Whos going to Mackay

Still-a-dream!

Hi everyone moving to Mackay soon - hopefully - never heard of the place until 3 weeks ago. Can any 1 give me the heads up on relocating, not looking at anyone in particular but Bobi you seem to have answered a lot of similar posts, lol. can you give me some info ? We are wondering about the cost of food, schools, health and other stuff like is it a safe city / area what is the cost of running a car. I've researched rentals in N Mackay and the seem expensive - does rental costs include electricity and water charges. Hopefully I will have secured a job there soon and we have 4 girls coming with us. Any help is much appreciated.............. John

G'day mate, Mackay is an expensive city and it takes a few sorties to the supermarkets to check on the 'specials' etc to ease the food bill. Jo and I, (2 oldies on a pension) manage to get by on about $100-$120/week. Fuel is $1.42 or $1.49 depending on petrol or diesel.

Might pay you to research a bit further out for rentals, such as Walkerston (Scrubby), or Sarina. I live about 50 km away from the CBD and it is a 35-45 minute commute.

Cannot help re renting and electric/water costs as we own our home.

Just look back in the Mackay threads for the schools... A bit too old to know about them:wink:

Hope this helps some.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi everyone moving to Mackay soon - hopefully - never heard of the place until 3 weeks ago. Can any 1 give me the heads up on relocating, not looking at anyone in particular but Bobi you seem to have answered a lot of similar posts, lol. can you give me some info ? We are wondering about the cost of food, schools, health and other stuff like is it a safe city / area what is the cost of running a car. I've researched rentals in N Mackay and the seem expensive - does rental costs include electricity and water charges. Hopefully I will have secured a job there soon and we have 4 girls coming with us. Any help is much appreciated.............. John

Hi John,

We are not there yet but looking like we will be flying out late October. Our visa was granted last week. What sort of job are you going out on?

It is rather quiet on here as quite a few have already gone to Mackay but are keeping in touch on facebook, the group is 'whos moving or moved to mackay' if you would like to look us up.

Kate

Guest john creedon

Hi Kate, I am awaiting confirmation of a job in the area of Health & Safety. The money looks very good and the lifestyle speaks for itself. We are in Ireland at the minute and my take home pay is reducing each year whilst my qualifications increase each year - go figure... We have 4 girls from 17 yrs to 4 months so we really have to do a good bit of research before heading off. I will check out the facebook page, thanks for gettin in contact

John

Guest rachel6782

hi all we have got to mackay is there any one out there that would be interested in meeting up my kids are doing my head in they have got no one to play with so it would be great if we could start meeting some new friends

Guest piper84

Hi Rachael, am in Mackay as well with two toddlers :biggrin: There is a few of us here with young kids, hold old are your children? There is a group of us on facebook also "whos moving or moved to mackay" You should join, there is plenty of lovely people on it .

Hi everyone,

I've read through a great number of pages with regard to Mackay. Today, my husband received a written job offer for a sponsored position in Mackay, working as a mechanical fitter. After years of trying to get to Australia, I'm actually really nervous now and have been crying after telling my mum about the job. Anyway, we have been told that the company are trying to have us out there by Christmas. Us = me (jaime), my husband (allan) and two kids (12 & 6).

I am really hoping that we can make friends quickly once we arrive and after reading this thread, there seems to be a number of families there/almost there. For me, being so isolated is the biggest thing. Anyway, not quite sure if this thread is still going strong, but if it is, great! Jaime x

• 3 weeks later...

hi all

well i guess thats it said good bye to old school friends work mates very close friends and last but not least family leaving party all over with and just the next 10 days to count down to the one step for the waters family and one giant leap for everyone else to come visit

mackay here i come see you soon karl becky and kids

Guest newinozey

i work in Mackay and single. its a really nice place. accommodation is the biggest problem as rents are so expensive because of the mining out west. Lots of people live in Mackay and their partners work in the mines on a roster. the best jobs are mining related but work in Mackay so no travel.

I recommend if you are a family looking for accommodation to look out of the city at places like Marian, marani and sarina. Not far from the city and rent is cheaper.

there are lots of us POM's here.:hug:

Guest sophieshiatsu

Hi, I don't know if you made it out to Mackay as your post was back in February. I emigrated here in August this year and have found a place to rent in North Mackay with my hubby and 6 year old daughter. She has started at Fitzgerald School which she loves. As I have only just got my spouse visa I can now legally look for work. It is a mining town so there are alot of mining jobs and it is very hard to find a house to rent. We were lucky! So far so good, I like the town, and you are not far from fantastic beaches, Eungella National Park etc..

I think paget is about 20 min drive from here, there is 2 schools within walking distance and there is parks everywhere.. my sons 9 in october and daughters just turned 1. If you need any info or anything just let me know and ill try get some for you..

Hi Gateshead girl sorry for just jumping in but hopefull my oh an myself will be heading mackay in the new year from ireland all depends if my husand gets the job (which is looking good).Have been looking at andergrove to live looks nice i have 2 sons 10 and 1 is there lots of kids in the area as i would my older son to makes friends :laugh:

hope you hear bk,,,,christina

Guest sophieshiatsu
Hi Gateshead girl sorry for just jumping in but hopefull my oh an myself will be heading mackay in the new year from ireland all depends if my husand gets the job (which is looking good).Have been looking at andergrove to live looks nice i have 2 sons 10 and 1 is there lots of kids in the area as i would my older son to makes friends :laugh:

hope you hear bk,,,,christina

I have lived in North Mackay for a month. It is a great area and I am close to Fitzgerald Primary and High School. Andergrove is just above us and depending where you are you may be in catchment area for Fitzgerald. My daughter is 6 and loves it! We are only 5 minute drive from Mount Pleasant shopping centre (indoor mall with supermarkets and enough shops) and 10 minute drive from town centre so you are pretty close to everything.

The main problem is finding a house if you are renting as it is very difficult. The main problem is not having any rental history in Australia but if you can bring references from the UK so much the better. It is a game of filling in forms with the rental agencies who then give them to the landlords or then decide who to rent to. There are too many people looking for properties but we bought the Pocket Trader (small fortnightly advertising book $4) the day it came out, and phoned the landlord as soon as possible and were lucky enough to get a rental property so it is possible. We did supply references from renting and work and he did phone them so this definitely helps.

No idea about buying but it is probably a buyers market!

As to work I am still in the process of looking but most jobs are in the mines (the well paid ones anyway!)

Still loving Mackay though!

Hi claire im christina,,,im in the same boat as you hopeing to be moving to mackay in the new year if my oh gets the job he went for(fingers crossed) i have 2 kids (10 an 1) and were from ireland.

Have just joined this site to its great :)

Racheal thanks for your reply,,everyone on here is so helpfull :)

There,s so many area's to choose from but i do like,, Andergrove,,Beconfield and mouth pleasent

christina..

I have lived in North Mackay for a month. It is a great area and I am close to Fitzgerald Primary and High School. Andergrove is just above us and depending where you are you may be in catchment area for Fitzgerald. My daughter is 6 and loves it! We are only 5 minute drive from Mount Pleasant shopping centre (indoor mall with supermarkets and enough shops) and 10 minute drive from town centre so you are pretty close to everything.

The main problem is finding a house if you are renting as it is very difficult. The main problem is not having any rental history in Australia but if you can bring references from the UK so much the better. It is a game of filling in forms with the rental agencies who then give them to the landlords or then decide who to rent to. There are too many people looking for properties but we bought the Pocket Trader (small fortnightly advertising book $4) the day it came out, and phoned the landlord as soon as possible and were lucky enough to get a rental property so it is possible. We did supply references from renting and work and he did phone them so this definitely helps.

No idea about buying but it is probably a buyers market!

As to work I am still in the process of looking but most jobs are in the mines (the well paid ones anyway!)

Still loving Mackay though!

Thanks Racheal it looks amazing i hope my oh gets the job:biggrin:,,I wrots back to you the other day and iv just relised its not up here god only knows what i done im still new to this,,,,thanks again

christina

• 1 month later...
Guest Malteser

Hi to all,

There is so much info on this thread. We hope to get to Mackay by Early January. I have two children, 10 and 14. My eldest has been looking into high schools and she likes the look of Mackay North State High School. Would anyone know how much of a chance will my daughter have of getting into that school? I have sent an email to the school via their website a couple of days ago and I have not got a reply yet :no:

Guest piper84

Hi Malteser :smile:

Am living in Mackay over 3 months now and it is lovely. Can't help you on the school because my two girls are only 2yrs.

Guest Malteser
Hi Malteser :smile:

Am living in Mackay over 3 months now and it is lovely. Can't help you on the school because my two girls are only 2yrs but if you are on facebook there is a group of us on there 'whos moved or moving to mackay'

https://www.facebook.com/groups/111311525626099/

There is a good few girls on there who have children at school age who would be more help to you :smile:

Hi thank you for that but I'm not on facebook. Now I said that I feel ancient :biglaugh:. My daughter is, so I'll get her to look into it for me.

Hi to all

I have just joined - my OH starts work as a Diesel Fitter on 14th December - we are frantically trying to find him some short term accomodation. I will be joining him with our 13 year old son when the UK end is all sorted.

I look forward to being in touch with others who are in the same position

Ellen

Guest Malteser

Hi Nelleg,

My OH has just had his job offer and will be flying out to oz as soon as visas and motorcycle import permit are done. Should hopefully be there by early January and hope to be in time to sort out schools. Ozzie kids start new school year around 23 Jan and was hoping mine will be there from day one. :biggrin:

Hi Nelleg,

My OH has just had his job offer and will be flying out to oz as soon as visas and motorcycle import permit are done. Should hopefully be there by early January and hope to be in time to sort out schools. Ozzie kids start new school year around 23 Jan and was hoping mine will be there from day one. :biggrin:

Hi Malteser

Great news about job offer - I was hoping to be there for start of school year as well but not looking as promising at the moment - I want to get out as soon as possible though as just want to get settled down - very excited but also hard work trying to sort it all out especially long distance. :confused:

Guest Malteser

Good Luck Nelleg, I think you are very brave doing the journey on your own with your son. It's all very exciting as well as being hard work. I 'm sure that in the end everything will be alright.

I'm looking forward to the sunny days :jiggy: Obviously all this is subject to the 457 visa being issued.

Archived