long). They should probably have a more efficient approach to this whole thing. We really don't know what their process is to pinpoint the efficiency issues/duplication of work but what can be ascertained is that there surely is something wrong.

Guest jamfer
Hi, I thought we should have thread for HR applicants time line because their time lines are radically different from non HR applicants because of their lengthy internal/external checks.

I applied in January 2010. Got CO in March and medical requests and form 80 request.

And my application is now under external checks since I don't know 8-10 months may be.

What's the update with you other HR applicant guys?

Hello gr8leo87,

How do you know that externals checks are stuck up ? Does it reflect on the online status - documents checklist ? Mine shows all MET except PCC, so I an unsure about any internal / external checks.

Hello gr8leo87,

How do you know that externals checks are stuck up ? Does it reflect on the online status - documents checklist ? Mine shows all MET except PCC, so I an unsure about any internal / external checks.

My case officer has been telling me this for months now and this is how I know. My Form80 is shown as received.

Guest jamfer
HR applicants where are you now?? :tongue::tongue:

Hello Reza,

How do you know that security checks for you are pending ? Does it show on the online status - documents checklist ? Mine shows all MET except PCC, so am unsure about any internal / external checks.

Guest guest41018
Ok! Username and Roudomous!!! Whatever you say we are all in the same boat stucked in the external check:mad:

Exactly, something which Username seems to think he/she should be exempt from on account of being Bangladeshi.

Hello Reza,

How do you know that security checks for you are pending ? Does it show on the online status - documents checklist ? Mine shows all MET except PCC, so am unsure about any internal / external checks.

Hi

I just asked my CO regarding my application. In Jan 2011 I was told that all required internal checks have been initiated. Last week I inquired the same and asked how many checks are pending and if my security checks have been initiated. I was told that security checks by external agency has not been completed. Since I asked how many checks are pending in order to finalize my application and CO only mentioned external checks I think security check is the only remaining check for my application.

Regards

Archived