Whos going to Mackay

Still-a-dream!

Hi Ian

As we have the 3 beagles we are in the same boat - Blacks beach is great for dog walking and very long but you are supposed to keep them on a lead - also check out http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Mackay-Pets-Lost-Found-and-Foster/144949635540051 there are a lot of dog owners on here - very friendly and supportive - are you aware you need to register your dog - check out http://www.mackay.qld.gov.au/residents/animals

Hopefully we will meet up walking our hounds!

Angela.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest radders

Good stuff. We did find out that we needed to register him and pay a permit each year. As long as he can have a swim somewhere he will be happy. We will look out for the 3 beagles! Reggie is the brown n White springer....

Guest Karlafrack82

Hey guys,

Me & my husband along with our 2 year old daughter are relocating from the UK to Mackay working for Siemens in Sarina, visa permitting waiting for it all to go thru (fingers crossed) :biggrin:

Loved reading ur threads, very imformative. We are looking at living in Glenella as it's close to all the good parks for our daughter and shopping facilities only a walk away, plus only 15mins drive to Bluewater Lagoon which looks fantastic and to top it off it's free of charge :biggrin: you'd never get this in the UK. Everywhere in Mackay looks so clean and well maintained and can't wait to give our daughter a better start in life.

Karla

hey KarlaF, you need to be wary of some parts of Glenella as it does flood. If you go to Mackay Council website, click on Mimaps and bring up the countour maps in the land and property section. Compare heights with that of the surrounding cane farm and avoid anything within 2m of those.

We're trying to beat down someone on buying a house to rent out in Glenella at the moment (in a high spot!) it is a very convenient and nice area.

As Eera notes, some of Glenella is flood prone. The area adjacent tp the Magpies footy paddock is one of the bad areas, especially along Wheeler Drive..

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=glenella+map&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Glenella+QLD&gl=au&ei=akWqTdWMHoaOvQONyJ2RCg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBYQ8gEwAA

Cheers, Bobj.

Hey guys,

Me & my husband along with our 2 year old daughter are relocating from the UK to Mackay working for Siemens in Sarina, visa permitting waiting for it all to go thru (fingers crossed) :biggrin:

Loved reading ur threads, very imformative. We are looking at living in Glenella as it's close to all the good parks for our daughter and shopping facilities only a walk away, plus only 15mins drive to Bluewater Lagoon which looks fantastic and to top it off it's free of charge :biggrin: you'd never get this in the UK. Everywhere in Mackay looks so clean and well maintained and can't wait to give our daughter a better start in life.

Karla

Hi Karla and welcome to the Mackay gang:biggrin:

My other half is going to work for Siemens in Sarina as well - we are just waiting for our visa to go through at the mo - when do you think you will be heading out - we should be on our way Mid May!

We are going to be living at Dolphin Heads, check out Blacks Beach, Bucasia as in higher areas.

Where are you from in the UK?

Angela.

Guest Karlafrack82
Hey karla,

When you hoping to be over here? Bluewater lagoon is great, the kids love it, they would charge a bomb for it in uk..

Rachael

Hi Rachael,

We are hoping to be over there end of July, just keeping our fingers and toes crossed everything is ok with the visa's :D

Karla

Guest Karlafrack82
Hi Karla and welcome to the Mackay gang:biggrin:

My other half is going to work for Siemens in Sarina as well - we are just waiting for our visa to go through at the mo - when do you think you will be heading out - we should be on our way Mid May!

We are going to be living at Dolphin Heads, check out Blacks Beach, Bucasia as in higher areas.

Where are you from in the UK?

Angela.

Hi Angela,

It seems Siemens have recruited alot of UK engineers, my husband has just got his formal job offer so were waiting to proceed to the next step for our visa's hope everything goes ok, am sure it wont be a problem thou (fingers crossed) We are currently based in Liverpool.

We were looking at the Northview Gardens area in Glenella, will take a look at Bucasia/ Blacks Beach it looks like these area's are alot cheaper to rent than Glenella aswell, thanks for that. Have you already choosen your property to live or are you going to do that once you get out there?

Karla

I can't remember if I've posted this is this thread, I know it's elsewhere so I'll re-post.

Beware the travel time from Northern beaches if you have to travel during peak hour; a trip to Sarina that takes 45-ish mins during the day can easily double at 7.30 to 8.30; If I want to go from Northview gardens to Paget at 2pm, it takes 11 minutes, at 8.15 it takes about 25 minutes to get over the bridge from the roundabout at Magpies and onto Nebo road alone. recently, when Mackay-Bucasia road was being dug up, my boss (Dolphin heads) took 1.5 hours to get in to Paget.

If you're working non-standard hours it won't affect you so much, but there's a reason why Northern beaches is significantly cheaper - the time it takes to commute! Of course, it might be on par with your present UK commute, but there are better things to do than sit in a car on a not very good stretch of road.

Hi Angela,

It seems Siemens have recruited alot of UK engineers, my husband has just got his formal job offer so were waiting to proceed to the next step for our visa's hope everything goes ok, am sure it wont be a problem thou (fingers crossed) We are currently based in Liverpool.

We were looking at the Northview Gardens area in Glenella, will take a look at Bucasia/ Blacks Beach it looks like these area's are alot cheaper to rent than Glenella aswell, thanks for that. Have you already choosen your property to live or are you going to do that once you get out there?

Karla

Hi Karla

We have just secured a house in Dolphin Heads - not too bothered about the commute as the boys will be working non-standard start times for Siemens so they wont be hitting the traffic http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/16cf0b44-6747-428c-8b7a-7c7dcdb0c7a1/pdf_qconnect_mackay_timetable.pdf - check this link there is a really good bus link in Mackay so even if you live in the northern beaches area it is still easy to get into town - are you on Facebook Karla and then you can hook up with the other girls from Newcastle that are going - Carrie (Lexi on here) has just gone and she is posting some amazing pictures on FB - also we are sharing a lot of info as well. Have you seen the links to the Mackay council and the tourism - gives you loads of stuff you need to know - for real estate check out www.realestate.com.au and www.domain.com.au if you havent done already :)

Angela x

Ah no I just read your message Bobj, cant believe I missed the chance to meet the famous man himself. We were down the harbour beach at the weekend and every man that was fishing made me wonder if it was you ha ha.

I can't remember if I've posted this is this thread, I know it's elsewhere so I'll re-post.

Beware the travel time from Northern beaches if you have to travel during peak hour; a trip to Sarina that takes 45-ish mins during the day can easily double at 7.30 to 8.30; If I want to go from Northview gardens to Paget at 2pm, it takes 11 minutes, at 8.15 it takes about 25 minutes to get over the bridge from the roundabout at Magpies and onto Nebo road alone. recently, when Mackay-Bucasia road was being dug up, my boss (Dolphin heads) took 1.5 hours to get in to Paget.

If you're working non-standard hours it won't affect you so much, but there's a reason why Northern beaches is significantly cheaper - the time it takes to commute! Of course, it might be on par with your present UK commute, but there are better things to do than sit in a car on a not very good stretch of road.

Really helpful thanks, my OH will be working in Paget. But heavy work so we are thinking he will be starting early 7am - can you get through and avoid rush hour then would u say?

Ah no I just read your message Bobj, cant believe I missed the chance to meet the famous man himself. We were down the harbour beach at the weekend and every man that was fishing made me wonder if it was you ha ha.

No, mate; I only fish around Seaforth and Ball Bay.

Another time, for Cape Hillsborough, hey?

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Karlafrack82
Hi Karla

We have just secured a house in Dolphin Heads - not too bothered about the commute as the boys will be working non-standard start times for Siemens so they wont be hitting the traffic http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/16cf0b44-6747-428c-8b7a-7c7dcdb0c7a1/pdf_qconnect_mackay_timetable.pdf - check this link there is a really good bus link in Mackay so even if you live in the northern beaches area it is still easy to get into town - are you on Facebook Karla and then you can hook up with the other girls from Newcastle that are going - Carrie (Lexi on here) has just gone and she is posting some amazing pictures on FB - also we are sharing a lot of info as well. Have you seen the links to the Mackay council and the tourism - gives you loads of stuff you need to know - for real estate check out www.realestate.com.au and www.domain.com.au if you havent done already :)

Angela x

Hi Angela,

Oh thats great that you've secured a property before you get out there :biggrin: was this organised by Siemens or did you make these arrangements yourself? There are a few properties we both like which are on www.realestate.com.au and also www.property.com.au, were more drawn to Glenella as everything seems to be near by. We received confirmation from the visa agent this morning just in the process of filling out the forms and submitting that off tomorrow, fingers crossed all goes well.

Yep am on facebook, whats your surname and i'll send you a friend request.

Karla x

Really helpful thanks, my OH will be working in Paget. But heavy work so we are thinking he will be starting early 7am - can you get through and avoid rush hour then would u say?

I'd say you'd be fine if you can get over the bridge before 7.00, Most workers will be on the road around 7.30 or so

Guest Karlafrack82

Anyone have any advise regarding Health Insurance when going to Oz on the sponsored work visa?? Ive tried searching on google but ive found it quite confusing, some have said we'd be ok using medicare others have said we'd need personal insurance??

Any advise would be appreciated

Thanks

Karla

Guest MissBehaving

Hello all.

We are looking to move from the UK to Mackay around November'ish. My OH is in the process of getting his medical done. I can't say who he is going to work for or what he does as we haven't told either of our employers yet. If his found out he would be out of a job straight away :(

I have to admit that I am really scared about the thought of leaving my family and friends over here - moving to a place where we know nobody.

My daughter is in year 3 here and I know we will be providing her with a better way of life but that still doesnt make it any easier.

Thanks for starting this post!! :)

Hello all.

We are looking to move from the UK to Mackay around November'ish. My OH is in the process of getting his medical done. I can't say who he is going to work for or what he does as we haven't told either of our employers yet. If his found out he would be out of a job straight away :(

I have to admit that I am really scared about the thought of leaving my family and friends over here - moving to a place where we know nobody.

My daughter is in year 3 here and I know we will be providing her with a better way of life but that still doesnt make it any easier.

Thanks for starting this post!! :)

Hi misbehaving welcome to the mackay gang :)

If it helps we are all in the same boat so know how you feel, the girls will be along in a mo to help you along - we have all joined up on Facebook and chat to each other all the time and will meet up in Mackay to help each other along so dont worry you wont be on your own :wink:

Angela xx

Guest lala28
Hi misbehaving welcome to the mackay gang :)

If it helps we are all in the same boat so know how you feel, the girls will be along in a mo to help you along - we have all joined up on Facebook and chat to each other all the time and will meet up in Mackay to help each other along so dont worry you wont be on your own :wink:

Angela xx

Hi misbehaving

I am also moving to mackay in June!! Not long now :jiggy:It's a huge thing to do so you're bound to feel like that & leaving family & friends is difficult. However, we just keep reminding ourselves why we are doing it (more family time, better way of life, more job propsects). If I could give you any advice (emigrated to mackay 4 yrs ago & returned after family member fell ill) it would be to think of it as an adventure and take it year by year. We went 1st time with the attitude 'we are emigrating forever and it felt huge. This time we are looking at it differently and taking each day as it comes :) You will be fine as we will all help each other our :biggrin:

Regards

Laura

Guest MissBehaving

Thanks Lala and Jellybeagle :yes: I have to admit that after finding this website at 5am this morning (couldnt sleep - to much on my mind!) I did feel a little less 'isolated'. Because we can't tell anyone I am finding it hard to deal with.

My OH would freak out if he even knew I had posted something on here!! -- oh well - to bad so sad!!! :tongue:

When we get there I wont be working either (first time in 20 years!!) but I think I will go mad if that stays a permanent thing.

Have you guys got quotes for furniture removals etc?

Jelly - I can't add you guys to facebook yet :cry: cos I won't be able to keep my own blinking secret on there!!

Thanks Lala and Jellybeagle :yes: I have to admit that after finding this website at 5am this morning (couldnt sleep - to much on my mind!) I did feel a little less 'isolated'. Because we can't tell anyone I am finding it hard to deal with.

My OH would freak out if he even knew I had posted something on here!! -- oh well - to bad so sad!!! :tongue:

When we get there I wont be working either (first time in 20 years!!) but I think I will go mad if that stays a permanent thing.

Have you guys got quotes for furniture removals etc?

Jelly - I can't add you guys to facebook yet :cry: cos I won't be able to keep my own blinking secret on there!!

Hi Missbehaving,

Glad you found us then! You are in a similar boat as us - as no-one knows we are going - apart from our direct family - e.g. mum and dad. We are hoping to be there September time ish. We have two girls - one will be 4 when we arrive, and the other will be 2.

I worry too about people finding us on here, and I used to have a photo of us on but removed that. :eek: My partner works for a company here in UK, and its the same company (sort of!) across there - but its not an intercompany transfer so we have to be careful. Im in with the other girls on facebook, but they all agreed they wouldnt post anything about Oz to me unless in private message. And your all a lovely bunch arent u ladies! :cute: So If you get nearer to the time and want to add us - we will keep quiet :wubclub:, but totally understand why you are being careful.

We dont have any quotes yet but we have been advised to use a certain company by the employer - i will find the name out and let u know.

Take care!

Archived