Whos going to Mackay

Still-a-dream!

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Joshkat

Hi all, well nearly finished packing the house.At mums for a week then here we come.Fly out next saturday.hired motorhome for 8 days then Mackay. Though we have'nt got any where to stay yet.

Guest MissBehaving
Hi all, well nearly finished packing the house.At mums for a week then here we come.Fly out next saturday.hired motorhome for 8 days then Mackay. Though we have'nt got any where to stay yet.

Ahh, a motorhome! That sounds like a good idea for short term accomodation...

Good luck Josh... see you on the otherside :v_SPIN:

Guest Joshkat

Thankyou MissBehaving. Great to hear you got your visas, goodluck on the sale of your house,see you there soon

Guest Dublingirl
Ahh, a motorhome! That sounds like a good idea for short term accomodation...

Good luck Josh... see you on the otherside :v_SPIN:

All sounds so exciting, cant imagine what it must be like packing to go:rolleyes: hope you have lovely flight and let us know how you get on over there.

Guest MissBehaving
Sparrers this morning 50 km NW of Mackay.

And 8 deg C...:arghh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Errrmmm at the risk of sounding stupid ... what is 'Sparrers'? :unsure:

Guest MissBehaving
All sounds so exciting, cant imagine what it must be like packing to go:rolleyes: hope you have lovely flight and let us know how you get on over there.

Hey Dublin

We aren't packing yet - still waiting for the house to be sold and the visa to come through. We are looking at October'ish to go....

:biggrin:

Guest lala28

Hi guys

Been busy so sorry if i've missed anything :biggrin: My furniture is now on its way to Mackay!!:jiggy:40 days to go!!!!! :jiggy:

Lala

Guest Dublingirl

Hey all need to provide a copy of our travel Insurance for our family which covers getting there and for initial period of at least 3 months after arrival until we can register with MEDICARE in Australia. Medicare is similar to your NHS I believe so just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or might have taken out travel insurance that they found to be good and if anyone knows how this medicare works for Irish & English :confused:- there must be a waiting period of 3 months??

Guest lala28

Hi Dublin girl.

As far as I know it is pretty straight forward getting medicare. We got it within a few days last time, maybe the 3 month period is just extra precautionary??

We also had to get the same cover and I just went on a compare website and chose the one that best suited us. It cost approx £68.

Laura:smile:

Guest Slainte

Hi Guys,

I am landing in Mackay on the 2nd of June. it's been really great to read this thread. It has put my mind at ease about most things but accommodation still seems to be a challenge. Hope to meet some if not all of you very soon!

Leonard

Guest MissBehaving

Welcome Slainte - there are a good few of us heading that way in the next 6 months or so. We are going to get together so keep in touch.

Where are you going to be working?

Is it just you going or are you off with your family??

Guest Slainte
Welcome Slainte - there are a good few of us heading that way in the next 6 months or so. We are going to get together so keep in touch.

Where are you going to be working?

Is it just you going or are you off with your family??

Hi MissBehaving,

Thanks a million. I'll be working right in the CBD on Wood Street. I'm a solicitor and will be working with a law firm there. Don't worry, I'm not like most lawyers, honest... :smile:

I'm moving on my own. I have a GF here in Ireland but it looks like she won't be moving with me, not in the short term anyway. So it's me and my 2 bags and Mackay. I have backpacked around Australia for a year on my own before so the whole idea of going alone doesn't daunt me - that said I would prefer to have someone else with me.

I'll obviiously help all of you as best I can when you all do come out. I'm off in 2 weeks!!! :wacko:

Guest piper84

Hi everyone :biggrin:

Sorry have been awol there for a few days :elvis: Have had a house full of sick toddlers :eek: nothing to serious, but glad to have peace restored and no more buggery noses!

How are we all getting on with our moving plans? I've started sorting through the house to decide what to bring with us straight away and what to leave behind for now, great fun hehehe

Lala - very exciting that your furniture is now en route!

Guest Dublingirl
Hi Dublin girl.

As far as I know it is pretty straight forward getting medicare. We got it within a few days last time, maybe the 3 month period is just extra precautionary??

We also had to get the same cover and I just went on a compare website and chose the one that best suited us. It cost approx £68.

Laura:smile:

Hi lala have compared a few and 2adults 2children workin out just over 400euro but will keep looking for something cheaper. :wideeyed:

Hopefully after I provide this we will get visas but they haven't asked for Garda clearance or medical Certs yet that will prob be next . Tnx

Guest Dublingirl

Hey Leonard accommodation definitely not easy especially short term as we were hoping 2 rent short term until we found nice Area with schools etc..got list of places which put up couple pages back might be a help:smile: maybe that could b new business venture 4 us all providing reasonably priced S/T accom :wub:

Guest Slainte
Hi lala have compared a few and 2adults 2children workin out just over 400euro but will keep looking for something cheaper. :wideeyed:

Hopefully after I provide this we will get visas but they haven't asked for Garda clearance or medical Certs yet that will prob be next . Tnx

Hi Dublingirl,

I am Irish too -this should be of help to you (we are entitled to a fairly wide and free ranging healthcare, all that needs to be done is to produce your passport):

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/ireland-nz.jsp

Guest Slainte
Hey Leonard accommodation definitely not easy especially short term as we were hoping 2 rent short term until we found nice Area with schools etc..got list of places which put up couple pages back might be a help:smile: maybe that could b new business venture 4 us all providing reasonably priced S/T accom :wub:

Dublingirl,

As I will be on my own, I am fairly open as regards where I will live - price is the most important criterion for me. The two most useful websites I have come across so far have been:

http://www.homehound.com.au/rent/apartments/qld/mackay/

http://www.hughreilly.com.au

I have learned from previous experience that you have to view these places as photos can be quite deceptive. To get anywhere kinda decent, you're looking at at least $300/wk minimum. I'm lucky as a 1 bed will suffice for me. I would hope to get a motel or whatever for a few days when I arrive, make a few calls and then view 4 0r 5 places say 2, 3 days after I arrive and take one of them. Will it be that easy?!

Guest MissBehaving

Always nice to have a lawyer as friend - can't ever be short of those!! That and plumbers and electricians of course!! :wink:

My OH, DD and I are moving over in August/September/October - basically when our house sells and the visa is through.

I am pulling my hair out at the thought of not finding anywhere half decent to stay whilst our furniture comes over and the hassle of not having a car isnt helping matters either.

I didnt realise that I had become such a worry wart.

Piper I hope your kids are better! Nothing worse than having a poorly family!

We have had to commit to private health insurance with OH company so that he got his visa. Pain in the arrrrrrrrze but hey ho... !

First removal company dude is coming tomorrow - lets see what he comes up with price wise.

:spinny:

Archived