Is the world cup good for England?

tracy123

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
er, yeah

So you can be bothered to tell all that you dislike people waving flags for a short period of time but dont know why,:biglaugh:

I'm on the fence on this one. I love the way people get pride and natioalism in their bellies at worl cup time but sometimes i cringe at the way national flags are abused.

By all means fly the flag but a little "flag etiquett" would be in order.

:eek:

Guest guest36762
So you can be bothered to tell all that you dislike people waving flags for a short period of time but dont know why,:biglaugh:

you got it

Guest daveintaiwan
I love the way people get pride and natioalism in their bellies at world cup time but sometimes I cringe at the way national flags are abused. By all means fly the flag but a little "flag etiquette" would be in order.

I agree. Excessively large flags being waved in people's faces reminds me of people who feel the need to buy designer clothes with the label written in 12" high letters across the front. "LOOK AT ME, I'M WEARING DKNY!" they scream as walk down the street. Unnecessary!

My "flag etiquette". Anyone with more?...

1) No flags indoors - unless signed by members of a national team and tastefully framed.

2) No flags on poles on front lawns - the only exception being coastal properties where they may be allowed, but only if the flag of that country is flown, so as not to confuse shipwrecked sailors and illegal immigrants.

3) No flags in car rear windows - your rear mirror is NOT there so that you can see your flag.

4) Flags on clothing, luggage, car stickers etc. should be no bigger than 6"x4". Club / national jerseys are acceptable, but preferably only worn for the sporting event.

5) Obviously, all above rules should be completely ignored for several hours after the World Cup Final, if England win it! :wink:

Guest gratom

Given that Australians are obssessed by sport[as Donald Horne pointed out in hs seminal text on Australia;'The Lucky Country'--its the only thing they excel at!!!!}.The domestic violence figures etc must be astronomic.Feel free to discuss this among yourselves I'm off for a coffee.:huh:

Do you like it when you see USA being outwardly nationalistic? Or like me do you find it obnoxious? I'm proud to be English, but simply don't find the need to wave an England flag, or watch a match on a giant TV screen. The media, rabid and manipulative beast that it is, loves to milk these things. Think Henman Hill (puke) in the UK, or ANZAC day here. It just leaves me cold, sorry..actually I'm not sorry

Oh and on the subject on burying club rivalry, that doesn't appear to be the case for the England football team. Even now, they're probably worried they might get a knock before the premiership starts in august. Thats mainly how they lost that stupid friendly against Oz a few years back, (and the 11 substitutions) they couldn't give a toss

I don't think you need to defend yourself against accusations you aren't a proud nationalist....the words in bold above prove you are :wink:

Excessive flag waving bothers me too. Mainly because unfortunately excessive waving of the flag is often stolen as a symbol of the closed minded nationalist. It's more extreme nationalism I dislike rather than the act of waving the flag. People who just do it it for a bit of patriotic sporting fun are ok - it is the hijacking by tossers who do it to marginalise others that bothers me.

Given that Australians are obssessed by sport[as Donald Horne pointed out in hs seminal text on Australia;'The Lucky Country'--its the only thing they excel at!!!!}.The domestic violence figures etc must be astronomic.Feel free to discuss this among yourselves I'm off for a coffee.:huh:

Thanks. We've all discussed it and decided that "Is the world cup good for England?" is a more interesting topic :biglaugh:

Archived