Is the world cup good for England?

tracy123

Guest chris955

What can't be done in the UK ? A very small % of 'fans' can't be trusted and I don't really call them fans.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest daveintaiwan
It's ridiculous, it could happen after any sporting event in any country

Yes, it would be interesting to know if there was a marked increase in these stats after England's 27-17 defeat against Oz in the rugby international on Sat? Or maybe all the rugby fans waited until after the footie before they went home to cause mayhem? Was there a crime spree in Perth late Saturday afternoon?

Guest Working to fish

The truth for ozzies is they dont give a four x for football ,no fighting in oz over football ,just get in the ute and shoot a roo.:yes:

Guest guest36762
it's great to see the flags flying, the get togethers and all of that pride that people say doesn't exist in England anymore

Is it? I find outward displays of Nationalism quite nauseating actually. Especially those ridiculous little flags on cars..they've even copied that here eg Geelong Cats at Grand Final time (yawn). The other thing which really winds me up (and also copied here) is the need for TV news to show large gatherings of people looking anxiously at a large TV screen (and ultimately watching the England football team fu7K it up:biglaugh:). I don't like seeing lots of people desperately all wanting the same outcome...how dull:jiggy:

Guest guest36762
Let's say we agree to disagree on most things, the way a good Aussie POM relationship should be :wubclub:

Can't we go back to winding each other up?:wink:

Is it? I find outward displays of Nationalism quite nauseating actually. Especially those ridiculous little flags on cars..they've even copied that here eg Geelong Cats at Grand Final time (yawn). The other thing which really winds me up (and also copied here) is the need for TV news to show large gatherings of people looking anxiously at a large TV screen (and ultimately watching the England football team fu7K it up:biglaugh:). I don't like seeing lots of people desperately all wanting the same outcome...how dull:jiggy:

Really. Its good to get behind your country, people should be patriotic and cheer there country on in sporting events. Even if it is short lived for England/Australia lol.

I'll partly disagree with you instead then to keep you happy :) I don't think either thing is copied from the UK - every country is perfectly capable of producing its own overly nationalistic people all by themselves :biglaugh:

The world cup is once every 4 years ffs:mad:, so what if people want to fly flags and get behind the team, its great that everyone in the country can get behind one team instead of sniping between Man Utd/Chealsea/Liverpool fans etc. Finding displays of nationalism quite nauseating is a very odd thing to say imo!

Guest guest36762
Finding displays of nationalism quite nauseating is a very odd thing to say imo!

Do you like it when you see USA being outwardly nationalistic? Or like me do you find it obnoxious? I'm proud to be English, but simply don't find the need to wave an England flag, or watch a match on a giant TV screen. The media, rabid and manipulative beast that it is, loves to milk these things. Think Henman Hill (puke) in the UK, or ANZAC day here. It just leaves me cold, sorry..actually I'm not sorry

Oh and on the subject on burying club rivalry, that doesn't appear to be the case for the England football team. Even now, they're probably worried they might get a knock before the premiership starts in august. Thats mainly how they lost that stupid friendly against Oz a few years back, (and the 11 substitutions) they couldn't give a toss

Guest guest36762
I like patriotism but hate over the top flag waving and what it has become.

here here Chris, glad to see someone else talks sense!

Guest chris955

Well some don't think so but blinkers can be a little blinding :wink:

So a bit of flag waving for a couple of weeks every four years really bothers you does it?:biglaugh::nah:

Guest guest36762
So a bit of flag waving for a couple of weeks every four years really bothers you does it?:biglaugh::nah:

er, yeah

Archived