Relocating to Brisbane 2010 - Roll Call!

Guest Benchola

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How did I miss this exciting thread! :biggrin: Well, first of all we wish all the luck to all the people moving or have just moved :wink:

We (me, wife and little princess) too are moving to Brisbane! We're soo excited and can't wait, really. Unfortunately, we still need a few more months to arrive since I am working on a big project at work plus we need to save some more money (for a safer relocation). We've never been to Brisbane before (lived in Melbourne for 4 years though) so we have no idea but after lots of research we will start from Cleveland or somewhere near. We'll be totally on our own, hehe, a big adventure, so hopefully everything will be smooth (I doubt but thats life hey :smile:)

Flights are booked (and paid!) and we just can't wait to start our new adventure :wink:

Cheers

B1K3R

Just a little update for those who are following (and I'm Mrs Benchola just in case people wonder what exactly it is I'm updating)....

... we've today paid our rental bond and signed all the paperwork. We have a bed, fridge, washer and foxtel all being sorted out / delivered on Wednesday pm, which is also when we move in. Jacob started prep today and had a lovely day and looked fab in his brand new uniform when we picked him up. We're packing the cases as we speak (yet again) but hopefully this will be the last time for at least 6 months. We're eyeing up the outdoor furniture and bbq's but may have to leave off those for a little while as we have overspent by a huge amount (mainly my fault for falling in love with the most expensive bed and mattress the shop had available - avoid Snooze, their beds are too lovely! (try googling it)

We've been to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, Australia Zoo, Tamborine Mountain, Gold Coast, a load of different parks and had 3 bbq's last week alone. We've picnicked out every other day and generally are having a whale of a time. Back to reality today though when we had to be up and out by 8 in order to get trouble to school but we're slowly getting used to the idea that this is it, we're starting our new life here. The roads are fun and we're getting used to those too. I still shake the shoes out every time I put a pair on and am still nervous about the local wildlife here, but am slowly getting used to it.

Think that is it for now, we love reading everyone elses updates and seeing who is about to join us here in Brisbane so keep updating peeps.

Sx

Hi - Wow, you have achieved a lot in a few weeks!!

Reading your update is making me a bit nervous and our planned trip Early November is beginning to seem a reality - but I suppose the heby-jeby's is normal when planning to make such a major change in life, so I am not too worried that I am 'bricking' it :laugh:

I see you've got your young one in school - was finding a place easier or harder than anticipated? I've got two kids - 12 and 7 and are planning to use the same school as the niece (son is horrified by the dodgy uniform) - got provisional places but HOPE the kids like them once they see it for real!

So good luck - hope you continue to have a ball !!

.... I've got two kids - 12 and 7 and are planning to use the same school as the niece (son is horrified by the dodgy uniform)

Hmmm - am wondering if the dodgy uniforms go with the territory :laugh:. My 9 year old was truly mortified with his!! Doesn't help that his dad and I had to look away 'cos we were desperate to laugh! :twitcy: Thankfully, he also has a sports uniform which he gets to wear 2 days a week - now THAT is a fab, trendy outfit!

Guest oldham owl

The excitment will soon wear off. you have to realise it's not paradise just another westernised culture, i.e social issues, work, dog eat dog mentality. I was ready to return to the UK after 2 years but stay for our kids who now call this home.

I totally agree with above post. the first 2weeks are amazing and also draining.

excitment at finally being in OZ. but really life is not much different to uk life. work, bills, kids falling out, shopping but the good thing is it's a beautiful place to live and work and you everyday mood will be better i think. scenery is wonderfull.

i miss the uk less each year now and much rather live here in OZ. i also thought about returning to my old life in england after 1 year but im glad i never went back.

i miss the uk less each year now and much rather live here in OZ.

I think you are absolutely right - But I'm an still excited :jiggy:

Life in Oz is not going to be a bowl of cherries! - As a family you will bring the same issues wherever you are - but I think if you are being realistic , and not expecting a 'problem free' life then settling in will be easier!

You are also SO right about the environment making things feel better - I wonder whether we come from the same neck of the woods (Oldham? in your user name) - Driving to work for me is majorly depressing - filth everywhere, police incident tents from night before, drunks out with their Special Brew at 8.30am, people p'ing in door ways (lovely) - no wonder the lure of different scenery is calling!!! :laugh: I know Oz has its issues - it just feels like the volume we have on our doorstep has to be improved with a move!

So Brissy here we come! :wink:

we looking at forest lake for affordability and access to city gold coast and sunshine coast. good for kids too

Forest Lake is not too far from us, not a bad area but don't go too close to Inala - its not so nice from what I've heard! Forestdale is really nice if you want big blocks.

Kath

What caused the change of plan? So are you enjoying Springfield Lakes? Do many of the properties there have a pool? What do you think of the school?

Also, how handy is it for travel to the Gold Coast?

Sorry for all the questions, its an area we would consider too.

Thanks

Shaz

We have been here one year now, in the Springfield Lakes area, and loving it!

Most of the friends we have out here we met through PIO, so always happy to meet up with any newbies!

Kath

Great - see you soon then!! :wink: Coming to stay with rellies in springfield Lakes in Nov!!! Would love to meet some PIO folk!!

hi we are in springfield lakes change of plan been here since thursday daughter started school today .

Are you working too? How old is your daughter? She at Springfield Lakes State school? My son goes there, my daughter is at The Springfield College.

I work p/time, but if you fancy a meet up sometime pm me & I'll give you my mobile/email address.

Kath:biggrin:

Great - see you soon then!! :wink: Coming to stay with rellies in springfield Lakes in Nov!!! Would love to meet some PIO folk!!

You'll find it lots easier with relatives to support & advise you! We had no-one!

Are you working too? How old is your daughter? She at Springfield Lakes State school? My son goes there, my daughter is at The Springfield College.

I work p/time, but if you fancy a meet up sometime pm me & I'll give you my mobile/email address.

hi im going to be a teacher aide in the school caual basis. so not worki ng full time my daughter is 10 how old is your son ? im trying the now to get my 4 year old son into prep so waiting to hear as he just misses it so im appealing. that would be good i can meet up if you pm me details and ill pm mine. so are you settled here ? we only been in oz 3 weeks now.

• 1 month later...
Guest traynmart

Hi there, this is the first time we have posted on here and we are moving to Brisbane in 3 weeks (arrive 20th October). We have temporary accomodation in Kangaroo Point for a couple of weeks before hopefully renting somewhere around Hawthorne, Morningside, Norman Park or Coorparoo.

It me (Martin) my wife Tracey and our 2 children Saul (5) and Elsa (2)

We are really looking forward to arriving, but we are just a little stressed :arghh:at the moment as all our furniture was shipped about 3 weeks ago and completion date for our house sale here in the UK is not until 6 days before we leave.

We would love to meet up with others in the area when we have settled in and if anyone has any comments on the areas we have chosen to live in, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks from the Castle Family

Hi there, this is the first time we have posted on here and we are moving to Brisbane in 3 weeks (arrive 20th October). We have temporary accomodation in Kangaroo Point for a couple of weeks before hopefully renting somewhere around Hawthorne, Morningside, Norman Park or Coorparoo.

It me (Martin) my wife Tracey and our 2 children Saul (5) and Elsa (2)

We are really looking forward to arriving, but we are just a little stressed :arghh:at the moment as all our furniture was shipped about 3 weeks ago and completion date for our house sale here in the UK is not until 6 days before we leave.

We would love to meet up with others in the area when we have settled in and if anyone has any comments on the areas we have chosen to live in, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks from the Castle Family

Hiya guys,

We moved to Brisbane from manchester 9 weeks ago. We also have a 5 year old and a 2 year old. I remember the really stressed out feeling only too well but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Have you exchanged yet? We also stayed in Kangaroo Point (at KP House/Cottage) and we loved it there, very central and easy to get to the city etc. Unfortunately I don't much about the suburbs you mentioned as we are living in the western suburbs but thought I would say Hi anyhow. Good luck with everything.

Sharon

x

Guest traynmart

Hiya,

We complete on the house a week on Tuesday, and then fly the following Monday!! If you have any tips for the flight they would be greatly appreciated. Really not looking forward to 27 hours with young children!!

Thanks

Tracey

Hiya,

We complete on the house a week on Tuesday, and then fly the following Monday!! If you have any tips for the flight they would be greatly appreciated. Really not looking forward to 27 hours with young children!!

Thanks

Tracey

Hi,

We won't be far behind you - we arrive 10th Nov!! Have gone from being mega-organised to 'chaos reigns' - seem to have got 'behind' in the prep for the shippers (they arrive 12th) so now crazily trying to get organsied - 9 bags of clothes off for recycling this evening!!

How old are the kids, Tracey. Travelled with mine last year - 6 & 11 at time - I was far worse 'Are we there yet?' was MY catch phrase! I had an extensive 'activity' bag packed (4 kids) but hardly touched - they were happy to fiddle with in flight entertainment system - so all my efforts for nothing!

Good luck - Hope the move goes smoothly !!

P.s Where in M'cr - we Rochdale!!

Archived