nerves are setting in

Elliott-Family

Well after 2yrs of waiting we exchanged contracts on our house sale yesterday. Good job really cos I fly out to oz tomorrow heading for mornington, vic. my wife, son and 2 dogs fly over in Oct. had our leaving party last night n I've got hangover to prove it. it was really sad sayin goodbye to friends but I'm really not lookin forward to sayin bye to my family. until now the nerves haven't really kicked in but now... its a different story. all of a sudden I'm feeling the enormity of our move.

Guest sunnyday

Oh guys, I know I've said this loads of times before BUT it really is an emotional rollercoaster!!

Good luck with the goodbyes, you will feel much better when on the plane. Mornington is lovely, are you staying in a short term rental?

I found the family goodbyes by far the worse - was completely unprepared for how it would affect me. Thankfully the rest of my family kept it together. It haunted me for days afterwards, but it has got much easier. Once you arrive there is lots of stuff to occupy your mind and geez the weather helps.

Good luck!

Guest The Pom Queen

That is great news guys, at long last it is finally happening for you!!

It won't be long before the wife and kids follow you so hang in there, I am sure you will be so busy when you arrive that it will make the separation easier.

Have a safe journey over and hopefully we can meet up once you are here.

Kate

Thanks for all the kind words and support. It's been a really hard 24hrs sayin bye to friends. My dad never shows his emotions but yest I got the biggest hug from him n to see him cry was really upsettin. Just mum, sister, wife n son left although wife n son won't be far behind. Gonna be so tuff sayin bye to my mum although she is already planning her visit. I was really not prepared for how hard this is and It's hard tryin to keep perspective on why at moment. Anyway packing to sort n prob more tears before my 10pm flight. Think this is the hardest moment of my life so far! Just hope this rollercoaster ride has a happy ending

I really was not prepared for how tough it was to say 'see ya' to family and friends. I made a point not to say goodbye cos that seems so final. My mum came with us to the airport and although she understands why we want to come to oz i know she's really upset. She was a rock in the car although the closer we got to the airport the more aggitated she became, I know her so well! My wife and son have to go thro the goodbyes in 3wks once the house sale has completed which makes me feel guilty cos i'm not there to support her. Its the first time we've been apart since we got together and without her even in Uk i'd be lost but here............i just dont know anything and feel totally out of my depth.

When i was waiting to board the plane i was actually considering phoning my wife to ask her to come pick me up. All i could think about was family that were really upset about us leaving and they have to go thro it again in a few weeks time.

I flew with singapore airways on the A380- plenty of food, attentive staff, good entertainment and decent leg room (i'm 6'1'') no real concerns/ worries with them and would fly with them again.

I landed on 21 sept at 0600, by 5pm i'd viewed 2 rental properties thanks to my wife giving me the famous 'list', also sorted mobile phone and tinternet access. Today i've sorted my banking with NAB who were really helpful and applied for my TFN. Been to check about medicare. yesterday whilst waiting to view the properties i fell asleep in a car park for nearly an hour!! and jetlag is now kicking in.

It's hard to be totally objective at min cos our dream was for the 3 of us to all fly out together which sadly hasnt happened. Claire has the packers in as i type (furniture packers!!) and is flying out in 3wks. I start work in 5days time so lots to do beforehand.

If nothing else please dont underestimate the farewells/ goodbyes or see ya's, i did and it really hit me hard

more later

Ian

Guest The Pom Queen
I really was not prepared for how tough it was to say 'see ya' to family and friends. I made a point not to say goodbye cos that seems so final. My mum came with us to the airport and although she understands why we want to come to oz i know she's really upset. She was a rock in the car although the closer we got to the airport the more aggitated she became, I know her so well! My wife and son have to go thro the goodbyes in 3wks once the house sale has completed which makes me feel guilty cos i'm not there to support her. Its the first time we've been apart since we got together and without her even in Uk i'd be lost but here............i just dont know anything and feel totally out of my depth.

When i was waiting to board the plane i was actually considering phoning my wife to ask her to come pick me up. All i could think about was family that were really upset about us leaving and they have to go thro it again in a few weeks time.

I flew with singapore airways on the A380- plenty of food, attentive staff, good entertainment and decent leg room (i'm 6'1'') no real concerns/ worries with them and would fly with them again.

I landed on 21 sept at 0600, by 5pm i'd viewed 2 rental properties thanks to my wife giving me the famous 'list', also sorted mobile phone and tinternet access. Today i've sorted my banking with NAB who were really helpful and applied for my TFN. Been to check about medicare. yesterday whilst waiting to view the properties i fell asleep in a car park for nearly an hour!! and jetlag is now kicking in.

It's hard to be totally objective at min cos our dream was for the 3 of us to all fly out together which sadly hasnt happened. Claire has the packers in as i type (furniture packers!!) and is flying out in 3wks. I start work in 5days time so lots to do beforehand.

If nothing else please dont underestimate the farewells/ goodbyes or see ya's, i did and it really hit me hard

more later

Ian

Hi Ian

Glad you arrived safely, don't do too much this week as you will exhaust yourself. If you are feeling a little down or low, don't be alone just send me an email and we can arrange to catch up.

Hugs

Kate:hug:

Hi, we really want to settle in n around Mornington Peninsula, mt martha, mt eliza area. But so do most people i think judging by the amount of people that attend the open rental viewings. Still, i've managed to get some private viewings, 1 of which i'll be the first to see so if its suitable, fingers crossed. I'd really like to sort a rental ready for my wife n son's arrival mid Oct.

Guest Liverpool lou

Hi, glad to hear you have arrived safely and it wont be long before the three of you are reunited. reading your post has just made me so emotional because we will have to go through the same thing in Dec. we will move out of our house next week and will be staying with my parents until we leave. We are not looking forward to the 'see ya's' and understand when you say its the hardest thing you have ever done before.

Good luck for the future

Archived