So whos moving to Perth? Lets all chat

Guest jmorris

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mandajay

Hiya everyone and a happy new year..

We are on same boat as many of you! Never been before and our process has just begin to snowball!

After months of waiting and waiting.... Looks like we could be on our way in the next 6-8 weeks!

OMG!

Have decided to book a holiday rental and choose our permanent place when we arrive!

We have been looking at Baldivis, Secret Harbour and Rockinham. Anyone else heading this way?

Also got 2 kids that will be on diff schools so have decided to wait until we arrive to enrol them so that they feel involved in the decision making ....

Sorry I'm jabbering on!

Take care peeps x

we've also been looking at Secret harbour and balvidis but I've had mixed reports on the schools though. I've found some good homes a good prices in Banksia Grove but yet to get any school details. I am really looking forward to the move though, One great big adventure.

Hi to all,

Thought I would add to this thread as we are Perth bound.

We are not new to Australia and is such a beautiful country, Going over in Feb for another reccie but hoping with friends out there that I may get set up with work as a good friend of mine runs a recruitment agency so the reccie could turn out in me staying permanently with Sue returning to pack before joining me. If no work at that point we shall be packed and on our way in May this year.

If any of you guys are over there in Feb drop me a line if you fancy meeting up for chat and swap experiences etc!!!

We are also thinking of moving to Secret Harbour area but it will be where the work takes me I guess and to be honest we are just looking forward to the whole experience and obtaining the life we have longed for.

Well i guess i best get back to packing the non essentials

Good luck guys and Happy New Year!

Gary & Sue:chatterbox:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Me n mrs arrive in Perth in April on a 176 visa so will be for good.

Hope to chat with you and hear your story

Jon

Sorry to hear your news Lisa  i hope that you manage to find a way around it.

We are arriving on temp 457 24th December but hubby staying out to start his job and I'm coming home 14th jan to hopefully sell the house! (Please god!) I'm hoping to be back there April, if not sooner.

The emotional roller coaster is unbearable. But know it's all for a good reason.

Where in Perth are you heading for!

Hi all we are also heading your way, we are looking at secret harbour etc was also looking at joondaloop (not sure if spelt that right) lol we have to wait to get visa finalised thou as im preg at moment and wasnt allowed to have xray plus baby would also had to have own visa, this way we wait till born then can go on our application at no cost. Baby on way 4/4 so not much longer.

We really like the look of secret harbour and surrounding areas, we have two kids at moment both boys one aged 11 and one aged 4.

So schools are important to us too. Hubby is an electrician but mainly works on fire alarms and this is what he wants to stick to in a managerial role rather than on the tools. Great to see so many people moving to same area.

Looks like I will need to go out to Perth if I want to get a job organised through an agency, I've had 4 emails back today and they all say them same (we will get you something when you get out here). Starting to look at flights now.

is it that bad to have a trade

i,m a carpenter self employed. employed different trades built houses, extension,

priced a variety of large contracts run them learnt how to estimate all types of jobs built a lovely house

made a great living at it Pride in my work along with everyone in the building trade that i know as well

so would think twice about down crying the trades

Guest Pamela123

no certainly not decrying trades, half of my family are involved in trades, what I mean is that some of these schools mentioned here don't perform that well academically, so if you have a bright child who wishes to pursue other options rather than go to college for half the week to learn a trade, then I don't see that as being fair, have you been to visit any of these schools compared to the top state schools in Perth to see the difference in the standard of the education? State Education, politics/government tied together, they are crying out for people for certain occupations, so why wouldn't they push that through certain schools compared to others, it only makes sense from a financial and political point of view. Everyone wants the best for their children so why not send them to the best state school compared to the ones at the bottom of the league tables?

That not what your orginal post was about with all due respect.

if your that bothered stump up the money for private education

if thats what it take to get the good education then surely there no argument

strike me that there too many moaning about state school but not will to do anything

the world is what you make it

clarkson school has improoved a lot and its bad rep is from years ago , out of all the schools mentioned beldridge had the worst rep ,kinross is a middle school and feeds mindarie college for grade 11/12 , i sent my kids to private schools in asia when i was there , never had my hand out of my pocket they were also in the catholic school system over here , when we came back from living in sydney my kids came back to prinderville and st simon peter , , after one year at prinderville i took my eldest out of it and sent her to oceanreef , many reasons eg they were teaching them that they were better than other kids especially kids from oceanreef high , took the deputy to task about that no one is better than any one else , they may be smarter than some one the maybe more sporty than some one but they are no better !!!!

also the drug problem , all senior schools are going to have alcohol drug and bullying problems but if they wont admit to it then they have an even bigger problem , you cant address a problem unless you admit to having it even on a small scale .

ocesnreef is a pretty good school they used to be better in the uni entrant percentages than prinderville i have no idea what they are like now as my youngest is 20 this week

cost of living i dont notice after 30 years but i do shop for a lot of my fruit and veg at malaga markets its nice and fresh , i buy my joints of top side on special aat $ 7.99 a kilo and freeze them , i buy fillet as a whole fillet steak at $ 22.00 a kilo and butter fly it myself and freeze it .

i get my petrol on a mon or tues as its cheaper when you live here you get to find the cheaper places to go and shop ,after a few months

Guest Pamela123
That not what your orginal post was about with all due respect.

if your that bothered stump up the money for private education

if thats what it take to get the good education then surely there no argument

strike me that there too many moaning about state school but not will to do anything

the world is what you make it

As you stated you are a successful carpenter who would ob want the best for his children, it is a personal choice as to whether you choose to go private, but paying private school fees down here in Perth isn't the same as back home in the UK, most private schools are selective back home in the UK, here there are no entrance exams in most of the schools, pay the money and your in.. so standards aren't that high

Having experience of both schools, as a teacher and a parent, I did not have the same experience.

As a teacher I witnessed major problems in Kinross College, which as a school, I know would not have passed either HMIE/Ofsted inspections back in the UK. The morale of the teachers was extremely low and one of the main complaints by teachers in the school was the horrendous lack of discipline. I found this myself mainly to be due to the lack of one main school discipline policy and its lack of implementation. I know from having had a child attending the school, that the pupils consider it a dream school, but this is due to the fact that they are the ones that run it. Pupils do not learn anything of value in regard to preparing them for Senior School and further education and as my child stated “This school is like a holiday camp”.

As a teacher I was shocked at the total unprofessionalism within the school with regard to lack of clarity in school policy and lack of concern for Health and Safety issues. If you are content with this type of education for your children, then I wish you all the best, but as a teacher, who feels every child has the potential to achieve their best and has the right to quality education I regard this school as failing in its duty to provide our children with that right.

If you as parents were able to view the school in operation on a daily basis, I think your eyes would be opened and your opinions be changed as to its merits.

As to the Mindarie Senior College I again have experience with this school and find its promotion as a school of excellence quite farcical. I would like to know with which countries and criteria it has been compared to in order to declare itself as a “world class school”. Academically speaking the statistics speak for themselves as it does not rank highly in the league tables with regard to TEE courses. However, the majority of the school population in Mindarie leave school with no nationally or more importantly internationally recognised certificates. If it is to be believed that Mindarie Senior College is a world class school, then the majority of its pupils would be leaving school with internationally recognised qualifications. In reality, over 75% of the school population in Mindarie are following what is termed “Whole School Education”. This involves only internal assessment by the teachers and is not compared nationally as TEE is.

Unlike WA, both Scotland & the rest of the UK provide education systems where every pupil is afforded the opportunity to gain national and internationally recognised qualifications. This therefore allows children to gain opportunity to further education and employment worldwide, whereas those doing “whole school” in WA are confined to Australia.

Comparing the progression from Kinross to Mindarie you will encounter if your children are doing TEE that they have not been provided the required standard of education for TEE. This is supported by Mindarie College through their use of study worksheets during the summer holidays prior to entering Year 11 and initial tests in the first week of Year 11. If your kids do not maintain in our eyes, an unreasonably high standard throughout the year, the staff encourage the pupils to drop out of their courses without providing encouragement and motivation to improve. This as a teacher I find very unsettling as every pupil within my class regardless of ability was always encouraged to do their best. If a pupil was struggling, it was my responsibility as a teacher to assist the child in their learning and not give up on them. This is not generally the case at Mindarie Senior College.

Great post, im well shocked at the stand of the schools i really think need to look at the league tables and choose areas to live around these as education is so important, we dont mind private or state which ever is best for kids is more important much more research needed i think.

We are looking at the school tables and then looking at the areas around them but is very hard from the UK, another reason for getting out to Perth and get organised. My dilema at the moment is that I was offered a great job today working 18 on 10 off in the Shetlands with a 2 year fixed term contract. Do I take it and validate in the summer or get out now and get schools and homes organised?

Guest rrwilky
As you stated you are a successful carpenter who would ob want the best for his children, it is a personal choice as to whether you choose to go private, but paying private school fees down here in Perth isn't the same as back home in the UK, most private schools are selective back home in the UK, here there are no entrance exams in most of the schools, pay the money and your in.. so standards aren't that high

Having experience of both schools, as a teacher and a parent, I did not have the same experience.

As a teacher I witnessed major problems in Kinross College, which as a school, I know would not have passed either HMIE/Ofsted inspections back in the UK. The morale of the teachers was extremely low and one of the main complaints by teachers in the school was the horrendous lack of discipline. I found this myself mainly to be due to the lack of one main school discipline policy and its lack of implementation. I know from having had a child attending the school, that the pupils consider it a dream school, but this is due to the fact that they are the ones that run it. Pupils do not learn anything of value in regard to preparing them for Senior School and further education and as my child stated “This school is like a holiday camp”.

As a teacher I was shocked at the total unprofessionalism within the school with regard to lack of clarity in school policy and lack of concern for Health and Safety issues. If you are content with this type of education for your children, then I wish you all the best, but as a teacher, who feels every child has the potential to achieve their best and has the right to quality education I regard this school as failing in its duty to provide our children with that right.

If you as parents were able to view the school in operation on a daily basis, I think your eyes would be opened and your opinions be changed as to its merits.

As to the Mindarie Senior College I again have experience with this school and find its promotion as a school of excellence quite farcical. I would like to know with which countries and criteria it has been compared to in order to declare itself as a “world class school”. Academically speaking the statistics speak for themselves as it does not rank highly in the league tables with regard to TEE courses. However, the majority of the school population in Mindarie leave school with no nationally or more importantly internationally recognised certificates. If it is to be believed that Mindarie Senior College is a world class school, then the majority of its pupils would be leaving school with internationally recognised qualifications. In reality, over 75% of the school population in Mindarie are following what is termed “Whole School Education”. This involves only internal assessment by the teachers and is not compared nationally as TEE is.

Unlike WA, both Scotland & the rest of the UK provide education systems where every pupil is afforded the opportunity to gain national and internationally recognised qualifications. This therefore allows children to gain opportunity to further education and employment worldwide, whereas those doing “whole school” in WA are confined to Australia.

Comparing the progression from Kinross to Mindarie you will encounter if your children are doing TEE that they have not been provided the required standard of education for TEE. This is supported by Mindarie College through their use of study worksheets during the summer holidays prior to entering Year 11 and initial tests in the first week of Year 11. If your kids do not maintain in our eyes, an unreasonably high standard throughout the year, the staff encourage the pupils to drop out of their courses without providing encouragement and motivation to improve. This as a teacher I find very unsettling as every pupil within my class regardless of ability was always encouraged to do their best. If a pupil was struggling, it was my responsibility as a teacher to assist the child in their learning and not give up on them. This is not generally the case at Mindarie Senior College.

We are headed out to Perth as well hopefully at the end of the year, still lots to do though, but which schools would you recommend? I have three children ages 4, 5 and 10??

Archived