18days in

Elliott-Family

Well, i've been in Oz for 18days now. I started work after 6days and already there's tentative talk of promotion!! I wont hold my breath just yet tho. I'm starting to get really excited now because my wife and son fly out in 4days time which will finally, after 2yrs of planning and waiting, kick start our new life down under. I came out 3wks ahead of my family to start work as the job would only be held open for me until the end of sept and so left the Mrs to finalise the house sale and sort the packers. Our furniture is on its way, i hope and our 2 hairey mutts fly out in 4days also. Not long now:jiggy:

Since getting here, i've sorted a car and yesterday signed the lease on a property in Mt Martha (mornington peninsula) i pick the keys up Monday. I really wanted to have some bits sorted ready for my family's arrival. Everyone seems really friendly and helpful so far. As yet i've not particularly been many places because when not working i've been car hunting and doing the circuit of house viewings which was an experience in itself!

We're doing this move on a real tight budget (less than 15k) as we lost alot of money with the house sale and to make matters worse the poor exchange rate. That's part of the reason i started work immediately too. We cant afford to leave money in the UK and wait for the exchange rate to improve. Anyway, moving to Oz was never about money, its was for the adventure and hopefully a better/ different quality of life for us as a family. I'm not too sure if we'll ever be able to buy our own home here because we have lost so much money in UK and so dont have anything toward a deposit but who knows. We'll work hard and try to save a little and if we can scrape a deposit together then possibly. We weren't loaded in the UK and so why should we expect to be here. We're not particularly materialistic people, altho our rental does have a jacuzzi in the garden!! And we kno we wont be having expensive, top of the range stuff, but so what?

Skype is a great thing to keep in touch with the rellies (do i sound Australian?) and all my initial emotions have settled a little altho i still do have my moments. I have to keep perspective on why we're doing this. At times as i'm driving around i find myself smiling and thinking "I'm actually here and living in Oz".

Sorry to ramble on. Thurs cant come round quick enough now and i cant wait to collect my family from the airport and drive them to their new Australian home.

Ian

Guest cazbeckham

Welcome to Australia Ian and hope that the rest of the family have very safe flights and will be with you soon.

Good luck with your new home and the move, sounds like you are all organised. There are some less expensive houses down that way to buy (checkout Rosebud, Somervillle, Tyabb), and some estates with house and land packages too. Or even around the Sth East Lyndhurst there are some house and land packages which exclude stamp duty on purchase which you have to pay on existing homes. Enjoy the warmer weather on its way:jiggy:Welcome

Guest guest33730

Great Post Ian,

Glad things seem to be going well for you - it will be good to have the family with you!

Daniel

Good post Ian and do not write off owning a home, not every house is a fortune. If we cut our coat according to the cloth anything is possible.

Not everyone lives in huge house with everything that opens and shuts and not everyone wants that lifestyle.

Good luck to all of you, you have plenty of fellow Brits over in Mount Martha, keep an eye out for the meet ups etc.

Glad things are working out for you & when the family arrive it will feel like home. You've sorted the biggest battles, job, house & car! Enjoy having a chill over the week end & give yourself a pat on the back.

We got our visas granted just before you & like you had to sell the house, which luckily we did in May, so we've been here now for just over 4 months. We really love it & it's felt like home since we arrived BUT poor hubs hasn't even had a sniff of a reply/ interview for any jobs yet. It's lovely having him around all the time but is eating away at our savings & we can't get on with life properly . Something will come along soon I'm sure, but we're still really glad we're here!

Good luck with the rest of your journey, you deserve it X

We havent ruled out owning our own home here and 1 day who knows? We've started on a journey and will just have to see where it leads? If we can get the deposit together and its right for us to buy then we'd probably go for it, but for now, once the family are over what we've got is good enough and we'll be happy.

Hope the job hunting comes good cazz, what line of work is ur hubby in?

Ian

Guest guest30038

Good on yer Ian and it's nice to see a brilliant positive attitude. The house will come mate...........mortgages were cheaper when we came here I know, and it's a struggle for most nowadays, but we did it on only $7k and one income...........15 yrs later, we own ours outright...........you just have to box clever mate and bide your time..............buyers markets always come round and IMHO, the Oz property market can't continue the recent trend........it's got to the stage where folk simply can't get on the ladder so I think there'll be a downward shift in prices, sooner or later, if not, at the least, a halt in the growth of prices.

good luck

kev

Guest miniwing
Well, i've been in Oz for 18days now. I started work after 6days and already there's tentative talk of promotion!! I wont hold my breath just yet tho. I'm starting to get really excited now because my wife and son fly out in 4days time which will finally, after 2yrs of planning and waiting, kick start our new life down under. I came out 3wks ahead of my family to start work as the job would only be held open for me until the end of sept and so left the Mrs to finalise the house sale and sort the packers. Our furniture is on its way, i hope and our 2 hairey mutts fly out in 4days also. Not long now:jiggy:

Since getting here, i've sorted a car and yesterday signed the lease on a property in Mt Martha (mornington peninsula) i pick the keys up Monday. I really wanted to have some bits sorted ready for my family's arrival. Everyone seems really friendly and helpful so far. As yet i've not particularly been many places because when not working i've been car hunting and doing the circuit of house viewings which was an experience in itself!

We're doing this move on a real tight budget (less than 15k) as we lost alot of money with the house sale and to make matters worse the poor exchange rate. That's part of the reason i started work immediately too. We cant afford to leave money in the UK and wait for the exchange rate to improve. Anyway, moving to Oz was never about money, its was for the adventure and hopefully a better/ different quality of life for us as a family. I'm not too sure if we'll ever be able to buy our own home here because we have lost so much money in UK and so dont have anything toward a deposit but who knows. We'll work hard and try to save a little and if we can scrape a deposit together then possibly. We weren't loaded in the UK and so why should we expect to be here. We're not particularly materialistic people, altho our rental does have a jacuzzi in the garden!! And we kno we wont be having expensive, top of the range stuff, but so what?

Skype is a great thing to keep in touch with the rellies (do i sound Australian?) and all my initial emotions have settled a little altho i still do have my moments. I have to keep perspective on why we're doing this. At times as i'm driving around i find myself smiling and thinking "I'm actually here and living in Oz".

Sorry to ramble on. Thurs cant come round quick enough now and i cant wait to collect my family from the airport and drive them to their new Australian home.

Ian

Hi Ian - your post bought tears to my eyes. How exciting for you and your family. I'm researching into the possibility of emigrating at the moment. My head is buzzing with so much information. Still some work to do on the husband but I'm ready. Who knows maybe in 12-18 months time I'll be posting something similar on here.

One question - did you visit Australia first or did you always know it was the place for you and your family?

All the best and enjoy this very surreal and exciting time.:hug:

We havent ruled out owning our own home here and 1 day who knows? We've started on a journey and will just have to see where it leads? If we can get the deposit together and its right for us to buy then we'd probably go for it, but for now, once the family are over what we've got is good enough and we'll be happy.

Hope the job hunting comes good cazz, what line of work is ur hubby in?

Ian

Hi Ian, he's an AME ( aircraft maintenance engineer ) not licenced! All the jobs here want licenced engineers, but he can't get them until someone gives him a job!!!! Something will come along soon, just lucky that we have got some savings to fall back on! The ironic part of it though, is he was state sponsored & his job was on the CSL for WA, the only state at the time & there seems to lots of work in most of the other states! Hey Ho. X:wacko:

Hi Ian

Glad you are over here and settled, I know you have had a rough ride with family/selling house but you can put that into the past and enjoy your new life in Mount Martha. We are up in Berwick so next time we have a get together we will give you a shout.

Karen

Guest juliemtaylor

Ian that's great you found a rental - and a jacuzzi not fair! wonder how far you will be from us then??

Look forward to meeting you all soon,

Julie x

Guest bacardi167

Ian..welcome to Aus,

I moved my family out here a year ago..dont own a house, never have but have been given a chance to give my 2 boys ang misus a better life. Thats all that counts for me at the moment.

Ive had some hard times but believe me..I am a proud englishman and have no intention of going back to England.

It wont ll be plain sailing mate, but believe me, the chances are there if you want them.

We all want the same for our families and have been brave enough t make the move...surely this can only produce a better society?

Good luck

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi Ian and great post

it looks like you won't break the PIO record of coming to the conclusion that Australia is not a nice place to live, the record is 28 days in and they decided that it was awful. Crazy i know, but true and i know everyone will say - just how can you make your mind up in 28 days - well the answer to that is you can't. Theres nowt stranger than folk. Mind you, you do have 10 days to go, so you mind change your mind, but...................... i doubt it. lol.

Most love Australia and i am sure your positive attitude will ensure you make your life fantastic, in such a fantastic country, best of luck.

Ian

Doubt the 28 day issue will be a problem - there will be wobbles for sure. Had my latest one at 8 months (for about a day - realising how long it has been since I saw family/friends), shed a few tears and then woke up the next day fine. Don't think the weather helped as it was horrid. But then I got busy again and another month has passed by already - wouldn't go back to the UK to live for a LONG time (given the state of the economy there isn't much to go back to IMO).

Karen

thanks for all the support guys, not just now but over the 2yrs we've been going thro this process. If nothing else i'd want people to realise that if you want something enough you can make it happen. We've been held up in the csl changes that happen 2yrs ago, then the housing market crashed and then the exchange rate fell thro the floor. During this time our house sale fell thro and my wife's dad sadly passed away, so i think yea we've had a few challenges. We always knew we'd be doing this on a tight budget but thats ok, we just wanted to be in Oz. The car i bought isn't flash and new, neither is the house we are renting but for us we'll be together and if nothing else trying new stuff. I'm just so excitied at the pending arrival of my wife, son and dogs. I'm counting the days now..............I've not particularly found Oz to be expensive but maybe thats because i'm earning in dollars almost immediately and didnt have expectations of a cheaper standard of living. Of course this may change when the mrs comes over but at the min Oz feels right and exciting and thats enough for now!!

Ian

Archived