Whos going to Mackay

Still-a-dream!

Good Luck Nelleg, I think you are very brave doing the journey on your own with your son. It's all very exciting as well as being hard work. I 'm sure that in the end everything will be alright.

I'm looking forward to the sunny days :jiggy: Obviously all this is subject to the 457 visa being issued.

Good luck with the 457 - ours took about 4 and a half weeks from submission - trying to sort accommodation out at the moment and will admit its a bit of a headache - just be glad when its all sorted - must admit really looking forward to the day we fly out.:spinny:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good luck with the 457 - ours took about 4 and a half weeks from submission - trying to sort accommodation out at the moment and will admit its a bit of a headache - just be glad when its all sorted - must admit really looking forward to the day we fly out.:spinny:

Hi

Our visa application was submitted last Monday , Told it will take 3 to 4 weeks maybe with thhe Xmas period it might be slower (Hope Not) would be a lovely Xmas present to get the week before Xmas. would love to be there in time for the start of the school term for our son he is 11.

So looking foward to living in Mackay sounds and looks like a lovely city. We are from Ireland and so looking foward as there is no hope for our children in this country Wages are getting lower by the year and Morgages amongst other things are going up.

Guest Malteser
Hi

Our visa application was submitted last Monday , Told it will take 3 to 4 weeks maybe with thhe Xmas period it might be slower (Hope Not) would be a lovely Xmas present to get the week before Xmas. would love to be there in time for the start of the school term for our son he is 11.

So looking foward to living in Mackay sounds and looks like a lovely city. We are from Ireland and so looking foward as there is no hope for our children in this country Wages are getting lower by the year and Morgages amongst other things are going up.

Hi Gar,

Good to hear your application is in. You never know, you might actually get it before xmas.

We are in the same situation as yourselves. Future here does not look too good especially for the kids. Would your son be in Year 6 or Year 7 when he goes to school in Oz? My youngest daughter will be 11 in May and she is in Year 6 here. I suppose she will be in Year 6 in Oz as well.

We are waiting for my hubby's employer to put in the nomination after which the visa application will be put in. He is having a medical this week coming. I would love us to be there in time for the kids to start school with the rest. I suppose it would be easier for them to settle in.

I've got OH over my shoulders asking what your other half does? My OH is a fitter. It would be nice to meet up and share experiences when we are in Mackay - If you'd like that. :smile:

Best of Luck

Guest SupportPants

So many people coming to Mackay! The town is absolutely booming and with that it's very difficult to find accomodation and when you do it may be very expensive. Wages are pretty good accordingly as employers are finding it hard to find staff - even casual waitressing is 28 bucks an hour and you can get 40 + hours a week easily. It's not the nicest of places but it certainly isn't the worst and has lots of opportunity. Make sure you ate holding out for a good wage!

Hi Gar,

Good to hear your application is in. You never know, you might actually get it before xmas.

We are in the same situation as yourselves. Future here does not look too good especially for the kids. Would your son be in Year 6 or Year 7 when he goes to school in Oz? My youngest daughter will be 11 in May and she is in Year 6 here. I suppose she will be in Year 6 in Oz as well.

We are waiting for my hubby's employer to put in the nomination after which the visa application will be put in. He is having a medical this week coming. I would love us to be there in time for the kids to start school with the rest. I suppose it would be easier for them to settle in.

I've got OH over my shoulders asking what your other half does? My OH is a fitter. It would be nice to meet up and share experiences when we are in Mackay - If you'd like that. :smile:

Best of Luck

Hi

Our son is in 5th Class in Ireland. He was 11 in November , Im assuming he will be in year 6 as he would be going into 6th Class in Ireland next September if we were staying and thats the last year before Secondary School.

My otherhalf is an Electrican by Trade he works in the Traffic Industry here in Ireland . Im a hairdresser myself.

Yeah we would like to meet up when we get over are you on Facebook are you part of the group http://www.facebook.com/groups/111311525626099/

We have one othere boy he is 16 months , where are you from.

We have downloaded some forms to enroll our son in a couple of schools in Mackay so when we get a house we can choose then which school to pick , we have heard that if you go to school close to where you live he would make more friends.

Christina...:jimlad: Love these Smilies.....:biggrin:

• 7 months later...
Guest Frutsel
Hi everybody!!

Cant believe how many people and new people are coming on here everday!!!

Im a newbie myself but theres been loads of people coming on here since ive been here, Mackay really will be the Little Britain of Oz.

Anywho, was just wondering, seeing as there's so many people on here, how many people are going over with Hastings Deering???

Me and my family are dead set on going, we arent 100% going yet, i.e. havent had the formal interview, havent had visa's etc... but we're cracking on with it, im just sending over all my documents etc.. to check that the DIAC will accept them all.

Hope So!!!!!!!!!

I reckon we should all add eachother on facebook!!

My names Paul Cooper, and my pic is a side view of my face kissing my missus!!

Anyways, hope to hear from someone soon!!!

Take Care

Paul, Donna, Ryan and Kieron

Hi Paul,

I have been offered a job with Hastings Deering as well.

Could you tell me what they all arranged for you?

How long did it take before you got your contract sent to you?

Are you still working there and what is it like there?

PM me with the answers if you like.

Thanks

Mick

hi all sorry for butting in can anyone tell me if there is much work for bricklayers in mackay or does everyone work in the mines

we have visa in place but house not sold (wife and thirteen year old daughter getting vert frustrated not to mention me) is it easy to get work in mines if you stay in mackay, entry level jobs that i would be looking at. any help or info appreciated

graham ,janis and sophie in sunny scotland

It's damn hard to get hold of a builder in Mackay. There are enough houses going up that I suspect you wouldn't have much issue as a brickie. No, despite what the SMS column in the local rag would have you believe, not everyone works in the mines at all: nationwide it's about 200,000; in QLD about 58,000 people, and it's extremely hard to get in at the bottom if you don't have a skill in demand or previous experience.

thanks for info eera don,t suppose you have any idea what money bricklayers are on in mackay just wondering if we could survive on there wages

thinking on renting house out so bit risky if money is not that good thanks for help

I don't have a clue, I'm sorry. Try googling Building Industry and Construction Award (think that's what it's called), that will set out minimum wage and overtime hours etc. Mackay generally pays above award to attract people and retain them. We recently had a 40 sq m deck built (not brick but may indicate relatively what building costs are and relate back to wages somehow), that set us back $46k

• 3 weeks later...

We have been offered the chance of sponsorship morning and it has knocked me sideways.

Any info on life in Mackay would be really helpful. There is only so much research you can do via Google. I would appreciate hearing from people who are there and have experienced the ups and downs of moving to Mackay and have the T shirt to prove it. TIA:biggrin:

Guest missmaisey

hi im moving to mackay in sept hopefully just waiting on visas, got kids aswell 1 yr and 10yr old, i have been told glenella is a good area to live, where are you planning on going yoursef? is it working visa you have my hubby going as mechanic . look forward to hearing from you. nicky

Guest missmaisey

hiya im going to mackay to, 1yr old 10yr old hubby going as mechanic, im a hairdresser got job interviews when i get there, any idea on schools or areas? thks

Guest missmaisey

hi i will be moving sept roughly my hubby got job as mechanic he also will be near ooralea aswell with his work, schools shops and so on where do you suggest? are you shipping your goods over? we cant get a quote under 8k nightmare. thks

Guest missmaisey

hi everybody whos movin to aussssss, i have been researching now for ages shipping and so on, shipping isnt for me far to expensive from spain, just my luck. so i have decided to buy all again in aus. so here there is ebay ikea and most shops are decent if you want expensive there is if you want cheap you go that aswel. so weigh has now been lifted of my shoulder................................ so if theres anybody going to mackay pm me please we can chat then meet up there lol thanks guysx

Missmaisey there is a great facebook page whos moving to Mackay - jump on there as there are lots of people who are already here that can help :biggrin:

hi everybody whos movin to aussssss, i have been researching now for ages shipping and so on, shipping isnt for me far to expensive from spain, just my luck. so i have decided to buy all again in aus. so here there is ebay ikea and most shops are decent if you want expensive there is if you want cheap you go that aswel. so weigh has now been lifted of my shoulder................................ so if theres anybody going to mackay pm me please we can chat then meet up there lol thanks guysx

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JAngell89
I think paget is about 20 min drive from here, there is 2 schools within walking distance and there is parks everywhere.. my sons 9 in october and daughters just turned 1. If you need any info or anything just let me know and ill try get some for you..

Hi!

My partner has just received his contract through to be a diesel fitter in the mines and will be working in Paget. Neither of us have ever been to Australia.

Thought I'd get chatting to people who are also considering the move and couldn't help but notice how similar our situations is? We have a son who will be turning 5 on the last day of August.

Hi to everybody else, if anyone has any useful info on Mackay it will be greatly appreciated (the places that have stood out the most are Mount Pleasant and Black Beach).

Thanks

:wub:

• 1 month later...
Guest Hedgehopper
Hi, Anyone still on this thread in Mackay? We are moving in December, me my hubby and 2 boys 8 & 4. Would be good to know some people before we go :)

Moved to Mackay last week unfortunately my family aren't joining me until next year if you need any help with anything feel free to give me a shout, still finding my way around so not sure how much help I would actually be

We are moving there in December as well. Where a bouts are you looking at to live ?

Be aware that December is the start of the Wet, which means a few storms, temperatures around 30-36 C and high humidity (65-95%)

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived