So whos moving to Perth? Lets all chat

Guest jmorris

hi hayley how exciting for u guys...im from solihull where near bham are u?my oh is a chippy so would be great to hear how your hubby gets on with work?did u love perth when u went?we only been eastcoast so never wa so very scary but exciting,we land in jan so noy long know:biggrin:

hi jane we are in halesowen submitted application in june waiting for a co :SLEEP:

how long did it take you to get your visa? we are going over in feb hopeing to stay for 3 weeks to do a reccie trip. where about in perth you going?

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest janeubu
hi jane we are in halesowen submitted application in june waiting for a co :SLEEP:

how long did it take you to get your visa? we are going over in feb hopeing to stay for 3 weeks to do a reccie trip. where about in perth you going?

hi ya it took us 2yrs and thats ss visa for wa,not sure will have a look as far as secret harbour and up as far as hillarys i think,will be in rental for first six weeks,very mixed emotions but have got to give it ago,visas seem to have speeded up soo good luck:smile:keep us updated.

Hi everyone,

How are you all doing? I hope the planning/moving/arriving/settling in is all going okay for everyone and it's not too stressful.

Thought I'd join this thread now as we (Hev and Paul) are on our way to Perth for good (all things being well) in 6 months and 2 weeks time! Can't believe we're able to count down to it!! Makes me a little stressed thinking of all the things we've still got to sort out between now and then! :wacko: So far the flights and the furnished rental for the first 6 weeks are booked and that's it! 3 removal companies are coming to do surveys this week and another 3 in a weeks time (I'm testing them all!).

I think the most stressful thing apart from leaving friends and family is going to be handing in my notice at work. I'm not looking forward to it at all as I feel like I've been betraying them all this time :sad:. Not to mention the stress of finding a new job in Oz! Oh dear :swoon:

I hope it's all going well for everyone.

Good luck

Hev x

Guest Natty T
hi all,

well we're finally here in PERTH only just (me, wife and 2 kids 10+7), we arrived on 14th june started work yesterday in perth cbd and have signed a rental for 4x2 unfurnished in joondalup....

a fun weekend ahead hoping to be in for kids starting school on Monday, currently trying to decide if should rental main items or hire a UTE and grab stuff of gumtree... as have a company car and arrived to pickup washing machine and thing wouldnt fit actually none of big items will fit

if anyone can recommend a reasonable rental company for the big items, sofa, beds, fridge etc could you please PM me...

oh if any other families are interested in meeting up again please PM me, we're an easy going N. Ireland family :)

Hi, hope its going well in Perth. We are heading over in Jan 12, hubby is from N. Ireland, hes a chippy. We have 4 children and are looking around Joondalup area. Any help and info would be much appreciated.

Guest Sandisonsonthemove
Hi everyone,

How are you all doing? I hope the planning/moving/arriving/settling in is all going okay for everyone and it's not too stressful.

Thought I'd join this thread now as we (Hev and Paul) are on our way to Perth for good (all things being well) in 6 months and 2 weeks time! Can't believe we're able to count down to it!! Makes me a little stressed thinking of all the things we've still got to sort out between now and then! :wacko: So far the flights and the furnished rental for the first 6 weeks are booked and that's it! 3 removal companies are coming to do surveys this week and another 3 in a weeks time (I'm testing them all!).

I think the most stressful thing apart from leaving friends and family is going to be handing in my notice at work. I'm not looking forward to it at all as I feel like I've been betraying them all this time :sad:. Not to mention the stress of finding a new job in Oz! Oh dear :swoon:

Good luck

Hev x

Hi Hev

Wow things coming together now for you. We have to sell our house before we can think about all the booking and moving but I am dreading it.

I know what you mean about feeling like you have been betraying your work mates. I feel like that too. I had my appraisal recently and had to act like I was going to be there for years, state what I expected, ranted about lack of pay rises etc etc and I felt so deceitful. The last two questions were where do you want to be in one year to which I said fully qualified (Im a trainee lawyer) which I will be by end of October and then 5 years time to which I had to answer 'who knows' :err:

Good luck with the rest of your planning - that 6 months and 2 weeks will soon go.

Dx

Guest Sandisonsonthemove
Hi Donna, My name is Jo, OH Steve, Mattt 13 and Dan 17. I was in the same boat as you until we managed to sell our house 3 wks ago, I felt really deceitful to work and thought I would feel really relieved when I told them but now I feel really sad to be leaving them as it is all so real now it is out in the open - no going back.

Our application process took 3.5 years and was stressful but no where near as bad as I am now and I feel its gonna get worse as the emotions kick in. Glad I have people in the same situation to chat to on here.

Really hope you sell your house soon

Jo

Hi Jo

This forum is a life saver really as it reminds you that you are not the only one feeling the way you feel. It helps immensely.

Well done on selling your house its an achievement at the moment isn't it! Are your boys pleased to be going? My boy is desperate to get over there now. I think he can almost taste the sea water!!!

Heres to all of us trying to sell our houses - I know it will happen soon for all of us.

Keep in touch

Dx

Guest lizziebumble

me my hubby and 2 kids are heading to perth got medicals next week so hopefully might get a date then fingers crossed we are going to perth success :biggrin:

Hi Hev

Wow things coming together now for you. We have to sell our house before we can think about all the booking and moving but I am dreading it.

I know what you mean about feeling like you have been betraying your work mates. I feel like that too. I had my appraisal recently and had to act like I was going to be there for years, state what I expected, ranted about lack of pay rises etc etc and I felt so deceitful. The last two questions were where do you want to be in one year to which I said fully qualified (Im a trainee lawyer) which I will be by end of October and then 5 years time to which I had to answer 'who knows' :err:

Good luck with the rest of your planning - that 6 months and 2 weeks will soon go.

Dx

Hi Sandisonsonthemove,

Yes, things are moving pretty quick for us now. I'm currently sorting through all my junk and finding lots of things that I've been meaning to do (e.g putting photos in to albums) for the past ten years and now I've only got 6 months left to do them it! :eek: I don't want these things to follow me to Oz so this is the final straw to make me finish my half done jobs! Oh well, this is what you get for procrastinating I guess.

I've being going through a similar thing to you. I've got work planned up until March at the moment so trying to get as much of it done as possible so I don't leave them with too many loose ends. I'm also having to be very careful what I say at the moment as I'm so close to blurting something about Oz out by mistake. I get on really well with my colleagues so I sometimes I forget whose company I'm in. I guess it will be good to tell them though as it'll be another load off my mind!

Anyway I hope your house sale goes well. Keep in touch about your plans.

Good luck and take care

Hev x

Guest NewJo
Hi Jo

This forum is a life saver really as it reminds you that you are not the only one feeling the way you feel. It helps immensely.

Well done on selling your house its an achievement at the moment isn't it! Are your boys pleased to be going? My boy is desperate to get over there now. I think he can almost taste the sea water!!!

Heres to all of us trying to sell our houses - I know it will happen soon for all of us.

Keep in touch

Dx

Hi

Selling the house as quick as we have was a massive surprise we were just about to book flights to validate but now need now. My eldest is desperate to get there but his worries are kicking in, had a few tears over worrying about meeting people and making friends he will be 18 so a tough age - but he is going to go to TAFE so should be ok. Youngest is so laid back take him months to realise we have moved ha ha !!

I really hope you sell soon - then the panic kicks in - we still have no rental to move to can't do that until we exchange contracts.

Keep me updated on your progress it is, as you say, a great forum to share experiences, worries and information.

Jo x

Guest NewJo
Yes we were like that when we knew we were coming across, its very daunting just arriving here with just a suitcase and nothing else. We have been here 16 months now in Perth and had a very stressful first few weeks getting everything sorted. It does get better with time. The hard part is trying to get a rental, a job and schools all in the same area at the same time without having to travel long distances. We decided which area we wanted to live in then got the rental, then the school and then the jobs. Our son is 15 and we got him into Maranatha Christian College which is a private school not far from where we live. I drop him off in the morning on the way to work and then he gets the bus back and lets himself in before we get home again. He seems to really like it there. He does quite a lot of outdoor education which involves Khayaking, camping and swimming. He's also going to Melbourne in September with the school as part of his history lessons!

We booked a furnished rental from the UK to stay in for the first month that we were here to give us chance to see where we wanted to be. Eight months after being here we bought our own house in Secret Harbour. We were sick of being dictated to by Real Estate Agents who are all take and no give and we wanted somewhere we could call our own and do with as we wanted. If you want any help with anything just get in touch. Do you know which part of Perth you want to be in as its quite a big place? :biggrin:

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I am worried about getting the rental, jobs and schools but like you say it should all come together, its the thought of not knowing where to look when we get there aswell. Hence, linking up with contacts on here is great.

We have been looking at Secret Harbour it is top of our list strangely enough. My husband is a chef and I am a PA so hoping to pick up work quick, any kind will do to get us going.

Where did you find your furnished rental to book for when you arrived, I know I will need to book somewhere as soon as I book flights which should be in the few weeks, just waiting for the house sale to get to the point of no return, just in case !!

Thanks for the offer of help and yes I will take you up on it. Like I said we are looking in the area that you live so any information is appreciated. You can always PM me.

Keep in touch

Jo x

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I am worried about getting the rental, jobs and schools but like you say it should all come together, its the thought of not knowing where to look when we get there aswell. Hence, linking up with contacts on here is great.

We have been looking at Secret Harbour it is top of our list strangely enough. My husband is a chef and I am a PA so hoping to pick up work quick, any kind will do to get us going.

Where did you find your furnished rental to book for when you arrived, I know I will need to book somewhere as soon as I book flights which should be in the few weeks, just waiting for the house sale to get to the point of no return, just in case !!

Thanks for the offer of help and yes I will take you up on it. Like I said we are looking in the area that you live so any information is appreciated. You can always PM me.

Keep in touch

Jo x

Hi Jo

I looked on a website called Stayz.com and got my rental off there. There is also Gumtree Perth which sells and advertises just about everything you need. If you see something and need some sort of validation of it lets say, to check its genuine, just let me know and also if you are looking for something specifically let me know and i will keep an eye out for you and keep you informed. Feel free to PM me if you want.

Always happy to help as I know how i felt in the same position :wink:

Hi

We're moving to Perth in 2-3 months, my DH has been offered a job on a FIFO basis initially so am keen to hear from anyone who is also doing that and how they find it.

We are both 38 and have 5 children (10,8,6,4, 10 months) and are all incredibly excited about the move. Luckily the company are putting us up for the first 6 weeks so we can get a feel for the place and look at schools etc..

Look forward to meeting some of you when we get there!

C

Hi there,

Well our lot will all be heading out hopefully summer 2012, waiting for one son to finish his A levels and one to finish his apprenticeship ! However my OH is going over in Sept 11, to start in his line of work and hopefully start saving over there. With him being there he will be able to have a good look around at areas and other stuff. We have friends in Leeming (where we stayed at xmas and loved it !) and my Oh has family in Attadale (which is nice but expensive ).

We all wish we could just go but unfortunately things are not that simple. Havent really looked at schools although looked at Murdoch Uni (people say this has a good reputation).

Things are still a bit up in the air, not knowing what to do and when. We are going to rent out our house initially and go for a rental in Oz, due to the market !

Its definitely scary times though !!!!!

Guest Sandisonsonthemove
Hi

Selling the house as quick as we have was a massive surprise we were just about to book flights to validate but now need now. My eldest is desperate to get there but his worries are kicking in, had a few tears over worrying about meeting people and making friends he will be 18 so a tough age - but he is going to go to TAFE so should be ok. Youngest is so laid back take him months to realise we have moved ha ha !!

I really hope you sell soon - then the panic kicks in - we still have no rental to move to can't do that until we exchange contracts.

Keep me updated on your progress it is, as you say, a great forum to share experiences, worries and information.

Jo x

Hi Jo

Good news on our house sale front - sold to first viewer over the weekend. Relieved but now the hard work starts. Hope you get to exchange soon as at least you know there is no going back.

Im sure your eldest will be fine when he gets there and gets involved with TAFE and makes friends. I read a post on here a long while ago that said people in Oz tend to make their lifelong friends in post school education like TAFE so I am sure he will soon spend more time out of the house than in it.

I see your OH is a chef - so is mine! Where is OH wanting to work when you get there - FIFO or restaurant ??? I wish we could get a job in place before we get there but they seem to want to know when you are going to be there first.

Keep in touch.

Donna x

Guest Sandisonsonthemove
Hi Sandisonsonthemove,

Yes, things are moving pretty quick for us now. I'm currently sorting through all my junk and finding lots of things that I've been meaning to do (e.g putting photos in to albums) for the past ten years and now I've only got 6 months left to do them it! :eek: I don't want these things to follow me to Oz so this is the final straw to make me finish my half done jobs! Oh well, this is what you get for procrastinating I guess.

I've being going through a similar thing to you. I've got work planned up until March at the moment so trying to get as much of it done as possible so I don't leave them with too many loose ends. I'm also having to be very careful what I say at the moment as I'm so close to blurting something about Oz out by mistake. I get on really well with my colleagues so I sometimes I forget whose company I'm in. I guess it will be good to tell them though as it'll be another load off my mind!

Anyway I hope your house sale goes well. Keep in touch about your plans.

Good luck and take care

Hev x

Hi Hev

Well we have sold the house subject to contract so the house clearance and jobs we have been putting off need to be done now. It is such a relief but scary just the same.

Getting close to having to tell work I am leaving which is going to be hard. They are not the best firm in the world but I have been there 7 years and am close to a lot of them.

Never mind the future is what matters and my friends will still be friends when we leave.

Good luck with your sorting - think of me at the weekend clearing the loft and the shed

Donna x

Guest NewJo
Hi Jo

Good news on our house sale front - sold to first viewer over the weekend. Relieved but now the hard work starts. Hope you get to exchange soon as at least you know there is no going back.

Im sure your eldest will be fine when he gets there and gets involved with TAFE and makes friends. I read a post on here a long while ago that said people in Oz tend to make their lifelong friends in post school education like TAFE so I am sure he will soon spend more time out of the house than in it.

I see your OH is a chef - so is mine! Where is OH wanting to work when you get there - FIFO or restaurant ??? I wish we could get a job in place before we get there but they seem to want to know when you are going to be there first.

Keep in touch.

Donna x

Hi Donna:jiggy:

Wow really pleased for you that is great news. We are gradually clearing stuff out now. Still waiting on an exchange date but all seems to be going well.

How funny that both OH's are chef's. Steve is looking at FIFO initially but will take whatever when he first gets there but like you say its hard to get a job for a chef before you get there. I also see you wanted to go to QLD first - so did we that is where my closest friend lives but we were too late to get QLD SS so went for WA SS instead. We have a few things in common already - great !!

My eldest is doing ok he is just struggling with emotions at the mo but will be fine, I'm sure.

Keep in touch

Jo

Guest NewJo
Hi everyone,

Good luck

Hev x

Hi Hev

We are moving over in 6months also, where you heading? You seem so organised we haven't even got to the stage of booking a furnished rental yet, or flights, still waiting for the house sale to get to the point of no return then I can do it. Out of interest I am looking for any advice of getting a furnished rental if you have any.

Also on your flights did you get any extra luggage etc for emigrating I have heard you can get this?

We have had one quote so far for removals and looking at getting another couple once we are in a rented house here.

I have just told my work and I have been here 20 years altho only in this current job 1 year but I love it and it is the best job I have had at this company. It was hard but they have been so understanding and good about it - even making sure that if I change my mind once I have officially resigned I can stay in a job here. Its actually harder with them being so good about it :sad:

Not even thinking about leaving friends and family at the moment - I will deal with that one when I really have to . :wacko:

Keep in touch

Jo

Hi Hev

We are moving over in 6months also, where you heading? You seem so organised we haven't even got to the stage of booking a furnished rental yet, or flights, still waiting for the house sale to get to the point of no return then I can do it. Out of interest I am looking for any advice of getting a furnished rental if you have any.

Also on your flights did you get any extra luggage etc for emigrating I have heard you can get this?

We have had one quote so far for removals and looking at getting another couple once we are in a rented house here.

I have just told my work and I have been here 20 years altho only in this current job 1 year but I love it and it is the best job I have had at this company. It was hard but they have been so understanding and good about it - even making sure that if I change my mind once I have officially resigned I can stay in a job here. Its actually harder with them being so good about it :sad:

Not even thinking about leaving friends and family at the moment - I will deal with that one when I really have to . :wacko:

Keep in touch

Jo

Hi Jo,

How are you? We are starting off in the Northern Suburbs (furnished rental in Ocean reef for first 6 weeks) of Perth but not sure where we will end up. Ideally we'd like to be around Peel region.

I may come across as being organised but I asure you I'm not:wink:!

We're renting so no house to sell, just going to give the landlord 4 weeks notice. We decided to start with the plane tickets and work backwards which seemed like a good idea at the time but I'm a little bit worried as we've got to have everything ready by then!

We've booked our flights with Singapore Airlines who have a 40kg baggage allowance for those who emigrating. It's not on their website so I emailed them to check. To qualify you have to have an unvalidated visa sticker in your pasportso this suits us as we are moving over and validating at the same time. I also looked at Emirates as the allowance is 30kg per person in economy and we also contacted the IOM (International Organisation for Migration) http://www.iom.int/jahia/Jahia/lang/en/pid/1 who gave us a quote for a flight with Emirates and 40kg baggage (although IOM don't allow you to have a stop over). We chose Singapore Airlines as it was the cheapest at that time.

With regards to a furnished rental we looked at:

http://www.stayz.com.au/

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/

Aussiemove (http://www.aussiemove.com/city/city.asp?c=7&f=3)

http://www.lets-perth.com/

Basically I just did a whole lot of googleing and settled with one from holidaylettings.co.uk. I was worried about the amount of money I had to transfer as a deposit but I phoned the owner up and she put me at ease so I'm hoping I made a good choice.

Thank you for sharing with me about your work. If you don't mind me asking how much notice have you given them please? I was thinking that 3 months would be okay. I want to give them plenty of time so they can find a replacement but I don't want to get pushed out too soon either.

Choosing a removal company is also proving to be stressful. OH has left it my capable hands :laugh: as it's mainly all my stuff (I'm the hoarder!) and he's not sentimental about anything. So my problem is I want to meet the packers & un-packers before I decide as they're the ones I've got to be able to trust with my belongings! Oh dear :wacko: I seem to be using this smiley a lot recently!

I hope you sell your house okay.

Keep in touch.

Hev x

Hi Hev

Well we have sold the house subject to contract so the house clearance and jobs we have been putting off need to be done now. It is such a relief but scary just the same.

Getting close to having to tell work I am leaving which is going to be hard. They are not the best firm in the world but I have been there 7 years and am close to a lot of them.

Never mind the future is what matters and my friends will still be friends when we leave.

Good luck with your sorting - think of me at the weekend clearing the loft and the shed

Donna x

Hi Donna,

Congratulations on the sale of your house :biggrin:. I'm sure it must be a relief but also emotional. I don't like our flat we're renting at all but I'm sure I'll miss it's familiarity.

Good luck with your loft and garage sorting (makes my spare room sorting seem pathetic!).

When are you planning to move to W.A?

Take care

Hev x

• 5 months later...
Guest jmorris
Well to be honest everyone has been very supportive to us so we are lucky that way.

We have always liked the idea of moving to Oz but i guess in recent years we have come to the conclusion that we will both probably have to continue working full time until we are 65 if we want any kind of satisfactory lifestyle here in Ireland.

We both work very hard and are on good salarys but still we tend to be in a rat race. We work hard and just manage to get by. We think that we will have a slightly different lifestyle in Oz and we both plan to work in Oz but maybe my wife may work part time. We feel that we can have more family time together in Oz and far less expensive. There is no free fun in Ireland to be honest. Parks are wet and cold and vandalised. The beaches are terrible here and just Ireland is a very negative place to be bringing up Kids so thats the main reason. We dont plan on making a fortune in Oz or do we expect a wonderfull life but just a slightly more enjoyable one. We both love the outdoors and camping etc so feel this is a good move for us. Thats it in a nutshell. Oh plus the healthcare in Oz is far better than Ireland IMO so there a many factors so time will tell i guess.

Cheers

Hi

Hi ya

So we are livi g in duncraig, where r u ? U finding it all ok?

Guest jmorris

Hi all might be nice to meet up now some of us are settling. Maybe if we add to the list some details of areas then we could see who is close?

Jay and Danny 34&33 with 2 boys(7&3) living in duncraig

Hi All, nice to hear from other people going out next year (2012). We are planning to move around July after the schools are out and we get the house sold (big worry) although I may go out earlier if I can get a job organised, this would allow me to get a house arranged before the OH and kids arrive, think it will be horrible if the 4 of us arrive and no ones knows where to go!! Not sure where we plan to go (NOR or SOR) but we would love to be within 10min of the beach and obviously close to a good high school, any help on the schools would be great, I started a spread sheet that may help me.

until we arrive in Perth. The last few months have flown by and now I feel like I don't have enough time to get everything done. We have managed to get a holiday let for the first 3months, to give us time to settle and find jobs, get kids in school etc.

We are moving to Rockingham, not sure what its like but we have had friends check it out and all looking good so far.

Shippers arrive on 16th Jan and we fly on 23rd Jan. Getting really nervous and scared now - anyone got any tips or hints on stuff we need to do when we arrive.

Not been on here for so long so hope everyone else is getting on well with their moves.

Here's to 2012

Jo x:twitcy:

Guest rachie27

hi i am a nurse with a 457 visa i fly from the uk on 11th feb scared now. hubby gonna follow me out 6 weeks later. i start my job on 20th feb so all go now.

Archived