Whos going to Mackay

Still-a-dream!

Guest Slainte

Believe me Miss, a sparkie and a plumber are far more useful than ever knowing a lawyer! You're lucky that you're not trying to sell a house in Ireland as it is almost impossible to do so with the crash that has happened here.

I have heard that it is worth buying your car in Brisbane - if so I'd fly down on a weekend and drive it back to Mackay. Any thoughts - Brisbane or Mackay for a car?

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest piper84

Hi Slainte :biggrin: Another Irish here :wink: We are hoping to be over there by end of July/early August, My husband has said the same thing regarding cars, flying to brisbane , buying and driving back definitely seems to be the thing to do and a nice road trip too I am sure :smile:

Thanks Misbehaving, girls are much better now :smile: we got a few quotes today for shipping the furniture :swoon:

Hopefully this guy tomorrow will have a nice price for you :biggrin:

Hi Slainte :biggrin: Another Irish here :wink: We are hoping to be over there by end of July/early August, My husband has said the same thing regarding cars, flying to brisbane , buying and driving back definitely seems to be the thing to do and a nice road trip too I am sure :smile:

Thanks Misbehaving, girls are much better now :smile: we got a few quotes today for shipping the furniture :swoon:

Hopefully this guy tomorrow will have a nice price for you :biggrin:

About 9

950 km...roughly 600 miles=11 hours drive.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Slainte

Hi Bobj,

Good to hear from you again and thanks for all the PMs. I'm sure I'll be picking your brain soon again! 11 hours - piece of cake!

Hello guys, good to hear you are all cracking on with your travels and have dates in sight!

Hello to our newest member Slainte :cool:

Weve been away on hols as some of you know so thats why weve been quiet. Fingers crossed for some sort of finalisation in our plans, and my partners job. Then we can actually start telling people ...eeek! x

Guest paul1986

Hi all, me and my family (wife and 2 boys 7 and 5) are hoping to come over to Mackay, should be around march next year. Have been given the opportunity of a job over there, the job sounds really really good, everything sounds really really good lol, was wondering if it was as good as it sounds over there?? Im dead set on going, always wanted to go over there, but everything at the moment just seems like its too good to be true! lol. We understand that everything is not going to be peachy, completely understand that, but was wondering whether or not it would be an improvement on our current life, for the kids mainly.

Are the schools any good??

What sort of wage would a family of 4 comfortably live on??

How hot can it get??

What are the chances of serious natural disasters?? (Wifes main worry!!!!!!!!!! lol)

If any one (im hoping theres a few that have) has done the move, would you recommend taking 'x' amount of money with you??

Is there a good 'social' life in Mackay. Obviously I would be working, but for the wife and kids, would they be OK?? they are all outgoing friendly people, are there many others like that?? lol.

So many questions haha!!! My main worry is, I pulled my wife and kids away from their home (after i moved up there to be with them for 2 1/2 years), on the promise that live would be great (LOL!!!) and it hasnt turned out like that! I just want to make sure that this time, it benefits us all!! :-) any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks again Paul and Family

Guest lala28

Hi Paul

Me & my family moved to Mackay 4 yrs ago but returned to the UK when a family member was diagnosed with terminal illness. We are going back next month as my hubby has a job in the mines.

I found everyone to be really helpful & friendly. The school that my kids went to was absolutely fab & I would reccomend it to anyone. Socially there's pbs bars etc but most people just go round to each others house for a barbie & beer :biggrin:

As for natural disasters lol I dont think anyone can really predict what will/can happen but I do know that the recent floods etc only happen once in a lifetime (so I read).

Housing is expensive to rent compared with the UK. Approx $450+ per week rent but you get more house for your money if you're buying :biggrin:

There are plenty activities to keep your wife & kids entertained as well. I think oz has a lot to offer.

Hope this helps a little.

Lala

Hi all, me and my family (wife and 2 boys 7 and 5) are hoping to come over to Mackay, should be around march next year. Have been given the opportunity of a job over there, the job sounds really really good, everything sounds really really good lol, was wondering if it was as good as it sounds over there?? Im dead set on going, always wanted to go over there, but everything at the moment just seems like its too good to be true! lol. We understand that everything is not going to be peachy, completely understand that, but was wondering whether or not it would be an improvement on our current life, for the kids mainly.

Are the schools any good??

What sort of wage would a family of 4 comfortably live on??

How hot can it get??

What are the chances of serious natural disasters?? (Wifes main worry!!!!!!!!!! lol)

If any one (im hoping theres a few that have) has done the move, would you recommend taking 'x' amount of money with you??

Is there a good 'social' life in Mackay. Obviously I would be working, but for the wife and kids, would they be OK?? they are all outgoing friendly people, are there many others like that?? lol.

So many questions haha!!! My main worry is, I pulled my wife and kids away from their home (after i moved up there to be with them for 2 1/2 years), on the promise that live would be great (LOL!!!) and it hasnt turned out like that! I just want to make sure that this time, it benefits us all!! :-) any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks again Paul and Family

G'day mate, I'll leave the schools to the others.

Comfortable wage...difficult to answer; so many factors, rent, mortgage lavish/frugal lifestyle etc.

Heat...Brilliant, rarely over 37C, rarely below 5C..except out in the Pioneer Valley.

Can be very muggy in The Wet, but the Dry is fabulous, 14C-23C average

Natural disasters; I reckon that there are more people killed in the UK winters than in the Australian cyclones each year...Now, that's sticking my neck out.:wink:

Social life: I'll leave that for the young people to answer.

Money; again, for the young people to answer.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest paul1986

Thanks you 2. Much apreciated. It sounds really good. Like i say, im really up for coming over. I think it would be a better life for my family and I. I know another bloke on here whos going over with the same job, which is always beneficial because that gives me a bit of a heads up!!! He recommended this site just to have a chat with people on here! Lol

Its good to know the schools are good lala thanks!! I want the kids to love it as much as im hoping to!!

The weather sounds brilliant as well bobj!! Missus will love the hotness!! (get a proper true tan! lol)

My minds made up and i really want to get over there, think we want to spend one more christmas over here, just to say 'see ya' and then i think coming over at the end of the ozzie summer, rather then in the middle of it would be better! so thinking around march time?? whats the weather like around this time??

Is there much in the way of shopping in Mackay?? I.e. food shops for the weekly shop, and also, clothes shops... etc.. for when you want to treat yourself!! lol.

Thanks again. Paul

Thanks you 2. Much apreciated. It sounds really good. Like i say, im really up for coming over. I think it would be a better life for my family and I. I know another bloke on here whos going over with the same job, which is always beneficial because that gives me a bit of a heads up!!! He recommended this site just to have a chat with people on here! Lol

Its good to know the schools are good lala thanks!! I want the kids to love it as much as im hoping to!!

The weather sounds brilliant as well bobj!! Missus will love the hotness!! (get a proper true tan! lol)

My minds made up and i really want to get over there, think we want to spend one more christmas over here, just to say 'see ya' and then i think coming over at the end of the ozzie summer, rather then in the middle of it would be better! so thinking around march time?? whats the weather like around this time??

Is there much in the way of shopping in Mackay?? I.e. food shops for the weekly shop, and also, clothes shops... etc.. for when you want to treat yourself!! lol.

Thanks again. Paul

Mate, look to April/May to arrive in Qld. March is the last portion of the cyclone season, still a few storms and lotsa rain.

Shopping;

http://www.canelandcentral.com.au/

http://au.totaltravel.yahoo.com/listing/543834/australia/qld/mackay/mackay/mount-pleasant-3/

http://www.localstore.com.au/store/27204/bi-lo/mackay/

Mackay is very sports oriented; plenty of first class facilities for virtually all sports...except for bog snorkelling. But we were looking to that during the last Wet.:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest GaryM05
Hi Bobj,

Good to hear from you again and thanks for all the PMs. I'm sure I'll be picking your brain soon again! 11 hours - piece of cake!

Hi Slainte, am Gary from Glasgow,a young 37 at heart(lol),i am a carpenter/joiner,am hoping to move permanently to Queensland (Brisbane area but Mackay sounds really good),hoping to sell up here and move towards end of year.A widnae mind keeping in touch for any advice would be appreciated just like off Bobj.Ive been told i could get fast tracked on a 176/1 visa(hopefully) i am also coming over myself so a few pints could be on the cards lol ,cheers mate in advance,Gary

Hi Slainte, am Gary from Glasgow,a young 37 at heart(lol),i am a carpenter/joiner,am hoping to move permanently to Queensland (Brisbane area but Mackay sounds really good),hoping to sell up here and move towards end of year.A widnae mind keeping in touch for any advice would be appreciated just like off Bobj.Ive been told i could get fast tracked on a 176/1 visa(hopefully) i am also coming over myself so a few pints could be on the cards lol ,cheers mate in advance,Gary

Ask away mate.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest paul1986

Thanks for that Bobj!!!! Looks really good, especially the caneland central!!! when would advise is the best to come over??? we originally said earlyish next year, but we're looking to maybe moving it forward now :-) depending on job etc... (plus if i ever hear from the recruitment bloke!!! lol)

Thanks everyone

Thanks for that Bobj!!!! Looks really good, especially the caneland central!!! when would advise is the best to come over??? we originally said earlyish next year, but we're looking to maybe moving it forward now :-) depending on job etc... (plus if i ever hear from the recruitment bloke!!! lol)

Thanks everyone

Hi Paul

Welcome to the Mackay group - we fly to Mackay next week so have just been through the whole process - if you need any help just shout. I posted quite a lot of links to info in Mackay in this thread so check them out as may be of use. Hope to see you the other side of the water :wink:

Hi Gary

Welcome to the Mackay group :wink:

We leave for Mackay next week - woohoo :jiggy::jiggy:

There is alot of building work going on at the mo so lots of opps I should think for you - check out www.seek.com.au and www.mycareer.com.au if you havent done so already.

Guest GaryM05

Thanks for the reply and advice,av spent hours online looking at various things.I hope we can keep in touch when you are in Mackay (lucky people) for any advice which you have for a guy stuck in the uk ,thanks again, GARY

Guest paul1986
Hi Paul

Welcome to the Mackay group - we fly to Mackay next week so have just been through the whole process - if you need any help just shout. I posted quite a lot of links to info in Mackay in this thread so check them out as may be of use. Hope to see you the other side of the water :wink:

Hi Jellybeagle

Thanks thats brilliant news!!! hope all goes well!! definately have to keep in touch, let us all know if its as good as everyone says!!! lol

The wife wants to know if you're nervous?? lol. shes bricking it!!! haha

Where abouts in Mackay are you going to??

Have you got a job lined up and all that??

we're getting excited at the thought of it!! lol :biggrin:

Guest ANDREA WRIGHT

Hi Guys...

I'm AMAZED at how many people are moving to Mackay, I hadn't even heard of it until last year.

Well, we sold our house 3 weeks ago and are now waiting for a completion date and aim to be settling into Mackay life by September.

We're unsure of were to settle yet but we'll be renting for the first couple of years until hubby's mum joins us, then we'll look into buying (which gives us the beauty of knowing where is likely or prone to flooding come the wet season..)

At the moment, we're looking at Blacks Beach, Eimeo area. I won't have a car for a good while so beach needs to be pretty close with a 3 and 4 year old in tow.

So pleased to meet other brits making the move, though it does seem like Mackay now has more Brits than locals.... lol

all the best to all making the move..

Guest piper84

Hi Andrea :biggrin:

We are just waiting on visas now ourselves and we will be heading over :cool:

We are also looking at the Blacks Beach area :spinny: I have twin girls aged 20 months so can't wait to have the beach on our doorstep!

Hi Jellybeagle, Brill news for you! Can't wait to hear how you get on over there :)

Big welcome to Paul and Gary too :biggrin: hard to believe we will be all over there soon :smile::smile::smile:

Guest ANDREA WRIGHT

what's your timeline piper84?

And what tricks do you have in store for the twins long haul journey? (parents nightmare journey) LOL

Could be nice to have a party on the beach we all arrive... :o)

Good luck with you visa's... lets hope they are speedy... My hubby's only took 2 weeks.

Guest MissBehaving

Welcome Andrea

We are waiting on the sale of our house (which isn't going as well as we had hoped) and the visas to come through - (Visa's should be the easy part for us).

Our aim is to be over there around the end of September/October but it all rests on this house we call our home! :twitcy:

I have a daughter (aged 8) and we are also looking at Blacks Beach - although friends of ours have just settled in Slade Point and that is closer to OH work.

We are in the same boat - no car when we get there but if I do get a part time job (cross fingers) I will need one.

Guest piper84

We are hoping to be over there by the end of June but it all depends on the visas really, like the sound of two weeks :biggrin:

You can count me in for a beach party :jiggy: What type of work is your hubby doing? Mine is a diesel fitter :smile:

Guest ANDREA WRIGHT

Hi Missbehaving,

I feel your pain, we had our house on the market since last October and it's been grueling... very few viewers out there. We ended up going with Express estate Agency who operate on a sole agency for 12 weeks basis. There price you house very low and ask for 'offer in excess'. I believe it's a scottish system they use. I sounds scary (when they recommended we price 30k below our asking price) but it works.. They boast a selling rate of around 94% of the market value ans a sale within 28 days... It didn't quite happen that way with us as the couple who are buying our house, knocked on our door and made and offer (....it grieves me that I still have to pay the 3k fee but hey! at least we've sold now)

If things get desperate, they're worth considering.. (we wanted 125k and got 120k) It depends if you're prepared to take a hit.

Good Luck!!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, limbo is a horrid place, then the smack in the face when you do finally sell... it took 4 days for my nerves and sickness to subside before I could start getting excited LOL.

Piper84,

my hubby is a crane driver/operator. He hasn't got a job sorted yet but we have had an encouraging e-mail from Boom Logistics and friends we have already out there are showing that the construction industry can't get enough crane operators at the minute... which is very VERY encouraging.

Has your hubby landed work already? diesel fitters always go down well I hear... has he got a mining gig?

BEACH PARTAAAYYYYY!!!! it's on lol :yellow_guy_crazy_ty

Archived