Whos going to Mackay

Still-a-dream!

Guest Slainte
Just wondered cos my contract comes to an end here in August and I want to get a smart phone. Wondering if it is worth buying it outright here or waiting to get to Oz and get one on contract!

Question: How long do you have to be there to get any sort of credit history?

I would recommend getting it at home, unlocking it and bringing it with you. I had the same option before coming out and am disappointed I didn't take it. It will take you a few weeks to get a credit history - e.g. QLD driving licence, bank cards, medicare card etc. They will also put you on something like a 24 month contract...

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Slainte
Hi Slainte,hows Mackay treating you?hows the pubs n clubs n pints aswell(canny forget that).I checked out the Mackay Marine Tourist Park and rooms for 2 are $95 per night ,my mate wants to go to Mackay aswell. My trade isnt on the eligible skills list just now but it might be soon i was told due to the downturn in the industry and there is meant to be a lot unemployed just now(according to the Queensland government)but yet others say there is a shortage of carpenters so it could be the mines for me,all the best mate and hope to be over asap.

I haven't bee n out much yet Gary, the pubs did my head in last Saturday night as it was all (bad) live music but the club was good. Meeting a few Aussie girl though reminded me why I always went for pommie girls when I was a backpacker! :biglaugh:

The 'schooner' is the equivalent of the pint here but only measures 425ml to the pint's 568ml so you 'll end up necking them down! I've gone back to VB, at the end of my travels last time I abdicated to Toohey's New but I am now back in the arms of VB!

$95/night is quite good by Mackay standards. Hopefully something will turn up for you soon, today is a beautiful day, I really enjoyed my lunchtime stroll!

It's only around the corner for you! :wub:

Central Caravan Park in North Mackay was advertising cabnis at $65 per night when I drove by the other day. The area is a bit run-down but for that price, hey. My in laws rate Andergrove Caravan Park very highly for thier cabins, but I don't know what they cost off the top of my head

Guest paul1986
Hi guys

Karl from here has just set up a facebook page - whos going to Mackay - join up as we are all on there and can pass on loads of advice :biggrin:

Thanks Again,

Thinki its great that everyone can get together and have a chat!!!

Brilliant to hear from people who are over there aswell. Gives us all that bit of re-assurance because it is sucha big step. Fair play to everyone thats out there and doing it, and helping us lot who arent there yet!

Im really keen to find out what the works like out there, so if there is anyone who is going to Hastings Deering, or is already out there, please PM me or add me on facebook. I know Karl on here, he is a mate and he got me into this forum and the going to Oz business! And so far, I cant fault him for it!! lmao:biglaugh:

It all looks so good, I want to be out there now!!

Hope everything is working out for you out there!!!

Paul Donna and Kids

Guest MissBehaving
Thanks Again,

Thinki its great that everyone can get together and have a chat!!!

Brilliant to hear from people who are over there aswell. Gives us all that bit of re-assurance because it is sucha big step. Fair play to everyone thats out there and doing it, and helping us lot who arent there yet!

Im really keen to find out what the works like out there, so if there is anyone who is going to Hastings Deering, or is already out there, please PM me or add me on facebook. I know Karl on here, he is a mate and he got me into this forum and the going to Oz business! And so far, I cant fault him for it!! lmao:biglaugh:

It all looks so good, I want to be out there now!!

Hope everything is working out for you out there!!!

Paul Donna and Kids

Hey Paul --- are you from Ashford also?

Guest GaryM05

Hi mate,so the sheila s are fab then aswell as the pints?what about sky sports for the football in the pubs?can you get it there or would you need to get your own tv for that?ma a**e is making buttons to get to Mackay and away from this depressing place(Britain),all the best mate

Guest paul1986
Hey Paul --- are you from Ashford also?

Hi MissBehaving, I am from around Ashford yeah, are you then???

Guest MissBehaving
Hi MissBehaving, I am from around Ashford yeah, are you then???

Yippity :) We are from Ashford :) Small world hey .....:wub:

Guest paul1986
Yippity :) We are from Ashford :) Small world hey .....:wub:

Real small world isnt it!!! Lol. How come your going over then?? You got a job sorted etc???

are you on facebook???

Guest MissBehaving

Oh has a job lined up there so we are going over on a 457. Yeah I am on FB... will add you now.. :)

Hi all

wondering if theres room for a southern softie in here ......

Ive been lurking a while and chatting to Piper84 (Debbie) , we have received contracts today from the same company as Debbies hubby , so will be out to Mackay as soon as the visa is sorted .....

I have loads of questions to bore you with soon.

Were a family of 5 . Me OH and one boy 10 nearly 11 two girls one nearly 8 and one 5 ......

chat later

Tan x

Guest piper84

Hey Tania :biggrin: glad to hear the contracts came through

Welcome aboard :biggrin: We are all on facebook as well if you want to add,

My name is Debbie Clyne :cool: and hubby is Trevor Clyne

Guest Laughin Shaft

Hi all, thought it was about time I came on here too and introduced myself :biggrin: I'm pipers (Debbies) other half. Trevor Clyne for those who want to add me on facebook. Ah ye's are looking well :wink:

Hi everybody!!

Cant believe how many people and new people are coming on here everday!!!

Im a newbie myself but theres been loads of people coming on here since ive been here, Mackay really will be the Little Britain of Oz.

Anywho, was just wondering, seeing as there's so many people on here, how many people are going over with Hastings Deering???

Me and my family are dead set on going, we arent 100% going yet, i.e. havent had the formal interview, havent had visa's etc... but we're cracking on with it, im just sending over all my documents etc.. to check that the DIAC will accept them all.

Hope So!!!!!!!!!

I reckon we should all add eachother on facebook!!

My names Paul Cooper, and my pic is a side view of my face kissing my missus!!

Anyways, hope to hear from someone soon!!!

Take Care

Paul, Donna, Ryan and Kieron

Hi Paul and Donna, and Kieron

As you know, we are going over with HD, and Stephen just had his interview Thurs morn, and was told 'great, we will be sorting out your offer of employment now'. So excellent, we are one step closer. Did just seem like a formality, like Dennis had already said. Visa should be getting sent off now by the office. Give us a shout if you need any help with anything.

Guest MissBehaving
Thanks debbie will add you , have not said too much on fb yet till OH tells his boss next week !!!

Welcome Scrumper - I was in the same position as you... I couldn't say anything for a while but have told my company. OH hasnt told his company yet though :|

Hi Trevor - welcome to Debbie's other half.

Welcome to anyone else I missed :)

Welcome Scrumper - I was in the same position as you... I couldn't say anything for a while but have told my company. OH hasnt told his company yet though :|

Hi Trevor - welcome to Debbie's other half.

Welcome to anyone else I missed :)

hopefully he will tell his boss on monday so will be a bit easier , I am sure his boss will be fine but you never know do you :eek:

Guest Slainte

I am addicted to the footie as well - I am not sure if the pubs would show it as I haven't been out here while the season has been on. Uou can get fox sports which shows all the sky sports game for $60/month. I think it's worth it and will be getting it before the season starts. The only prob is the time difference and the 4pm Sunday matches kicking off at 1am and having to get up for work the next day! SBS which is free view also do a Sunday show which is like a match of the day but it goes on for about 6 hours and shows one of the games the previous day in full (I think).

Guest lmills

Hi all, and sara, bet your getting excited now, 1 day to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

like a few of you ive been in the background reading all the threads, now im getting all excited as only have 3 weeks then were on our way, ive only been on here once before but havent had a lot of time, as were were told our visas came through whilst in holiday!!! (last week) they only took 3 months to come through!!!! so now running round like headless chickens, :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

its great to see the little community thats been built up on here makes you feel that your not alone, thanks, and there are quite a few going out to the Mackay area in the next few weeks can i join the gang!!! so i can see how your all getting on.

cheers lisa

[Job Intv 16/3 offer 19/3 visa's applied 1/4 visa's gained 08/06/11 !!!!!!!!!!!!:yellow_guy_crazy_ty flying 11/7]

Guest Slainte
Hi mate so who s your team or teams?

Manchester United but please don't give me this glory hunter crap, I started following then in 1985 when Ron Atkinson was manager and they were almost relegated! :yes:

Guest lala28

Hi all. We are here!!! Landed in Brisbane last thursday & spent a few days there. Got to Mackay on Sunday :biggrin:

Got the keys to our house yesterday & move in next week yippeeee!! Just need our furniture to arrive now approx another 4 weeks :err:

All good so far though!

Guest GaryM05

Hi mate ,that was my second jersey i go after my Glasgow Celtic one in 1979 so we ve something in common lol

Guest Slainte
Hi mate ,that was my second jersey i go after my Glasgow Celtic one in 1979 so we ve something in common lol

Being Irish, I obviously follow Celtic as a second team, too. Was at an old firm game in Celtic park about 6 years ago, man that was some atmosphere!

Archived