Agent concerned about self-employed accounts?

scarlett

Hi,

My husband is a self employed bricklayer, our agent has requested his accounts for the last 3 years. Today we received an email informing us they were concerned as last years accounts showed a significant drop in earnings. I have replied this is due to the recession and my husband had to reduce his wages and hours dramatically.

We are both very worried now it could interfere with our 176 application or at worst, end it! Does anybody know why this is so concerning? If it helps this years accounts show a significant improvement as work has increased.

Thanks

I agree with Rammygirl, it is because of the requirement to have worked full time for 12 of the lsat 24 months. Do the earnings stack up to a full time salary? What about the year before? It is very relevant to your application, critical in fact.

Last years do not add up to a full salary but the year before does. Any idea where this leaves us? Also, if only the last 24 months are relevant, i don't understand why our agents have requested the last three years accounts? I think my mind is now boogled!

The 12 out of 24 months is a mandatory requirement. However additional points are available for more experience, do you need extra points? I think your agent should have asked for four years accounts if you need those extra points, perhaps just send them anyway as the most recent 12 months won't count.

Pumpkin- your help has been invaluable thank you. We have his accounts from four years ago and these show his average wage, so a better reflection than last years. He will speak to our agent tomorrow and hopefully this should resolve the issue. For my own sanity I have checked DIACs website and it states three out of the last four years. So fingers crossed.

Guest Harry A

Interesting stuff, i'm self employed and had to go back to the tools to be able to lodge my visa application, but i was told it had to be a minimum of 21 hours a week to be able to qualify! I had no issues.

It seems quite a minefield and at this stage I am thankful we are using an agent. Our agent is happy with the explanation as to why the accounts decreased by so much and is confident all should be okay as my husband was working at least 20 hours per week for the last three years. Additionally he will provide the lastest accounts which indicate his earning resuming to a normal amount. Our agent has said it may not be an issue but there is a good chance it will be questioned so we continue on with the waiting game but on tenderhooks!

Thanks for all advice and replies.

Guest Harry A
Why do u need 3 years of accounts we applied for 176 visa nad our self-employed we just gave a letter from our accountant saying we have been in business and that we still are!

I pretty much done the same!

Our agent is using the accounts to prove my husband has worked at least 20 hours per week in his trade. I was confused as couldn't see anything on the 176 application form that requests accounts but as we are paying an agent we are putting our trust in them. However, a letter from his accountant would have been so much easier. Time will tell.

Our agent is using the accounts to prove my husband has worked at least 20 hours per week in his trade. I was confused as couldn't see anything on the 176 application form that requests accounts but as we are paying an agent we are putting our trust in them. However, a letter from his accountant would have been so much easier. Time will tell.

Absolutely but fingers crossed you will have more than enough information maybe you should ask agent if he has not lodged about other option if the accounts bother him. Wishing you the best of luck Im sure it will all work out :-)

My husband spoke with our agent on Friday as she was adament it had to be the last three years accounts and to get this years accounts done asap so they can be added to the application. He asked if there was anything else we could provide and in addition to the accounts we have had to supply an additional reference to support why last years account were low in comparison to the previous two. It all feels quite risky now and it has taken the excitement away. I'm hoping it's just our agents been over cautious and preparing for every eventuality.

My husband spoke with our agent on Friday as she was adament it had to be the last three years accounts and to get this years accounts done asap so they can be added to the application. He asked if there was anything else we could provide and in addition to the accounts we have had to supply an additional reference to support why last years account were low in comparison to the previous two. It all feels quite risky now and it has taken the excitement away. I'm hoping it's just our agents been over cautious and preparing for every eventuality.

You are obviously much further down the road than us maybe I have it wrong afterall Im not an agent and you would hope they know what they are doing! It would be great if someone out there who has completed process could confirm.

Come on pio join this thread and share you experience. Have you read the forms yourself? I honestly never saw anything about accounts. We are going for ACT SS 176 visa so I presume its exactly the same. Try not to worry you are way down the road surely the economy can account for down turn in accounts the world knows what its been like.

You are obviously much further down the road than us maybe I have it wrong afterall Im not an agent and you would hope they know what they are doing! It would be great if someone out there who has completed process could confirm.

Come on pio join this thread and share you experience. Have you read the forms yourself? I honestly never saw anything about accounts. We are going for ACT SS 176 visa so I presume its exactly the same. Try not to worry you are way down the road surely the economy can account for down turn in accounts the world knows what its been like.

We didn't give accounts, and this was not a problem for us. We used an agent and had no problems at all. :biggrin:

Guest Sebbers

We provided copies of tax returns for the 7 years prior to lodging our application together with cis dockets to prove income, we don't have an accountant as we completed the self-assessment tax returns ourself, so didnt have a chart of accounts to send anyway. We were never asked for any further information when we got our c/o

When you have been lodging visa applications as long as we have you realise that case officers can (and often do) ask for information that hasn't been requested before.

That said, I think that where an applicant is self employed it is sensible to submit accounts, the relevant tax return, and a letter from the applicant's accountant covering the 3 years prior to the submission of the visa application.

A few references from happy customers over the same period also helps validate the claim that work done has been skilled.

Best regards.

Thanks to all replies, you've all offered some much needed reassurance. Alan, I think you've answered my million dollar question- accounts are requested in preparation for further down the line, covering every eventuality.

Thanks everyone!

When you have been lodging visa applications as long as we have you realise that case officers can (and often do) ask for information that hasn't been requested before.

That said, I think that where an applicant is self employed it is sensible to submit accounts, the relevant tax return, and a letter from the applicant's accountant covering the 3 years prior to the submission of the visa application.

A few references from happy customers over the same period also helps validate the claim that work done has been skilled.

Best regards.

Ver good thanks Alan for sharing that :biggrin:

Archived