Whos going to Mackay

Still-a-dream!

Lexi - youll have a group soon! And you lot will be the experts by then :-) Its funny how many northerners are going to Mackay, its like its drawing us all there lol!

Rachael - Im in Gateshead. Small world isnt it :-)

Well ladies, im off to make a Picnic, meeting a friend and her girls at the park in a bit. Def going to enjoy the outdoor life. This friend knows all about our Oz plans - so atleast I can chat on and on about it to her. Her mams Australian - so her and her kids have a passport - so she may go in a few years too.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love it Rachael! We decided to go to Cape Hillsborough next week because you have to get there for 6am to see the roo's and jet lag is still taking its toll. We went to Lamberts beach today instead and it is beautiful. There were loads of groups of people having bbq's and an aussie guy said to us that they had just decided to buy the snags 10 minutes ago because its a cheap feed for the kids ha ha love it.

Cant wait to have a group of friends to go to Lamberts beach with and get the bbq on xx

G'day mate, not quite right. They will be there most of the morning and later in the afternoon, around 4pm and they are pretty-face wallabies, not roos.:yes: You will most likely see the 'black chooks', the bush turkeys as well.

If you want, I could meet you there...

Cheers, Bobj.

yeah Lexi there are some great picnic areas, we should get a group together and have a bbq sometime.. Do you have any family of friends over here?

Where abouts in Gateshead are you? I grew up in sheriff hill.

Rachael

Hya, we are from Whickham but live in Rowlands Gill now.

So how do you find living in Mackay? Did you move there for a job?

:cute:

Guest abrewin

im planning to go to mackay which is why i came back on this today, only jsut found the post, currently in brisbane

can someone fb me or something, i want to have pommies in my life after being back there a year

cheers

angie brewin

.hey, yeah we love mackay, love the outdoors.. My husband moved over for work originally then me and our son followed.. Are you moving over to oz?

Rachael xx

Hi thats great. Yeah we are hopefully (fingers crossed if everything goes to plan!) going to Mackay in about Sep time.

What sort of work does your hubby do? My partners a diesel fitter and will hopefully be working in the mines.

im planning to go to mackay which is why i came back on this today, only jsut found the post, currently in brisbane

can someone fb me or something, i want to have pommies in my life after being back there a year

cheers

angie brewin

Hi Angie,

When are you off to Mackay, have u lived there before?

Katex

hey, theres loads of work in the mines, my husbands a electrical planner/electrician.

Have you been to mackay before?

Hiya, no weve never been to Australia before! :-) I know some people think that is mad. But I dont think you can compare holidays to moving somewhere anyway - and noone really knows until their living there I suppose. So we are giving it a go!:wubclub:

This is why trying to get as much info as possible on the area. Does your little one go to school there and what area are you? xx

hey, yeah i agree with you there. We live in andergrove its lovely here nice and quiet.. My son goes to andergrove state school 5 mins walk away, he loves it gets on with everyone.. I also have a daughter whos just turned 1, ive just been staying at home with her,think ill start job hunting soon tho.

Do you have any children?

hey, yeah i agree with you there. We live in andergrove its lovely here nice and quiet.. My son goes to andergrove state school 5 mins walk away, he loves it gets on with everyone.. I also have a daughter whos just turned 1, ive just been staying at home with her,think ill start job hunting soon tho.

Do you have any children?

Ah that sounds like a nice area. Partner will be working in Paget(?) for the first 18 month-ish and then out at a mine after that. So really dont know which would be the best area for us. But want an idea of a few areas so we know where to start looking when we arrive. But for me, not working and being at home with the little ones id like to be able to walk to parks/schools

Yeah we have two daughters. Eldest will be 4 in June, and little one will be 2 in July.

I think paget is about 20 min drive from here, there is 2 schools within walking distance and there is parks everywhere.. my sons 9 in october and daughters just turned 1. If you need any info or anything just let me know and ill try get some for you..

thats great thanks very much! xx:cute:

Guest radders

Hi all,

We are moving to Mackay in August this year (2011) on a sponsored permanent visa - subclass 121. I am a Paramedic and my wife (Becky) a primary school teacher, we have a 2 year old son (Freddie) who will soon be 3 when we arrive....

My wife is looking for work at the moment and I have a full time post to go to covering the Mackay region - Queensland Ambulance service.

We are starting to register with estate agents for rentals as we would rather wait to buy until next year.... Any suggested areas for us to rent? we are budgeting around $500 per week.

We are taking our dog (Reggie - the Springer spaniel) Outdoor dog and a family member we have to take!!

We have most things somewhat sorted. We have selected a final choice for pet shipping (any suggestions?) and also no final choice on removal companies?? we have been quoted by 4 companies now. (Any suggestions for this also?)

Any information on costs for the following:

Medical insurance for family

Air conditioning for a month

Taxes (council) per month

food for a small family per week?

fuel/petrol per fill up - average car?

Any help/assistance greatly appreciated... We have been to Queensland twice for travel and exploring but not for over a year and we are trying to find out a bit more before taking the plunge!!!

Thank you all - reading all the other posts are a great help for us - keep them flowing! Go Mackay!!!:jiggy:

Hi Ian

Welcome to our growing gang going to Mackay.

My partner Steve is going to work for Siemens in Sarina and we will be living in Dolphin Heads - leaving at the end of May - woohoo !!

We have 3 beagles that are coming with us - We are using Petair but also Golden Arrow have had loads of great reports as well - both companies are made up of vets and animal lovers and really know what they are talking about.

Some nice areas to live are Blacks Beach, Bucasia, Eimeo, Andergrove, Rural View - depends what you are looking for - check out www.realestate.com.au and www.domain.com.au and look under postcode 4740 - also some great links for info http://www.mackayregion.com/ http://www.mackay.qld.gov.au/ and for footage check out

- also tune into http://www.4mkfm.com.au/

the rest of the girls will be along soon - Still-a-dream, lexi, lala28 - us four have hooked up on facebook so let your wife know if she needs a girlie chat - just shout :) and of course the main man on Mackay BOBJ :wink:

Where abouts are you in the UK.

Angela.

hi angela, its a picture of me and husband on wedding day.

Hey ian, dont know if this will help but it costs me $40 to fill my car up, and aircon (electric bill) is between $300 and $400 every 3 month for a 3 bedroom house.

Also when you arrive join medicare its free and uk citizens are covered for doctors, hospitals etc..

There is private medical insurance but im not sure on costs..

Hope that helps.

Guest radders

We currently live in the Weymouth region, Dorset

I will pass the info on to my wife Becky and thank you very much

For the links. Petair was the company we were

Going to probably use. Looks also like we are using all the best estate agent

websites for rental searches.

A May move for you then! You'll have to post updates on

of how you all get on?

Thanks again and we will try to keep our situation updated for all

Cheers

Hi Ian an Becky,

Welcome to our little Mackay group. We are hoping to be going there in September time- ish. Fingers crossed. On a sponsored Visa with my partners job - plant fitter. We are a family of 4, and have two little girls who will be 2 years and 4 years when we get there.

This is the cost of living list I have put together (from postings on POI) and am baseing my workings on. Its a bit basic (and if anyone has any more realistic amounts please let me know!) Per month

Rent 2000

Food (family 4) 1200

Electric 100

Car Insurance 60

Mobile 50

Broadband 50

Petrol 400

Health Insurance 200 (if wanted/needed)

Garbage Collection 30

Guest radders

To still a dream

Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated. We have received some extra info from Bob too!

Cost of living doesn't seem to bother us at the moment. It all seems relative to what we will earn. We hope to make some set in stone date plans soon for moving! It's all very exciting for us all! Mackay seems beautiful it also sounds hot n humid?

Anyone know if there are plenty of dog walking beaches? Safe from jellyfish swimming beaches in and around the area? We have viewed quite alot of the areas beaches on you tube.

The count down for mackay has begun! We hope to see some of you there!

Archived