Relocating to Brisbane 2010 - Roll Call!

Guest Benchola

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well....we fly to Brisbane in a little over 8 hours time!

I cannot believe how bloody stressed out I am - we're not even sure how many cases we need to take yet! Still, the day is finally here!

We had a few leaving drinks at a local pub last night which was great - highly emotional but good fun all the same. I still can't believe that it may be a year or two before I get to see my brother and my dad in the flesh again - but I'm trying to put that to the back of my mind at the moment, otherwise I'd get nothing done!

Anyway - I hope to see many of you on the other side!

And btw - for all those complaining that they cannot get travel insurance: I rang the Post Office this morning, explained that we were emigrating and that we'd only need three days cover. £30 and no problem whatsoever!

Hope the flight went really well! Let us know how you all are when you arrive. Try and take a few days to relax before the manic stuff starts up again!

Love

Rudi

x

Guest Benchola

We're in our holiday at long last.

Travelling took just over 27 hours in the end as we were diverted to Melbourne due to low lying fog in Brisbane.

We've been up and about since 4am this morning (thanks to our eldest) and so we've been sorting ourselves out / unpacking etc. Our holiday let is fantastic - it's actually better than we thought it would be, as the photo's on the website don't really do it justice.

Going to sort out our mobile phones this morning and meet with the bank and then look for local shops / parks etc.

So glad that we're finally here. The holiday let has left us an internet usb which has been really good of them. My cousins picked us up from the internet yesterday and brought us here, and then one of them went to Coles and did some shopping for us - what an absolute star!

:notworthy:

Will keep you guys posted with our progress. It would be good to hear who else is coming over too so that we can arrange to meet up!

We have been off-line for a couple of days as we have had the shippers in. We moved out of the house last night and into my Mum and Dads rental in West Yorkshire for 3 weeks. It will give us chance to say goodbye to friends and family here. Heading to Bridlington on Sat to say goodbye to my sister and her family.

WOW I don't think my feet have touched the ground in 3 weeks (and probably won't until we land in Brisbane)

Glad benchola reached the otherside, and wishing you guys good luck in the weeks to come. Hope you are settling in and finding out the lay of the land for when we get there!!!!:biglaugh:

Melanie x

Hi Melanie,

Enjoy the celebration. they are bitter sweet, Its so nice to see everyone but sad at the same time and also so exciting when you think of what you are about to embark on. Your emotions are going to be on a huge rollercoaster ride for the next few weeks lol. Looking forward to seeing you in Brizzy soon. and at last the sun has come out to play today :laugh:

We're in our holiday at long last.

Travelling took just over 27 hours in the end as we were diverted to Melbourne due to low lying fog in Brisbane.

Will keep you guys posted with our progress. It would be good to hear who else is coming over too so that we can arrange to meet up!

Well - welcome to Brisbane :wink: Can't say I'll be much help as we have only been here 4 weeks, but we are neighbours - practically! We are in our short - term rental in Woolloongabba 'till next Friday and then we are off to Manly! We have looked everywhere for suburbs so do shout out if I can help :yes: Have fun!

Guest Benchola
Well - welcome to Brisbane :wink: Can't say I'll be much help as we have only been here 4 weeks, but we are neighbours - practically! We are in our short - term rental in Woolloongabba 'till next Friday and then we are off to Manly! We have looked everywhere for suburbs so do shout out if I can help :yes: Have fun!

Hey Myrtle - would you guys like to meet for a coffee some time next week before you bugger off to Manly? :smile:

Would be great to swap and compare notes and if anything, we get to speak to someone who is doing what we are at this very moment in time! Send me a pm if you would like to meet up - I won't hold it against you if you can't!

Matt

Hi Guys,

I'm am on board now, AT LAST - not as a 'I wish I was coming' but as a definately maybe........as long as the house sale goes through to plan - we'll be on our way first week in November - HURRAYY!!!!!

Excited but also getting LOTS of emotional strife from Family members who think we are SELFISH and are being very Mean - I don't care about us, but getting ratty cos kids are being exposed to it to, which I object to (who are the kids in this scenario, I would question) and that is just not on!

So flak jacket on and ride out the storm - watch out Brissy, here we come!!

Hi all we are leaving on friday 6.8.10 intend on going to North Lakes / Mango Hil.

Arrived initialy end of march for 7 weeks got cold feetcame back to UK for 10 weeks and now finally on our way back out to Oz.

All that with 3 kids in tow OMG must be mad. Hope to bump in to some of you out there!!

Stuart (35) Roxanne (31) Oakley 12 Lydia 7 and Amelia 3

Hi all we are leaving on friday 6.8.10 intend on going to North Lakes / Mango Hil.

Arrived initialy end of march for 7 weeks got cold feetcame back to UK for 10 weeks and now finally on our way back out to Oz.

All that with 3 kids in tow OMG must be mad. Hope to bump in to some of you out there!!

Stuart (35) Roxanne (31) Oakley 12 Lydia 7 and Amelia 3

OMG - that journey TWICE in less than 5 months:err: - all the best to you - and hope that you will be settled and happy this time round - Loads of luck!!!!

Hey Myrtle - would you guys like to meet for a coffee some time next week before you bugger off to Manly? :smile:

Would be great to swap and compare notes and if anything, we get to speak to someone who is doing what we are at this very moment in time! Send me a pm if you would like to meet up - I won't hold it against you if you can't!

Matt

Hey Matt ...

Really good to meet up with you guys today - look forward to doing it again soon! Hope you are successful with getting a rental - keep me in touch with how it goes? :wink:

Hi everyone, we're coming out to Brisbane on 7th Oct and staying with relatives initially. Don't know where we'll end up - we'll just wait and see when we get there. It will probably depend where the work is. Can't wait!!!!

Angela (39) David (42) Kayleigh (20) Ally (18) Olivia (1)

Guest Benchola
Hey Matt ...

Really good to meet up with you guys today - look forward to doing it again soon! Hope you are successful with getting a rental - keep me in touch with how it goes? :wink:

Hey Lisa,

Was great to meet you the other day - Jacob really enjoyed playing with Olly. We looked at the property in Chapel Hill yesterday and loved it. We're now one of two applicants and will hopefully hear today / tomorrow. We're also looking at another property today in Chapel Hlll just to keep our options open.

Hi all,

We are flying out to Brisbane on August 26th.

Relocating to Helensvale Gold Coast

Debs 44 Dave 45 Will 16 Theo 8

Good luck everyone! :cute:

Hi Debs & Dave

How exciting for you! Congratulations. We have rellies out in Helensvale (Pacific Pines) who we stayed with when we went out on our reccie in Mar/Apr. It's gorgeous out there. That's where we are hoping to go when we get our visa - still early days for us yet though as only just starting the process

We fly on 16th August from Manchester to Brisbane

We got a 6 month lease on a great house in Helensvale

:biggrin:Can't wait now so excited :biggrin:

Hi Debs & Dave

How exciting for you! Congratulations. We have rellies out in Helensvale (Pacific Pines) who we stayed with when we went out on our reccie in Mar/Apr. It's gorgeous out there. That's where we are hoping to go when we get our visa - still early days for us yet though as only just starting the process! Where did you find your rental? Was it easy enough to do being in the UK?

Hey Matt,

I saw some amazing houses online today in Chapel Hill and Fig Tree Pocket. Do you mind me asking, what is the price for a rental there, for a decent property? They're hard to judge online what they are really like. And what school would the kids go to if you rent in Chapel Hill? Kenmore, or Fig Tree Pocket state schools?

Good luck, fingers crossed you get it.

Thanks

Shaz

We looked at the property in Chapel Hill yesterday and loved it. We're now one of two applicants and will hopefully hear today / tomorrow. We're also looking at another property today in Chapel Hlll just to keep our options open.

Will have everything crossed for you today - hope it all works out for you :wink:

Guest Benchola
Hey Matt,

I saw some amazing houses online today in Chapel Hill and Fig Tree Pocket. Do you mind me asking, what is the price for a rental there, for a decent property? They're hard to judge online what they are really like. And what school would the kids go to if you rent in Chapel Hill? Kenmore, or Fig Tree Pocket state schools?

Good luck, fingers crossed you get it.

Thanks

Shaz

Hey Shaz - the properties that we're looking at, for a decent 3 / 4 bed house is costing between $550 and $600 a week. We're looking at a 5 bed today that is $630 a week. All of these properties have been renovated / recently refurbished with almost all of them having newly installed or nearly new kitchens and/or bathrooms. You will pay slightly less for a 3 bed and potentially less again if you are happy to have older / more dated kitchens and bathrooms. It all depends on what your needs are.

What I will say is that some of the photo's on-line can be a little misleading. Most of the shots are taken with wide-angle camera's which makes the rooms all appear much bigger than they actually are, so make sure you compare pictures of the same room that may have been taken from different angles. The property that we have applied for has 4 rather small bedrooms - even the master bedroom. However, the en-suite and bathroom are good sizes and the living / dining area and outside deck are HUGE. We're working on the basis that we're not actually 'living' in the bedrooms on a day-to-day basis and so we're willing to compromise.

We haven't started looking at schools properly yet, but will start approaching some of the primary schools in Kenmore / Chapel Hill this week now that we're starting to focus on this area. Jacob will only be in his prep year so we're envisaging a problem and quite a few people have said that the primary schools in these areas are amongst the best.

Hi Myrtle

Good luck with the move!!! Is it tomorrow????

Love

Rudi

x

Hey you :biggrin: I am soooo excited!! Feels like everything is coming together! I'm driving down tomorrow to pick up the keys and then we're moving in on Friday :jiggy:Container is coming Friday too so it'll be all go. We also bought fridge freezer, washing machine and outdoor dining set - and yep ..... that's coming Friday too! Flipping mad - can't quite work out why we didn't get that last lot delivered on the Saturday! Still, in for a penny ..... :twitcy: Will call you early next week when I've got the wee beastie off to school - washing his school uniform as we speak !!!

Hey Shaz - the properties that we're looking at, for a decent 3 / 4 bed house is costing between $550 and $600 a week. We're looking at a 5 bed today that is $630 a week. All of these properties have been renovated / recently refurbished with almost all of them having newly installed or nearly new kitchens and/or bathrooms. You will pay slightly less for a 3 bed and potentially less again if you are happy to have older / more dated kitchens and bathrooms. It all depends on what your needs are.

What I will say is that some of the photo's on-line can be a little misleading. Most of the shots are taken with wide-angle camera's which makes the rooms all appear much bigger than they actually are, so make sure you compare pictures of the same room that may have been taken from different angles. The property that we have applied for has 4 rather small bedrooms - even the master bedroom. However, the en-suite and bathroom are good sizes and the living / dining area and outside deck are HUGE. We're working on the basis that we're not actually 'living' in the bedrooms on a day-to-day basis and so we're willing to compromise.

We haven't started looking at schools properly yet, but will start approaching some of the primary schools in Kenmore / Chapel Hill this week now that we're starting to focus on this area. Jacob will only be in his prep year so we're envisaging a problem and quite a few people have said that the primary schools in these areas are amongst the best.

Thanks for the info. I am surprised that you are finding properties like that as you never see any online with nice kitchens or bathrooms for let! Glad to hear that.

Yes, I've researched the schools hugely, and Kenmore has a fantastic reputation. That is what made us look at the area initially. I would have thought though that if you were in the catchment area, you would get a place. It would be interesting to hear if that is not the case. That would be determining where I rent.

Hope you hear back soon,

Shaz

Guest Benchola
Will have everything crossed for you today - hope it all works out for you :wink:

Well Myrtle....we paid the deposit today! Can't bloody believe it.

We viewed the second property and it was wholly inadequate. It wasn't secure enough for the kids and, despite costing $120 more a month, the Landlord said that we could install our own temporary fence if we wished!

Just after looking round this property we got a call from the agent telling us that our application had been approved. We move in on the 18th! :wideeyed:

Archived