Irish People Perth Bound!!!!

Guest bcfrug

Hi All - we have finally decided on a date - late feb 13 and have provisionally booked a rental, picked flights etc. Anyone else heading around this time next year?

Hi, I'm already in oz but planning on relocating to Perth jan/feb next year. I have 3 daughters 5 7 and 16..You won't regret moving over it's a different world :biggrin:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Gincom,

How are you finding things over in oz? We have a 16 year old girl, 9 & 6 year old boys. How long are you over there, did your children settle ok?

Karen

Guest Duckymomo
Hi All

Just a few weeks left until the big move, just wondering if anyone could advise me on Shipping Companies, I have had quotes from Crown & Careline, any recommendations & experience from you would be great. We are also considering storage and Careline are offering us good rates.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

We used McGimpseys and found them excellent, our shipment arrived last week and only left Ireland on 8th April. They weren't the cheapest and when we phoned to tell them we were going with somebody else, only because of cost restrictions they reduced the price to within 100e of lower quote so we went with them and were very glad we did.

Good luck with it all.

Duckymomo

Guest Kerrymama

Hey guys,

We have been in Perth 2 months now. Our daughters have settled in well in school 3 & 10. We are in edgewater just wondering if there are any other Irish in the area ? My husband is on a FIFO 3/1. My brother has just landed on a working holiday visa for a year he is currently looking for work he is a very talented Carpenter if anybody knows of anything around. Pm for my number.

Thanks,

Carol.

Hey guys,

We have been in Perth 2 months now. Our daughters have settled in well in school 3 & 10. We are in edgewater just wondering if there are any other Irish in the area ? My husband is on a FIFO 3/1. My brother has just landed on a working holiday visa for a year he is currently looking for work he is a very talented Carpenter if anybody knows of anything around. Pm for my number.

Hi Carol,

Glad to hear ye are settling in ok. I am in Ocean Reef, think I'm not too far from you? We are here just 8 weeks now, my oh is also doing FIFO 2/1. I have a little boy who is 2, if you ever wanna meet up give me a shout.

karen x

Guest cloud923

Hi all,

We (me, husband, 3 kids (10,5,3) have just lodged our 176 visa application this week so are hoping to head over to Perth in Oct/Nov this year. Still not sure whether husband should go on ahead in Sept to find work, accommodation etc and for the kids and I to follow out in Nov or should we all go together? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone can recommend the best place to secure a short term rental (furnished) around Perth until we get sorted with something long term. How much should we be prepared to pay and for how long, I was thinking a month or 6 weeks. Does this seem a realistic time frame?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Guest Kerrymama
Hey guys,

Hi Carol,

Glad to hear ye are settling in ok. I am in Ocean Reef, think I'm not too far from you? We are here just 8 weeks now, my oh is also doing FIFO 2/1. I have a little boy who is 2, if you ever wanna meet up give me a shout.

karen x

Hi Karen,

Ocean Reef is not too far from me at all about 10 min, my daughter goes to school there. hope your settling in well. How are you finding the FIFO? Im hoping that my husband will eventually get down to 2/1.. the 3/1 is a bit long especially when you have small kids. But you do what you gotta do. I d love to meet up any day your free. I'll PM you my number.

Talk soon.

Carol. x

Hi Karen,

Ocean Reef is not too far from me at all about 10 min, my daughter goes to school there. hope your settling in well. How are you finding the FIFO? Im hoping that my husband will eventually get down to 2/1.. the 3/1 is a bit long especially when you have small kids. But you do what you gotta do. I d love to meet up any day your free. I'll PM you my number.

Talk soon.

Carol. x

Hi girls

Im down in Hillarys. I have a 3 (soon to be 4) yr old and a 20 mth old. PM me if you fancy meeting up for a cuppa!

Guest c to the g

Hey all myself 29 and my girlfriend 26 are moving to Perth I have been offered a job on a 457 visa but before they give me an official contract I have to pass a medical and obtain Garda clearance for the employer

do you normally need a Garda clearance for the 457 visa? and how long do the Garda take to get it out to you

because if I did not need Garda clearance we could go out on working holiday visas to speed things up while we are waiting for them? if the employer agreed to this that is.

any help much appreciated

Hi, we're hoping to go on this visa too - as far as I know if the employer wants it as part of the contract you have to get it. It can take several weeks to get so I'd apply for it now. There are two places for medicals, one in Cork and one in the Mater Private Dublin. What kind of job were you offered? Did you find it hard to find sponsorship?

Guest c to the g
Hi, we're hoping to go on this visa too - as far as I know if the employer wants it as part of the contract you have to get it. It can take several weeks to get so I'd apply for it now. There are two places for medicals, one in Cork and one in the Mater Private Dublin. What kind of job were you offered? Did you find it hard to find sponsorship?

I got offered a technical trainer job training heavy vehicle mechanics, I am a heavy vehicle mechanic by trade but went back to college and gained a degree in that field

It was not that difficult for me as my trade is in demand had maybe 3 or 4 showed interest but from what I am told it is much easier to get a job once your actually in Australia as it shows your committed

it really depends on what you or your partner are trained in and if that is in demand

The garda clearance only takes a few days and medicals as soon as you can organise them. On a working holiday visa you can only work for that employer for 6 months.

My OH is a coded welder so is in demand, i'm a newly trained occupational first aid/manual handling instructor. We're just waiting till we have enough money to support us so we can go, but would leave tomorrow if we could. good luck with it

Guest c to the g
My OH is a coded welder so is in demand, i'm a newly trained occupational first aid/manual handling instructor. We're just waiting till we have enough money to support us so we can go, but would leave tomorrow if we could. good luck with it

He should not have to much trouble finding work then so

good luck to you both hope it works out for you!

Guest Pippy

Hi all,

I have read through most of the posts on this thread and found them to be very helpful. We are a family of 4/6: husband, wife, 2 girls aged 5 and 1 and two dogs. We have been thinking for awhile now about the possibility of leaving Ireland for a few years at least as we cannot see a good future here at present and I have no faith that the government is going to be able or willing to sort it out. We have thus far decided to stick it out to see if things improved but they seem to only get worse. Perth seems to be the place to go but I have no idea where to start or if its even a good idea. I am a solicitor and my husband is a plasterer and we are lucky insofar as we can get by here in the most part but we want a better life which we can enjoy rather than just get by. We are willing to work hard and want to enjoy the benefits of that.

For any Irish that have moved already, has it been a good idea?

How can we go about getting jobs before we go?

Are there jobs for solicitors/plasterers?

What about schools, what area should we be looking at living in? We enjoy a bit of craic and would like to live in an Irish area if we can and send the kids to schools which would have a few Irish kids attending also. What about childcare, how does that work?

It is a difficult decision to move kids so far from home especially as my 5 year old is starting school this year but I am trying to think about whats best in the long term and I cannot see any improvements here.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are ok visa wise and will be able to get that sorted.

Thanks in advance.:em3600:

We moved over here in Sep last year, with a 4 now 5year old and a 1 now 2year old. Best thing ever the kids love it. The older fella started school here in Feb as he was 5 before the June 30th cut off. He loves it he goes to a lovely school. Perth has a big mix of migrants from all over the world. Bens class are pretty much half aussie half from other places, even the ones that are aussie alot of them are 1st generation or one of their parents are migrants. We chose a suburb with a good state primary and highschool as we don't want to go private. If you do want to go private the catholic schools are about $2500 a year I think. With state schools they have to take you if you live within their catchment but the private schools don't.

hi sharon only here 2 weeks in simlar way we came 2gether me huddy dave and daughter 5 shes startin school next week lookin at houses at mo in rockkinham

Guest Rocketship

Hi Shellybr, do you mind me asking where you are living and what school your 5 yr old goes to? We are moving to perth in October, my son will be 5 in Feb so will start pre primary then. Its very difficult trying to pick a school and area. Thanks a mil.

Hi Shellybr, do you mind me asking where you are living and what school your 5 yr old goes to? We are moving to perth in October, my son will be 5 in Feb so will start pre primary then. Its very difficult trying to pick a school and area. Thanks a mil.

We are in Hillarys NOR he goes to Hillarys Primary School. Nice suburb by the beach.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rocketship

Hiya

We are a family of 4, myself, oh, son (4), daughter (1). Heading to Perth in 4 weeks. We are shipping the container next week and were wondering if any of you had any tips on stuff to bring, stuff that you wished you stocked up on or left out that you should have brought...etc...

Also this might be a bit of a silly question but in terms of kids clothes, should we bring winter clothes, heavy jackets, tracksuits... Etc or are winters that cold? I've heard they can get quote cold... Trying to stock up on their clothes...

Really appreciate your feedback.

Guest Rocketship

Hi shellybr, we have shortlisted hillarys as one if the areas we'd like to live. Do you want me asking was it difficult to secure a rental property there? Also what kind of papers are needed to secure a lease?

Thanks for your help.

Hiya

We are a family of 4, myself, oh, son (4), daughter (1). Heading to Perth in 4 weeks. We are shipping the container next week and were wondering if any of you had any tips on stuff to bring, stuff that you wished you stocked up on or left out that you should have brought...etc...

Also this might be a bit of a silly question but in terms of kids clothes, should we bring winter clothes, heavy jackets, tracksuits... Etc or are winters that cold? I've heard they can get quote cold... Trying to stock up on their clothes...

Really appreciate your feedback.

Hi - was talking to a friend of mine in perth today and it's 3 degrees there at moment - she said stock up on all types of clothes especially warm stuff as evenings can get cold - runners, bedlinen etc very expensive but bring as much as you can. karen

Yes, we're hoping to go next march, one way or another we have to go before nov 13' as our eldest turns 18 then so it could get messy. We are dying to go though, husband just got 6 month job so hopefully we'll finally start saving. Are you excited about going?

Hi shellybr, we have shortlisted hillarys as one if the areas we'd like to live. Do you want me asking was it difficult to secure a rental property there? Also what kind of papers are needed to secure a lease?

Thanks for your help.

We were lucky and got the 1st one we applied for but it depends on your budget we got lucky with ours and our paying 450 a week but the rents have all gone up since then so you are looking at around 500+. When you go to the open home they give you an application form fill it in with as much detail as possible. I even wrote a little back story. You also need things like references we got lucky here and our short term rental lady offered to be one for us plus my brother is in sydney and a good friend is in Adeliade so had in country references. They also need to see your passport we also included my husbands work contract to prove he had a job and his salary. Hope all that helps.

Archived