Whos going to Mackay

Still-a-dream!

Guest MissBehaving
Missbehaving. If you do that for me I will love you forever and possibly volunteer to have your babies.

You can bring them over fine as long as you declare them to Customs. Whenever any of my friends go to the UK they always get a reminder "don't forget the toffee crisps"

Lucky for you - I have had my babies!!! ....lol....

No worries - i will try my hardest to remember them.

PS: If I declare them at customs (which I will of course because I dont want issues) --- does that mean they will search my suitcases?

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Generally not; they open them anyway, just keep all foodstuffs on the top and they're usually happy with that. I've worked in PNG on contract a few times and thought bringing my work boots back would be a drama, but if you're transparent they seem to be able to tell, inspect the declared goods and pass you through.

Guest radders

Were moving to Mackay for sure in August! We fly into Brisbane on 4th August...

Looking forward to our move! Very exciting but really nervous too...

Hows everyone one else progressing in Mackay? Those who have moved or those who will be moving?! Thank you Bob so far for the information supplied and we may be in contact more soon..

I'm a Paramedic and will be working out of the Mackay Region and my wife a Teacher (chalkie) yet to start applying due to the registration of teachers process. Speak and see you all soon (maybe)

Ian, Becky and Freddie our almost 3 year old boy and Reggie the Springer spaniel dog.:jiggy::smile:

Guest lala28

Hi Radders

We are moving there in 2 weeks!! We leave on 22nd June, spend 4 nights in brisbane then arrive in mackay on 27th :biggrin:

Laura, Trev, Matt 16, Chris 10

Guest radders

Hi Laura, Trev, Matt, Chris.

Exciting! We are both pretty nervous and well excited! Hows all the plans going for you? 2 weeks!! Excellent. We have a few issues with house sale which we may have to rent! lots to organise..... Hope all is good and you are all more or less prepared?

Be good to keep in touch and assist each other maybe?

Cheers

Ian, Becky and Freddie

Guest lala28
Hi Laura, Trev, Matt, Chris.

Exciting! We are both pretty nervous and well excited! Hows all the plans going for you? 2 weeks!! Excellent. We have a few issues with house sale which we may have to rent! lots to organise..... Hope all is good and you are all more or less prepared?

Be good to keep in touch and assist each other maybe?

Cheers

Ian, Becky and Freddie

We also had trouble selling and have had to rent. More or less sorted now just last minute stresses such as selling cars & cancelling direct debs ect. Oh and saying goodbye lol. That's not easy.:cry:

Yes of course we will keep in touch. You can add me if you are on facebook. Look for Laura (Lisle) Adams - blonde hair/shades on.

We are the same. Excited but nervous at times. Just to be expected as it's a huge move but im sure we will all help each other out & will be loving the laid back lifestyle in no time :biggrin:

Laura :jiggy:

Guest radders

I will add you on facebook. (Ian Radford - picture of my soon in a blue top sticking his tongue out) Good luck with everything else. Chat or email soon.

Cheers

Hi guys

Its been a few weeks since I posted but woooohoooo we are here in Mackay :jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy:

Looks like we have loads of newbies on the thread - brilliant and welcome to the Mackay gang :biggrin:

Would love to chat with you all so give me a shout !

Guest lala28

Ang make sure you keep me updated mind lol :jiggy::jiggy::jiggy:

Cu son woohoooooo :biggrin: xx

Hi Radders,

Good to meet you both. We are hopfully coming to Mackay with our two little girls, in September. Hoping to catch up with everyone on here when we get there. Theyve all been very supportive and im sure you'l get lots of help!

Kate and Stephen

Guest MissBehaving

Hi Radders

We are off in August/September (depending on the sale of our house) and have gone through many emotions. At the moment the emotion is ---- Hurry up!! I am fed up with living in Limbo!!!!!!

Told work this week so that is a weight of the shoulders and had an offer on the house today (which we havent accepted unless they increase their offer) so things are moving for us....:wink:

Guest ANDREA WRIGHT

hi Jeallybeagle,, missbehaving and Radders.....

CONGRATS missbehaving!!! that's excellent news!!!! the ball is now rolling...

I'm so excited and a tinsy bit jealous too.... I still feel a million miles away from Mackay where as last week, I felt a million miles closer...

We just had the property surveyor round..... ugh!!! TWO WEEKS??? apparently it takes up to 2 weeks to find the out come.... Like there isn't enough to feel sick about LOL

So how is Mackay??? is it gorgeous? are you loving it???

Let us know when you land radders :o)

xx

Hi Slainte, am Gary from Glasgow,a young 37 at heart(lol),i am a carpenter/joiner,am hoping to move permanently to Queensland (Brisbane area but Mackay sounds really good),hoping to sell up here and move towards end of year.A widnae mind keeping in touch for any advice would be appreciated just like off Bobj.Ive been told i could get fast tracked on a 176/1 visa(hopefully) i am also coming over myself so a few pints could be on the cards lol ,cheers mate in advance,Gary

Hi Gary, Just a quick question. Do you have a joiner/carpenter job lined up in Mackay? Or had any leads in that area (where there are more than one job lol!) Just I have a friend looking for that kind of work. Thanks! :biggrin:

Guest GaryM05

Hi there,i havent got any job lined up yet but there is a lot of rebuilding and expanding in the area so ive been led to believe(hope so)but am no fussy where i work(bar the uk)i am even thinking of up at the mines.I am waiting to sell up and then get over there ASAP.If you hear of anything feel free to message me,thanks,Gary

Guest GaryM05

Hi again, i think it is quite hard to get a job when your stuck in the UK without sponsorship but this site is great for contacts and info,cheers again,Gary

Hi Radders

Well we finally got here - landed a week today and life is good :biggrin:

Cant wait for our dogs to clear quarantine in Sydney - 25 days and counting.....

Give us a shout when you land - quite a few of the Mackay gang are on Facebook if you want to hook up - look for Angela Webster and a pic of a sleepy beagle :wink:

hi Jeallybeagle,, missbehaving and Radders.....

CONGRATS missbehaving!!! that's excellent news!!!! the ball is now rolling...

I'm so excited and a tinsy bit jealous too.... I still feel a million miles away from Mackay where as last week, I felt a million miles closer...

We just had the property surveyor round..... ugh!!! TWO WEEKS??? apparently it takes up to 2 weeks to find the out come.... Like there isn't enough to feel sick about LOL

So how is Mackay??? is it gorgeous? are you loving it???

Let us know when you land radders :o)

xx

Hi Andrea

Great to meet another Mackay gang member :biggrin:

Mackay is lovely - we have been here a week now - it is very laid back and the people are really friendly wherever you go. The food shops are quite pricey but excellent quality and loads of choice - hard to believe we are all the way down here as a lot of things are familiar :cute: they drive on the same side, products in the supermarket but also a lot nicer, the UK how it used to be when people spoke to each other and smiled :cute:

We have all hooked up on facebook and meet up here to help each other out so a great community spirit - if you want to look for me Angela Webster and a pic of a sleepy beagle !

Hi Radders,

Good to meet you both. We are hopfully coming to Mackay with our two little girls, in September. Hoping to catch up with everyone on here when we get there. Theyve all been very supportive and im sure you'l get lots of help!

Kate and Stephen

Hey Kate

Wont be long now - keep in touch :wink:

Angela x

Hi there,i havent got any job lined up yet but there is a lot of rebuilding and expanding in the area so ive been led to believe(hope so)but am no fussy where i work(bar the uk)i am even thinking of up at the mines.I am waiting to sell up and then get over there ASAP.If you hear of anything feel free to message me,thanks,Gary

Hi Gary

We have been here a week and there is definately a lot of expansion going on here - check out the recruitment agencies in the area as they are crying out for good quality tradesman here. What work are you specifically looking for - pm me and i can look for jobs in the Daily mercury for you :wink:

Hi Gary

We have been here a week and there is definately a lot of expansion going on here - check out the recruitment agencies in the area as they are crying out for good quality tradesman here. What work are you specifically looking for - pm me and i can look for jobs in the Daily mercury for you :wink:

Angela, If you do see any places that are looking for more than one joiner/carpenter/kitchen fitters etc, as my friend and her family are moving out in January (not sure what part of Oz yet) just wherever her husband can get work. She has visa set up as she already has a passport from growing up there, so sponsorship isnt a problem. Just if you notice any, im sure ur very busy still getting settled yourself.:wubclub: Kate xx

Guest piper84

Hey Angela :biggrin: Congrats on making it to Mackay :jiggy::jiggy::jiggy: Very very jealous lol, hopefully we will be over in a few weeks. Hope the beagles are doing ok in quarantine :smile:

Still no sign of our visa to come through yet, the waiting is a nightmare!

Hope everyone else is well, Any word from Slainte yet since he landed? Hopefully he is getting on well :smile:

Guest pomsinnz

Hi Angela,

Glad you are settling in,was it hard to get a rental with your dogs? I see a lot say no pets especially newer places. Coming from NZ luckily Fergus won't have to go in quarantine! OH will be arriving on 24th so he might need some contacts etc.

Also does anyone have personal expriences with the Mackay Highs schools would be good to get some feedback, have looked online and you only get an idea?

Thanks Julia

Archived