Plane crash, believed to be Qantas

kernow43

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Engine failures do happen, so it's certainly not necessarily something related specifically to the A380. The BBC article raised the point about the Indonesian volcano eruption - that's suspended a lot of flights so maybe it was related to this. That's all just supposition though.

I'm sure they'll figure it out, hopefully sooner rather than later. But I think Qantas have reacted appropriately - putting safety first.

The aircraft can fly on just two engines and it looks like the pilots handled it very well. No one was hurt and that's the main thing.

Looking at the photos at least one fan blade seems to have punctured the leading edge of the wing. This incident could have been a lot worse, and I suspect some excellent airmanship contributed to what has to be a positive outcome for all on board.

Hopefully it was just a bird strike. Time will tell.

Interesting that all airlines whose A380 engines are Rolls Royce have decided to ground their A380s but the airlines with A380 Engine Alliance engines are continuing to fly. Shows they must be assuming it's something to do with the engine or otherwise external factors (like fleabo says maybe bird strike or some kind of debri).

Interesting that all airlines whose A380 engines are Rolls Royce have decided to ground their A380s but the airlines with A380 Engine Alliance engines are continuing to fly. Shows they must be assuming it's something to do with the engine or otherwise external factors (like fleabo says maybe bird strike or some kind of debri).

Apparently the Lufthansa A380's have Rolls Royce engines and they're still flying. I think I might be trying to find another way of getting there if I was flying with them...... just in case...:eek:

Apparently the Lufthansa A380's have Rolls Royce engines and they're still flying. I think I might be trying to find another way of getting there if I was flying with them...... just in case...:eek:

Would prob be a good idea; I read on the BBC that it's "likely" Lufthansa will ground its A380s too! Stressful for people flying soon!

It's made my daughter, who's scared of flying, even worse. We were on the first Qantas A380 flight from London ot Sydney and when she saw the pictures on tv this morning she turned white and said 'That could be the one we were on'. 1 in 6 chance I suppose. She'll be even worse next time we fly!

It must have been very frightening for everyone.

It's made my daughter, who's scared of flying, even worse. We were on the first Qantas A380 flight from London ot Sydney and when she saw the pictures on tv this morning she turned white and said 'That could be the one we were on'. 1 in 6 chance I suppose. She'll be even worse next time we fly!

It must have been very frightening for everyone.

Probably best not to tell your daughter this, but I think the chances you were on that particular plane are less than 1 in 6, more like 1 in 2 - as airlines usually use certain aircraft for certain flights and don't tend to swap them around. I was on flight QF32 about 7 weeks ago so it is pretty crazy!

The plane was fantastic though and while engine failures of this calibre are very rare, they do happen, though there is usually an identifiable cause and I'm sure they'll all be racing to find out what that is. My bf is also quite a nervous flier but he loved the A380 so I'm hoping this doesn't set back all nervous fliers!

its the poms fault!!! :goofy:

no one know what the cause is but its gotta be the poms and their crappy rolls royce engines:goofy:

I thought that Rolls Royce had moved from UK to like India, apparently not all A380 aircraft use Rolls Royce engines.

Rolls royce is a derby company and that is were the engines are still built for the a380 and also the qantas 747's and this is not the qantas/rolls royce first engine issue

In August a Lufthansa superjumbo flying from Tokyo to Frankfurt was forced to shut down one of its four Trent 900 engines shortly before landing, after crew detected a change in oil pressure.

They did so as a precaution, rather than risk further damage to the engine which was later replaced.

And in September last year another Rolls Royce powered A380, this time operated by Singapore Airlines, was forced to turn back two hours and 45 minutes after leaving Paris on a flight to the Far East, because of an engine malfunction.

Of the 37 A380s currently in the air, 20 are equipped with the Trent 900. They are operated by Singapore, Qantas and Lufthansa, who now have all reported problems.

The remaining aircraft, powered by Engine Alliance, a 50/50 joint venture between GE Aircraft Engines and Pratt & Whitney. They are understood not to have been involved in any airborne emergency.

In addition the British Airways Boeing 777 which crash landed at Heathrow in January 2008 was also powered by a different Rolls Royce, this time the Trent 800.

Guest chris955

Where on earth do these stories come from ? :biggrin:

I thought that Rolls Royce had moved from UK to like India, apparently not all A380 aircraft use Rolls Royce engines.

Guest Guest31881
It was something I had in my mind, I think I may have mixed it up with Jaguar or a car company going to India

Is this what you are thinking of? The expansion of their Singapore factory, this will be the first factory outside the UK to build and test the Trent engines

Rolls-Royce, the global power systems company, is building a $700Smillion new wide chord fan blade (WCFB) factory in Singapore.The factory will be located at the Group's Seletar Campus alongside the previously announced "Facility of the Future," which will test and assemble Trent aero engines.

a shame, as it was always a comfort when you looked out on the wing and saw the name Rolls Royce inscribed on the engines.

I still do. Its a shame that you have to rely on others to take note of maintenance procedures.

I believe it was maintained under RR in Germany, although not 100% on that.

I think its best all round to just wait and see before appointing blame.

:cute:

Guest chris955

I still do, I read nothing to make me change that.

a shame, as it was always a comfort when you looked out on the wing and saw the name Rolls Royce inscribed on the engines.

Archived