Visa Capping - Senate Inquiry

Guest Aussie2B

No offence but no body ever promised that SOL would remain the same. Everyone should do independent research before making a well informed decision. And everyone should have realized that MODL and SOL have been changed in the past. (eg IT 2005)

What this woman did was cruel and irresponsible to her family. I can't understand whats so horrible about going back home ?

What we don't realize is when a person comes from a country like India to study in Australia, he or she has to take a big bank loan which leaves them with absolutely nothing. With the 20 working hours a week a student gets, it is difficult to find a job and therefore you end up using your entire life time savings (sometimes family savings) to live the 2 years here also because of the low exchange rate, etc. After your studies, if that person has to take his education back to his home country to use, he will probably get a job but will have to work for the next 15-20 years in a big city only to pay back the loan (salary levels are very low) leave out cost of living in a big city, whereas it will take only 4-5 years to return back the loan if the person is able to work in Australia on full time basis. For a newly married couple and worst still, if you are from a smaller town where you will have to probably work for another 25-30 years, that means he or she has absolutely nothing left to live for. This is what makes it horrible to return to your own home country.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anya
No offence but no body ever promised that SOL would remain the same. Everyone should do independent research before making a well informed decision. And everyone should have realized that MODL and SOL have been changed in the past. (eg IT 2005)

What this woman did was cruel and irresponsible to her family. I can't understand whats so horrible about going back home ?

We shouldn't pass judgment on her or what she did as we just don't know what her mental state was before she took this extreme step. The latest blow from immigration could have just been the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back...just so very sad :-(

Guest Jane1991

I suggested that "what she did" was irresponsible. A very subtle difference ... from saying that "she was irresponsible"

Suicide is murder like abortion but I realize how it can be viewed as noble and courageous in Japanese and other cultures.Sorry if I stepped on someones toes

I suggested that "what she did" was irresponsible. A very subtle difference ... from saying that "she was irresponsible"

Suicide is murder like abortion but I realize how it can be viewed as noble and courageous in Japanese and other cultures.Sorry if I stepped on someones toes

I agree with you that suicide is murder like abortion and any other attacks. I also feel that murder is not necessarily committed with a knife but can be done with the tongue as well and this could have far more repurcussions. However regardless, my heart goes out to this girl, she was going through a trying time and although I may not know what it was, her action says it all. She obviously would not have taken such a drastic step for frivolous reasons, there was stress building up inside. To all I woiuld like to say is that don't let this situation take over your lives. Just take a deep breath and carrying on living.

Guest Kiraloo

Whether suicide is murder like abortion is highly debatable and depends on one's approach to morals and ethics in general as well as cultural differences and circumstances.:huh:

Change of topic:

What I find irresponsible is the fact that Australian Diplomas and certain other Australian qualifications are advertised on the internet as globally recognised qualifications.

This is totally untrue!

I'm really fed up reading such nonsense and hope that prospective International students conduct research and gather info from their home countries to avoid disappointment.

It's another reason why many Students don't want to return to their home countries.

Some qualifications are recognised in other English speaking countries and selected countries while the majority are not.

I spoke with many International students from a variety of countries and they confirmed that their home countries will not accept aquired Diplomas etc.

The only thing that may look good in your CV would be aquired work experience and good English skills.

I think that Degrees and Masters are more likely to be accepted internationally.

Regards

Could someone cleverer than me explain why it appears that International students who are presently studying here, can apply for PR until 2012 from the existing SOL, but students who have already completed their studies, face being capped, even though they have already lodged a valid application, before the introduction of the new list???

Because if capping goes ahead, they will try weed out the good ones from the bad, at the same time not detering new applicants. Its hard to tell who is good and who isn't good until they lodge their PR.

You might ask, then why not stop the unwanted ones from applying in first place? Say if you make them wait 3-6 months and then cease their application, you at least "borrowed" the $2525 for few months with no interest and made a bit in IELTS and meds and other side costs.

Who wouldn't want interest free cash in economic downturn.

Or can current students only apply for the 485 visa up to 2012, but would theoretically then be able to still apply for PR, from the old list?

The rules are a bit bizarre here. You can apply for 485 until 31 December 2012 and nominate a skill from the old SOL however, when it comes to applying for PR, you need to nominate from the new SOL.

Which begs the question, if my occupation is not in new SOL why on God's earth would I bother for TR when there is no chance of me getting PR?

Suicide can never be noble and courageous. Its the most worst decision an educated man will ever take.

Guest Jane1991

The rules are a bit bizarre here. You can apply for 485 until 31 December 2012 and nominate a skill from the old SOL however, when it comes to applying for PR, you need to nominate from the new SOL.

Which begs the question, if my occupation is not in new SOL why on God's earth would I bother for TR when there is no chance of me getting PR?

Thats government policy. With these 'transitional arrangements' they can tell Australian public that they have cared for the overseas students by providing a "pathway" for those who have the skills and 'a link to the labor market' .

Evans repeated the whole pathway thing ad nauseam in his interview with Peter Mares. But the truth is its very hard to find a job on TR and get ENS.

He wants to cushion the negative publicity and slow the blow so to speak ... then send of students back home in little batches of 100 rather a 20000 in one go.

Thats government policy. With these 'transitional arrangements' they can tell Australian public that they have cared for the overseas students by providing a "pathway" for those who have the skills and 'a link to the labor market' .

Evans repeated the whole pathway thing ad nauseam in his interview with Peter Mares. But the truth is its very hard to find a job on TR and get ENS.

He wants to cushion the negative publicity and slow the blow so to speak ... then send of students back home in little batches of 100 rather a 20000 in one go.

Yep. I think non-new SOL ones can apply via employer sponsorship. I don't know how that works really but thats the only route for cooks and hairdressers who don't make the cut with old SOL.

I am guessing that this arrangement is to find an employer in 18 months (duration of 485) and get sponsorship from them. But even on employer sponsorship, wouldn't they still have to nominate an occupation on new SOL? If it is, its more of a dead-end than a pathway.

We shouldn't pass judgment on her or what she did as we just don't know what her mental state was before she took this extreme step. The latest blow from immigration could have just been the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back...just so very sad :-(

i agree that we should' t criticize a dead person. but whatever happens to immi laws, one shouldn't that extreme step. family is important kids are important, not your desires.

RIP

Guest Jamie Smith

In some countries women are second class citizens and would get beaten for failing at something. In other countries, the humiliation of spending the family's savings or the family taking on debt and failing to obtain a visa to allow family to migrate in the longer term is a huge burden on the individual.

Interesting figures from last year (See the occupation table):

Skilled migration changes deliver more workers Australia needs

The analysis clearly shows that the changes made in January 2009 led to an increase in the visa grants to registered nurses (+1156), computing professionals (+844), engineers (total increase of 2067) and doctors (+551).

At the same time the occupations recording the biggest falls in primary visa grants were cooks, chefs and pastry cooks (-2102), accountants (-1851) and hairdressers (-767).

This means that cooks and hairdressers have been under the radar since last year.

Just reading through the threads to catch up, so excuse me if I speak out of term. But surely wouldn't it make sense that when they start to process the visas to look at each individual case and see who can offer the states what they need.

I am a hairdresser who has always been in the world of hairdressing, own a salon, working towards my teaching exam to educate the young. (Which I do have to say, the student does not have the salon experience when completing the course and training is still needed). So surely in this case I should hopefully be rewarded with my visa, or are they going to push my application aside like many others and refund my money back?

Surely though, when you apply for the TRA, your application and work history is thoroughly checked, otherwise why give you the TRA. It surely must be the same with the State Sponsorship, why sponsor the applicant, if they don't want you?

I have been reading Senator Evans Media Releases and Speeches, and have taken section from his Feb 2010 speech, as I feel that it might give some of us a positive thought. It will be interesting to see if he sticks to his words.

Changes to Australia's skilled migration program

Chris Evans: Changes to Australia's skilled migration program

Under new priority processing arrangements that take effect from today, migrants nominated by a State and Territory government under their State Migration Plan will be processed ahead of applications for independent skilled migration.

The changes announced today will apply prospectively. All persons who applied for independent skilled migration since September 2007, as well as holders and applicants of skilled graduate visas will be treated under existing arrangements.

That means, for example, they can still get MODL points and still be eligible for a visa under the existing Skilled Occupations List even if their nominated occupation does not feature on the new list from the middle of this year.

I reiterate though that priority processing arrangements which favour employer sponsored migrants and those nominated by State and Territory governments will remain in place.

Good Luck to All...

Guest Gollywobbler
Interesting figures from last year (See the occupation table):

Skilled migration changes deliver more workers Australia needs

The analysis clearly shows that the changes made in January 2009 led to an increase in the visa grants to registered nurses (+1156), computing professionals (+844), engineers (total increase of 2067) and doctors (+551).

At the same time the occupations recording the biggest falls in primary visa grants were cooks, chefs and pastry cooks (-2102), accountants (-1851) and hairdressers (-767).

This means that cooks and hairdressers have been under the radar since last year.

Hi tcillic

The figures have been distorted by wheels within wheels, I reckon.

Apparently vast numbers of Cooks, Hairdressers and Accountants have applied for GSM visas. It is obvious that DIAC have been told not to process a lot of the applications, even when these people have had State sponsorship for many months.

I reckon that a lot hinges on whether or not the Minister gets his new Visa Capping Bill into Law. If he gets the powers, AND his Government gets re-elected AND Krudd decides to keep the internationally unpopular Evabs as his Minister for Immi, then I reckon that Evans will decimate the GSM applications backlog.

God knows whether Evans might have the decency to resign if his Visa Capping Bill is thrown out of Parliament.....

Cheers

Gill

Originally Posted by rajinmelb viewpost.gif

Hi All, few days back a girl comitted sucide after she came to know that she cannot apply for PR after 8th Feb 2010. she was so stressed that she din't even thought abt her few months old child and her husband, Don't know if the capping rule is passed how many more people will commit sucide because these people came here with a dream, some of them put everything on stake. God help those poor souls

Can you please tell me the source of the news? When and where this incident happened exactly, so that I can search it on Google.

Thanks

Think this might be the news story. Wake up Chris Evans you can not play with peoples lives.

When the dream turns into a nightmare

According to the article there have been 7 suicides in 6 months in the Indian student community in Melbourne.

Along with the bungled housing insulation scheme deaths the hands of this Government are drenched in blood.

There will be a lot more before the year end I suspect.

Interesting that there is no institutional support to speak of - shows how isolated students are politically - and I would suggest that any of you attending education institutions of high standing could consider asking those institutions for letters of support. Having a couple of universities on your side might make a difference.

I'm not really surprised little support has come from educational institutions. They are as bad as the Government, promising the Earth and trying to entice as many as possible to come here and fill their coffers, then treat them like dirt once they are here.

Adelaide University shut down the Overseas Students Association and Postgraduate Student Association websites recently after local students lobbied the Vice-Chancellor. He duly obliged and shut off one of best resources and networks for overseas students to connect with each other - and discuss immigration changes!

The same local students are now trying to shut down both associations, which are incorporated independent bodies and nearly 50 years old.

Higher education policy for International Students follows a simple pattern here:

Entice, fleece, ignore, isolate, disconnect, deport.

If there is any support from these institutions it will be speaking from the bank balance not the heart.

The following link takes you to a petition website where an Established International Student Organization in Australia, based in Melbourne have put the effort to write a petition to the Immigration Minister, Sen Evans and it asks for the Government to give better Transitionary arrangements for the many Intl' students already studying here and are about to graduate and are affected by the Sudden changes in the Skilled Occupation List, active from July 2010 onwards.

Better transitionary measures for General Skilled Migration visas Petition

What's striking is that if you look at the original figures that tcillc linked to (here), the number of cooks and chefs fell by just over half, and hairdressers by two thirds. Accountants, meanwhile, were down by a fifth.

My guess would be that post 2010 we'll see fewer accountants in the statistics. DIAC have said that very few who nominate this profession actually end up working in it upon arrival, suggesting that it's seen as an easy way in. If CPA membership becomes a requirement for priority processing then the requirements become a lot higher.

I'm not sure whether the figures refer to the calendar year or programme year. The September 23rd changes will have distorted things, and I'd expect this to be more apparent when the 2010 figures are released in 12 months time.

My guess would be that post 2010 we'll see fewer accountants in the statistics. DIAC have said that very few who nominate this profession actually end up working in it upon arrival, suggesting that it's seen as an easy way in. If CPA membership becomes a requirement for priority processing then the requirements become a lot higher..

Well, I am an Accounting Student and my basic aim is to become a CPA and serve as an Australian CPA for the rest of my life, until I explore the Americas and UK later on, according to my progress. But , Well, Since this data abt very few ppl ending up doing an Accounting job really cautions me. To be on the safe side, I am going to work my way right now in securing myself the Accounting jobs available. I am starting my work life venture right now, even before my studies are going to be finished, so that I wont even mistakingly be considered as one of those ONLY PR wanting Student.! Im gonna give back what this country has given me, and will give me!!!

Im securing myself a Genuine place in this Country.! :radar:

I'm also at the start of a degree majoring in accounting/Industrial relations and workplace health and safety (a bit diverse I know, but keeping my options open) The degree I am doing has degree requirements. Providing I complete the requirements I will be recognised and also have CPA status. According to the Uni website this is from 2010.

What this means is a certain set of subjects and GPA and a 260 credit point degree, rather than a 240

Do you think the Uni's knew something was coming.......

Steph

xxxx

Well, I am an Accounting Student and my basic aim is to become a CPA and serve as an Australian CPA for the rest of my life, until I explore the Americas and UK later on, according to my progress. But , Well, Since this data abt very few ppl ending up doing an Accounting job really cautions me. To be on the safe side, I am going to work my way right now in securing myself the Accounting jobs available. I am starting my work life venture right now, even before my studies are going to be finished, so that I wont even mistakingly be considered as one of those ONLY PR wanting Student.! Im gonna give back what this country has given me, and will give me!!!

Im securing myself a Genuine place in this Country.! :radar:

Good luck to you, you'll certainly earn at least 3 if not 4 times the amount of money in the UK. I think that's why accountants do not continue in their nominated job when they arrive, the pay is pretty poor...

Steph

xxxx

Guest jains005
Suicide can never be noble and courageous. Its the most worst decision an educated man will ever take.

i wouldnt call it a decision. Undergoing the similar stress most of us can understand how our thinking was stopped for atleast many days. No learned philosophies were helpful. Thanks to the Power which held the hands not to act out of emotions and to survive the stress.

Ranjith, I think that you're doing exactly the right thing. Good luck!

The UK is tightening up on its immigration laws for non-EU citizens. However, as a professional you'll probably have more chance of getting in.

It's quite hard to emigrate to the US these days, but that's a holdover of the George Bush days. Bear in mind that it took my brother two or three years after getting married to be given a Green Card. I suspect that once the economy there pulls out of recession (and that might take a few years) they'll be more open.

Steph, I didn't realise that accountants were that badly paid in Oz. Salaries for IT and medical staff seem to be broadly on a par with the UK.

Archived