Whos going to Mackay

Still-a-dream!

Guest ANDREA WRIGHT

Welcome pomsinnz

Arrival in December??? Bang in the middle of the hot sticky wet season... You're SOOOO much braver than me (but then, I would be coming from a Brit winter so the change would be rather more drastic!!)

The I read this thread, the more I want to call Mackay 'little Britain', I can't believe how many Brit go there and how many are already there lol.

I wanted to ask if anyone knew about kindy groups. Both my girls are at pre school now and I now know that Maya will start school next Jan (thanks lala :) ) but I'd still like them to get into the swing of it asap. Form new friendships while theyre still together. It's any parents worry I guess, both my girls are pretty confident but I don't want to underestimate the impact the move will have. My youngest is excited to go but still say "and when we come back from Australia". She's too young to understand permanence.

So is there a pre-school system there like here??

Thanks guys. :o)

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome pomsinnz

Arrival in December??? Bang in the middle of the hot sticky wet season... You're SOOOO much braver than me (but then, I would be coming from a Brit winter so the change would be rather more drastic!!)

The I read this thread, the more I want to call Mackay 'little Britain', I can't believe how many Brit go there and how many are already there lol.

I wanted to ask if anyone knew about kindy groups. Both my girls are at pre school now and I now know that Maya will start school next Jan (thanks lala :) ) but I'd still like them to get into the swing of it asap. Form new friendships while theyre still together. It's any parents worry I guess, both my girls are pretty confident but I don't want to underestimate the impact the move will have. My youngest is excited to go but still say "and when we come back from Australia". She's too young to understand permanence.

So is there a pre-school system there like here??

Thanks guys. :o)

Hiya, I worked out my eldest - who turns 4 at the end of this month, will start school in Jan too. Shes at Nursery here at the minute. But I will be needing toddler groups for my other little one, whos 2 in July. So We will be there for you - hopefully September! My eldest keeps saying, 'when we go on holiday to Australia' :cute:

Ooralea is in development. They have plans to put in a supermarket and some other stuff but I don't know at what stage. South of the river I recommend West mackay; older, more established houses on bigger blocks. The trouble with the new estates is that the garden is bare grass and there's still construction traffic going through. there's also a big Bi-Low apparently going in West mackay fourways area and you're close to the botanic gardens

Guest piper84

Hi Still-A-Dream,

I've found a few toddler groups , here is a link

[http://www.playgroupaustralia.com.au/qld/index.cfm?objectid=F28165A8-A2B1-24E3-4FAA7A6B4725C8CB

My two are 20 months at the minute so will be quite a while before I need to think of schools :cute:

Hi Andrea,

found this link for preschools, hope it helps :smile:

http://www.careforkids.com.au/search/ccresults.asp?areaID=291&ctype=5

Hi pomsinnz, welcome :smile: How did you find Mackay when you visited?

Still waiting to hear back from the visas here, only officially lodged application a few days ago and the wait is killing me already lol, mad to start packing and get going :yes::twitcy:

Guest lala28
Hi, all going to Mackay I have been reading this thread for a while now.We have been living in NZ for the last 21 years originally from Bristol and now heading to Oz, my OH is going at the end of June and my youngest daughter 15 myself and Fergus the labradoodle, at begining of Dec. when my daughter finishes her exams for year 11[which is year 10 in Oz]

so she will do last 2 years in Mackay.

We went for a visit in Jan so managed to have a bit of a look around and probably will be renting in the Northern Beaches area, we may try to visit to look at schools in Aug/Sept as of course they were closed in Jan.

I know what you guys have been through, having done it,not sure it makes it any easier doing it when we are older!! We will be leaving our older children who are at uni but for them its only a 3 hr flight away for a holiday,and renting out our house. Anyway it will be nice to have some contacts when we get there.

Regards Julia

Hi and welcome. Always nice to meet new ppl making the move. We almost moved to Greymouth a few years ago but by then my OH had already been offered a job in oz! Our dream is to go skiing in NZ though :jiggy:

My son is 16 and just finishing his exams here. He REALLY doesnt want to go to school in oz so we have said he can do college or a job.

If anyone wants to add me look for Laura (Lisle) Adams on Facebook. Let me know though because I dont accept randoms. Just message me on here or FB. :jiggy:

Regards

Laura

Guest ANDREA WRIGHT

Hi Andrea,

found this link for preschools, hope it helps :smile:

http://www.careforkids.com.au/search/ccresults.asp?areaID=291&ctype=5

Hi pomsinnz, welcome :smile: How did you find Mackay when you visited?

Still waiting to hear back from the visas here, only officially lodged application a few days ago and the wait is killing me already lol, mad to start packing and get going :yes::twitcy:

Thanks for that info, i have e-mailed the only one with a vacancy LOL luckily in the area we want to be so fingers crossed.

Good luck with your visa..... nail biting time! :arghh:I haven't submitted mine yet, still a few bits to fill out then it's a trip to London with the hubster!! :smile:

Guest MissBehaving

Hi Lala and Andrea

I have added you both to Facebook ... Piper, I can't find you -- there are three of you with the same name!

Please don't be offended if I don't mention Australia on facebook - my work colleagues do not know I am going yet and so I am keeping quite.

PomsinNZ - welcome :) ..,. there are so many of us going from the UK. I just hope that we do manage to get together on the other side....

We have another viewing on our house on Saturday so we are crossing fingers! We dropped the price so hopefully it will be more attractive to buyers....

Guest lala28
Do you think we will be able to get Pimms in Mackay?!?

Hahaha:biglaugh: Im sure you can but I will let you know when we get there lol. Good luck with the house :biggrin:. If it all goes well when do you expect to go?

Laura

Guest MissBehaving

Lala... OH has to be there by October the latest - so if the house sells soon we will go end of August/September....

Guest lala28
Lala... OH has to be there by October the latest - so if the house sells soon we will go end of August/September....

Oooh not long then!! I cant believe we go 2 weeks on Tue to manchester ready to fly early next morning :)

How old are the kids?:cute:

Guest ANDREA WRIGHT
Do you think we will be able to get Pimms in Mackay?!?

:laugh::laugh:

There had better be. I'm fresh back from a PIMMS evening with girlie friends.. I have a friend in Mackay who is starting her own little cafe/bistro on the esplanade in Bucasia called Jivoli. She hopes to import and sell all manner of Englishness there :biggrin:. Maybe I will request PIMMS be on that list...

Guest lala28
:laugh::laugh:

There had better be. I'm fresh back from a PIMMS evening with girlie friends.. I have a friend in Mackay who is starting her own little cafe/bistro on the esplanade in Bucasia called Jivoli. She hopes to import and sell all manner of Englishness there :biggrin:. Maybe I will request PIMMS be on that list...

Ooo sounds good. Is it just alcohol she's selling?

Guest pomsinnz

Hi all

Cant remember who asked but we enjoyed our short holiday in Jan we also went to the Gold coast too, of course it was super hot and humid and a rainy so we spent a lot of time in the pool, but quite good to see what its like in wet season,but loved the area around Mackay,Airlie Beach,Eungalla which was a bit like NZ Bush.We had a look at the shops of course and there is pretty much everything you need and lots more development too.

Guest ANDREA WRIGHT
Ooo sounds good. Is it just alcohol she's selling?

oooooh! no, she'll be selling baked potato's from her English potato baking oven (that we're currently storing for her lol) I also heard a little rumour that she'll be selling proper, pukka english Cadbury's chocolate (not the heat proof stuff they're forced to eat out there..)

It's still in the throws of development right now, but I'll let you all know when it opens :o)

Guest ANDREA WRIGHT

thought this might prove useful...Especially to those (like me) who are hankering after the Blacks Beach area...

[ATTACH]3196[/ATTACH]

:hug:

Take that with a pinch of salt; it's got my area at being high risk of storm surge and it's around 30m up a hill :-). The council website has THE best GIS database called MiMaps on it, you can call up all the countours and overlay them with innundation data or steep slope overlay for a specific street or area - I use it virtually every day for risk assessment purposes (or just lookng at the aerial photos trying to see my friends' houses).

Is your mate taking orders? Toffee crisps, double deckers and pickled onion monster much...

Take that with a pinch of salt; it's got my area at being high risk of storm surge and it's around 30m up a hill :-). The council website has THE best GIS database called MiMaps on it, you can call up all the countours and overlay them with innundation data or steep slope overlay for a specific street or area - I use it virtually every day for risk assessment purposes (or just lookng at the aerial photos trying to see my friends' houses).

Is your mate taking orders? Toffee crisps, double deckers and pickled onion monster much...

Good tip, thanks. :cute::yes:

Guest ANDREA WRIGHT

Thanks Eera,

Is it possible you could share the link please? I've googled it and plenty of pages came up, but I'm struggling to find the right map (it's taken me almost 4 months to find the PDF I posted LOL)

As for your request of double deckers, toffee crisps and PICKLED ONION MONSTER MUNCH:tongue: (I just went a homer for that) I shall ask the question, I think PG Tips will be a must though :smile:

Guest MissBehaving

Are we allowed to bring over any in our suitcase's? If so, I can shove some of them in there for you when we come over.

For the record... Double Deckers and Pickled Onion Monster Munch are the two things that I missed when I lived in South Africa... Made up for it now though!!!

Guest MissBehaving
I think PG Tips will be a must though :smile:

I like Twinnings Everyday tea... Bet we won't be able to get that out in Oz!! .... Ahh, but you can't get sunny sandy beaches in the UK - so I guess that is all weighed up!!:jiggy:

Missbehaving. If you do that for me I will love you forever and possibly volunteer to have your babies.

You can bring them over fine as long as you declare them to Customs. Whenever any of my friends go to the UK they always get a reminder "don't forget the toffee crisps"

Andrea, if you click on "land and property maps" the sidebar has the options, if you want to bring up the aerial photos with a 5m contour, for example, click the box next to "mackay Jun 09 aerial photographs", then click on the 5m contour box and the circle one that labels them, then "refresh maps". The other sets in there will bring up boundaries, easements, local facilities etc but does need a bit of playing to get used to it. Mackay Council won a nationwide award for this service which is the best in the country and absolutely free (they also have superb acid sulphate soils mapping too, but that's probably not too much of a concern unless you want to shift huge amounts of low-lying soil)

The application launches in a seperate window that doesn't have an URL attached to it so I don't think I can directly link to it. If you want specific information about anywhere in particular give me a hoy and I'll dig through the archives and try to find it for you.

Incidentally, does anyone else have issues with PiO constantly telling them "you do not have permission to use that function" and having to refresh the page and re-log in every time they post?

Guest MissBehaving

Incidentally, does anyone else have issues with PiO constantly telling them "you do not ave permission to use that function" and having to refresh the page and re-log in every time they post?

Nope - I dont have that problem. I just have the problem of a computer that is to slow for its own good so is heading to the 'computer parts' heaven when we leave here..... :arghh:

Archived