Visa Capping - Senate Inquiry

Guest Aussie2B

How can the government expects to attract health professionals to work here in Australia? It is a must to validate the skills before applying to a job, so the government expects that people spend lot of money coming here to do the written and practical tests and come back to their countries to look for an sponsor?

They must be crazy don't they?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest keenuz

one thing is for sure chris evans ended australian education industry. coming to australia for higher studies is the 4th choice in my country,, why doctor or engineer will go to australia for masters if he has choices like America,Canada and England

wake up evans

But I cannot simply put the blame on the government alone.! Blame should also be on the Students abusing the system too.!!! - Hope evrything comes out good and everyone wins!!

While I share you sentiment, those students shouldnt be blamed really. They saw an opportunity and they took it.

As much as we can make out "those selfish opportunistic students screwed up the system", end of the day everyone looks after their own needs before anyone elses.

The government and the PR factory operators (I refuse to call them colleges as they arent worthy of being referred to as) were never made accountable for the PR fiaso, so shouldnt be the students who came out as the losers in this whole saga.

Picture the scenario

cap and cease takes effect and some of us are culled and our visa treated as never being lodged, we cant complain against this action. We then have to wait to get our refund. Some of us think lets take this further because if our visa was never received how on earth did the Oz government get our credit card details to take the visa fee. We take advice effectively as we think surely a fraud has taken place here. Our agents are told you cant sue us as you entered the cc details on your clients visa application form . is this the same visa application form that wasnt even lodged.???

Cant have it both ways guys.

Best possible solution . Put a temporary hold on all new applications for 12 months and deal with the mess you created . Allow all current apps offshore on onshore have thre visa processed fairly in accordance with the rules that were in force. My philosophy is this. If you havent lodged yet another 12 months is not going to Kill you.

Shane

Picture the scenario

cap and cease takes effect and some of us are culled and our visa treated as never being lodged, we cant complain against this action. We then have to wait to get our refund. Some of us think lets take this further because if our visa was never received how on earth did the Oz government get our credit card details to take the visa fee. We take advice effectively as we think surely a fraud has taken place here. Our agents are told you cant sue us as you entered the cc details on your clients visa application form . is this the same visa application form that wasnt even lodged.???

Or, how about reporting DIAC to ACCC (Australian Competition and Consumer Commission) that they took the visa fees, asked for required documents (sponsorships, skill assessment, IELTS) and did not provide the service OR did not provide the full refund of all associated cost of PR.

In my case, my overall cost to date is $7263 of which $2525 is the visa fees. Making the court make immigration pay for all associated costs will nearly triple the amount they need to payout as refund and make them think twice about touching your application.

Radical idea, but surely there is some possibility?

how about reporting DIAC to ACCC (Australian Competition and Consumer Commission)
DIAC only acts on instructions from the minister so that would probably be a waste of time,no the ultimate responsibility lies with the minister and the government,not the department.

If the minister instructs DIAC to cap and cease certain applications do you really think a case officer,or even the secretary,Mr Metcalfe is going to say no?

Sorry guys,I really feel for anyone affected by this,I sympathise with all of you but I think we need to remember that there is really only one person who has to take the blame here and that is Senator Evans.

Picture the scenario

Cant have it both ways guys.

Best possible solution . Put a temporary hold on all new applications for 12 months and deal with the mess you created . Allow all current apps offshore on onshore have thre visa processed fairly in accordance with the rules that were in force. My philosophy is this. If you havent lodged yet another 12 months is not going to Kill you.

Shane

Food for thought Shane.

If they are going to refund some people their visa application fee, will it be at the current exchange rate? If so, a lot of people who applied when the exchange rate was higher will be well out of pocket. I smell a few thousand court cases looming.

Cheers,

John:hug:

DIAC only acts on instructions from the minister so that would probably be a waste of time,no the ultimate responsibility lies with the minister and the government,not the department.

If the minister instructs DIAC to cap and cease certain applications do you really think a case officer,or even the secretary,Mr Metcalfe is going to say no?

Minister belongs to DIAC is part of the whole package. Either way, DIAC is responsible, regardless who did the capping (whether internal or external).

I smell a few thousand court cases looming.

Cheers,

Mate, if things happen for the worse, DIAC's gonna have hell to pay. Not saying out of emotion but think about it, given this nutters comes up with a vague bill with no proper fine prints, he is going to get butchered in the court.

I've suggested it before - European Court of Human Rights. No Aussie Court will rule against it's own Government, especially a Labour one. Get a bunch of people, a lawyer willing to work ex gratia and you will see one of the biggest back pedals and payouts in World history.

Guest jigish
Senator Chris Evans—There will also be regional differences in terms of the state of the various regional economies. That has been reflected. We have also seen a strong demand for medical professionals, et cetera, but we saw a drop-off in the lower trades levels as the economy contracted. But registered nurses, computer professionals, medical practitioners in training and medical practitioners were still at the top. So the high- skilled areas where demand for health does not drop off with the economy—in fact, it probably goes up as the economy goes down as depression, for example, and other things set in—but in other areas, such as construction trades, we saw a larger drop-off, being more responsive.

I think where you might see some impact of the changes is at the trades levels. I think the introduction of more strict English requirement levels and trade testing will see some of those areas tighten and see fewer applications. Quite frankly, that is a good thing because where we had abuse it was at that end where people with poor English language skills and dubious trade qualifications were being brought in and exploited. I would hope there is some changed behaviour at that end, because part of the reforms was to try to fix that problem. But in terms of the professional end of the market, it is pretty steady.

I think it's quite clear that medical and IT professions will be exempted, and the chopping will be done on trade occupations.

What say, guys??

Food for thought Shane.

If they are going to refund some people their visa application fee, will it be at the current exchange rate? If so, a lot of people who applied when the exchange rate was higher will be well out of pocket. I smell a few thousand court cases looming.

Cheers,

Yes matey,

There are lot of other factors which will go into the court of law.But that can only be done either by the people who are in Australia or by the agents or solicitors.

I think it's quite clear that medical and IT professions will be exempted, and the chopping will be done on trade occupations.

What say, guys??

Hi Jigish

From the quote i would narrow it down to actually some trade occupations where the applicants have poor english and no real experience in the job.

I think eventually IT would be the next to get hit .

Shane

Hi Jigish

From the quote i would narrow it down to actually some trade occupations where the applicants have poor english and no real experience in the job.

I think eventually IT would be the next to get hit .

Shane

I think I would agree with you here because they have specifically mentioned Language skills.

Again, although they have mentioned Computer professionals they have not specified which field. I don't think all are in demand because otherwise they would have all been in the new SOL

Yes matey,

There are lot of other factors which will go into the court of law.But that can only be done either by the people who are in Australia or by the agents or solicitors.

European Court of Human Rights seems like a good place to start for me, although I dont think it will come to that, I have done my own calculations and its finacial suicide to refund thousands of potential migrants. The Australian government only recently got dragged through the media for spending $37 million of the taxpayers money on Public Relations, so can you imagine the outcry if they start parting with hundreds of millions of dollars?

I am not sure if Evans has thought this through properly. Political Suicide also.

Keep the Faith my Friend.

Guest babboo

Hi !

the situation in India...

The advertisements in the news papers have gone down like hell where the MARA agents advertised to come and study/live in Australia. The seminars as late as 2009 by the present government advertising their esteemed schools and colleges... B**L S**t. No one really(Few) wants to come to Australia to study... It was and it is a path to prosperity(read PR) and this is the motive for most of us.. Nice green and open spaces and abundance of opportunities ... A real open mixed society..... and in few cases joining our only family.......

Now the restrictions.. Cap n Cease... They will lose money like hell in the education sector... This is for sure... The general Australian public will not know... And this is not going to be an issue in the forth coming elections... So, brace up... For being capped...

This has all happening because of the polices of Chris Evans. Who is responsible for all this ? The Howard government ? No.... They needed man power... and they still need them..Its a vast country and lots of resources are still untouched...

They should (DIAC and the Australian Government) understand and manage the system and the inflow more effectively...

Cheers

I'm not convinced that the European Court of Human Rights would get you anywhere.

The dispute would be with the Australian government, no doubt covered by Australian laws, and I suspect that the small print in the terms and conditions of applying for a visa says that complaints are heard in an Australian court.

In short, it's way outside the jurisdiction of the European Court of Human Rights.

DIAC has said that it will be focusing on more highly trained professions and trades, and cutting back on the less skilled, particularly where it is easy to train up local workers.

IT is in demand, and the ACS requirements for a positive skills assessment are a degree and at least four years full time employment. I don't expect it to get hit anytime soon, but if there is a flood of poorly qualified programmers attempting to get into Australia then it might well change.

Guest wobob

IT is in demand, and the ACS requirements for a positive skills assessment are a degree and at least four years full time employment. I don't expect it to get hit anytime soon, but if there is a flood of poorly qualified programmers attempting to get into Australia then it might well change.

I sincerely hope it doesn't get hit. It's all very well Mr Evans saying he wants people to get jobs before visas but has he actually looked at IT jobs on the likes of SEEK? - 99.9% of IT job adverts state in big bold letters that you must have the appropriate work visa BEFORE applying for a job. Does he really think we like the prospect of landing on the other side of the planet with no job lined up? I'd love it if my OH could secure a job and THEN we get a visa and go, but it just doesn't seem to be possible in the IT sector, unless you are a IT shadow ninja.

I've heard that it's difficult to get your first job in Australia, and I suspect that being on the other side of the world makes it harder.

Anyway, if you're at the Police Check and Medical stage then your visa must be just about ready.

Guest eddie

Hi wobob, its not just IT, its all the jobs (as far as I can see), require the same thing. The right to live/work in Oz before applying for a job!!

As you and others say how are you supposed to do that, when you live on the other side of the world?

Do companies that advertise these positions (one I looked at has had the same/similar job advertised on seek for 8 mths), ever fill them? or just give up?

Do many (any) companies know about ENS etc? How much time and effort do they have to put in to be "eligible" to give migrants job offers? How much does it cost them (time & effort as well as $?)

Excuse my ignorance, but I think these could be the problems we face trying to obtain job offers, and then a visa? (as well as the obvious!!)

Paul

Guest thelongwait

Yeah, i think the australian government underestimate how fast news spreads around the world these days. i work in an australian language school and our student numbers have really gone down these last couple of months. nearly all our students have somehow heard already of the rule changes and the potential further changes. nobody will want to study in australia any more.

problem is that there are some jobs, like hairdressing, kitchen work, dishwashing, motor mechanic, that not many Aussies want to do themselves. hard work and low pay, low prospects for promotion etc. So who is going to do these jobs in future?

and as for the idea that skilled migrants should obtain sponsorship from employees, this isnt easy these days. companies in australia, even the large multinationals, are increasingly offering contract work only, in case there is another recession. they don't want the responsibility of sponsoring someone.

Archived