Relocating to Brisbane 2010 - Roll Call!

Guest Benchola

Guest Benchola
we got here today it great so far lovely weather

Fabulous. Just wait until the jet lag really kicks in!

Where abouts are you guys staying?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stop !:mad: Stop ! :mad:Stop ! :mad:

This is all getting too much for us jealous types over here !!

You'll be pleased to know Matt, its not stopped p*%%ing down since you left last week

Also, took your advice on the job front, but still realistically I think it will be into the New Year before we touch Brissie soil

Hey Myrtle, did you try out the Norman Hotel for the huge steaks ?

JT

Well Myrtle....we paid the deposit today! Can't bloody believe it.

We viewed the second property and it was wholly inadequate. It wasn't secure enough for the kids and, despite costing $120 more a month, the Landlord said that we could install our own temporary fence if we wished!

Just after looking round this property we got a call from the agent telling us that our application had been approved. We move in on the 18th! :wideeyed:

OMG - you jammy whatsits :laugh: See ..... told you that house may well have your name on it :yes:. Heaps of congratulations - now you can really chill and have a bit of a holiday before things get busy again! So pleased for you all!

Just after looking round this property we got a call from the agent telling us that our application had been approved. We move in on the 18th! :wideeyed:

Congrats! Bet you're relieved to get that sorted so soon. Look forward to your next installment.

Its looking like we are just going to get sorted for moving around mid November, whether the house sells or not, and hope it does in the meantime, but aim to go for then. We will wait a week or so, and then get moving on shipping, flights etc and hope it all falls together, otherwise we might still be sitting here next year!

We have dropped the price on the house, and have a viewer today and a few more interested so are being hopeful that if we aim to go for mid Nov, it will be fine.

Will be following your progress as we should be doing this all soon.

Shaz

Stop !:mad: Stop ! :mad:Stop ! :mad:

Hey Myrtle, did you try out the Norman Hotel for the huge steaks ?

JT

Huge ...? You weren't joking were you !! :twitcy: My 9 year old eats like a horse and is as skinny as a rake - he thought all his birthdays had come at once! Hubby couldn't believe the size of 'em and failed to finish his .... a rare occurrence!! We've had a great time here and the owners have been fab while we have been setting up! So ... when are you coming?? :wink:

Guest Benchola
Huge ...? You weren't joking were you !! :twitcy: My 9 year old eats like a horse and is as skinny as a rake - he thought all his birthdays had come at once! Hubby couldn't believe the size of 'em and failed to finish his .... a rare occurrence!! We've had a great time here and the owners have been fab while we have been setting up! So ... when are you coming?? :wink:

This Norman Hotel sounds too good to be true. Where the hell is it?

Myrtle,

ASAP ! but realistically in the New Year..... sooner still if Matt pulls his finger out and gets me a job !!!

I had one job offer and we were almost on the plane 2 months ago but it fell through at the last minute

When we do get over though.... watch out !

Matt,

Try

Norman Hotel :: Brisbane's Worst Vegetarian Restaurant :: (07) 3391 5022

Wooloongabba on the Ipswich road I think

All the best .... I am going to have to stop following this thread.... its too painful.... have fun guys.

Guest Michael Rimmer

We viewed the second property and it was wholly inadequate. It wasn't secure enough for the kids and, despite costing $120 more a month, the Landlord said that we could install our own temporary fence if we wished!

+---------------------------------------------------------------------

That is great news, we hadn't looked at that area but might now at those prices.

looks like its all falling into place now

Guest Rockerdaddy

Hi All,

Relocating to Brisbane in September this year with wife and two kids. No job lined up yet and getting a bit frustrated as companies don't seem to want to know about me. Hoping that will change once I'm there.

I am a transport manage by trade and I am trying to get in with someone in the bus and coach industry.

Hi All,

Relocating to Brisbane in September this year with wife and two kids. No job lined up yet and getting a bit frustrated as companies don't seem to want to know about me. Hoping that will change once I'm there.

I am a transport manage by trade and I am trying to get in with someone in the bus and coach industry.

Welcome - and good luck with your relocation! OH had no job offer before he came but he has now secured a good position. From what many people have said .... many companies won't even acknowledge you until you are on Australian soil. Keep trying though as I have heard people who have been persistent and eventually gained an Australian job offer while still in the UK. Good Luck :wink:

Hi All,

Hi Rockerdaddy

Welcome to the forum. Where abouts in Brissy are you headed?'

Lots of companies won't take your application seriously until you are actually here. Once you arrive you'll need to make sure your CV is tailored to each position you apply for. Persistence pays!

Good luck

Love

Rudi

x

Guest Benchola
Welcome - and good luck with your relocation! OH had no job offer before he came but he has now secured a good position. From what many people have said .... many companies won't even acknowledge you until you are on Australian soil. Keep trying though as I have heard people who have been persistent and eventually gained an Australian job offer while still in the UK. Good Luck :wink:

I'll be one of those then, eh? :cute:

Like Rockerdaddy I kept applying to all the companies in the industry (construction) but got very little back - they were all interested in my CV but were unwilling to have any formal discussions / interviews. Then I changed tack - rather than approach firms a recruitment agency, as I had before, I started emailing the MD's / CEO's of Australian firms direct, rather than the big international companies. This reaped rewards almost immediately as I had two Skype interviews arranged within a week, with two job offer's following two weeks later!

I doubt very much that the bus / coach industry is anything like the construction industry, but my experience shows that persistence is the key. However, there is a lot to be said for having your feet on Australian soil - that way companies can actually meet you face-to-face and can take you much more seriously.

Guest Pipkins

Hi Folks - just come across this thread. We're heading out to Brisbane on Sunday!!! A few butterflies now and the hours are running away with us (too many goodbyes!). Can't wait to get on with the new adventure.

Staying in a holiday house in Rothwell with a view to living.....well, even after a reccie last year there are so many lovely places to choose from we still haven't decided!! Albany Creek, Warner area looking a favourite, but hubby is a plumber and IF he gets a job we might move accordingly!

Guest oggie1

Hi Everyone

We are off on Monday managed to secure a 12 month lease on a house in Murrumba Downs about 12 min from Nort Lakes still so much to do. Rowena

We fly on 16th August from Manchester to Brisbane

We got a 6 month lease on a great house in Helensvale

:biggrin:Can't wait now so excited :biggrin:

Hi there,

Hope you arrived safely. Had an appointment just before you left with your lovely wife Pam. We were all getting excited about the move when we got chatting.Small world we only live in Cas. We are hoping to head to Brisbane at the end of the year, if not, early next year.

Wish you all a happy life, all the best to Pam in her new job and hope all goes well with the house..

Take care... Enjoy !!!!

X Helen

Just a little update for those who are following (and I'm Mrs Benchola just in case people wonder what exactly it is I'm updating)....

... we've today paid our rental bond and signed all the paperwork. We have a bed, fridge, washer and foxtel all being sorted out / delivered on Wednesday pm, which is also when we move in. Jacob started prep today and had a lovely day and looked fab in his brand new uniform when we picked him up. We're packing the cases as we speak (yet again) but hopefully this will be the last time for at least 6 months. We're eyeing up the outdoor furniture and bbq's but may have to leave off those for a little while as we have overspent by a huge amount (mainly my fault for falling in love with the most expensive bed and mattress the shop had available - avoid Snooze, their beds are too lovely! (try googling it)

We've been to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, Australia Zoo, Tamborine Mountain, Gold Coast, a load of different parks and had 3 bbq's last week alone. We've picnicked out every other day and generally are having a whale of a time. Back to reality today though when we had to be up and out by 8 in order to get trouble to school but we're slowly getting used to the idea that this is it, we're starting our new life here. The roads are fun and we're getting used to those too. I still shake the shoes out every time I put a pair on and am still nervous about the local wildlife here, but am slowly getting used to it.

Think that is it for now, we love reading everyone elses updates and seeing who is about to join us here in Brisbane so keep updating peeps.

Sx

Just a little update for those who are following (and I'm Mrs Benchola just in case people wonder what exactly it is I'm updating)....

... we've today paid our rental bond and signed all the paperwork. We have a bed, fridge, washer and foxtel all being sorted out / delivered on Wednesday pm, which is also when we move in. Jacob started prep today and had a lovely day and looked fab in his brand new uniform when we picked him up. We're packing the cases as we speak (yet again) but hopefully this will be the last time for at least 6 months. We're eyeing up the outdoor furniture and bbq's but may have to leave off those for a little while as we have overspent by a huge amount (mainly my fault for falling in love with the most expensive bed and mattress the shop had available - avoid Snooze, their beds are too lovely! (try googling it)

We've been to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, Australia Zoo, Tamborine Mountain, Gold Coast, a load of different parks and had 3 bbq's last week alone. We've picnicked out every other day and generally are having a whale of a time. Back to reality today though when we had to be up and out by 8 in order to get trouble to school but we're slowly getting used to the idea that this is it, we're starting our new life here. The roads are fun and we're getting used to those too. I still shake the shoes out every time I put a pair on and am still nervous about the local wildlife here, but am slowly getting used to it.

Think that is it for now, we love reading everyone elses updates and seeing who is about to join us here in Brisbane so keep updating peeps.

Sx

Fab to hear you are doing so well - good job you explained who you were though - 'cos I would'nt have worked that out!! You sound like you are having a ball - now it's back to the grind though :wacko: Know what you mean about the spending - it sort of gets away from you doesn't it?! And the shoes....? Well, I had a head start on you ..... and I still do that :biglaugh: Wish you all well with settling into the house x

we have put an application in for a house in springfield lakes it fab there total brand new , really nice lots lakes and parks. we find out tomororw if we get it . we will pay 6 weeks up front and bond. luckily craig to start job tomororw guy phoned tonight so not much notice. was getting worried as more expensive then we thought and have overspent. had great time though been here 11 days and been to zoo, gold coast sunshine coast beaches, brissie , barbeques etc lots of fun days . not seen any scarey creatures yet so that good. good luck to you all.

we have put an application in for a house in springfield lakes it fab there total brand new , really nice lots lakes and parks. we find out tomororw if we get it . we will pay 6 weeks up front and bond. luckily craig to start job tomororw guy phoned tonight so not much notice. was getting worried as more expensive then we thought and have overspent. had great time though been here 11 days and been to zoo, gold coast sunshine coast beaches, brissie , barbeques etc lots of fun days . not seen any scarey creatures yet so that good. good luck to you all.

Hi,

I didnt visit Springfield Lakes whilst out on our reccie, but see its an up and coming, busy area, with a train line being put in. Would be handy for work in the Gold Coast too.

Can you tell me how much we'd expect to pay there to rent a 4 bed house, with pool? Or, are the houses a bit like Forest Lakes with pretty small plot sizes, not big enough for a pool?

Well done on the job front. Is it nearby, Gold Coast or CBD? We are also from Scotland, and hoping to be out by November, if the house sells, but not looking too promising right now :(

Shaz

Hi,

I didnt visit Springfield Lakes whilst out on our reccie, but see its an up and coming, busy area, with a train line being put in. Would be handy for work in the Gold Coast too.

Can you tell me how much we'd expect to pay there to rent a 4 bed house, with pool? Or, are the houses a bit like Forest Lakes with pretty small plot sizes, not big enough for a pool?

Well done on the job front. Is it nearby, Gold Coast or CBD? We are also from Scotland, and hoping to be out by November, if the house sells, but not looking too promising right now :(

Shaz

hi good luck on selling your house . it will dont give up. springfield lakes is so nice all hoses are nice , not like the other suburbs you have some run down and some nice. it similar to forest lake as a community feel bu all new , you get a 4 bed 2 bath for 340 per week so really reasonable but with a pool about mid 400 to 500 . we going for one without and we getting a big blow up one , that will do for us the we cheaper rent. let me no if you end up there good luck !!!!

Archived