Australia Skill Shortages New SOL List

connaust

Australia Skill Shortages SOL List

The future mix of skilled local workers and immigrants will reshape the nation WITHOUT a better qualified workforce, Australia will have to resort to the quick fix of much higher numbers of skilled migrants in the years ahead.

Under one scenario outlined in a report handed recently to the Rudd government, the skills deficit would amount to 250,000 job positions a year in the next five years alone.

In the next 15 years, a staggering 9.2 million job openings have been forecast, with just more than half driven by economic growth and the rest by the ageing population.

Australia would have no choice but to import skilled migrants on a vast scale to do the work that the domestic population is unable or unwilling to do.

This article appeared in the print version of "The Weekend Australian" and included a table headed "Skills we Need" selected from a draft list of 91, with final SOL version being bit different..... no cookery, hairdressing, horticulture etc. etc.

Guest pippa1

Mmmm very interesting.

All this talk about VET training, the role of TAFE and the need for literacy courses, why are vocational teachers not even mentioned on the draft SOL list?

As a VET teacher working in TAFE with a literacy major, why am i still bottom of the prioritisation list if training is such a key policy area?

Confused again:confused:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Pippa

I agree with you and I have made connaust's thread sticky because the article that he gives the links to seems to me to highlight several different issues.

I think that VET Teachers are on the new Workforce Australia list (or whatever it is called) that Skills Australia recently pushed at the Aussie Government. If they are suddenly going to start educating an unwilling Aussie population in droves, it seems to me that they will need VET teachers in droves as well in order to do it.

A basic lack of adult numeracy and literacy seems to be holding many Aussie workers back. I've read very similar claims in the UK as well. The "education for the masses" mantra in the UK does not seem to have any discernible effect on the masses who don't wish to become educated, as far as I can see, but still!

For what it is worth, my personal - purely personal - belief if that if teaching can't inspire a child whilst s/he is very young and impressionable then s/he is likely to reject "book learning" for ever. I doubt whether slamming the stable door after the horse has bolted really works in a Western economy?

However if the Aussie Government's initiatives work then it seems to be that masses of VET Teachers will be needed. Killing off the GSM visa program will force Aussie employers into sponsoring the migrant VET Teachers for visas, it seems to me. It would take too long to train Aussie VET Teachers from scratch before they could start teaching Aussie youngsters and adults, so they will need migrant VET Teachers whether the Minister for Immi likes it or not, I suspect.

Cheers

Gill

sorry - me must be daft but can't find jobs list when I click on the link?

Can anyone please tell me where to look on the link, thanks?

the list of occupations was only in the print version so you cant see it online. Bit of a pain!

[quote name=Gollywobbler;728497

I think that VET Teachers are on the new Workforce Australia list (or whatever it is called) that Skills Australia recently pushed at the Aussie Government. If they are suddenly going to start educating an unwilling Aussie population in droves' date=' it seems to me that they will need VET teachers in droves as well in order to do it.

A basic lack of adult numeracy and literacy seems to be holding many Aussie workers back. I've read very similar claims in the UK as well. The "education for the masses" mantra in the UK does not seem to have any discernible effect on the masses who don't wish to become educated, as far as I can see, but still!

Oh, how I wish this would come true. Selfish, I know, but I can't help it!

As you rightly point out Gill, there has not been much success in the Skills for Life strategy designed to address the literacy and numeracy levels in the UK. Yeah. lots of people have 'taken the test', but a lot of these were people who would probably never work anyway (for various reasons).

Likewise workplace literacy/numeracy course have had little impact (mostly because the courses were too short and didn't really teach anything other than how to pass the test).

God, that sounds really cynical, doesn't it? Hopefully, it would be approached differently in Australia. The whole strategy is dying a death now, as the 14-16 yr old market is more lucrative for colleges. I'm very lucky (not), as I get to teach all the kids who schools don't want/can't cope with, for considerably less money than I would get in schools. Saying that though, I love it!

While I am (hopefully) migrating as a VET teacher, I have resigned myself to doing absolutely anything to keep the money coming in. It would be great to think that I could carry on doing a job I love over there.

Mmmm very interesting.

All this talk about VET training, the role of TAFE and the need for literacy courses, why are vocational teachers not even mentioned on the draft SOL list?

As a VET teacher working in TAFE with a literacy major, why am i still bottom of the prioritisation list if training is such a key policy area?

is this the list.,., if so.,., and your on it.,.,., are you moved to Cat 2???

SOL - SOL - Skilled Occupations List - Australian Migration Requirements

[edit] > sorry.,., abit gunhoe then.,., not been on for a while due to illness.,.,., got a little excited.. mid 2010 for the `biggy`list.

Guest VickyMel

Unfortunately not - Cat 2 is for people on the State Migration Plans (not available yet)

Not sure if the link you give is the old or the draft SOL list - but is a migration agents list. As far as I am aware the new SOL that will be effective later this year is still only draft form and as yet still undecided and may change (re the link I gave above in an earlier post)

VickyMel

[edit] > sorry.,., abit gunhoe then.,., not been on for a while due to illness.,.,., got a little excited.. mid 2010 for the `biggy`list.

hi, as much as i would love this to be the new sol (as im on it ) the very fact that hairdresser is on this list confirms it as old,:arghh:

jools x

Mmmm very interesting.

I haven't read this all the way through yet (waiting until I'm back at work to print it out), but it does seem to play heavily on VET training, especially the lit/num aspect of it, which is my thing. There's a similar situation here (a lot of people coming up to retirement age). So, I'm also confused that VET teachers are not mentioned.

Guest Gollywobbler
Cheers for correcting me in my excited haste. I must learn.... this is Chris Evans were dealing with who only likes to change things were the % of bad news is greater. Chin up and cheers.

....Or when Krudd tells his Kabinet Ministers to go out and sell a particular change to the masses concerned.....

Cheers

Gill

Do not get your hopes up re. numeracy and literacy teaching, even if related appears on SOL.

Due to high AUD, SOL changes and tougher student visa regime many related Oz teachers are under employed or will become unemployed.....as overseas student numbers decrease....colleges close... etc.

In state sector, in Vic at least, domestic TAFE enrolments have dropped due to big fee increases .... therefore more teachers lose hours and work....

Not unrelated to latest news on refugees, media and politicans have whipped Australians into a frenzy regarding anything related to migration and/or population (which most are ignorant of fact that numbers includes temporary 12/16 months visitors) ...... government is terrified of upsetting voters, especially those in marginal electorates with elections coming.... all smells a bit racist to me..... at worst Australians stressed out by work, mortgages, bad tv, "busyness" etc.

PS Unofficial confirmation from a TAFE manager that cookery, patisseries and hairdressing off SOL, but former two will probably have to go again later.....

PS Unofficial confirmation from a TAFE manager that cookery, patisseries and hairdressing off SOL, but former two will probably have to go again later.....

what does this mean for hairdressers with a 175/6 visa pending:confused:

jools x

Guest eddie

jools x

In my ill-informed/un-informed/ignorant position, I would say it means the same as anyone else waiting for the new SOL............b*gger all, until DIAC publish the list!!

I'm not trying to upset anyone, but until the list is published, everything is pure hearsay and rumour.

We have our visa applied for and are in the same boat as everybody else..........waiting with baited breath for the DIAC and Oz Gov to either make us happy or depress us.

Not much help I know (re your situation) but as the song goes "always look on the bright side of life"

Paul & Babs

Guest pinal

jools x

In my ill-informed/un-informed/ignorant position, I would say it means the same as anyone else waiting for the new SOL............b*gger all, until DIAC publish the list!!

I'm not trying to upset anyone, but until the list is published, everything is pure hearsay and rumour.

We have our visa applied for and are in the same boat as everybody else..........waiting with baited breath for the DIAC and Oz Gov to either make us happy or depress us.

Not much help I know (re your situation) but as the song goes "always look on the bright side of life"

Paul & Babs

Hi Friends,

join me with you

Is there any news about SMP?

pls. share if you have, we all curious about it.

correct me if i am wrong but if people already have a visa application in hopefully the only thing we should be looking for is the new state migration lists our visa applications are in the system so they should be safe ?

I hope so! The only thing we're waiting for is to see who may be pushed up to Cat 2 when the SMPs come out.

Archived