Nightime cramp.....any cures

Guest bindog1uk

Guest bindog1uk

Hi Peeps, anyone got any good cures for nightime cramp in the legs & feet, have started to get them quite a lot recently. I have plenty of fluids and usually have a banana a day for potasium, just wondered if anyone new of anything else I could try:wacko:

HELP :arghh: Lesley :wink:

Guest VickyMel

My legs start twitching in the evenings if I am tired and this can be accompanied by cramping - I usually find it continues until I take them to bed.

I have found that a bit of exercise (walking up and down steps) helps to wake them up again and will stop the cramps for a while.

I also get cramps in the morning if my legs have got cold overnight - usually try to cuddle up to my OH to grab a bit of his heat or pull the quilt over a bit more.

Will be interested to see what people suggest.

Guest bindog1uk
My legs start twitching in the evenings if I am tired and this can be accompanied by cramping - I usually find it continues until I take them to bed.

I have found that a bit of exercise (walking up and down steps) helps to wake them up again and will stop the cramps for a while.

I also get cramps in the morning if my legs have got cold overnight - usually try to cuddle up to my OH to grab a bit of his heat or pull the quilt over a bit more.

Will be interested to see what people suggest.

Hi VickyMel,

Have tried the cuddle up bit, but the snorring down my ears then keeps me awake :laugh:

I think the cold does have something to do with it though as my legs & feet were cold all day yesterday, right until I went to bed, have put think tights underneath my work trousers today to see if it does make a difference.

Thanks for your help :wink: Lesley

Guest bindog1uk
drinking tonic water helps ...

With or without the vodka :laugh: only joking I know alchol dehidrates.

Thanks for the tips, I will try anything not to get cramp, would sooner have a baby :biggrin:

Guest guest37336

With or without the vodka :laugh: only joking I know alchol dehidrates.

Thanks for the tips, I will try anything not to get cramp, would sooner have a baby :biggrin:

Hi Lesley.

Dependent on where the cramps are I normally find a bloody good rub down does the trick. Of course it is best if your partner participates as well. Most deep muscle cramps are only cured by this method but must include some whipped cream, strawberry jam (or flavour of choice) and to top it off, some Barry White dolsit tones in the background.

However, if the cramps persist WHO CARES, :jiggy:

Or you could approach the problem old school as my ex PE teacher used to. In his own sado/masochist manner he would scream at us after a long rugby match in freezing conditions, 'Stretch it out boy' easier said than done as lay on the floor not being able to move, evil little man he was.

I hope this has helped you in your quest Lesley, and can I just mention your idea of a banana already has you on the right track in finding a cure.:embarrassed:

Cheers Tony.

Guest bindog1uk

Thanks Tony, can alway's depend on you to come up with many alternatives:biggrin:

Of course being very desperate, going to try everything that everyone has recommended ( no kinky suggestions though) this is not for Paul's benefit:laugh:

Off to the chemist today for my supplements:wacko:

Guest guest37336
Thanks Tony, can alway's depend on you to come up with many alternatives:biggrin:

Of course being very desperate, going to try everything that everyone has recommended ( no kinky suggestions though) this is not for Paul's benefit:laugh:

Off to the chemist today for my supplements:wacko:

On a serious note Lesley.

I am fortunate that I very rarely suffer from cramps now. But I reckon the chemist is the way to go.

I used to watch my younger brother have some terrible cramps in his legs, not funny for the victim.

Cheers Tony. :wubclub:

My husband gets horrible cramps and has all sorts of ideas about how he might get rid of them - he's tried supplements, crampeze, tonic water, bananas to little avail. He is now on a regime of reverse eating - has a big breakfast, small lunch and almost nothing after about 4pm except a milky drink just before bedtime. He thinks he is on to a winner as his success is measured in days without cramping - but I think there is a lot of superstitious behaviour going on for him there. He also drinks a lot of water (tank not tap).

I will make a note of everyone's suggestions though for the next time he has one! Shouldnt laugh though, I had one last night - that dreadful muscle just on the outside of the lower leg which has nothing you can really stretch!

Good luck Lesley, let us know what works!

According to my medically-trained other half, muscle cramps are often a symptom of too little salt (sodium) or potassium in the diet.

However, obviously going too far the other direction can have a bad effect on blood pressure so take doctor's advice before going wild with the salt shaker or too many bananas (which are a good source of potassium).

Bob

Word of warning about the "new" Cramps Away tablets.

I tried some and almost ended up in hospital. What I didn't realise is that the main ingredient: White Willow Stem Bark, is almost identical to Aspirin.

I can't take Aspirin because of a long history if stomach ulcers and wouldn't have touched the tablets if I had known. I was really ill for about a week and if I had carried on taking them I might well be dead now.

Guest sh7t man no way

have a very hot bath before going to bed--failing that where flight socks to sleep in--if thats allright with your doctor

Hi Peeps, anyone got any good cures for nightime cramp in the legs & feet, have started to get them quite a lot recently. I have plenty of fluids and usually have a banana a day for potasium, just wondered if anyone new of anything else I could try:wacko:

HELP :arghh: Lesley :wink:

soda water or lemonade to drink at night. works for me. or take the mineral tablets-crampeze

Guest bindog1uk

Thanks folks for all your idea's and comments, will be putting them all to the test over the next couple of weeks, will let you know what seems to work the best :wacko:

Many thanks, :wink: Lesley

Guest VickyMel
Lesley.....how about a good sharp axe .......that should get rid of the night time cramp and an added bonus of getting rid of the day time cramp too...........

Mmmmm sometimes it is a thought - I am getting morning cramps at the moment when I am waking up and I stretch my legs out as I wake up - Ouch agony...

May have to try a soda drip through the night - or Nicks remedy :eek: is also tempting when the pain is occurring.

Guest bindog1uk

Haven't had one for two nights now, the problem is though you tend to limp the next day cos it hurt so much & trying not to scream in pain so you don't wake the OH cos he has to be up early for work doesn't help:arghh:

I suffered all my life with cramps in my calves at night. Tonic water and Cal/mag supplements are brilliant!! If you could get your hands on quinine (the stuff that is in tonic water) it would be great, but normally it needs a presciption.

Used to be able to get quinine in antimalarial tabs but I guess they are probably script only. Taste like cr*p though!

Magnesium supplements are supposed to be better absorbed and used by the body when they are rubbed on the skin in an oil form. Google magesium oil for info and here's a couple of sites that sell it:

Nutri-Tech - MagSorb transdermal magnesium oil 250ml

http://www.alternetdetox.com.au/shop/index.php?cPath=129&osCsid=8e57d46821e3b36a20155813ac7d9710

I researched it for a friend of mine who has ME (chronic fatugue syndrome) and she now swears by it for a quick fix.

Archived