Whos going to Mackay

Still-a-dream!

Guest piper84

Hi Misbehaving, will keep fingers crossed for you that the house sells soon :smile:

Andrea, yes my husband got a job through a recruitment agency here in Ireland :smile: There seems to be a damn sight more opportunities over there than in this side of the world at the moment which is encouraging :biggrin::cool:

Not looking forward though to a long haul flight with two toddlers :eek:

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lala28

Hi Andrea and anyone one else that's new :biggrin:welcome to the 'moving to Mackay gang lol'. I'm Laura and we are moving to Mackay in 3 weeks with hubby, Matt 16 & chris 10. We are going to the blacks beach area.

It's lovely that there so many people going :biggrin: Good luck with everything!!

We have ended up renting our house as we couldnt sell it and had to book flights etc because hubby has a job to go to. We have decided to rent it for 2 years and reassess where we are after that. On the plus side the housing market may have picked up a bit as well.

Beach parrty sounds fab :jiggy:

Laura

Guest piper84

Hi Laura :biggrin:

Wow 3 weeks! Its coming around quick now! We are just waiting on visas now, hoping they will come through quick so we can be there for the end of June :smile:

Guest lala28

We will prob get there at the same time lol. We are having a few days in brisbane so dont get to mackay until 27th June. Will be lovely to meet up once there and settled.:biggrin:

Guest MissBehaving

Hi Andrea

That is exactly what we have done - we went into the estate agents this morning and asked them to change the price from a fixed price to an 'offers over' price.

Cross fingers we will get more viewings now!!

Hey Andrea, I live one street away from Boom and can see their high lift cranes as I type.

just thought you'd like to know :-)

As a word of encouragement, a friend just moved over who's been an excavator operator in the UK for 6 years (was in Perth before that), No Aus qualifications but he pretty much walked into a mine-site job with Leightons straight away who will give him his coal operating tickets.

it's great to see success stories.

Hi Missbehaving,

I feel your pain, we had our house on the market since last October and it's been grueling... very few viewers out there. We ended up going with Express estate Agency who operate on a sole agency for 12 weeks basis. There price you house very low and ask for 'offer in excess'. I believe it's a scottish system they use. I sounds scary (when they recommended we price 30k below our asking price) but it works.. They boast a selling rate of around 94% of the market value ans a sale within 28 days... It didn't quite happen that way with us as the couple who are buying our house, knocked on our door and made and offer (....it grieves me that I still have to pay the 3k fee but hey! at least we've sold now)

If things get desperate, they're worth considering.. (we wanted 125k and got 120k) It depends if you're prepared to take a hit.

Good Luck!!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, limbo is a horrid place, then the smack in the face when you do finally sell... it took 4 days for my nerves and sickness to subside before I could start getting excited LOL.

Piper84,

my hubby is a crane driver/operator. He hasn't got a job sorted yet but we have had an encouraging e-mail from Boom Logistics and friends we have already out there are showing that the construction industry can't get enough crane operators at the minute... which is very VERY encouraging.

Has your hubby landed work already? diesel fitters always go down well I hear... has he got a mining gig?

BEACH PARTAAAYYYYY!!!! it's on lol :yellow_guy_crazy_ty

Hi Andrea!, nice to meet you, thats great news youve sold your house. We have ours - like a weight around our necks. Have been on market for a year and a half now - just HOPING :huh: it will rent out ok.

Hopefully your hubby will land a jobs soon, im sure he will in Mackay, seems like the place to be at the minute!

My OH is s diesel fitter and we are going with our 2 little girls aged 1 and half and 3 and half. We are hoping on September, but we dont have anything set in stone yet so just keeping our fingers crossed. But count us in those beach parties too. Its lovely that some of the girls that met on here have already met up.

Take care xx

Hey Still A Dream, both Sharps Heavy and Haynes Mechanical are recruiting fitters right now.

Can I suggest you seriously consider a labour hire company first? there's such a difference in sites in their culture, facilities and the way they operate that it would be a drag if your OH ended up on a site that has a crap workshop and the SSE tries to get in their way the whole time. If you're labour hire (or one of the main contractors like CAT or Detroit) you'll get to go around all the sites and figure out which ones have the culture that best ties in with your own, then target them for long-term employment.

It's what the OH did; he went from being a diesel fuel injection technician to doing site labour hire, then was with Detroit for 5 years before deciding that Hail Creek was the site he really wanted to be at. In the meantime he was offered a position with Xstrata and Downer, but was told when he enquired further that they didn't have a teaching culture at either site and would pretty much be on his own (in a really rubbish workshop when he had a poke around during the interview). Anyway, he's been with Rio Tinto for a couple of years now and still really likes the site.

Some sites won't drive you in and out, other will provide transport. Some sites let you knuckle down and get on with it, others have a "fill in these thousands of forms before you even think about it" mentality. Some sites are 5 hours drive away, others are just over an hour. Once you've spent a year or two doing the rounds you know which the lush ones are.

(sorry if this is teaching you to suck eggs, can't remember if this stuff has come up before)

Guest Slainte
Hi Slainte, am Gary from Glasgow,a young 37 at heart(lol),i am a carpenter/joiner,am hoping to move permanently to Queensland (Brisbane area but Mackay sounds really good),hoping to sell up here and move towards end of year.A widnae mind keeping in touch for any advice would be appreciated just like off Bobj.Ive been told i could get fast tracked on a 176/1 visa(hopefully) i am also coming over myself so a few pints could be on the cards lol ,cheers mate in advance,Gary

No prob Gary - you can send me a PM whenever you want and I'll help you out at best I can. I will be on a plane in 48 hours and still have not sorted out a place to say! As well as feeling a bit nervous, it's a big step and I hope I am doing the right thing! :twitcy:

Guest MissBehaving
I will be on a plane in 48 hours

Wow, I can't beleive your about to go Slainte! .... Good luck hon, and hopefully we will catch up down under. Remember though - what is meant to be - will be! :yes:

Guest lala28
No prob Gary - you can send me a PM whenever you want and I'll help you out at best I can. I will be on a plane in 48 hours and still have not sorted out a place to say! As well as feeling a bit nervous, it's a big step and I hope I am doing the right thing! :twitcy:

Good luck Slainte. I'm sure all will work out for you and we'll no doubt catch up in a few weeks :jiggy:

Lala

Guest Dublingirl

Slainte wish you all the best on your adventure, hope all goes well and I'm sure we will see ye soon enough as our visa's just came through so Paul flying out first on 29th just booking flights now.

Laura have you enrolled your boys into a school over there yet??

Piper hope girls are well, did ye have any luck with the temp accommodation? Still waitin on reply from Ocean resort and premier campsite:arghh:

Guest Slainte

Thnks guys for all the good wishes. My flight from Abu Dhabi to Brissie takes 17 hours (Dublin to AD is 7. 5 hours and a 3 hour stop over) so I have already raided my mum's medicine cabinet!! :biglaugh: (only joking, I stocked up on the sleeping pills a good week ago! :arghh:). I may have good news for those looking for short term accommodation when you arrive - I have found a place that is only $65 per night. I can only assume it an absolute hovel as the next cheapest was $110 but if any of you are loomking for cheap and cheerful when you arrive, then I may be able to help. I'll check out the place first as I don't want to recommend any place that is an absolute cess pit. So the countdown has begun - 22 hours left to go... :wacko:

Guest siamsusie

Hi Slainte,

Just popping in to wish you a very safe travel!

Looking forward to your "arrival post" !

Susie x

Hey Still A Dream, both Sharps Heavy and Haynes Mechanical are recruiting fitters right now.

(sorry if this is teaching you to suck eggs, can't remember if this stuff has come up before)

Hi EEra, no not at all, thats great help, and very informative, I will be showing the OH it, thanks :biggrin:

However, we are currently going through recruitment with a company representing CAT. We are just keeping our fingers crossed for it all, as he hasnt had a formal interview yet - but they are trying to get the timing of that right, as we arent actually able to travel until mid September time. All the visa stuff has gone off ahead of the interview.

But thankyou for those company names. And if we dont get to use them they may be of use to someone else who looks at this thread for Mackay or work.

:wubclub::cute:

Thnks guys for all the good wishes. My flight from Abu Dhabi to Brissie takes 17 hours (Dublin to AD is 7. 5 hours and a 3 hour stop over) so I have already raided my mum's medicine cabinet!! :biglaugh: (only joking, I stocked up on the sleeping pills a good week ago! :arghh:). I may have good news for those looking for short term accommodation when you arrive - I have found a place that is only $65 per night. I can only assume it an absolute hovel as the next cheapest was $110 but if any of you are loomking for cheap and cheerful when you arrive, then I may be able to help. I'll check out the place first as I don't want to recommend any place that is an absolute cess pit. So the countdown has begun - 22 hours left to go... :wacko:

Slainte Goodluck and bestwishes! Enjoy finding your feet and having a good look around. Let us know how its going when you get chance! :wubclub:

Guest lala28
Slainte wish you all the best on your adventure, hope all goes well and I'm sure we will see ye soon enough as our visa's just came through so Paul flying out first on 29th just booking flights now.

Laura have you enrolled your boys into a school over there yet??

Piper hope girls are well, did ye have any luck with the temp accommodation? Still waitin on reply from Ocean resort and premier campsite:arghh:

Hi Dublingirl.

Yes I emailed the school and they have said it is no problem to enrol :jiggy:

Let me know how you get on. When do you think you will be flying out?

Lala

Guest MissBehaving
Hi Dublingirl.

Lala

Hi Lala

Which school are you looking at and what years will your little ones be in?

I emailed Eimeo Road Primary yesterday and the headteacher sent a lovely email back. Hopefully we can get DD started in October.

Guest ANDREA WRIGHT

Ok, so thanks to every-one who's responded, this is proving to be the most useful thread to me to date.... YIP YIP !! :D

So while we're currently on the subject of schooling, my eldest is 4 and would be starting school this coming september in the UK... I heard that the kiddies go to school a year later in Oz... she'll be 5 this December.

MissBehaving... that GREAT you got a lovely email back, Eimeo school was one of the one's I was considering for my 2, I hear it's really great school.... Good luck with that :o)

Guest lala28

Hi Miss behaving & Andrea. I think you are right about the school age but the school year in oz starts in January so your little one would start then Andrea. Miss B my youngest is 10 and will be going to Eimeo State school (think same one you emailed). Its a fab school and he loved it last time he was there. :biggrin:

Lala

Guest Dublingirl
Hi Dublingirl.

Lala

Paul will arrive in Mackay Thurs 30th June and we hoping to arrive Thurs 25th Aug. My daughter is 14 so emailed one school which were really nice but think it too far from Blacks Beach as that location we lookin 4 house.:jiggy: Now that Paul's flight is booked I'm sooo excited ...not long now:biggrin:

Trisha

Guest lala28
Paul will arrive in Mackay Thurs 30th June and we hoping to arrive Thurs 25th Aug. My daughter is 14 so emailed one school which were really nice but think it too far from Blacks Beach as that location we lookin 4 house.:jiggy: Now that Paul's flight is booked I'm sooo excited ...not long now:biggrin:

Trisha

My middle son matt is 16 & we are also going to be at blacks beach so hopefully they will become friends. How does you daughter feel about going? Matt isnt to impressed lol :jiggy:

Guest Dublingirl
My middle son matt is 16 & we are also going to be at blacks beach so hopefully they will become friends. How does you daughter feel about going? Matt isnt to impressed lol :jiggy:

Thought she would be devastated leavin all pals behind but she is so lookin 4ward to the sun and beach:biglaugh: Yeah be great if she had someone else around same age would definitely make things easier

Guest pomsinnz

Hi, all going to Mackay I have been reading this thread for a while now.We have been living in NZ for the last 21 years originally from Bristol and now heading to Oz, my OH is going at the end of June and my youngest daughter 15 myself and Fergus the labradoodle, at begining of Dec. when my daughter finishes her exams for year 11[which is year 10 in Oz]

so she will do last 2 years in Mackay.

We went for a visit in Jan so managed to have a bit of a look around and probably will be renting in the Northern Beaches area, we may try to visit to look at schools in Aug/Sept as of course they were closed in Jan.

I know what you guys have been through, having done it,not sure it makes it any easier doing it when we are older!! We will be leaving our older children who are at uni but for them its only a 3 hr flight away for a holiday,and renting out our house. Anyway it will be nice to have some contacts when we get there.

Regards Julia

Archived