Aircraft Maintenance Engineers - TRA / Victoria University Skills Assessment

Guest guest48800

For anyone who is interested I got a reply from Queensland Aerospace about AA exams. They are running one in October but obviously in Brisbane.

Course is 5 days (4 days and exam on the 5th) - price is $500 for tuition, $100 for CASA exam and $20 payable in cash on the day to the exam supervisor(!).

They run 5 or 6 courses per year normally.

Seems a lot more reasonable than Aviation Australia even if there is the cost of going there.

thats roughly on a par with what you pay here for tuition and exams, so it seems ok to me.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ian877

Hi all,

Sorry for going off at a tangent but

I have just booked my IELTS test for 30th July and I am completing the application form.

Has anyone completed this recently? I got to question 21 and it asks "HOW MANY YEARS HAVE YOU BEEN STUDYING ENGLISH? (tick one box only). The choices are: "1 (less than) 2,3,...........9 or more"

How do you answer this if you are a Brit from birth and English is your first language?

Thanks in advance

Ian

• 3 weeks later...
Guest aparky

Feel for you lot with this new TRA, i got mine done about 2 years ago by TRA and was very easy. I'm an aircraft fitter, started as an apprentice so had all my certificates to hand!

BUT........until i went over to oz i didnt realise all the TRA gives you is a pass to a visa, getting a job is a whole new ball game!! If you visit Aviation Australia you'll see they offer Aeroskills certificates. Nearly every aircraft job, whether its maintenance or manufacture requires you to have this in mechanical, avionics or structures(which im waiting on). I have Btec 3 and nvq 3 and need to have these crossed over.....but as its a different syllabus over there i have a lot missing. Now im waiting to get a quote back from them for an assessment where i'll go in their classroom/workshop and repair some structures and also do some mechanical R&I(which seems stupid as im going for the structures certificate).

I'm heading to Melbourne 4th September hoping to secure employment then sponsorship as Vic have rejected my state sponsorship application as my skill set isnt in high enough demand!(WHY PUT IT ON YOUR SMP THEN!!!)

Hope this helps anyone, and if anyone has anything to add i want all the feedback/help i can get, given up a lot to try and get over there just to keep having doors semi slammed in my face!!

Alan

Hope this helps anyone, and if anyone has anything to add i want all the feedback/help i can get, given up a lot to try and get over there just to keep having doors semi slammed in my face!!

Alan

A simple answer with a very difficult execution would be, to get a license. They are in demand. my company cant find people to employ there. and some of the ones they do have are Half-wits.

A simple answer with a very difficult execution would be, to get a license. They are in demand. my company cant find people to employ there. and some of the ones they do have are Half-wits.

Hope the demand is in Melbourne thats where we hope to head!!!

julie:biggrin:

Guest aparky

Very difficult....as this would mean i need a job, thus need a license!! This is the whole problem with a lot of jobs i've been finding, to get the job need PR or citizenship....but to get that need job/sponsorship!!!

Hoping being persistant and up in their faces when i get back will show them how much i want to be there and how it will benefit them employing me!!

Hope the demand is in Melbourne thats where we hope to head!!!

Ive seen adverts for fixed wing and rotary licensed engineers all over Australia. my company is based in Perth but has operations all over the country.

Very difficult....as this would mean i need a job, thus need a license!! This is the whole problem with a lot of jobs i've been finding, to get the job need PR or citizenship....but to get that need job/sponsorship!!!

Hoping being persistant and up in their faces when i get back will show them how much i want to be there and how it will benefit them employing me!!

I meant get a license here first, then try for jobs. though that will take time to become useful. hate to be negative but i have only heard doom and gloom from Mechs in Australia, so i wouldn't use that as your only option. best advice, start taking those exams or look for another way in.

Guest aparky

As im only 25 only got positive things on my mind :biggrin: Nothing to keep me in England so free as a bird and can pretty much do whatever i want! I've been also applying for fitting work and some tradey work as I'm pretty handy...only thing is trying for licenses in England means more time stuck in England, spending my redundancy on going nowhere.

I've now looked and a 175/176 could take 18 months to gain, meaning i can get over there for 2 years after my 2nd year working visa and do whatever i want! I spent 6 months in oz last year researching and have just returned from a 3 month stint doing farmwork....being in country has massive advantages over looking from here! I used to work for Bae Systems, so hoped to transfer to the oz one but that hasnt happened and yet they still keep advertising vacancies they advertised over 2 years ago!! This seems to be the case with a lot of jobs i find....generally have been about for 18-24 months, so i know they cant fill them as well as they know.....its just making that connection and giving them a face to my name!!

What company you going to work for in Perth?? I got offered a job the start of the year with Airflite doing structural repairs...the boss said they already had 4/5 English guys because we are the only ones with that skill as we are the only real manufacturers of aircraft, giving us the basic structures knowledge. Unfortunately this dragged out and i had to return to work in Engand...but talked to him couple of weeks ago and they are currently going through contract talks with the government so may be possibilty again in a month or so.

I work for CHC Helicopter services in Aberdeen on the oil rig support helicopters, but they also have operations worldwide. Perth is where they are based from in Australia. there were lots of jobs in australia advertised by CHC on their website that didnt exist, so if i were you i would talk to the company HR in Aus to make sure those vacancies are real before pinning your hopes on them. there was a guy on here somewhere who worked for BAE systems in australia, and he was one of those saying the market for Mechs wasnt very good. Also the money is pretty rubbish and the security is non existant. if you get into something else and can make a go of it, i wouldnt look back! forget Aeroplanes!

Ive been tempted to get into other things here as well, since some offshore companies regularly take on ex aircraft engineers because they know they are head and shoulders above those training in other industries. and they pay close to £100k a year. if it wasnt for the fact im very well paid where i am now, i would try it. im getting really bored of doing my job!

But as you say, at 25 with a bit of cash and some determination behind you theres nothing stopping you giving it a go. you have plenty marketable skills, especially if you are a good sheetie.

Guest cholly

what a cracking thread. Think it is going to take up a fair bit of my time over the next few months.

My position is am in the last 18 months of my RAF career (to 22) and have 5 MODs left to sit for my B1. OH is a Registered Nurse. 60 points on self assesment, rest to come from either State sponsership or ILETS (we are scottish so was never that good at english)

I have worked F3 91-94, puma 94-03, F3 03-09 now stuck in an ESS post (LITS).

For any of you forces guys on here there is a Emigrate show at farnborough on 4th oct for people on ressetlement. Have a look on the CTP website for enrolment details.

Holly

what a cracking thread. Think it is going to take up a fair bit of my time over the next few months.

My position is am in the last 18 months of my RAF career (to 22) and have 5 MODs left to sit for my B1. OH is a Registered Nurse. 60 points on self assesment, rest to come from either State sponsership or ILETS (we are scottish so was never that good at english)

I have worked F3 91-94, puma 94-03, F3 03-09 now stuck in an ESS post (LITS).

For any of you forces guys on here there is a Emigrate show at farnborough on 4th oct for people on ressetlement. Have a look on the CTP website for enrolment details.

Holly

LITS????? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Puma Experience? you like helicopters? i might know someone!!

Guest cholly
LITS????? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Puma Experience? you like helicopters? i might know someone!!

thats what i want to do.

will be trying to get some work experiance up your way in aberdeen early on next year to start getting my log book filled out as i reckon its easier to convert a licence than individual MOD's

thats what i want to do.

will be trying to get some work experiance up your way in aberdeen early on next year to start getting my log book filled out as i reckon its easier to convert a licence than individual MOD's

Easier? tis impossible to exchange modules. at least at the moment, and prob for the future too! just get the EASA one anyway, as its prob the most valuable one to have, especially if its CAA issued. most places round the world accept it outright or will convert it. apart from Canada or the US.

good luck getting in up in Aberdeen. you looking for a proper job or just work experience?

where did you do your tornado time?

Guest cholly
Easier? tis impossible to exchange modules. at least at the moment, and prob for the future too! just get the EASA one anyway, as its prob the most valuable one to have, especially if its CAA issued. most places round the world accept it outright or will convert it. apart from Canada or the US.

good luck getting in up in Aberdeen. you looking for a proper job or just work experience?

where did you do your tornado time?

thats what i thought.

will be looking for work experience at first, maybe a couple of weekends a month, for about 6 months or so to get ahead of the game with my logbook then full time till time to move to sunnier climbs.

all F3 time was done at Leuchars, best camp in UK, that is soon to be handed over to the army, what a waste

thats what i thought.

will be looking for work experience at first, maybe a couple of weekends a month, for about 6 months or so to get ahead of the game with my logbook then full time till time to move to sunnier climbs.

all F3 time was done at Leuchars, best camp in UK, that is soon to be handed over to the army, what a waste

well, i dont know about that, i liked Brize better. i was on 10 sqn, then 10/101 eng when they merged. i was in TASF at Leuchars 2003-05. i left the RAF from there.

as i said, good luck getting into Aberdeen somewhere. its not easy. nearer the time i could point you in the direction of a few people, but i couldnt guarantee anything for you. its a tough nut to crack sometimes.

• 2 months later...

just thought i'd give the thread a bump:biggrin:

Update for myself is IELTS passed, god knows how lol. Am now just finishing of the gathering of proof that i have been in the Army for 20 odd years as a tech and fingers crossed i will get my Skye interview before xmas.

Guest linzie24

Well an update from us here. Hubby did his IELTS and got 9's in everything apart from writing in which he got a 7, so no 175 visa for us. 176 or he will have to resit which means WA or Vic for us. We are totally in limbo at the moment as we can't decide whether to take this any further or not. We need to look and see what A320 work is out there for B1's and then decide whether to got down the route of getting our own visa or getting sponsorship.

Well an update from us here. Hubby did his IELTS and got 9's in everything apart from writing in which he got a 7, so no 175 visa for us. 176 or he will have to resit which means WA or Vic for us. We are totally in limbo at the moment as we can't decide whether to take this any further or not. We need to look and see what A320 work is out there for B1's and then decide whether to got down the route of getting our own visa or getting sponsorship.

Hi

we went down the sponsorship route as it seems to be a lot quicker,my hubby took the elts just in case we didn't get the sponsorship, but luckily we didn't need it as he also would of had to resit.At the mo he is waiting to hear back from a job in Richmond,we are planning just to go in Jan with or without a job first.Good luck and don't give up!

I also got 7 in the writing, i found the rest of the IELTS was ok. I knew beforehand i would struggle with the writing, it never was my strongest point lol and am also going down the 176 route. Am just hoping to get a visa before next July so as we can fly over and activate them around that time.

Guest linzie24

Well he knew after the test that he had failed it because he did not write enough words on one of the sections. He concentrated on the one that carried the most points and then ran out of time and so had to rush the second one, so he knew he would struggle in that. I guess he could go and do it again, knowing what he knows now. I guess we are just losing our enthusiasm a bit and questioning if we really want to do this. It is hard as we have a great life here in the UK at the moment. Hubby is on a great contract away in Milan for 8 days and then home for 8 days so we get to spend good quality time together as a family. I have a good job which I love - the yearning for something better has dwindled a lot but trying to remember why we made the decision to try Oz in the first place. Sorry I guess this is not the right thread for me rattling on. I also think it is because he has not made any headway in any jobs and so feels like there is not as many opportunities for him out there at present. Also a 176 visa is a very expensive process to go down if you are not sure...................Then again, we don't want to take too long and miss an opportunity as the rules will be changing again soon and we may miss out totally!

I have to be honest we are trying to get everything in place before the Jul 2012 changes and like you say we have had a couple of wobbles as to do we or don't we want to do it, but we want to at least give it a go. I just hope that with the few people on this forum in aviation i will get a heads up as to jobs out in oz.

Hi there, just wondering if anyone thinks that registering with IET is worth doing? just submitted certificates, transcripts, logbook, tool lists, tool photos, job descriptions etc etc etc with agent ready for the TRA assessment, just wondering whether this registration will be useful or a waste of money???

• 1 month later...

Archived