Irish People Perth Bound!!!!

Guest bcfrug

I asked on another thread about transferring cash home, and got some good answers, but many of the suggestions are relevant to the UK stirling, not the euro. What do the rest of you do? I am making weekly transfers via the bank but its costing a bomb and exchange rate is crap. Any ideas?

Hi chiara. When you say exchange rate is crap what do you mean? Isn't the rate very gppd from Aussie dollar to Euro at the moment? Also why do you not send money less frequently to save on charges? Thanks for the info.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Alan,

Made appointment with visa agent for next week -so fingers crossed, thanks again. i'll let you know how we get on. karen

Guest PhilPom
I asked on another thread about transferring cash home, and got some good answers, but many of the suggestions are relevant to the UK stirling, not the euro. What do the rest of you do? I am making weekly transfers via the bank but its costing a bomb and exchange rate is crap. Any ideas?

I was sending money back to Ireland through the bank and I looked into Western Union, but WU seem to charge on a percentage rather than a flat fee and in the end it just made sense to continue using the bank.

Hope this helps a little

Phil

SH and GH, I've been sending 250 a week home, with a 27 dollar charge on top of that. Checking my BOI account yesterday, I was dismayed to see only 175 has been hitting each week. The exchange rate is more like 195 so I'm basically losing 50 dollars at least each week. Yes, I should do it less frequently, but dH is paid weekly and we're crap with money so chances are we'd have it spent by the end of the month. Hmm it's a dilemma.

Forex do a good exchange rate but from what I can decipher (hate reading rules regs and small print) they don't deal in euros for regular transactions and for foreign transactions the minimum is 2000 dollars. If anyone can contradict that, please do, save me the job of scrolling through all the info.

cheers

Guest Rocketship
Hi yes we sure did move to Perth only on 20th March so we are not here long....there seems to be loads of work but its knowing who to ring. my hubby has some work

starting monday 2nd april so we will see how it goes, but def is a brill place to be no regrets at all. will keep you updated on our adventure :)

Hi, totally new to this site so don't know if I'm posting correctly. We are hoping to move to perth in summer, oh is a carpenter, I'm a little nervous going over there with no job secured. Could you give me info as to how your husband secured a job & what's it like etc...(maybe pm me). Thanks a mill.

Guest CHRISEIRE

SH and GH, I've been sending 250 a week home, with a 27 dollar charge on top of that. Checking my BOI account yesterday, I was dismayed to see only 175 has been hitting each week. The exchange rate is more like 195 so I'm basically losing 50 dollars at least each week. Yes, I should do it less frequently, but dH is paid weekly and we're crap with money so chances are we'd have it spent by the end of the month. Hmm it's a dilemma. Forex do a good exchange rate but from what I can decipher (hate reading rules regs and small print) they don't deal in euros for regular transactions and for foreign transactions the minimum is 2000 dollars. If anyone can contradict that, please do, save me the job of scrolling through all the info.cheers
Hi first post just moved to Perth,in relation to money transfer I used currency fair for all mine and found them very good and easy to use,1 Euro at the moment is $1.271 and it dont matter how much you transfer its a flat fee of $4 for the transaction. $1 is getting you 0.7782 euroso $250 will get you 194.55 euro less a small fee dont know what it transferring it into euro account as I did it all the opposite way but cant imagineits too much probably couple of euro.You can put in for a higher rate and wait for someone to match it but that will all become clear if you start using it,just give it a look see what you think they have there offices in Ireland (http://www.currencyfair.com)

Guest Crosby Family

Hi Sinead,

How are you keeping? When are you moving over? We are her 6 months now and doing ok....I was using our Bank anz but was costing me 26 dollars per transaction....I have signed up for Currency fair so will see how it goes just need to scan my Passport, address on a bill etc......If you need any help with anything just let me know.....

Muriel

Guest Neado

My hubby and i are arriving in Perth in early may and have problems getting accommodation. Looks like we will have to go the hostel route for the first few weeks. Trying to get a room in a shared house but it is so hard. Any help out there?

Guest irishchicko

Hi Guys,WE use currency fair they are based in dublin we have used them its €3 per transfer no matter how much you send acrosss

Guest PhilPom
Hi anyone living in the woodvale area that would know where the irishdancing classes are held (what days times etc) I think it is the Ceide utpon school of dance

Thanks Stephanie

If you go to http://www.irishscene.com.au and on the homepage down the bottom left you can download the magazine which has a list of all the Irish dancing schools in Perth somewhere in there.

Hi Sinead,

How are you keeping? When are you moving over? We are her 6 months now and doing ok....I was using our Bank anz but was costing me 26 dollars per transaction....I have signed up for Currency fair so will see how it goes just need to scan my Passport, address on a bill etc......If you need any help with anything just let me know.....

Muriel

Hi Muriel,

How is all with you?? I've not read back on posts in a while so you may fill me in on how you and the family are getting on where ye settled etc. You went with ACE for shipping did'nt you? Are they good I hope so cos ive booked them too! Who did you use for insurance after?

My husband already out there went about 4 weeks ago has secured work on the mines now starting the 12th. Im still here flying out with Mia on the 1st June. 8 weeks today til we fly out, am starting to get a bit jittery now as as so close, am I doing the right thing, will we be able to manage etc. Dreading leaving every1 having a big family party for Mia's communion 4 days b4 we leave so gonna get all emotional as every1 will be there even my nan who is 88 will travel for it!

So i need you to give me loads of info back (mainly good now lol) so I can look on the brightside!

Sinead :)

My hubby and i are arriving in Perth in early may and have problems getting accommodation. Looks like we will have to go the hostel route for the first few weeks. Trying to get a room in a shared house but it is so hard. Any help out there?

There is a facebook page, Irish Families in Perth. Might be worth your while signing up to that and asking maybe? We have decided that DH is going on ahead next week to start work and sort house car and come back a month later. No way Im paying one thousand dollars a week for a short term rental!

There is a website Aussiemove.com loads of accommodation on it, all different prices. also letsperth, selectstays unsure of there prices.

Guest Crosby Family

Hi Sinead,

WE did use Ace found them ok it was just bad look with getting the container it left on the 21 sep and we got it 22 dec, was a mixture of delays in the port to a strike etc, not sure if you remember we had paid for the insurance twice in ireland and they never got it so we ended up with no insurance and a few bits broken, none of everything i packed myself was damaged, go figure!!!!!

Were is you Hubby based and where are you planning on living, are you still going to family in ellenbrook??

It will be hard leaving but you are doing the right thing.

Ian my hubby got work after a few weeks you may have see my arrival report on this page, good few hints and tips.Cam our son is loving it here he is out and about every day and a total different child, we had a scare last weekend he cam off his bike and had to get 5 staples in his head so our first ever trip to hospital and its in oz, now he wears his helmet all the time...

Weather is starting to calm down so it will be just nice when you arrive.

Karen/Hano is coming over next week not sure if you remember her, and Myra is here also and there is Jenny who arrived the same time as me and then there is Jacinta, we all live close to each other except myra she is in tapping now.. so when you get here we will all have to met up.

We are in Jindalee and love it 2 min down the hill to the beach and a bottle shop across the road lol what more could you ask for lol...

Ive been applying for work since end of Jan and as yet i dont have anything they are so slow to get back to you and most of the time they just dont bother, but im keeping my chin up and still applying.... so hopefully soon...

Anyways gotta go enjoy your easter and eat plenty of eggs as the chocolate is not the same here along with other things but you adjust ...

Talk soon,

Ps have a look at some of my older posts for any info ......But you are doing the right thing so enjoy your time at home before you start your new life in OZ and SHOP, SHOP SHOP till you drop before your container leaves...

Muriel :) x

Guest Duckymomo

Hi All, haven't been on in ages as we were so busy getting organised to leave Ireland. We arrived in Sunny Perth on Monday and stayed in apartment in city the past 2 nights. We're heading to Canning Vale later today and will be there for a month in accommodation arranged by OH work, he starts work on Monday. I see from previous posts that there are a few Irish in Canning Vale, Legselevn and Cazperth I think. If there's any more of you please contact me it would be lovely to meet up. We have to organise school, car and loads of other stuff yet but it will be good to have a place to call home for the next 4 weeks while we try to find something more permanent. Loving Perth so far, will keep ye posted.

Hi All, haven't been on in ages as we were so busy getting organised to leave Ireland. We arrived in Sunny Perth on Monday and stayed in apartment in city the past 2 nights. We're heading to Canning Vale later today and will be there for a month in accommodation arranged by OH work, he starts work on Monday. I see from previous posts that there are a few Irish in Canning Vale, Legselevn and Cazperth I think. If there's any more of you please contact me it would be lovely to meet up. We have to organise school, car and loads of other stuff yet but it will be good to have a place to call home for the next 4 weeks while we try to find something more permanent. Loving Perth so far, will keep ye posted.

Best of luck with yer new life...hope everything works out for ye:)

Hi Sinead,

WE did use Ace found them ok it was just bad look with getting the container it left on the 21 sep and we got it 22 dec, was a mixture of delays in the port to a strike etc, not sure if you remember we had paid for the insurance twice in ireland and they never got it so we ended up with no insurance and a few bits broken, none of everything i packed myself was damaged, go figure!!!!!

Were is you Hubby based and where are you planning on living, are you still going to family in ellenbrook??

It will be hard leaving but you are doing the right thing.

Ian my hubby got work after a few weeks you may have see my arrival report on this page, good few hints and tips.Cam our son is loving it here he is out and about every day and a total different child, we had a scare last weekend he cam off his bike and had to get 5 staples in his head so our first ever trip to hospital and its in oz, now he wears his helmet all the time...

Weather is starting to calm down so it will be just nice when you arrive.

Karen/Hano is coming over next week not sure if you remember her, and Myra is here also and there is Jenny who arrived the same time as me and then there is Jacinta, we all live close to each other except myra she is in tapping now.. so when you get here we will all have to met up.

We are in Jindalee and love it 2 min down the hill to the beach and a bottle shop across the road lol what more could you ask for lol...

Ive been applying for work since end of Jan and as yet i dont have anything they are so slow to get back to you and most of the time they just dont bother, but im keeping my chin up and still applying.... so hopefully soon...

Anyways gotta go enjoy your easter and eat plenty of eggs as the chocolate is not the same here along with other things but you adjust ...

Talk soon,

Ps have a look at some of my older posts for any info ......But you are doing the right thing so enjoy your time at home before you start your new life in OZ and SHOP, SHOP SHOP till you drop before your container leaves...

Muriel :) x

Hi Muriel,

Thanks for getting back to me! Hospital visits already well I suppose its all part of life eh! Yes still planning on staying with my Aunt and Uncle until shipping arrives - and have Mia enrolled in St Helena's School in Ellenbrook so will prob rent there or close by. O/H is in the Great Sandy Desert working on mines says its very hot.

Would love to arrange a get together when I've arrived so will keep in touch and we can plan something when I'm over the jet lag....is it really bad?? :(

Hope you hear news on the work front soon as I feel its important to start work asap to help ground me and make new friends etc....course there's always the money part as well! lol

Talk soon

Sinead x

Archived