Britain - head shaving. Why?

Nzogbia

I remember years back my mate came back to the UK from living abroad and commented about how 'edgy' the UK had become. He also said he was shocked by the number of blokes with bald/shaven heads, rendering whole swathes of Britain like a 'chemotherapy recovery ward' (his words). I guess you don't notice it as much until you go away and come back.

Recently I recorded a few of the Foxtel footy matches, and, just as an experiment (I was bored), I decided to do a 'shave yer heed sampling'. The results were astounding. I freezeframed whenever they panned the camera on to the crowd and in many of the shots 9 out of every 10 blokes had no hair! Honest, I'm not making it up. Now then, I can't believe we've got that big a problem with baldness in the UK, so what is it? Why do fellas shave their hair off, even when they aren't going bald? Is it coz they actually just want to look like Phil/Grant Mitchell? Is it because they think the "you know when you've been Tangoed' birds will find them irresistible (that's a possibility). Anyway, it's just nuts, isn't it? Isn't it?

Guest guest37336

I think you will find the majority of the fellas with bald/shaven heads are the poor barstewards who are on the DIAC waiting list to enter Australia. After many months they have pulled their hair out as this seems to relieve slightly the worry and stress of the migration process.

Cheers Tony:wink:

One of the first things my Aussie husband noticed when we came to live in the UK was the amount of close cropped heads. Now, 6 years later, guess whos got a VERY short haircut!....Its tidy, easier to deal with, and looks much better than someone trying to disguise bald spots.

I dont know what its like over in Australia recently, but when we lived there I noticed loads of men with moustaches and beards (goatee style)..Has that changed now?

I think you will find the majority of the fellas with bald/shaven heads are the poor barstewards who are on the DIAC waiting list to enter Australia. After many months they have pulled their hair out as this seems to relieve slightly the worry and stress of the migration process.

Cheers Tony:wink:

Your so right!!

Cos it's deemed Wellard.That's my assumption!:wink:

Thats what alot of people assume :no:

My hubby is 6'4 and has a bald head. He shaves it because he is receeding badly.

Some people get the wrong idea about him and think because of how he looks, he must be a trouble maker.

He is a gentle giant and it really grates me when silly little people assume the above

Thats what alot of people assume :no:

My hubby is 6'4 and has a bald head. He shaves it because he is receeding badly.

Some people get the wrong idea about him and think because of how he looks, he must be a trouble maker.

He is a gentle giant and it really grates me when silly little people assume the above.

Hiya Thorpes:wink:

Just wanted to say,rock will only be joking,im 6ft 3 and cropped(number 1)hair meself,and yer DO get people judging a book by its cover,but i'd be dead suprised if rock wasnt just arsing around:wubclub:

Guest valleylass

I love to see an old boy with a comb over - it's so rare these days! Hair lacquer and everything they use, it's a shame when traditions die off isn't it ?:wacko:

I love to see an old boy with a comb over - it's so rare these days! Hair lacquer and everything they use, it's a shame when traditions die off isn't it ?:wacko:

I'l post yer a yeller carnation valley,im yer man!:biggrin::wubclub:,see yer in talacre:wink:

Hiya Thorpes:wink:

Just wanted to say,rock will only be joking,im 6ft 3 and cropped(number 1)hair meself,and yer DO get people judging a book by its cover,but i'd be dead suprised if rock wasnt just arsing around:wubclub:

Too right Pabs,just jesting!Some peeps can't have a banter!:biggrin:

Guest guest36187

My husband shaves his head! He had longer hair when we were married but now says he cant be bothered messing about! He shaves it every few weeks!

People know him so well that they expect it and rib him when it gets longer!

I started losing mine when I was 19.

By the time I was 25 it was time to give in and go for the no.1 cut.

Wished I had done it earlier.

Didn't need to spend time washing it, saved me having to cough up a tenner at barbers, I bought a set of clippers and still have them now.

I know that this isn't just a male issue.

There are many women who have a problem with hair loss. If you look closely you can spot them.

The difference is of course is that it is socially acceptable for a man to have a bald head, and most aren't bothered by it.

But I think that ladies are.

Guest MarkChris

I put it down to the GFC, Oz lads have more money to spend on shampoo and conditioner than lads in the UK. Although in my situation I have been loosing my hair since I was 15. I now have very short crop, but I have noticed that my ear and nose hair keeps growing... Humm, maybe my hair is falling through my head..:frown:

I started to lose mine when I was 25. I've never had a problem with being 'follicly challenged' LOL! However, there gets a point where I can continue to grow it (whereby a 'mad professor' look starts to emerge as I have naturally curly hair) or I can cut it back. However, since i started to go 'sub-no1' - in other words completely dispense with the shaver and take to using a mach 3 and foam, my missus has started to get a little miffed. To the point that when it comes to that time (usually every fortnight) I get the silent treatment. I actually work in a chemotherapy department, and one of my patients asked if I was on chemo (god bless her). I explained that I wasn't but that i was just bald. It made me really think about how people perceive guys who are shaven - and on a serious note, working where I do, hair loss and regrowth is a much deliberated and discussed issue. So I guess it has made me think twice about how I look to others - whether I look like a football hooligan, a hardnut, or a person receiving chemo. Either way I've now gone back to a number 1 which makes me feel clean and tidy and (as my wife reckons, looks a lot friendlier). By-the-way I have offered to stage a grow back for charity in the hospital I work at but the deadline at which I would have to stop would need to be considered if only to avoid the nutty proff look. XX Jasp

Archived