New houses off the plans

Guest jeza

I was wondering if anyone out there has built one of these new homes that we see in all the brochures. When they quote a price, such as $410,000 for a 4 bedroom house in Officer or cranbourne - is that ALL it costs, or are there many hidden costs that we do not know about. Are the houses built to the standard you expected. I would love to hear you experiences with building and living in these brand new areas.:mask:

Jenny

I was wondering if anyone out there has built one of these new homes that we see in all the brochures. When they quote a price, such as $410,000 for a 4 bedroom house in Officer or cranbourne - is that ALL it costs, or are there many hidden costs that we do not know about. Are the houses built to the standard you expected. I would love to hear you experiences with building and living in these brand new areas.:mask:

Jenny

Alrite Jenny

Cant "really" help yer much tbh,but i asked about this when i was validating visa in S.A and the builder said all the landscaping etc,the outside, was down to me.

Me mate on here "yorkshirepom" mentioned something the other day about it being better buying a showhouse,i assume thats because its "complete",all the houses i seen were timberframe,i.e the inside skin was plasterboard,i "think" thats the norm anyway.

Theres plenty on here built their own,so i'l let them advise,they know more than me tbh.

The cost you see is generally the basic cost, there would be tiling, landscaping, extra lights, kitchen upgrade etc on top. If you just want the basic then that would be the cost. Also just look out for whether it is "house and land" or whether the land is extra.

Paul

yippee!!! New house here I come!. . . .I hope. . . . just gotta sell my NZ house. anyone want to move to NZ and buy my house. . . it's nice. . .

Generally they quote based on the minimum thickness slab, you'll probably have to stump up more for a thicker slab if you're on anything other than sand. As a rule of thumb add 30% onto the cost those adverts quote, 50% if your block has engineering issues such as slopes, rocky outcrops or uncontrolled fill.

• 2 weeks later...

Two of my children have done this. They both found it cost more than originally planned - but not so much more that they didn't manage to build. There are always lots of options. One of my girlls went without a garage and saved quite a lot- they just got a carport. It takes a lot longer than you might think is the other thing they said. They both thought it was worth it in the end, though. One built for about $450,000 and her house is now worth well over $1,000,000 just 2 years later.

oHHH mYYYY GOOOSHHHH!!!!! That is an amazing return. PLEASE, where did they build and how long ago??????

We would so love to be able to build a new house, even if it is abit further out.

We dream, oh we dream.

It does seem like the better option though, what with the stamp duty placed on established houses. They do seem to really be encouraging new building as much as possible!

oHHH mYYYY GOOOSHHHH!!!!! That is an amazing return. PLEASE, where did they build and how long ago??????

We would so love to be able to build a new house, even if it is abit further out.

We dream, oh we dream.

It does seem like the better option though, what with the stamp duty placed on established houses. They do seem to really be encouraging new building as much as possible!

Hold your horses mate , not disputin the post about the valuation ( must have dicovered oil in the garden , ifoyu get a house and land package, you pay for the block and build in the same mortgage , it all depends on the price of block, you then get the price of your build say 170k , this then can go up with the pre earthworks if they hit rock blah blahg. You go for the prestart where you pick everything from bricks to bloody taps ,you upgrade to your wants ,this can shoot the price up about anything to 50 k , oyu then need blinds ,floorings ,painting ,fencing and landscaping . We had landscaping in with the land as well as side fencing, also soakwells they provide you with one ,otheres at extra cost. Landscaping we get grass ,retic and plants .We still have to do the paving and hard landscaping ,paths etc. The costs can add up , the outside still need doing as wellas the painting even if you go for display spec

oh ok. . .. time to get a grip lol! There are expenses galore to look into.

Are you saying that they do not paint the inside and outside of the house for the all inclusive cost?

I can see how these costs add up.

can anyone else think of anything that does not seem to be included?

Jenny

Are you saying that they do not paint the inside and outside of the house for the all inclusive cost?

Jenny

Garden gnomes:wubclub:

Jenny

You get the doors and exterior painted but the interior walls are not and its not cheap for a 4 x 2 been quoted $5000

Where they built was Mount Waverley. They had a corner block already with an old house on it which they bulldozed so that helped. They are lucky because their area 'took off' partly because of the good schools in the area and walking distance from Syndal station

Just read the details carefully. A good idea is to ask how much the showhome would cost to build. It will be the same design but with extras.

Ours was fully painted inside and out extras were aircon ($11,000), extra insulation, extra lighting, TV points, aerial, lanscaping/irrigation ($10,000), fencing ($8,000), then window dressings, tiling, carpets, upgrades on bathroom fittings and kitchen etc etc etc

It can add up but we did expect it and had all these added to the contract before we signed so we knew what the final cost would be. We still had extra to pay for unforseens like extra drainage points and a bigger electricity supply a few more grand!!

Thanks rammygirl. That post was really helpful. Where did you end up building and are you happy there?

Jenny

Hello All

I was just wondering, Most of the extra cost seem to be cosmetic (painting, tiling)

Can you arange it so you can do these things yourself?

And if so how much will they let you get involved with as in Im a plumber and could do much of the work myself along with the tiling of floors and walls, and tbh if you can pis5 you can paint (plumbers luv saying that ). so could you say get the price for all in and then try the old,,well drop the 5k painting and such,,,and would they honor it and be accomadating? I know you cant speak for all of them but based on general experience all input welcome.

Thanks

Kev

Kev

I'm sure you could negotiate for them to leave the final fix stuff for you to do - at least with some builders - certainly the flooring. I guess they then couldn't guarantee the work though and won't be keen to come and put things right. Most builders for instance will come back and make good decoration after settlement cracks in the first year but probably not if you DIY?

Jeza

We built in the Adelaide Hills - we rent the property out as we are in the UK at the moment. We were happy with the build - we took one of their designs and adapted it slightly no problems.

We were actually in the UK when the build started so we had a friend out there keep an eye on it for us. We went out for the handover to see it in the flesh for the first time (lots of pics before hand) and were genuinely impressed - they had done everything we asked for.

Mel

Hello All

I was just wondering, Most of the extra cost seem to be cosmetic (painting, tiling)

Can you arange it so you can do these things yourself?

And if so how much will they let you get involved with as in Im a plumber and could do much of the work myself along with the tiling of floors and walls, and tbh if you can pis5 you can paint (plumbers luv saying that ). so could you say get the price for all in and then try the old,,well drop the 5k painting and such,,,and would they honor it and be accomadating? I know you cant speak for all of them but based on general experience all input welcome.

Thanks

Kev

I was told i could build my own kev,if i remember correctly they were willing to pay me the going rate,same as any other bricky i suppose?never went into great detail tbh

I’ve had 2 houses built, the 1st by the ex father in law and the 2nd one by a company. My advice would be asking how much the display costs because the price you are quoted is for the most basic house. Then remember curtains and light fitting are extra again.

Also find out how much they allow for your floor and wall tiles + carpet then which company they use, that way you can see for yourself what you will get for your money and what you will get is very basic. Bricks and roof tiles are another cost killer as you find they use the best bricks along with the tiles but quote on the cheapest. Your slab is another one where they quote on the cheapest but you find no matter where you want to build that slab is no good.

If landscaping is included in the costs make sure they don’t just give you a budget for this, make sure the work is done, as the price they quote for these things is not enough for you to get done on your own, costing you more money.

If you want feature walls that will cost extra, if you want your own lights fitted that will cost extra, everything you want will cost extra.

Another thing of you get your house built pay for independent advice, write it into the contract that you will not except the house if it is not 100% also get it written into the contract on completion dates and fines if the work is not completed on time, everything the sales person offers make sure it is written in to the contract, the sales person is paid on commission so will offer you the world but deliver nothing and deny everything!

Thanks All

A lot to look out for but still sounds like a plan.

Good advice

All the best

Kev

there is nothing like living in a house that is built for you and your needs, but like everything you just need to keep your eyes open

Great advice tracy, thanks very much. when they list all the inclusions it looks like alot right down to the laundry sink and a fancy kitchen. (Porter Dasvies build and the like) But it sounds as if so many other basics are missing. Would you say this is the case?

Guest Toorak Trev

Jenny

Jenny the land is the most valuable component

New houses on estates depreciate in the first few years due to inconvenience of later stage building and the time taking for infrastructure to get established.

Also watch out when some people quote higher prices in same estates as the true cost might be lower ie higher paid price but more items included with standard. This is happening in Caroline Springs to intice people into new homes.

Land in new estates is also basically a give away as the builders make there profits from the building (hence covenants on estates to which builder and type of house you can construct).

$10k to demolish a house on existing block and build any particular Porter Davis etc home you want. Just ensure the block exceeds 500sqm so no council issues.

Guest jeza

Thanks so much trev, you make some really good points.

The new house are tempting, but as you have guessed i am suspicious of these areas.

would you consider areas like berwick and cranbourne as new? They are far from the city, but do seem to have infrastucture and shiops, schools etc. Are new areas like officera nd lynbrook for example? We are thinking of building on the fringes of a new area that has good infrastruture such as berwick for example. As you know through our private messaging we are considering lots of areas. . . .so many to choose from, but none seem AMAZING. Just all kind of ok.

Mornington is AMAZING but too far out and asking too much in my opinion given how far it is from the city and the effect that this has on capital gain

Love to here your thoughts trev

jenny

Archived